Modding THiefs in D3 to have Skills from D2
Thief skills from D2:
Reshuffle battle orders (forgot actual Name)
Currently only Duel and Posion are in D3 and the way they are handled is rather cheap. Like in D2 poison had a % chance and if it failed, then the thief died instead. In D3 you simply use posion, always works, no harm to thief ever.
Steal could only be done by the devs programming it in and apparently the engine won't support that. So they say.
Well I hate thiefs as they are designed, to actually gain levels and have other units in a party. I think I have come up with a way to give them 2 of thier orginal skills and make them solo expendable special units again.
Assassination. The thief is given enough damage to kill any unit in one hit but with a very low % chance to hit. The thief has high ini, so always goes first. Finally the thief only has 10 life. There may be a limit on what the maximum chance to miss is in game. I currently am working in a mod where all units have 100 agility. I gave the thief 1 dex (I will try 0 dex later) and the thief has a 64% chance to miss, or a 36% chance to hit.
Wallah! The thief now enters the arena, gets 1st swing on a target, if it hits, the target is assassinated. Wether it hits or misses the thief will die in the 1st round as the thief will have maybe only 1 agility so the enemy can't miss.
A couple things to work out yet. The thief needs enough move points to reach its target in its 1st turn. Enough to reach any first row, but not enough to be too selective. The thief could also be given teleport, but then it could pick any target.
Problem 1. Cover, if the thief triggers cover and the enemy goes 1st, the thief never gets to attack. Hence perhaps either enough move points to get to the flank of the front row, or teleport.
Problem 2. With Resurrections ini system, a thief might get 2 attacks before the enemy can do anything. So this is meant more for Renassaince.
Problem 3. Cost.. Having an opportunity to remove one of the more powerful enemy units is POWERFUl. Would really change a battle. So what is that worth to balance it out? Call the % chance to hit of the thief 1/3rd. SO on average it would take 3 thieves to assaainate 1 unit. Then again 33%CTH never seems to act like 33% CTH. In D2 40% CTH behaved more like 20% CTH. Have to do more trials to see ie 34%=34% in D3.
Problem 4. THe stupid AI probably would have no idea how to use a modded thief for offensive support. This is the main reason D2 is still superior to D3. Worldmap AI. THen again, if the thief has 80 ini, 15 movepoints, how could the AI not at least get to a players front row for a 36% chance to assassinate the randon unit it attacks.
The cost is a tough one. $200 as in D2 seems low, because Assassination was random in D2. You didn't have a achance to select which unit had a chance of getting killed.
Poison Skill Even if Assassination can now be added in game, a thief with 1 skill isn't too exciting. I don't like how posion was implemented in D3. There is no penalty. So how about having the thief do x amount of poison curse over 3 or 4 turns, but casting the poison kills off the thief? THis might encourage one to use several thiefs like in D2. 1 for poison, a couple more to attempt an assassination. The poison curse wouldn't start until the main hero entered the arena and then the curse turns would take effect.
Fog of War Spell Since infiltration isn't an option. The Thief could have a special global skill to cast its own remove fog of war spell over x amount of hexes after it used up its movement points. This would be the 1 free skill, that has no risk to the thief and aids it in scouting.
I think all 3 of these could be done effectively in Renassaince. The Assassination is dependent on every unit having the same agility like I currently use 100 agility in my mod.
My big question is, what are these 3 skills worth? If the cost is too high, it becomes prohibitive, if the cost is too low, it becomes a game exploit. This is all the thief could do as it would have a leadership of zero and no way of leveling.
UPDATE- Did a very small sample of 16 attacks and had 5 hits. So the % to hit works out as intended, close to 33%. Which somtimes means 6 misses in a row and then 3 out of the next 4 hit. This is similar to when I used 10 thiefs to get just 1 or 2 poisons to a city with a powerful AI stack in D2. It would add a bit more uncertainty as buying 4 thiefs might be throwing much needed gold away, or it could be a huge benefit.
I'd like to hear thoughts on cost. I'm thinking of trying it with $500 just as they cost now. Perhaps increasing cost on the guild as well, to keep it from being used to early. In addition to poison, I might add a skill that reduces enemy chance to hit by 10%, this would also sacrifice the thief. But then it has more choices. Too bad these global skills can't also be made to have a % chance to miss.
(This post was last modified: 21-10-2011 08:52 AM by redgreen.)