Your suggestions
Dear Graxster,

all i'm saying is, that you've got to pick the right side... in war... you seem to be very pro Spain and very... well, against Holland. I mean, Spain possesses 30 cities (i'm not 100% sure about this figure) in 1550 and the dutch 6 cities (not sure either), so the potential to gain more profit by helping the dutch is higher. Don't let hate get in your way:

Quote:I'm a Spaniard, and I hate the Dutch.

Anyway, the splitting of reputation when it comes to alliances is - i totally agree - a big pain in the ass BUT i'm fine with the rest of the reputation system.

By the way... i'm very pro England but that doesn't keep me from attacking them if it's... say... convenient? Big Grin

Ahoy.
"Merchant and pirate were for a long period one and the same person. Even today mercantile morality is really nothing but a refinement of piratical morality."
A suggestion..

Maybe a thread that just list's the important bits that are being worked on for the next patch?

No need to go into any great detail on each bit, or indeed any bits, just say the important ones that appear to be near and dear to those posting. There is also no need for a patch date either, just a small piece of communication between the devs and the player base to inform them "hey, this is what we are working on for the next patch" if it make's it in all well and good, if not, maybe next patch.

Small pieces of information always make's folk happy Smile
(04-06-2012, 07:20 PM)Graxster Wrote: The point here is that it's difficult to get your reputation high enough to purchase a letter of marque. Later in the game 99% of the Governors want you to build businesses to gain +5% rep. Your rep can drop significantly due to alliances (I've had mine drop by 41%). And you have to pay for the letter of marque. Also, the nation you attack will hate you and attack all your traders/convoys, etc, and it will take quite a while for your rep to go from 0 back to the 25% baseline. All that being said, you should at least have a decent minimum amount of time to be able to accomplish something when a war breaks out.

Not true ... If a nation is in checkmate (2 towns) and your rep with that nation is 25% or greater, you can get a LOM. They are in deperate need of help! ... Yeah yeah, not documented, but hey.

Allied nations averaging rep is a good thing! If you juggle the nations that are check mated with your favorite nation you can have 2 nations with 100% rep!! If either one goes allie with a 25% nation then you can work on the rep of that 3rd nation ... etc, etc, etc.

At that point, you can perform piracy for just a moment (take town), and they won't bother you.

These aren't suggestions per say (to dev), but suggestions none the less.
Something I've proposed before is this:

Quote:Something I thought of last night, after a small game of C:CotA.

- How about adding two more ship-types to the game. Which could be done in an add-on or a DLC.

1) The Merchantman; which would have 1000 barrels of cargocapacity, a crew of 200 and having 40 cannons aboard. Ship-size and stats should be between the Ship-of-the-Line and the War-Galleon, except for the speed; which should be around 11 knots. Of course, operating this ship wouldn't be cheap, but the large cargo-space should compensate that.

2) The Clipper (or Klipper). This one should be small, something between a Military Corvette and a Military Frigate, having no more but 20 cannons - and crew according to that - but also the highest speed. 15-16 knots at least. Operating costs will be lower as the two military vessels because of the smaller crew. The lower cargo space would be a slight disadvantage, but the higher speed of the ship would compensate that.

Thorin Smile

I've reworked my proposal now and would like to suggest to add the following in a future add-on / dlc:

new ships

1) Cutter: Small warship, set to hunt pirates. Crew 10-25, room for maximum 10 more; 12 (light) cannons, speed 14 knts.

2) Snow: Medium sized warship, set to hunt pirates. Crew 13 - 32, room for maximum 10 more; 16 (light) cannons, speed 15 knts

3) Schooner (to replace the Clipper): Medium sized trade-ship. Crew 15 - 40, cargospace 400 barrels, 12 (medium) cannons, speed 16 knts

4) Lugger: Medium sized tradeship, crew 5 - 40, cargospace 600 barrels, 8 (heavy) cannons, speed 12 knts

5) East India Man (aka "Merchantman): Large tradeship. Crew 60 - 150, cargospace 2.000 barrels, 20 (Heavy) cannons, speed 10 knts.

weapon improvements

Split the cannons in 3 different classes, needing 3 different amounts of crew to operate.

1) Light cannons: needs 3 crew to operate, damage factor 0.67. Used at the Carrack, Caravelle, Cutter, Snow, Sloop, Pinace, Flute.

2) Medium cannons: needs 4 crew to operate, damage factor 1.0 (means it's the cannon used in the present game). Used at Schooner, Brig, Pirate-bargue, Trading Flute, Galleon, Corvette, Mil.-corvette.

3) Heavy Cannons: Needs 5 crew to operate. Damage factor 1.33. Used at Bargue, Frigate, Mil.-frigate, War-galleon, Merchantman, Liner.

Research

This could be done at a university, which is available only in the Vice-roy's town - or the player's "Capitol" - and after a certain rank. In it new ship-types - i.e. Schooner, Merchantman - can be researched, as well as ship improvements like increasing cargospace - in exchange for loosing hullpoints - better sails, stronger hulls - in exchange for loosing cargospace - etc.

Trading with Europe

By adding the 4 European major trading cities of the countries, the player would be able to send surplus goods to Europe, in exchange to some luxeries required for special missions.
Those 4 cities would be: Amsterdam (NL), London (Eng), Barcelona (Sp) and Marseille (Fr).
Goods one could buy there could be: Spices, wine, Tea (anyone up for creating their own "Boston Tea Party? Big Grin )
Additional missions could be to send a certain amount of colonial goods (Coffee, tobacco, dyes, cocoa) to Europe, in return of the "European goods".

Splitting of the ships

If trading with Europe is added, the available ships should be split in what they're able to do. A Pinace wasn't able to cross the ocean, while using a Merchantman to trade between two colonies is a waste of money.
So I'd like to propose to split the available ships in a Coastal fleet (unable to cross the ocean or sail long distances) and an Ocean going fleet.

Coastal fleet: Pinace, Sloop, (Pirate-)Bargue, Brig, Lugger, Snow, Corvette, (Mil.-)Corvette.

Ocean going fleet: Carrack, Caravelle, (Trading-)Flute, (War-)Galleon, Schooner, (Mil.-)Frigate, Liner, Merchantman.

Thorin Smile
Hack seinen Kopf ab. Ich brauche einen Aschenbecher!
I am grateful for the fact that you listen to the community, and you care about the game even after its premiere. I still remember the previous game, and I am optimistic as you try to perfect your latest product. keep it up !
To "solve" the problem that the player's towns aren't belonging to any nation:

How about adding a 5th nation to the 4 we already have and let the player decide which 4 nations he / she wants to start with?

By doing so, the player has the ability to side with a new nation and to conquer cities for that nation, while at the same time that new nation is able to supply the player with new ships.

Looking at the historical colonial powers, I'd like to suggest Portugal to be this 5th nation.

Thorin Smile
How about the possibility for more building space in cities? Sounds like a good idea to me.
Naval Combat Suggestions:

PLEASE::

1. HOTKEYS FOR COMBAT would make a huge difference
for switching between ships, switching ammo, clickable targeting
These things would make ship combat managable

and/or

2. PAUSE (Speed 0) DURING COMBAT to allow commands to be given to different ships, change ammo, etc.

3. SHORTER BOARDING TIMER. Boarding is more difficult than it should be, and with the other issues with ship combat, makes for losing fights.

4. A WAY TO ESCAPE the battle would be appropriate.
I thought earlier PR's had this, but I may be confusing with Pirates! If so, pardon Smile At any rate, it was a good feature. There's no reason every battle needs to be a battle to the death for everything I'm carrying and all my ships. I should be able to use faster ships or tactics (taking down their sails and bailing out if I have too few crew) to escape off the battlefield and attempt to make a run for it.

5. Better AI eg
-Not firing on me when I'm boarding
-The ability to send a ship that is almost dead off in a straight line away from the battle instead of it turning right back into the battle when I click over to the ships that are still fighting

6. a FIRING ARC would be awesome

I'm left handed, have my mouse on the left, and finding the clicking during naval combat to be especially debilitating, but these suggestions aren't just for the L-handed folk. I've played all the PR's and Patricians. I love the graphic changes and I think the naval battles are halfway there. This can be a great game but some changes need to be made please!

For other stuff, not as important but would be nice:

-I enjoyed the old town attacks. Gave some variety to the game. I can understand the need to attack a town several times and gear up with a LOT of crew to do it, but no need for it to be rush in and watch stuff.
-Pirating should be tough, but it should be viable to play as one. As it stands it's nearly impossible to get outfitted so its not very fun eh.
- Reputation system need to be revamped as others have said. Should be more persistent rather than just falling if I'm at sea for a month or two! For the missions, getting rep up and buying licenses and building two businesses to get a fleeting 5% raise in rep is disheartening.

THANKS FOR LISTENING!
(02-07-2012, 07:34 PM)Schwib Wrote: 4. Better AI eg
-Not firing on me when I'm boarding

Oh man yes, my own ships take so much friendly fire its not even funny and there's no way to even tell your AI based ones to buzz off. Even choosing that little shield tactic they will bumble along blasting away at the enemies even when I'm sitting directly between them.
I would like to give some comments and suggestions Smile

Quoting from the "Rebalancing" thread:
"- A 'flee' tactic will not be implemented as every MP-gamer will probably agree (would be a massive exploit - we already implemented a timer for not fleeing). A player should be able to calculate his/her chances before a naval battle even starts (I personally won't even start a battle knowing that I'm going to flee...).

8) Beeing a pirate
We want to inrease the reward for plundering a town."

==> "A player should be able to calculate his/her chances before a naval battle even starts"
(+) This one is do-able IF you only have a small number of convoys. But if you have a LOT of convoys, there's no way you can control / give attention to them all.
==> "We want to inrease the reward for plundering a town."
(+) How could a pirate replenish his sailors? His convoys would be rejected in every town because of the low reputation level. And furthermore, how could he repair his convoys without being able to build his own hideout? (same reason, rejected entry in every port) o_O? So i don't think there's really a "pirate life" in PR3.... if you want to be a pirate, you must first annex / take over a town or two, but with the slow settlers growth, you can't expect to replenish a large contingent of convoys. Even so, in this scenario, you can't start pirating from the beginning of the game.

My own suggestions:

1. You might want to consider implementing the same feature to switch from one dock to another, so it will cause less headache to check for ships being sold there. ( just like we can switch with TAB to inspect our warehouses ).

2. Automatic "MAX" after a convoy is attacked (auto battle). So when you have more than 3 battleships in the convoy, the battleships which aren't in the battle group would replace the damaged battleships after the battle. This way, a convoy could last far longer in multiple battles. ( You can't expect to CONTROL the whole convoys you have, especially when you have more than 90 convoys like i do (lol) ). Without this feature, a convoy would easily be destroyed in multiple battles, bringing the rest of the ships which aren't in the battle group with it.

3. You might want to check the scrollbar feature in the convoy's ship list ( in the harbour ). Every time you move a ship from the bottom of the list, the scrollbar runs back to the top, so we have to scroll back down each time. Imagine when you're going to move ships from a convoy which consists of 50 ships. Have a nice scrolling down... lol. Similar case for the Chronicle,Log Book, and the Convoys & towns window. Would you consider to change it a bit, so when we press F1 / F2 / F3, it will show the last tab we pressed, not the "default" tab?

4. I would suggest that you would allow us to wipe out the entire nations from the Caribbean (we can only reduce a nation's port number down to 2). This way, a full domination scenario could take place.

5. Allowing pirates to annex towns/ports, or giving an option to toggle whether we allow the pirates to annex towns or not. So in a sense, every pirate would be considered like a nation.. of course without the reputation gain/loss feature... lol . Big Grin . Besides, it's the Caribbean ! Big Grin

6. I did an experiment, i tried to starve a town. The town population couldn't be reduced below 400. Wouldn't it be better if you consider a "unpopulated" / "abandoned" town scenario? So when the population is down to 0, the nation which owns the town will lose its ownership.

7. There is a hotkey for every building in town, except the HARBOUR. Big Grin

8. When you're attacking a town, the game still goes on... unlike when you're in a naval battle with another convoy. This kinda hard when your other convoy(s) are being attacked at the same time... would you consider to change this? Smile

9. Wouldn't it be better if the commodity list window shows the whole commodities? So we don't have to scroll down? Or, it could be made resize-able.

That's all from me.. for now.. i'll update my suggestions when i have more. Smile
Oh btw, these are suggestions, not demands, so please treat them as such Big Grin
I'm sorry if some / all of them seem ridiculous / trivial, they're just popping out from my head and i wrote them down Smile

(02-07-2012, 07:34 PM)Schwib Wrote: Naval Combat Suggestions:

PLEASE::

1. HOTKEYS FOR COMBAT would make a huge difference
for switching between ships, switching ammo, clickable targeting
These things would make ship combat managable

3. SHORTER BOARDING TIMER. Boarding is more difficult than it should be, and with the other issues with ship combat, makes for losing fights.

(+) There are already hotkeys to switch ammos... try F2 F3 and F4. Unfortunately i can't find the hotkeys for switching ships Big Grin

(+) A little tip for boarding, use only 1 ship to board another ship. Don't try to board a single ship with multiple ships. I've just found this out yesterday... the success rate is much higher.
[/quote]

(+) There are already hotkeys to switch ammos... try F2 F3 and F4. Unfortunately i can't find the hotkeys for switching ships Big Grin

(+) A little tip for boarding, use only 1 ship to board another ship. Don't try to board a single ship with multiple ships. I've just found this out yesterday... the success rate is much higher.
[/quote]

Wow thanks! Didnt know about hotkeys for ammo. Smile

I take back my suggestion on boarding time. The correction to effectiveness of chain shot included in the patch will solve my issue with it.
(13-07-2012, 08:22 AM)Schwib Wrote: Wow thanks! Didnt know about hotkeys for ammo. Smile

I take back my suggestion on boarding time. The correction to effectiveness of chain shot included in the patch will solve my issue with it.

You're welcome. I didn't know about the hotkeys myself until i did a little experiment of my own. i pressed the whole buttons on the keyboard for clues... Big Grin
(13-07-2012, 05:11 AM)Samurai Wrote: (+) Unfortunately i can't find the hotkeys for switching ships Big Grin
from http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread...#pid133043
(23-05-2012, 12:09 AM)Falko Wrote: if you add the "<key name"-lines you have some more hotkeys
Code:
<control name="AK_SEABATTLE_SHIP_LIST" inisection="SEABATTLE_SHIP_LIST">
    <key name="EKI_Y" shiftmask="0"/>
    <pad-button name="BTN_RSHOULDER"/>
  </control>
cycle through the ships 1->2->3->1... (since 1-3 as a hotkey doesnt seem to work Sad ) with "Y"
After reading this thread :
http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=14757
And specifically this post in particular :
http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread...#pid132190
then I realize that "Kalypso" is in an impossible situation as the computer game players seems divided very much in taste....
The person in the post specifically referred to wants the "Port Royale 2" way back with the battles and sword fighting - whatever , and much of what this person wants is why I really loathed/hated "Port Royale 2" . I like the "Port Royale 1" but hated the second for all the non "strategy ships trade-game" features that were involved/introduced - including the "action game duels" and changes in the ships battles systems....
I would utterly hate having to fight "Action game like'" duels in a "strategy trade game" , just as much and as harshly as I hate them turned into "real life" ships "battle simulator" games.....
Personally I would prefer all the game play in games like the "Patrician" and "Port Royale" series to be STRATEGY game play and I HATE when I have to deal with Action game like features or Simulator like features in "my" strategy games - I can play either - but do not like them mixed.....
But apparantly some people DO like these things mixed as much as there are people interested in history that sits and worries about the TOTAL historical accuray of some games where it really doesn't matter that if it is so totally accurate....
So I unless "Kalypso" would like to follow my advice then I don't see them satisfy any majority of players...
My advice for any game company is "configurability!" , "configurability!" , "configurability!" . That is to make their games as giving as high a player experience customization as posiible by allowing as much of the game to be configured to be played in as many ways as possible , features be able to be turned off and and level of difficulty to be highly configuarble.....
Ofcourse building and balancing a highly customizable game(s) would not only take great minds but probably also be much more costly why I can not see "Kalypso" be neither willing nor able to do so.
So I understand that "Kalypso" is in a difficult situation where it will probably never be able to satisfy all customers/game players.....
Hi, the "double/triple ship maintenance" difficulty option also doubles/triples the ship buy price (even though this isn't specified), it would be great if maintenance increase and ship price increase could be separate difficulty options. Also convoy costs need to be displayed correctly when using this option (currently does not reflect the increased convoy cost when using double/triple maintenance).
A few issues, several ideas, a number of comments - some of which have been brought up before, either by me or by others:

1) Expanding city borders - while patch 1.2 diminished the quantity of building missions and thus made sure it takes us much longer to fill up cities and get rich, the city size limit is just as annoying. Out of all of the suggestions I'm about to make on this post, this seems to be one of the easiest to implement. Just let us build more buildings in each cities. It can be a privilege only from a certain rank and up, it can (and probably should) cost us extra money, but I am convinced it should be possible.

2) Founding new cities - like others have suggested before. Seems like a logical next step in the development of an empire. At first you just trade between cities, then you get popular, rich and powerful, so you can acquire cities either peacefully or by force, and eventually, it makes sense to me you could buy a stretch of land and found your own city.

3) Razing cities - I'm not sure myself if that's a good idea or not, but I thought I'd bring it up and see what everyone else thinks. Since we can plunder and conquer towns, maybe we should also have the option to completely obliterate a city and blast it off the map? Has anyone ever thought about this?

4) Ranks - seems to me like going up ranks takes a reasonable amount of time and effort during the beginning of the game, up until the point when you hit "Sailor", when you can start building. From that point on, you can go up the ladder to "Ruler Of The Sea" so quickly and so easily, that the entire concept loses its meaning, in my opinion. Why not spread the requirements, so it takes us longer? In addition, I don't recall encountering any practical advantages to being of a higher rank than Sailor (except being able to build big shipyards), only disadvantages (raising captain skills becomes extremely more expansive).

5) "Endgame Philosophy" - I noticed quite a few discussions about what happens and what should happen during the late phases of the game. Some people want a final practical goal, so they can declare they "finished" the game, others simply complained the game becomes boring once you hit a certain stage, where you've got tons of money and nothing interesting to do with it. While I don't share the need to officially finish the game, I do feel that interesting new features could make the late phases of the game much more interesting and fun to play. Such features could include deeper city management abilities (such as finance, infra-structure, health-care, education, transportation and so on), relations with the europian mainland, relations with the natives and using the land masses for settlements, instead of just the coasts. It will obviously won't be the traditional "Port Royal" anymore, but if implemented right, it could be better.

I'd love to get feedback and comments on that. Are any of those things even being considered?

K.
(24-07-2012, 02:45 PM)Kelesis666 Wrote: 1) Expanding city borders - while patch 1.2 diminished the quantity of building missions and thus made sure it takes us much longer to fill up cities and get rich, the city size limit is just as annoying. Out of all of the suggestions I'm about to make on this post, this seems to be one of the easiest to implement. Just let us build more buildings in each cities. It can be a privilege only from a certain rank and up, it can (and probably should) cost us extra money, but I am convinced it should be possible.

2) Founding new cities - like others have suggested before. Seems like a logical next step in the development of an empire. At first you just trade between cities, then you get popular, rich and powerful, so you can acquire cities either peacefully or by force, and eventually, it makes sense to me you could buy a stretch of land and found your own city.

--------------------
--------------------

5) ............... While I don't share the need to officially finish the game, I do feel that interesting new features could make the late phases of the game much more interesting and fun to play. Such features could include deeper city management abilities (such as finance, infra-structure, health-care, education, transportation and so on), relations with the europian mainland, relations with the natives and using the land masses for settlements, instead of just the coasts. It will obviously won't be the traditional "Port Royal" anymore, but if implemented right, it could be better.

Very good ideas..... IMO.

(04-06-2012, 11:32 AM)legein Wrote: [I guess it's the same here... they declared war, you took one of their few towns "easily" as you said and the dutch "surrendered" immediately only to not lose another town. It's not that far fetched, don't you think?

I experienced it too... only difference i captured/sunk about 4 to 5 dutch military convoys to weaken the dutch thus preventing a dutch assault on Havanna (i accepted a protection-mission from the gouverneur of Havanna). The war lasted for about one and a half week.

If it were the other way around (me capturing spanish military convoys or you taking a spanish town for the dutch), the war probably would've lasted longer than that.

Just guessing here. Wink

I guess that you may have a point there , when I bought a LOM then it were against the Dutch , and after a few days I had decimated their fleet by sinking, in auto battle (I hate the freakin poor/annoying 3D shooter Simulator battle system) a commercial conwoy and a strong military convoy (or two?) and after that they suddenly made peace. But it is still annoying that the LOM is so short lived when it costs a bundle and when the freakin auto battle system doesn't capture ships and goods , in autobattle they just sinks the ships so one more or less just looses in a situation like that as one both loose money for LOM + repairs + loose trade with hostile nations...
Hello.
I would like to remind that playing as a pirate and having at least one city, there is still a serious problem with finding a crew to my convoys. The crew during moderate battles is killed rather quickly and now having two cities and four convoys of galleons most of the time is flying without a crew which prevents me from looting cities. Or maybe I forget something? Please advice..
(27-07-2012, 03:21 PM)Potato Wrote: Hello.
I would like to remind that playing as a pirate and having at least one city, there is still a serious problem with finding a crew to my convoys. The crew during moderate battles is killed rather quickly and now having two cities and four convoys of galleons most of the time is flying without a crew which prevents me from looting cities. Or maybe I forget something? Please advice..

Potato,

Goto this link in the forum ... "Pirates way is Possible".
http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=15002

I experimented with piracy and it might provide some hints. Your problem (crews) is a tough problem to tackle so you have to build schools and attack merchant convoys. Bascially, I only use one convoy to plunder while the other attack convoys remain idle to collect sailors at my 2 towns ... Then, I rotate the convoys through plunder duty so one convoy is always plundering.

Basically, it's my 33% rule (using 3 convoys), and it's something I learned from reading about the Atlantic War during WWII ... Donitz (german admiral) may have had 300 submarines (early war), but only 33% (100 uboats) were actually doing something, 100 boats were in port, and 100 boats were transitioning back and forth to their operation area or to port. Basically, that's my strategy and you can't have all your convoys plundering or you'll have a sailor shortage.

- Rob

EDIT : .... There are still some things they can do to make a pirates life better in PR3 ... Yes, sailor shortage (like you said) is still a problem, but it can be managed.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE allow us to resize the trading window, or make it scale better with resolution. It's immersion-breaking to only have 10 of the goods in the trading window, and having to scroll up and down EVERY time. The 1.2 patch improved a lot of things, and this little issue will make the game VERY playable for me.

Thanks!
(31-07-2012, 05:21 PM)TheDudeAbides Wrote: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE allow us to resize the trading window, or make it scale better with resolution. It's immersion-breaking to only have 10 of the goods in the trading window, and having to scroll up and down EVERY time. The 1.2 patch improved a lot of things, and this little issue will make the game VERY playable for me.

Thanks!

I totally agree. Fixing this would definitely make trading easier. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm assuming most of us, who play the game, have the hardware to play the game at a high resolution. While the graphics themselves aren't the most important feature in a game like this, the GUI definitely makes it to the top 3, in my opinion.
Coffee and cacao are not priced properly. For every other commodity, the max price (when a town has 0 inventory) follows the equation:

P = 400 x B

where P is the price and B is the number of business required to produce one of that commodity per day.

For example, 1 cotton farm produces 4 cotton per day, so the B value is then 0.25, and the max price is 100.

The same holds true for all other processed commodities: 1 corn farm and 2 stockyards produce 2 meat, so the B value is (1+2)/2 = 1.5 and the max price is 600.

Coffee and cacao are tricky since there are so many layers, but 2 sawmills, 4 foundries, 6 blacksmiths, and 24 coffee plantations produce 48 coffee. The B value is (2+4+6+24)/48 = .75 so the max price should be 300. Instead in the game it's only 280.
@mburlone

I don't know why you make up such a confusing calculation. You can adjust the max. prize before the game. When you start a new game you click the detail button at the level of difficulty and there you can change the max. prize from 200% to 180% or 160%. According to that it's pretty easy to figure out the max. prize for each commodity. It's the production cost multiplied by 2, 1.8 or 1.6.
Coffee and cacao would therefore be 140 x 2 = 280. But i think they (Kalypso) made a calculation mistake. If you calculate the production costs of coffee/cacao your result would be 150.

Production costs:
Every building costs a 100 coins maintenance and 25 workers cost a 100 coins per day.
Now you have to add the costs of all resources and divide that by the output.
Coffee and cacao need 0.5 tools per day (according to the manual). The production costs of tools are 200 coins. Multiplied by 0.5 results in 100.

The calculation for the production costs of coffee and cacao should be:

(100 + 100 + 100)/2 = 150

The max. prize, again, should be:

150 x 2 = 300

So in the end your result should be right but your calculation method is confusing at best.
Maybe an official from Kalypso or Gaming Minds shed some light on this.

If you need only two-fifths of tools per day the calculation would result in production costs of 140 for coffee/cacao.

Ahoy.
"Merchant and pirate were for a long period one and the same person. Even today mercantile morality is really nothing but a refinement of piratical morality."
I would like to suggest an update of the "in-game" help.
The "in-game" start "trader campaign" help says that you can go to the Viceroy and talk about taking over a town as soon as you have 9 businesses in a town ,

[Image: http://i49.tinypic.com/33lhto1.jpg]

which is very far from what the manual at "Steam" says :
"As soon as a town meets the following conditions, you can ask the viceroy of this town’s
nation if he will transfer the town’s administrative rights to you:
• You have the rank of “navigator” or higher and your reputation with the
nation is over 90%.
• You have more than 10 businesses in the town and employ more than 75% of
the workers in the town.
• The town has the highest prosperity status, “wealth,” and you enjoy a
popularity of over 90% among the citizens."

----------------------------------------------------

So if one sits with "in-game" help and in the game have the rank of Commodore (needs another ship for next rank - didn't see one I liked yet) , have the 9 businesses in the town + have 100 % rep. with both nation and town (says hero of the town or something like that) , then it is a bit annoying to have to sit and wonder why things doesn't work as it says it should and then have to go through the manual just to find out that your efforts so far has been for nothing as what in game help said were not correct or informative enough......
that only means: if you have got 9 businesses in one town in the menu of the viceroi appears a new button. there you find detailled information for taking over a town (the same as in the manual). the new button is the meaning of "can talk to" Wink
Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
[Image: http://imghost4you.com/images/46.png]
(10-08-2012, 02:46 PM)Dorimil Wrote: that only means: if you have got 9 businesses in one town in the menu of the viceroi appears a new button. there you find detailled information for taking over a town (the same as in the manual). the new button is the meaning of "can talk to" Wink

That "might " be so , don't know....
but ,
A) That is not the impression the "in-game" help gives
and
B) No such button "to talk about" blah , blah , blah , exists in my Viceroy town interface (perhaps because the "idiot" wants to offer me a LOM I can not see the use of ? - I can not see the use of the LOM with a game built with a 3D shooter Battle simulator ships battle interface rather than having an optional one where the player can settle for only having to make strategic battle decisions and the ships be able to do fighting and sailing around by themselves - like in Port Royale 1, Patrician II/III, East India Company, Commander Conquest of the Americas - you know, like in a "Strategy game" Wink Tongue ).

[Image: http://i49.tinypic.com/11v5chg.jpg]

[Image: http://i48.tinypic.com/2eam5hx.jpg]

------------------------------------------------------------------
addendum :

Perhaps the problem here is that "Gaming Minds"/"Kalypso Media" can't see that from the way that they present the "economic take over a town" info then it sounds like one can take over any town. Perhaps the function "economic takeover" doesn't work with the town where the Viceroy sits (?) , so I don't know if this is due to a poor manual/poor "in-game" information to the player or if this is a bug in the game....
Actually , from way the "in game help" reads then trying to take over the "Viceroy town" sounds like the obvious step to take - where else than the "Viceroy town" can one both build buildings + open the interface in that town and talk to the Viceroy (?)
(10-08-2012, 02:57 PM)Patrician_Player Wrote: ...... I can not see the use of the LOM with a game built with a 3D shooter Battle simulator ships battle interface rather than having an optional one where the player can settle for only having to make strategic battle decisions and the ships be able to do fighting and sailing around by themselves - like in Port Royale 1, Patrician II/III, East India Company, Commander Conquest of the Americas - you know, like in a "Strategy game" Wink Tongue ).

There is no use to post this in every topic you post in. We do know by now you're not happy with the current battle system of this game. So you two got two choices:

A) shut up about this and keep playing the game
B) shut up about it and start playing another game.

(10-08-2012, 02:57 PM)Patrician_Player Wrote: addendum :

Perhaps the problem here is that "Gaming Minds"/"Kalypso Media" can't see that from the way that they present the "economic take over a town" info then it sounds like one can take over any town. Perhaps the function "economic takeover" doesn't work with the town where the Viceroy sits (?) , so I don't know if this is due to a poor manual/poor "in-game" information to the player or if this is a bug in the game....
Actually , from way the "in game help" reads then trying to take over the "Viceroy town" sounds like the obvious step to take - where else than the "Viceroy town" can one both build buildings + open the interface in that town and talk to the Viceroy (?)

It's also very possible - and imho a lot more likely - that during the devellopment of this game the Dev's decided to make an economical take-over a bit more challenging as by just "owning" 9 businesses. After all, owing 9 businesses just meant you had to build 9 industries and you were able to take over a town. Which in turn meant that a player able to get the licenses fast could own the 52 cities within a few days of playing this game.
And thàt was not what the Dev's had in mind.

Anyway, can we get back to topic, instead of pounding this game into the ground all the time??

Thorin Smile
(11-08-2012, 11:44 AM)Thorin Oakshield Wrote: There is no use to post this in every topic you post in. We do know by now you're not happy with the current battle system of this game. So you two got two choices:

As long as it is as it is I will keep posting my opinion and informing people about what I think is a problem at every opportunity I feel like it.
so
A) Shut up
or
B) If you don't feel like reading my opinion then don't read it !

(11-08-2012, 11:44 AM)Thorin Oakshield Wrote: It's also very possible - and imho a lot more likely - that during the devellopment of this game the Dev's decided to make an economical take-over a bit more challenging as by just "owning" 9 businesses. After all, owing 9 businesses just meant you had to build 9 industries and you were able to take over a town. Which in turn meant that a player able to get the licenses fast could own the 52 cities within a few days of playing this game.
And thàt was not what the Dev's had in mind.

Anyway, can we get back to topic, instead of pounding this game into the ground all the time??

Thorin Smile

Your "what the devs maybe decided to" at what time or whatever doesn't matter what matters is the topic in question.
And I honestly think that YOU ought to take YOUR HATE posts and post them somewhere else as you now have started to name any questions raised/"criticism" or things pointed out as "pounding this game".
Perhaps you ought to go bash someone over in the Patrician IV department , I remember how "friendly" people (not) were over there....
This is just the "Patrician IV" thing all over again with a crowd of company groupees attempting or wanting to stop any form of crticism...

But ofcourse it must be nice for "Gaming Minds"/"Kalypso Media" to have a bunch of hang around groupees to treat any people , that might raise any criticism, bad and "downrate" them or whatever (what do you call it ? - "Scare tactics" ? ) - you really are "a piece of work" - you probably even think that you are sooo righteous......

Any decent company would have asked you to shut up your "groupee" mouthpiece and stop your hate-mongering

I suggest an in-game mouse "hover over" "info/help pop up" in the info interface for hospitals so that players will be informed if the number furthest to the right is "coverage" or "utilization"....

[Image: http://i46.tinypic.com/10mjwwj.jpg]
(11-08-2012, 11:44 AM)Thorin Oakshield Wrote: There is no use to post this in every topic you post in. We do know by now you're not happy with the current battle system of this game. So you two got two choices:

Hahaha The Truth is out there !
God works in mysterieus ways , Buth i do to !!
(11-08-2012, 01:31 PM)clovisoo7 Wrote:

Hahaha The Truth is out there !
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
God works in mysterieus ways , Buth i do to !!

Yes , exactly !!! , and nomatter how much hate-mongering I am being put through I will keep posting The Truth...
Just keep it comming blasphemous ***** ** ****......