Port Royale 3 - crash reports and technical bugs thread
(05-05-2012, 12:51 PM)billyplod Wrote: The it updates the registry entry for PR3 to tell the game where all it's files are. Typically these Microsoft Tools are installed in a standard location. So Timo's two posts tell how to reinstall the Microsoft Tools (DirectX and .NETFrame work) to the standard locations but if (and I don't know) the game as some registry settings of it's own, that point to other locations then the only way to fix it is reinstall.

Nimaz is trying that so I suggest that if Timo's fixes don't work wait to see what Nimaz feeds back or try a reinstall yourself.
Well it seems I found my issue: Its the .Net installs causing problems.
For some reason PR3 wants to install .Net 3.0 that really wount install itself on Win7sp1 (as .Net3.5 is part of the system). Then the program tries to install .Net3.5sp1 again failing for some reason. Guess as most things use .Net4 now.
Its the 3rd party application script that is the real problem. As the script fails (cause are .Net:s)the install process comes to a halt and no Kalypso Launcher is installed.

No Launcher = no Game

Reason most of you don't get any kind of error message in Win7 is the way error reporting is configured on your system. I had to change my settings so that it would show the error.
turns off screen at start, black screen, however music continues playing in background., nothing on this thread helped so far..

Vista business x64

dual core 2.33
(05-05-2012, 12:44 PM)FGART Wrote:
(05-05-2012, 12:33 PM)Rai Wrote: I have steam release installed aswell.All the updates are done.Same issue.It doesnt start and gives no error,just nothing.
Welcome to the club Smile

(05-05-2012, 12:39 PM)O4epegb Wrote: Btw i fixed the problem..
Port Royale 3 from SKIDROW work good enough)
Just waiting for my money back from steam.
Warez is not an options. But yet again, legal users, who actually paid for software still suffer from DRM... ;(

DRM we meet again... Do you have any files in your Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Kalypso Media\Launcher folder now or any additional files in the game directory?
Does the game continue to load after applying the 1.1 patch from them also?

Edit: Reinstalling all the .net frameworks did squat *Frustrated*
Quote:The it updates the registry entry for PR3 to tell the game where all it's files are. Typically these Microsoft Tools are installed in a standard location. So Timo's two posts tell how to reinstall the Microsoft Tools (DirectX and .NETFrame work) to the standard locations but if (and I don't know) the game as some registry settings of it's own, that point to other locations then the only way to fix it is reinstall.
Steam just re-downloaded game files and the problem is staying the same.

In windows registry:
Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kalypso Media\Port Royale 3]
"Path"="f:\\steam\\steamapps\\common\\port royale 3"

Quote:DRM we meet again... Do you have any files in your Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Kalypso Media\Launcher folder
Does the game continue to load after applying the 1.1 patch from them also?
*Frustrated*
No, i don't have any files in the "\Kalypso Media\Launcher folder\" folder. Steam version already patched to 1.1.0.24502.
And crash after trying to start PortRoyale3.exe.
Well, that crash at start of the game is not about computer config or drivers. "Other" (not Steam) version perfectly run and accept CD key form Steam.
so how to get our money back?
(05-05-2012, 02:41 PM)Rai Wrote: so how to get our money back?

I can see two options without return Smile
1) Download from torrent and install it. Use Steam CD key. It will update to 1.1 and work ok and legally registered.
2) Wait till Steam version repaired.
Just to keep in mind people: Its not 'the steam version' that's the source issue, I have the steam version and its working relatively fine. No there's something about the Kalypso launcher DRM program that runs before the game I believe that's the culprit. Who's got Patrician 4 as well but has PR3 crashing for instance, anyone? That launcher already knew my account/password since I had used it with Patrician 4 so there has to be a sharing of info if not the same program involved for both games.
Quote:No there's something about the Kalypso launcher DRM program that runs before the game I believe that's the culprit.
Most like it is from the DRM.
(05-05-2012, 02:31 PM)Twil Wrote: Well, that crash at start of the game is not about computer config or drivers. "Other" (not Steam) version perfectly run and accept CD key form Steam.

Where did you get that "other" version? I tried Skidrow's one, and it keeps freezing everytime I enter or leave the city.

Someone above said that this is a dual-core-CPU problem... Well I tried and "told" my Windows to use only 1 core, but the problem still persist.

Another guy above said that warez is not an option. Wrong! Warez is ALWAYS an option when you don't want to spend money on a buggy or not-working piece of code... like PR3. So if they sell me a broken game (wich I'd say is stealing), I find other ways to get what I paid for, even if I have to steal it back by D/L warez.
I wont pay for kalypso games any more,there are "other" working ways to play.
is it likely for steam to patch it any time soon?
>Vasileff
Quote:So if they sell me a broken game (wich I'd say is stealing), I find other ways to get what I paid for, even if I have to steal it back by D/L warez.
Who knows how many errors you can catch from "others" version of this game, problems with patches, etc... Let's hope they fix it pretty fast.
(05-05-2012, 03:23 PM)Vasileff Wrote: and it keeps freezing everytime I enter or leave the city.

Someone above said that this is a dual-core-CPU problem...

It is other issue for you. There were number of people reporting crash immediate after you press play button. Someone got no error message at all, someone got instant crash window. That is before any launch game screen etc. Non steam version run perfectly in that situation. So that should mean it is not about config-drivers etc.

For you situation it seems is known dual-core bug.

(05-05-2012, 03:32 PM)FGART Wrote: Who knows how many errors you can catch from "others" version of this game, problems with patches, etc... Let's hope they fix it pretty fast.

That's true. But it is not really "other" it is the same one (no any substitution of files), but not steam, accept Steam CD key and run updates.

Anyway, it is just to tell, that it is something about Steam version, not about drivers.
nice work,still no fix...
Just wanted to confirm that right now I have updated all drivers and launching the game with a troubleshooting crash report:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: PortRoyale3.exe
Application Version: 1.1.0.24502
Application Timestamp: 4fa3b87b
Fault Module Name: PortRoyale3.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.1.0.24502
Fault Module Timestamp: 4fa3b87b
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 003a535c
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1030
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I have pre-ordered the game over steam weeks ago and expecting it to run now..
I did also try disabling soundcard and even ran the game with these launch options:
#Steam: -nosound -window -dxlevel 81 +mat_forcehardwaresync 0
The game is still crashing pretty commonly when I alt+tab away and come back. When I come back, the screen is totally black, and when I move the mouse around, it's sometimes the windows cursor and sometimes the game cursor.

Can provide specs if necessary.
I have the steam version problem, where the exe doesnt bring the launcher up. Except that I got it to work once just by clicking on play. Didn't happen before, didn't happen since. I should have just played it until a fix was made but I was scared to alt+tab to check because of the other ctd bug. /facepalm.
Hey Kalyso - - Still no fix? No statement, letting us know you're working on a patch? This is completely unacceptable. I will be sure to remember the name "Kalypso" so I NEVER buy a game they are associated with ever again. For any Kalypso employees out there, start looking for new employement now before the layoffs start ....
still not even a simple update from kalypso...thank you for nothing!
(05-05-2012, 08:42 PM)Stryker Wrote: Hey Kalyso - - Still no fix? No statement, letting us know you're working on a patch? This is completely unacceptable. I will be sure to remember the name "Kalypso" so I NEVER buy a game they are associated with ever again. For any Kalypso employees out there, start looking for new employement now before the layoffs start ....

@Stryker
Please, no need to become threatening.

@topic

I am also waiting as the game simply crashes.
Could the mods at least mprove the flow of information?
Like one of the developers or programmers giving us an update of their search efforts? Just something so we know they narrowed it down.
Apparently it affects a number of people and it seems to me an DRM issue. Probably Steam and Kalypso Launcher not liking each other, who would have guessed!?!
Sadly I doubt Kalypso sees this as a priority. There's what... 50 people here having problems? If that? I'll be very surprised if we see any kind of update or assistance from them this weekend. I've emailed the Kalypso technical support and filed a support ticket through Steam. Now I get to sit on my hands.

I do find it rather sad that people can get a hacked version of the game to work. Not to take anything away from the game (heaven knows I want to play it) but I also find it incredible that complex games like Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 work like a charm but we can't get a simple pirate resource management game to run.
For the record:

I've seen the last entry of a Gaming Minds Dev at the German part of this board around MIDNIGHT CET friday night. So he's either enjoying some rest or working at a patch.
Either way, I've got the feeling one of the biggest problems is an error between Kalypso and Steam, causing the problems posted here.

I'm also wondering if those demanding a patch and complaining if their problem isn't solved within a few hours act in a similar matter if it's about their car?

Thorin Smile
Hack seinen Kopf ab. Ich brauche einen Aschenbecher!
To those affected by the Steam startup issue: Please try starting Steam with the "-console" parameter (check your Steam shortcut and add this to the target so it should say something like 'C:\Steam\Steam.exe -console'). Also, which country are you all located in?

Then report back with any messages that appear in the "console" tab in the Steam client.

We have tried everything possible and imaginable to remedy this on our end but it appears like it's not due to an issue with the game itself but with the Steam software. We're in touch with them and working on a solution.
(05-05-2012, 09:24 PM)Thorin Oakshield Wrote: I'm also wondering if those demanding a patch and complaining if their problem isn't solved within a few hours act in a similar matter if it's about their car?

This isn't the appropriate place to get into arguments like this, but I feel I had to respond to your last statement.

If I had a car that broke down and needed repairs after driving it just fine? No, I wouldn't act this way.

If I just paid for the car at the dealership and couldn't even drive it off the lot? Absolutely I'd expect them to either fix it immediately or give me a full refund.
Dear Timo, thank you for your post.

I agree with your view, it can't be the game itself, it's some Steam-related issue (surprise, surprise).

I'm in the United Kingdom and had no issues with buying and downloading, just with starting.

I did run Steam with -console and got the following report:

Errors in resource\layout\uinavigatorpanel.layout:
Unknown key 'scaling' set in style 'URLStatusImage' in file 'resource\layout\uinavigatorpanel.layout'
requesting notifications...
ExecCommandLine: ""D:\Steam\steam.exe" -console"
System startup time: 47.79 seconds
ExecSteamURL: "steam://nav/games"
Game update: AppID 205610 "Port Royale 3", ProcID 3364, IP 0.0.0.0:0
saving roaming config store to 'sharedconfig.vdf'
roaming config store 2 saved successfully
Game removed: AppID 205610 "Port Royale 3", ProcID 3364
saving roaming config store to 'sharedconfig.vdf'
roaming config store 2 saved successfully

Best

Athrun
(05-05-2012, 09:26 PM)Timo Wrote: To those affected by the Steam startup issue: Please try starting Steam with the "-console" parameter (check your Steam shortcut and add this to the target so it should say something like 'C:\Steam\Steam.exe -console'). Also, which country are you all located in?

Then report back with any messages that appear in the "console" tab in the Steam client.

We have tried everything possible and imaginable to remedy this on our end but it appears like it's not due to an issue with the game itself but with the Steam software. We're in touch with them and working on a solution.

You can't modify the shortcut but it does work from Command Line
START -> RUN - > C:\Steam\Steam.exe -console
UK
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Console view gives

Unknown key 'scaling' set in style 'URLStatusImage' in file 'resource\layout\uinavigatorpanel.layout'
ExecCommandLine: ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -console"
System startup time: 21.76 seconds
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Does anybody know what that means:

Errors in resource\layout\uinavigatorpanel.layout?

Is the Steam version buggy?
(05-05-2012, 09:26 PM)Timo Wrote: To those affected by the Steam startup issue: Please try starting Steam with the "-console" parameter (check your Steam shortcut and add this to the target so it should say something like 'C:\Steam\Steam.exe -console'). Also, which country are you all located in?

Thank you for trying to work on this issue! Here is what I got from the console tab:

ExecCommandLine: ""C:\program files\steam\steam.exe" -console"
System startup time: 8.96 seconds

Also, I'm in the United States.
Anything else in the console log when you try to launch the game?