To the developers: what are 4 workers needed for in the supermarket?
Teodosio Offline

To the developers: what are 4 workers needed for in the supermarket?
Hello all,
I have a question: why the supermarket needs 4 (four) workers? It doesn't seem to me that additional workers in the supermarket provide any benefit!
Is anyone able to calrify this?
Thanks and regards! Smile
25-04-2012 11:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Swixel Offline
Epic Member

RE: To the developers: what are 4 workers needed for in the supermarket?

1. Stacking shelves;
  2. Clean up in aisle 4;
  3. Manager;
  4. Putting the eggs at the bottom, under the watermelon.

edit: woo, forgot about lists

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know" ― Cicero.

"You had to hand it to the Patrician, he admitted grudgingly. If you didn't, he sent men to come and take it away." ― Terry Pratchett (Guards! Guards!)
(This post was last modified: 25-04-2012 12:39 PM by Swixel.)
25-04-2012 12:38 PM
astondb9 Offline

Aren't supermarkets one of the buildings that work just as well with 1 worker as it does with all 4?

If so just close off the work spaces. However I personally wouldn't want to run a supermarket by myself!
25-04-2012 01:44 PM
beancounter Offline
Geezer Gamer

Related Question:

It was a common strategy to put markets near population centers so people wouldn't have to walk all the way to the farms to get food. Do supermarkets eliminate that need?
25-04-2012 01:52 PM
FordGT90Concept Offline

Yeah, as does the marketplace. Supermarket is even better because it has a really high food quality rating even if there isn't a huge variety of foods on the island.

I think 4 makes sense. High school educated, not so much. Most people working in stores (except positions of management) usually are students. Don't need a diploma to stock shelves. XD
25-04-2012 02:40 PM
SapphireBullets Offline

(25-04-2012 02:40 PM)FordGT90Concept Wrote:  I think 4 makes sense. High school educated, not so much. Most people working in stores (except positions of management) usually are students. Don't need a diploma to stock shelves. XD
The original marketplace requires a high school educated worker, which kind of makes sense in that you need a head for figures to handle all those sales flying around.

For the supermarket, it probably represents management, refrigeration repairwomen and bookkeepers.
Presumably the shelf stackers are included in the 20-or-so people each Tropican citizen represents.

Tropico isn't really that consistent about education levels in work, considering Mortgage companies get by fine without high school educated managers and technicians.
25-04-2012 02:52 PM
FordGT90Concept Offline

True, the Business Center focuses on the worker drones as opposed to those in charge.
25-04-2012 04:03 PM
Teodosio Offline

(25-04-2012 01:44 PM)astondb9 Wrote:  Aren't supermarkets one of the buildings that work just as well with 1 worker as it does with all 4?

If so just close off the work spaces. However I personally wouldn't want to run a supermarket by myself!
Is it true then? We can just close the extra 3 spaces?
I really wonder why they inserted 4 workers spaces if they provide no in-gam effects!
25-04-2012 07:41 PM
Lyubo_Haemimont Offline
Actually a mail order bride

The number of workers does have a significance in the Supermarket. Mainly for the effects of its work modes.
26-04-2012 03:24 PM
Teodosio Offline

(26-04-2012 03:24 PM)Lyubo_Haemimont Wrote:  The number of workers does have a significance in the Supermarket. Mainly for the effects of its work modes.
The work modes change food quality and life expectancy of the citizens.
I have checked that firing workers doesn't affect food quality; i.e. food quality of the supermarket is the same either with one or with four workers. You can try it yourself.
Perhaps the number of workers affects life expectancy? This I could not say. It would be good to have an official comment on this...
27-04-2012 10:33 AM
BHunterSEAL Offline

I think a lot of the buildings in MT have more worker slots because unemployment becomes an issue late-ish in the game. On the other hand, I don't mind have 4 Supermarket workers, as that's more people to choose from for economic minister--that is, a higher chance of finding someone with great attributes. I think for that position its only shopkeepers and customs-workers that are allowed, too, and in terms of the random bonuses that occur due to having a good minister, the economic chief gives by far the best.
02-05-2012 09:03 PM
Swixel Offline
Epic Member

(27-04-2012 10:33 AM)Teodosio Wrote:  
(26-04-2012 03:24 PM)Lyubo_Haemimont Wrote:  The number of workers does have a significance in the Supermarket. Mainly for the effects of its work modes.
The work modes change food quality and life expectancy of the citizens.
I have checked that firing workers doesn't affect food quality; i.e. food quality of the supermarket is the same either with one or with four workers. You can try it yourself.
Perhaps the number of workers affects life expectancy? This I could not say. It would be good to have an official comment on this...

You might notice the second half of his name seems familiar. I think that was as official as you'll get ...

edit: removing ambiguity

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know" ― Cicero.

"You had to hand it to the Patrician, he admitted grudgingly. If you didn't, he sent men to come and take it away." ― Terry Pratchett (Guards! Guards!)
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2012 10:11 PM by Swixel.)
02-05-2012 10:10 PM