Port Royale 3 - crash reports and technical bugs thread
(05-05-2012, 09:26 PM)Timo Wrote: To those affected by the Steam startup issue: Please try starting Steam with the "-console" parameter (check your Steam shortcut and add this to the target so it should say something like 'C:\Steam\Steam.exe -console'). Also, which country are you all located in?

Errors in resource\layout\uinavigatorpanel.layout:
Unknown key 'scaling' set in style 'URLStatusImage' in file 'resource\layout\uinavigatorpanel.layout'
requesting notifications...
ExecCommandLine: ""C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -console"
System startup time: 10.55 seconds
Game update: AppID 205610 "Port Royale 3", ProcID 5620, IP 0.0.0.0:0
saving roaming config store to 'sharedconfig.vdf'
roaming config store 2 saved successfully
Game removed: AppID 205610 "Port Royale 3", ProcID 5620

From Russia with love...
System startup time: 17.58 seconds
We have graphics vendor 0x1002, device 0x68d8, version 0x00080011000a0464
We have graphics vendor 0x1002, device 0x68d8, version 0x00080011000a0464
Game update: AppID 205610 "Port Royale 3", ProcID 4644, IP 0.0.0.0:0
Game removed: AppID 205610 "Port Royale 3", ProcID 4644
---Edited---
(05-05-2012, 09:45 PM)Timo Wrote: Anything else in the console log when you try to launch the game?

Nope, tried it 3 times and got the following from the console tab:

Unknown key 'scaling' set in style 'URLStatusImage' in file 'resource\layout\uinavigatorpanel.layout'
ExecCommandLine: ""D:\Steam\steam.exe" -console"
System startup time: 47.79 seconds
ExecSteamURL: "steam://nav/games"
Game update: AppID 205610 "Port Royale 3", ProcID 3364, IP 0.0.0.0:0
Game removed: AppID 205610 "Port Royale 3", ProcID 3364
ExecSteamURL: "steam://open/games"
Game update: AppID 205610 "Port Royale 3", ProcID 2496, IP 0.0.0.0:0

Nothing else, just the ordinary message that it had to shut down PR3.

Best
Athrun
ExecCommandLine: ""C:\program files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 205610 "
Game update: AppID 205610 "Port Royale 3", ProcID 5840, IP 0.0.0.0:0
Game removed: AppID 205610 "Port Royale 3", ProcID 5840
Thanks everyone, it appears that the console log isn't helpful either. Anyways, we're eagerly awaiting feedback from Steam now. We've pretty much tried everything we could think of to no avail and the Steam launch error is still unreproducible for us.
ExecCommandLine: ""E:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -console"
We have graphics vendor 0x1002, device 0x9442, version 0x0006000e000a1c5d
System startup time: 7.19 seconds
Game update: AppID 205610 "Port Royale 3", ProcID 4136, IP 0.0.0.0:0

thankyou Timo for giving some feedback on the problem
(05-05-2012, 10:01 PM)Timo Wrote: Thanks everyone, it appears that the console log isn't helpful either. Anyways, we're eagerly awaiting feedback from Steam now. We've pretty much tried everything we could think of to no avail and the Steam launch error is still unreproducible for us.

Shame, I thought it will end like this - being reliable on Steam to solve it. Well, perhaps it's fair, they caused this mess after all. I think I'll grab a pint and a DVD and call it a day.
And hope, while I sleep, the Americans manage to sort this mess.

Athrun
My Problem is that "port royale 3"has stopped working".

Ok, so I have done everything that has been suggested to try and fix my problem, but still to no avail.
I have seen that there is a patch but steam hasnt updated yet,

Does anybody have any other suggestions???????
hmmmmm if I allow Kalypso Developers to remotely access my computer? would that help?
(05-05-2012, 10:01 PM)Timo Wrote: Thanks everyone, it appears that the console log isn't helpful either. Anyways, we're eagerly awaiting feedback from Steam now. We've pretty much tried everything we could think of to no avail and the Steam launch error is still unreproducible for us.
How does the 3rd party installer script work? What happens when it encounters an error?
As I said earlier my guess is that when the .Net install fails either 3.0 or 3.5 the script exits and dosen't install the Kalypso Launcher.

Without the launcher the game simply crashes directly as it does for us with problems.

Edit: Took a closer look at the files and it seems the installer is there, it just wount start as it should. KalypsoLauncher.dll is present in the install directory, but when you take a look under your userprofile the launcher folder is empty so no configuration has happened.
(05-05-2012, 10:28 PM)nimaz Wrote: As I said earlier my guess is that when the .Net install fails either 3.0 or 3.5 the script exits and dosen't install the Kalypso Launcher.
Without the launcher the game simply crashes directly as it does for us with problems.

Even if you manually install all these components successfully (and users have confirmed they have all required components installed), the error reportedly still persists. The Launcher has an integrated failsafe that will always load up the game when the authentication server is offline or there is an issue with the .net installation, so I'm ruling that out at the moment.
Well, I bought the game on steam and downloaded the torrent of the game. Instead of hurting the company by pirating the software via crack and requesting a refund through steam, I just simply used the product code I purchased and am now able to play the game without the install issue with Steam. The issue is clearly not on Kalypso's end, so why hurt the company? I would recommend doing this to all those people who really want to play the game and support the developers (but have already bought the game on Steam), but don't want to wait for Steam to get around to fixing it.
Okay, just to quench my curiosity:

How does Steam start the game for people without this issue?

You click on "Play", Steam will do something and what's next? Will the Kalypso launcher pop up or will the game start?

Could somebody with a working version give us a brief report?
To me it seems like Steam is failing to initialise the Kalypso launcher thingy.

Athrun
(05-05-2012, 10:36 PM)athrun Wrote: Okay, just to quench my curiosity:

How does Steam start the game for people without this issue?

You click on "Play", Steam will do something and what's next? Will the Kalypso launcher pop up or will the game start?

Could somebody with a working version give us a brief report?
To me it seems like Steam is failing to initialise the Kalypso launcher thingy.

Athrun

When I start the game I have the task manager open, and the PortRoyale3.exe appears in the list of Processes at ~15,000 kbs of resources. It then quickly disappears. I would say it's launching, but crashing.

Windows Error Reporting also fires up WERfault.exe and quickly disappears.
(05-05-2012, 10:35 PM)ragebane Wrote: Well, I bought the game on steam and downloaded the torrent of the game. Instead of hurting the company by pirating the software via crack and requesting a refund through steam, I just simply used the product code I purchased and am now able to play the game without the install issue with Steam. The issue is clearly not on Kalypso's end, so why hurt the company? I would recommend doing this to all those people who really want to play the game and support the developers (but have already bought the game on Steam), but don't want to wait for Steam to get around to fixing it.

And you haven't got freezes when you go into and from town?
(05-05-2012, 10:36 PM)athrun Wrote: How does Steam start the game for people without this issue?

That's exactly what happens. You click "Play" in Steam, the Kalypso Launcher window pops up, you enter your CD key and log in to your Kalypso account or register a new one (required for multiplayer) and then click "Play Port Royale 3". Oh and before anyone asks: Yes, the game was also tested by Steam before the game released and there were no issues.
(05-05-2012, 10:44 PM)Timo Wrote:
(05-05-2012, 10:36 PM)athrun Wrote: How does Steam start the game for people without this issue?

That's exactly what happens. You click "Play" in Steam, the Kalypso Launcher window pops up, you enter your CD key and log in to your Kalypso account or register a new one (required for multiplayer) and then click "Play Port Royale 3". Oh and before anyone asks: Yes, the game was also tested by Steam before the game released and there were no issues.

Silly question perhaps, but those who tested the game by Steam, were they having Patrician 4 with or without RoaD installed?

I got the impression that those who have P4/RoaD aren't having (many) problems, but those who haven't are.

So if the Steam testers were having RoaD, they might have gotten a wrong impression, resulting in the problems this thread is showing.

Thorin Smile
Hack seinen Kopf ab. Ich brauche einen Aschenbecher!
Timo, what can you tell us about the in-game freezes when you enter or leave a town? On the first page you said it's a problem with some dual core CPUs and then you said it's fixed with the patch. Well I applied the patch and the game became even worse. Before the patch it was freezing only when trying to establish a trade route.. After applying the patch it feezes every time I enter/leave a town...
(05-05-2012, 10:57 PM)Vasileff Wrote: Timo, what can you tell us about the in-game freezes when you enter or leave a town? On the first page you said it's a problem with some dual core CPUs and then you said it's fixed with the patch. Well I applied the patch and the game became even worse. Before the patch it was freezing only when trying to establish a trade route.. After applying the patch it feezes every time I enter/leave a town...

The issue is fixed for German retail/download versions (via Kalypso Launcher) and Steam, English retail/download version will be updated shortly via Kalypso Launcher. The fixed version number is 1.1.0-24502 - if you're below that, you may be affected by the enter/leave town freeze issue.
(05-05-2012, 11:04 PM)Timo Wrote: The issue is fixed for German retail/download versions (via Kalypso Launcher) and Steam, English retail/download version will be updated shortly via Kalypso Launcher. The fixed version number is 1.1.0-24502 - if you're below that, you may be affected by the enter/leave town freeze issue.

Thanks!
(05-05-2012, 10:57 PM)Vasileff Wrote: Timo, what can you tell us about the in-game freezes when you enter or leave a town? On the first page you said it's a problem with some dual core CPUs and then you said it's fixed with the patch. Well I applied the patch and the game became even worse. Before the patch it was freezing only when trying to establish a trade route.. After applying the patch it feezes every time I enter/leave a town...

Exactly the same problem here, it's bloody annoying.Sad
(05-05-2012, 10:54 PM)Thorin Oakshield Wrote:
(05-05-2012, 10:44 PM)Timo Wrote:

Silly question perhaps, but those who tested the game by Steam, were they having Patrician 4 with or without RoaD installed?

I got the impression that those who have P4/RoaD aren't having (many) problems, but those who haven't are.

So if the Steam testers were having RoaD, they might have gotten a wrong impression, resulting in the problems this thread is showing.

Thorin Smile

Well, I have P4 with RoaD, but the retail version, so I have learned my lesson. *rant on* Steam is a pest and I should never ever entered this spider's lair. *rant off*

It surely is some pesky little line of code which prevents the start of the Kalypso launcher. Steam hopefully gets this sorted soon, the weekend is nearly over!
Well, at least we might see some progress/additional information soon as the Americans are up and (hopefully) working to solve our minor inconvenience.

God save the Queen
ExecCommandLine: ""C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -console"
We have graphics vendor 0x1002, device 0x68b8, version 0x00080011000a0464
System startup time: 14.74 seconds

Playing from east coast U.S.

Doing some free thinking here, but you know how when you buy an actual game cd, you put it in the drive, and the autorun brings the launcher up, and you'd play or install from there? I did manage once to get the launcher, by some fluke, and game progressed as normal from there. Never happened again. Is there any way to skip straight to the launcher opening as if there was an autorun? Or am i off for thinking that thats a thing that can happen?
(05-05-2012, 11:04 PM)Timo Wrote: The issue is fixed for German retail/download versions (via Kalypso Launcher) and Steam, English retail/download version will be updated shortly via Kalypso Launcher. fixed version number is 1.1.0-24502 - if you're below that, you may be affected by the enter/leave town freeze issue.

Why are the English versions still waiting then?
To the Steam users affected by the launch issues, can you give me your Steam user account/nickname please to forward them for investigation? You can also PM me your Steam name.

This is only for the issue with the game not launching at all with no error message in Steam!

UPDATE: No need for more Steam usernames, thanks everyone!

Thanks in advance!
(05-05-2012, 11:10 PM)Defiant Wrote:
(05-05-2012, 11:04 PM)Timo Wrote: The issue is fixed for German retail/download versions (via Kalypso Launcher) and Steam, English retail/download version will be updated shortly via Kalypso Launcher. fixed version number is 1.1.0-24502 - if you're below that, you may be affected by the enter/leave town freeze issue.

Why are the English versions still waiting then?

Translation time one would think. Kalypso is a Germany-based company.
(05-05-2012, 11:10 PM)Defiant Wrote: Why are the English versions still waiting then?

Because the Launcher update for the English version has not fully passed QA before the weekend. Sorry for the inconvenience.
(05-05-2012, 11:15 PM)Timo Wrote: To the Steam users affected by the launch issues, can you give me your Steam user account/nickname please to forward them for investigation? You can also PM me your Steam name.

This is only for the issue with the game not launching at all with no error message in Steam!

Thanks in advance!
Timo, thanks for your messages, but what with this error:
Internal Error
App.cpp(1175): Error in 'App::Initialize':
Launcher failed return code: -532459699:0xe0434f4d

I have same problem. It error happens on the start of the game.