New Player, What I Love about Tropico w/ a Few Small Questions
thedkexperience Offline

New Player, What I Love about Tropico w/ a Few Small Questions
I've been lurking on these boards since I picked up Tropico late last week, and I felt that I had to chime in because I've been wowed by this game. Here is what I have found in under a week. (Sorry for a lack of pics but I'm in class.)

1) This is the best game of it's type since Sim City on the Super Nintendo, or Civ Rev on XBox. As someone who played both ad naseum I can honestly say that this game may actually trump both of those fine efforts in the long run.

2) In Sandbox I am currently at 1992 (game set to moderate) and just last night I was able to achieve all 100s across both the foreign and the faction lists. Let it be known that without all of your tips (especially the one about going mining heavy/import all) it probably would have taken me weeks to accomplish this.

3) I actually got hit with 5 tornados at once last night in July of 1982. Once my economy totally recovered (I had to take out 5 consecutive "print money" edicts to buy my way out ... amazingly this actually worked) I declared the "National Day" edict on the 3 year aniversery to commemorate the dead. For some reason I loved this.

Truthfully other than a few minor tweaks, which as a newb I'm probably not even qualified to suggest yet, there is almost nothing I don't really like about this game. I do, however have a few quick questions which I cannot find answers to.

A) What is the sunshine symbol for? I've been hypothesizing that it means something is running at peak efficiency however I saw it late last night over an uncompleted building so I can't believe that I am right.

B) Any tips to get people to go to college? I've done all of the standard stuff (build schools, raise salaries etc.) but I've only graduated 1 person in the decade since it's been built.

C) At the current time I have 2 docks, 3 oil sources, a weapons factory, a cannary and about 15 other awesome things (I just got the 200 buildings achievement) but for the life of me I cannot figure out why my farms aren't exporting beef. I have plenty of garages, teamsters and markets too. Honestly this one is wierd.

D) How long do oil spills effect the fishing?

Thanks!
26-01-2012 05:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Caribbean Stud Offline
Toucan-worshiping environmentalist

RE: New Player, What I Love about Tropico w/ a Few Small Questions
(26-01-2012 05:54 PM)thedkexperience Wrote:  I've been lurking on these boards since I picked up Tropico late last week, and I felt that I had to chime in because I've been wowed by this game. Here is what I have found in under a week. (Sorry for a lack of pics but I'm in class.)

1) This is the best game of it's type since Sim City on the Super Nintendo, or Civ Rev on XBox. As someone who played both ad naseum I can honestly say that this game may actually trump both of those fine efforts in the long run.

2) In Sandbox I am currently at 1992 (game set to moderate) and just last night I was able to achieve all 100s across both the foreign and the faction lists. Let it be known that without all of your tips (especially the one about going mining heavy/import all) it probably would have taken me weeks to accomplish this.

3) I actually got hit with 5 tornados at once last night in July of 1982. Once my economy totally recovered (I had to take out 5 consecutive "print money" edicts to buy my way out ... amazingly this actually worked) I declared the "National Day" edict on the 3 year aniversery to commemorate the dead. For some reason I loved this.

Truthfully other than a few minor tweaks, which as a newb I'm probably not even qualified to suggest yet, there is almost nothing I don't really like about this game. I do, however have a few quick questions which I cannot find answers to.

A) What is the sunshine symbol for? I've been hypothesizing that it means something is running at peak efficiency however I saw it late last night over an uncompleted building so I can't believe that I am right.

B) Any tips to get people to go to college? I've done all of the standard stuff (build schools, raise salaries etc.) but I've only graduated 1 person in the decade since it's been built.

C) At the current time I have 2 docks, 3 oil sources, a weapons factory, a cannary and about 15 other awesome things (I just got the 200 buildings achievement) but for the life of me I cannot figure out why my farms aren't exporting beef. I have plenty of garages, teamsters and markets too. Honestly this one is wierd.

D) How long do oil spills effect the fishing?

Thanks!

It's an awesome game, isn't it? You should try the scenarios as well, they're lots of fun.

A) The sunshine symbol means production/job quality is being boosted at that location. Visit a building with El Prez to do this. If you visit a construction site with El Prez, it will increase the construction speed. If you don't send El Prez to a specific location, he will wander around randomly to nearby buildings. Send El Prez to the Armory or Guard Station to watch him award a medal!

You can also use the tourist blimp ride to affect a large number of buildings in this way.

B) They only go to college if there's a college job opening. I'd suggest Xing out most of your professors at the college, you rarely need more than 2. Generals, engineers, professors, and journalists are all college-educated professions. Build a Science Academy or Radio Station and the college will fill up. Also activate Social Security so they don't have to live in a shack while in school.

C) It takes a few years to export beef. For food-producing buildings, they will hold 100 units for local Tropicans to get food. Once the storage goes over 100, a teamster will pick up the excess and take it to a marketplace. Only after all marketplaces are full will the teamster deliver it to the dock. This one is difficult to do with a large population, as the ranches don't output large amounts of goods and most of the beef (smoked or not) ends up at the marketplace. Try building more food producers (corn farms, wharves) to stock up your marketplaces.

D) I think it's a year, but I've never timed it.
26-01-2012 08:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | kalypso media :: website | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication