Your suggestions
Tappy, you're overlooking one very important thing.

Which is:

Buying prices are not the same as production prices.
The moment you start producing the raw materials yourself - which should be the first step instead of focussing at finished goods - you're cutting down on resource prices big time. As a result the productionprice drops as well, thus gaining a larger profit.
This has always been the case in the three Patrician Games (and I've played all three of them) and the two Port Royale Games (I've also played both).

In Patrician III the best price to buy Iron Goods was around 300 and sell around 350. Thus giving you a 50 gp profit.
The moment you were able to produce your own wood, Iron Ore and Iron Goods, the production price dropped to 276 gp; thus giving you a 74 gp profit.

Taking your example of rum and comparing it with the prices I use, I get a decent profit.

In my games I buy rum for a maximum of 360 gp and selling it for a minimum price of 400. Meaning my lowest profit is 40GP, but often more.
Wood is bought for 96 gp, Sugar for 120 gp: meaning the resources used to produce rum would be 216 GP. Production cost will be the same, so one barrel of rum will cost me 300 gp, the most. Meaning I'm already making 100 gp of one barrel. Even with the captain's cost, the landtax, ship maintainence and crew costs, I'm making a profit.
When producing wood, the price of wood drops to 73 gp. In other words, another 13 gp profit. Sugar is produced for around 96 gp, meaning another 24 gp profit.

All in all, the end result would be that I'm producing rum for around 260 gp - which is 100 gp lower as the maximum buying price - but that I'm still able to ask at least 400 gp for it. Meaning one barrrel or rum gives me 140 gp's income and even with all costs taken out of it, it's still profitable.
Heck! Even selling plain wood is profitable, since in most towns it's being sold for 100 gp's.

Thorin Smile
Hack seinen Kopf ab. Ich brauche einen Aschenbecher!
Hi!
Thank you for your reply, but I think there still will be no change in that behavior. Just imagne the following case: A player decides to start hording all food, because as time went by he started to build up some kind of food monopoly. It would be VERY likely that the whole system would get infected by negative effects like dying of the whole population. That savegame with lots of game time would not be useful anymore. We already ran some tests and the AI trading system, the economics and the population would be infected.
Sorry, but there won't be any change.

Best regards,
Daan
What should be changed however, is the fact that the AI now uses the building materials of the player to build his houses, industries and ships.

I'm aware it should be more profitable if the player provide these materials, however, the profit is small and the AI has the larger advantage because it's his houses which get filled first, his industries that run first and his ships that sail first.

It would be more "honest" if the AI had to provide the building materials as well.
Or that the player provides the materials for the order he / she made and the AI provides the materials needed for what he ordered.
Disadvantage of this is that you need to write an entire new part to the engine. Not to mention you're very likely have to deal with a shipload of bugs.

Another possible solution is, that there's a check if the needed materials are available. If not, the order is not allowed.
This forces both the player and the AI to sell the needed materials before placing the order.
Stockpiling the goods might be an option for the player; however that player is also forced to build lots of warehouses to store those goods; thus forcing the player to loose land to build houses / industries and paying a lot of land-tax for something he doesn't use all the time.
If PR3 has the same amount of cities PR and PR2 had (meaning 60), paying lots of land-tax because of doing this, is a slow kill.

Thorin Smile
the P4 method is fair
AI and human player play with the same rules
you can build a building and dont care about the building materials and after some time the AI provides..
or you can be a big and fast builder and the littlestuff the AI builds doesnt matter much
i think if the AI build more than 3 buildings you lost an opportunity to build these building yourself and it is in some way your fault Smile (as far as i can see the AI only builds depending on the existing demand)
a building order is a good idea if that is done similar to P2/3 where only a limited amount of building could be build at the same time (in P4 you can build a complete city with >1000 building with less than a month - thats not realistic)
"Another possible solution is, that there's a check if the needed materials are available. If not, the order is not allowed." NO that i can build my buildings in advance without enough materials is one of the thing i really like about the new technique each of my supply convoys takes more bricks/wood than necessary and my buildings are build slowly with time even if i placed 200 buildings at once in a town + i get better income if i sell at the materials slowly if i have to sell wood/bricks for 200 building beforehand i would have sell the stuff for 60% of the production price or build 5 building.. sell bricks/wood .. build 5 building.. sell bricks/wood .. build 5 building.. sell bricks/wood .. build 5 building.. sell bricks/wood .. build 5 building.. sell bricks/wood .. thats not a good solution

to clarify i dont care where my building materials comes from - the counting house or the market hall
but building/planing without resources is IMHO a good idea (i buy a plot of land without having any buildingmaterial at that time)
and supplying the materials with a normal convoy over time should be doable

what would be the expected effect of the administrator lock in relation to a "counting house"-build supply?

Hi all.
I'm very glad that another port royale come out.

First i think that pr2 is better of patrician IV for many reason , principally for the naval fight and the possibility to buy cannons and weapons by yourself , also for the warhehouse sistem and the land battles, (not counting the variety of ships ).

Things that i will be glad to see in pr3 :

1 : A improved fight sistem both for naval and land battles ( like total war games, is not a graphic issue , graphic came after gameplay first )

2 A great choice of navy , more to buy and conquest , some expensive ship that you can buy at enormous price and can be your pride (not only by conquest them) , and possibility to customize your fight ships in many details.

3 More buildings (like restaurants , hotels, private docks and so on ) , and a real buildings market , like for the goods , a market based on buildings , to buy and sell at different price depending on : positions , inhabitants , beauty , services and so on.

4 A deeper diplomacy sistem , where your position (relative to your rank and power ) influence more the relations with state , and you can negotiate directly with city council or governors .

5 A better sistem for naval sieges , and for pirates hideouts .

6 Possibility for your ships to raise the jolly roger and act as pirates (without letter of marque) with the risk of loosing the anonymous stats if defeated or if dont defeat totally an enemy.

7 .. absolutely not necessary , more weapons types for land men , like different tipe of arquebuse and muskets, handgun , spears-helbard and swords , maybe defensive armors and shields

8 more fluid duels , so more fast , last system was good but too slow , and make you easy to prevent by enemy attacks , more fast and fluid can become a beauty system for me.

For now is all ,
mine ar only personal suggestions Smile maybe wrongs .
Thanks you and keep up the good work
A new types of buildigs can be your personal dock-remittance , where you can sell ships at your price for who is interested , where you can repair your and others ships with your own materials , where you can built ships , and built them even with projects , i mean :

that you have some types of anknowledges like various types of hull , sails board and so on , you can combine this things and this will work with different stats , like hull resistance , speed with and against wind , number of crew eccetera.

This can be achieved by research and discoverys , and can carry to new types of missions .
Great ideas and many of them are already implemented Wink

Thx!

Best regards,
Daan
Hey Daan,

Any chance we will see perhaps a developer narrated gameplay short or something similar at all before the release date?
Hi!

hmm... This decision is not up me, so I can't say anything about that... sry Sad
There is a video (http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=64447) from a german gaming magazine called GamesStar. This video is about a pre-beta version of PR3.

Best regars,
Daan
Thanks for the prompt reply, It looks good I'm really looking forward to it!

*edit*
Found another one;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYq7WjEZsMQ

Just a few minor clips and a bit of info
I'm not reading through all these post's lol.

Are there gonna warehouse's and such, micro managing and the ability to create new towns?

Take over other towns for myself?

Also have your own fleet of ships?

Is the game modifiable?

Also sandbox game-play where quests are not required?

Also can you have multiple fleets of ships? Like my fleet 7, random captain 10, and/or a trade fleet?

Never played any of the port royal series, but just bought pr2 on gamersgate a few mins ago. Smile

Thanks,
(03-03-2012, 01:38 PM)Malaras Wrote: I'm not reading through all these post's lol.

Are there gonna warehouse's and such, micro managing and the ability to create new towns? Yes

Take over other towns for myself? probably Yes

Also have your own fleet of ships? of course

Is the game modifiable? think so (Patrician 4 was and its the same developer)

Also sandbox game-play where quests are not required? Yes

Also can you have multiple fleets of ships? Like my fleet 7, random captain 10, and/or a trade fleet? Yes

Never played any of the port royal series, but just bought pr2 on gamersgate a few mins ago. Smile have fun! Wink

Thanks,

Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
[Image: http://imghost4you.com/images/46.png]
(05-03-2012, 02:23 PM)Dorimil Wrote:
(03-03-2012, 01:38 PM)Malaras Wrote: I'm not reading through all these post's lol.

Are there gonna warehouse's and such, micro managing and the ability to create new towns? Yes

Take over other towns for myself? probably Yes

Also have your own fleet of ships? of course

Is the game modifiable? think so (Patrician 4 was and its the same developer)

Also sandbox game-play where quests are not required? Yes

Also can you have multiple fleets of ships? Like my fleet 7, random captain 10, and/or a trade fleet? Yes

Never played any of the port royal series, but just bought pr2 on gamersgate a few mins ago. Smile have fun! Wink

Thanks,

Thanks!
Well with PIV must not been very modifiable cause it seemed to die off pretty fast. I never looked into it that much though. Or was to hard to *shrug*.
But it adds replay-ability. If you can mod enough of it.

After playing PR2 some. I haven't taken over any towns or anything yet.

1. But lets say in PR3 i start off making my own town (If possible). Could i eventually be my own nation or what not? Or if i create the said town would i become a little nation then?
I'd like to have the ability for this. Then end up taking over everything.

2. And with War id like for them to actually take towns from one another.. Maybe even Military alliances to balance it out.
That you can withdraw from or create.

With random results. Not being the same every time. Would give enormous replay-ability.

I could go on and on, lol. I need to play some more.

Thanks,
you will not get your "own town" from beginning. you'll have to earn it. Wink
in PR you got it by a quest, in PR2 from the gouverneurs...
Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
[Image: http://imghost4you.com/images/46.png]
Multi-player where other players can play the pirate faction and take on the regular good players.

Quote:3 More buildings (like restaurants , hotels, private docks and so on ) , and a real buildings market , like for the goods , a market based on buildings , to buy and sell at different price depending on : positions , inhabitants , beauty , services and so on.

4 A deeper diplomacy sistem , where your position (relative to your rank and power ) influence more the relations with state , and you can negotiate directly with city council or governors .

5 A better sistem for naval sieges , and for pirates hideouts .

I agree. Need more buildings and better naval combat.

I want to play as a naughty pirate with a base hideout. I want a challenge more than the AI can give -by attacking real human players.
If I could get one change from PR2 it would have to be that in a long running game all of the ports end up with ten cannons in the harbor turning each and every raid into a long, boring, battle of attrition. If you had any skill whatsoever these things posed no real threat to you and they were just about as boring as could be to do over and over and over.... maybe something with a little more variety or excitement there?

My ideas

Spread the cannons out more, why exactly are they defending one tiny section of the port from bombardment?

Ability to "send spy" to a harbor to give player an overhead map view of the area before deciding to commit to the battle or not.

Once engaged having AI retreat/surrender if taking heavy losses and making no gains by defeating player.

More fighting AFTER port battle. At some point you would have to hit land and fight to accomplish anything other than weakening or destroying harbor defenses.

Smaller ships should have toggle to "put out oars" which reduces cannon available to be fired by half but increases speed in low wind. This gives incentive to use smaller ships in combat and makes them more effective when fighting larger opponenets.

Also, it would be awesome if you could SET POLICY for your captains and have them act according to your desires for preferred trade partners and goals and have them just go and use AI instead of having to micromanage everything. When to repair, spending limits, fight of flee in encocunter, etc etc. Just optionally of course.

One more thing, larger lots or smaller houses in towns so that by the time they are "full" they don't look like a real world version of HELL they are so cramped and congested.

Finally naval combat then was all about formation and movement tactics. How and when targets were chosen in an opposing fleet. Think of naval combat.... and think of a system similar to Gratuitous Space Battles! Naturally not a facsimile but a system where you can set up a fleet, choose it's formations, how targets are selected, etc etc. Then you have the option of commanding the flagship yourself or entrusting the battle to your AI captains. Glorious sea battles! I believe this to be the finish line all games of this genre are looking to reach as far as the combat aspects of the game.
Hello, Please make a side missions like a romancing different girls.
Chasing Treasures with a hidden maps. Upgrading ships , buying new once. Building Island Residences where you can stay while you are in a specific city,
I haven't read through ALL the replies on this thread, though I read about half of them. I LOVE games in this era, anything with ships with sails, cannons, pirates. Port Royale 2 was my first true love of this Genre. I have obviously, since played many newer titles.

From what I have seen, as far as available ships, map, and how the towns are set up, it looks very similar to PR2. 16 ships is what PR2 offered, if you DON'T count the Bonus Ship. I would say my favorite game in this genre, albeit on the outside part of the genre, with the graphics, ship control, modding ability, was Age of Pirates 2. The game wasn't really all that, but the ability to mod the game extensively was great. I believe it went from 24 ships, to 116 with the mass modding.

PR2 had some modding, if you went into HEX, you could easily change the stats of ships to reflect more what you thought was realistic, or how you wanted it to be played. Is PR3 going to have a modding system like PR2, or maybe like Age of Pirates 2 with Notepad modding ability, or will it be mostly hardcoded into files that users won't be able to change very easily?

I'd love to see some ship animations, goods, buildings, and any number of things added to the game by your user base. You have a ton of active players that can do wonderful things to make your games that much better if they are allowed within the coding. Just my 2 cents...

Hassie

Another thing I always thought would have been a nice small feature in PR2, would have the extra ships under a captains control, have their own captains/commanders, with their own stats to boost those ships. Maybe have Captains/Admirals in control of a fleet with their stats affecting all the ships to a lesser degree, and Commanders/Captains each have their own stats affecting their own ship to a larger degree.

It is far too late in the process to include this in the game, but are there plans to create expansions, either full expansions, or downloadable content for PR3?
(15-02-2012, 09:43 PM)Daan Hugo Wrote: Hi!
Thank you for your reply, but I think there still will be no change in that behavior. Just imagne the following case: A player decides to start hording all food, because as time went by he started to build up some kind of food monopoly. It would be VERY likely that the whole system would get infected by negative effects like dying of the whole population. That savegame with lots of game time would not be useful anymore. We already ran some tests and the AI trading system, the economics and the population would be infected.
Sorry, but there won't be any change.

Best regards,
Daan

There are two ways this could be prevented. The first would be that the AI will actively maintain a base amount of "staple" item production that the player can not purchase or cause to go out of business. The second immediate thought would be that each city maintains an emergency supply of materials that the player can not influence or other wise touch.

Ooo...A third idea would be the implementation of "imminent domain" where the colony has the right, in extreme circumstances to relieve necessary materials from private parties that may be hoarding them. Or taking over of property if it is in the greater good of the economy to prevent total collapse.

There are allot of ways to get around the issue using real world examples. Big Grin May be they will help, may be not...but I would like to say that having to depend on the market for everything is not fun. And all to often when it comes to Patrician 4, when I dump in goods to build my own buildings, they just go some where else entirely as the AI hoards things. Yup...annoying.
Something I thought of last night, after a small game of C:CotA.

- How about adding two more ship-types to the game. Which could be done in an add-on or a DLC.

1) The Merchantman; which would have 1000 barrels of cargocapacity, a crew of 200 and having 40 cannons aboard. Ship-size and stats should be between the Ship-of-the-Line and the War-Galleon, except for the speed; which should be around 11 knots. Of course, operating this ship wouldn't be cheap, but the large cargo-space should compensate that.

2) The Clipper (or Klipper). This one should be small, something between a Military Corvette and a Military Frigate, having no more but 20 cannons - and crew according to that - but also the highest speed. 15-16 knots at least. Operating costs will be lower as the two military vessels because of the smaller crew. The lower cargo space would be a slight disadvantage, but the higher speed of the ship would compensate that.

Thorin Smile
(27-04-2012, 05:37 PM)Zoron007 Wrote: Hello,

Will make the game Port Royale 3 in 3D has been viewed as a possibility? At least on PC and PS3?

Would make great naval battles in 3D not?

(scratches head) uhhh...from the screen shots it looks like the game is in 3D. If your perhaps talking about making the game available for 3D monitors and TV's...then that is a different can of worms.
i play the german client so i have to translate everything by my own knowledge :>

-Vicekings should give you an audiance even if you dont have 75% "respect" for the nation as long as you are not at War or in posession of a Letter of marque from a hostile nation

Depending on your rank, like Great Admiral or Fleet Admiral, they have high ranks and damn ...i would listen what they have to say

- A different battle system for Naval Fights (i.E Sid Meiers Pirates remake had a real nice 1vs1 (flagship) battle with easy controls
May not replace the current one but maybe add a option for "Arcade Naval Battles" so it would become a user choice

- Spread plagues over the citys by Player Trade, if you buy something or hire new crewmembers in a plagued city theres a x% chance that they / its "infectet" so if you would sell it in another city or "sell" the crew there would be another x% chance of infecting the city

of course trade routes need to be editable to make sure you only sell in Plagued citys and not buy anything there, or avoid them completly also the chances need to be low to spread it otherwise you could abuse it to sell Clothes

-Becoming a pirate, maybe needs some work, like building your own hideout whereever you like with a storage and little docks to repair your vessels and be able to sneak into citys if your a wanted pirate to make contacts with merchants to sell your goods, maybe poor citys allow you to enter even if they are hostile with you but because they are poor they just NEED to trade with Pirate Scum to survive and Rich citys or "capitals" will shoot you on sight Smile
I've just started playing, but I already have 1 big suggestion.

The small size of the commodity trading window is really bugging me. I hate having to scroll up and down to see all the commodities, which makes it harder to get an idea of the overall picture. We should at least have the option to make the window taller, so all the commodities can show at once without having to scroll.

EDIT: Also, why can I set up Auto-sell in my warehouses, but not autobuy? And why can't I set the prices individually like in PR2?
Having the current cargo vs capacity right in the trade screen window for town vs convoy would be handy.
(04-05-2012, 10:59 PM)BumpInTheNight Wrote: Having the current cargo vs capacity right in the trade screen window for town vs convoy would be handy.

Yep, this too
(04-05-2012, 09:13 PM)TheDudeAbides Wrote: I've just started playing, but I already have 1 big suggestion.

The small size of the commodity trading window is really bugging me. I hate having to scroll up and down to see all the commodities, which makes it harder to get an idea of the overall picture. We should at least have the option to make the window taller, so all the commodities can show at once without having to scroll.

EDIT: Also, why can I set up Auto-sell in my warehouses, but not autobuy? And why can't I set the prices individually like in PR2?

and I whole heartedly agree with having all of the commodities on the same screen without needing to scroll. We're easily able to show well over 40 rows of text on pretty much any monitor sold today...why is this game still trying to obfuscate the list through a scrolling menu is beyond me. Well not beyond me but more of a 'deal with various screen resolutions intelligently', come on.
Please add Quick Save shortcut on keyboard. I have lost 2 hours of work because of crash, Auto-Save has been turned off and I don't even know how it did that.
I'll suggest as i see it after starting playing as trader in campaign.

The stocks of goods are way to slow(always low in EVERY city).. standing in port royale holding space until rom gets over 27 in stock for good price buy 5 and wait for more stuck is boring as hell... i sailed 2 times around the world and not once did i get over 70 tons of good worth selling wtf ?

Trade screen, why is there a scroll ? let us see the whole screen !
And please kill that slider... give back 1-10-100 option .. much better!

personally the way a trader starts is WAY to slow and boring right now...

I think by trying to simplyfi the game you destroyed what was some of the best points in PR2..
Include a PDF map...

Let us have more than one window open at a time and have them so we can scale the text so we don't have to scroll...

Get rid of the slider for buying/selling items, increment in the 1-10-100 option (like debatman said)
There are too little flag choices.

Customizable flags would be nice feature to add.