Gamebreaking lack of options to Defend Towns.
Its so broken that its not even funny...Did anyone tested it before releasing game??

I mean as a Spain privateer and being in war with France and having rightfully letter of marque to fight them i conquered couple towns...war ended with peace ...but it began ... France raids to conquer my Towns even war ended... and i cant defend them in any way ... my fleet is in town but cant do shit...it isnt just bug but gamebreaking mechanics ... French small fleet enter town WHERE IS MY HUGE fleet and just take it... and when i try take them on sea ...all other nations declare me as a Pirate ... i mean WTF?? Did just combat mechanics developing stoped in mid and town defense got forgoten???

All that was in adventures campaign...

EDIT : And what with politics?Peace treaty or something?How to reedem my self with nation after becoming pirate becouse defending OWN city...

Edit 2: Changed name of topic to better describe problem.
GG
i have that problem too LOL
its dumb how u attack one country then everyone goes world war on your ass
and theres no way i can fix reputation after a war cos u cant go into their countries
But i had letter of marque!!And after war french still are on my ass...but thats small problem ...

Biggest is that You litteraly dont have options to defend your town even you have fleet inside...They forgot to add it to game...
the letter only makes it so that WHEN the country of the letter u own is at war with another, you only piss off 1 person and not the entire world
if nobody is at war and you attack even with the letter, you'll still start world war reod

similar the pirates! except in pirates you dont own the port so you dont get attacked
and IIRC the ai dont really attack ports in pirates!
Tides is correct the Letter of Marque is only valid if the countries are at war, and only for the country that attacking yours.
Holland is at war with England - Buy a Letter of Marque from England - it is only valid for attacks on Holland or Dutch Merchants

If you attack a country that is Allied with another country then you annoy them both. If you attack a trader of one country without a valid letter of Marque you annoy it.
I know he is correct.But read what i wrote or i wrote it again.

1.When Spain was in war with France - i had Letter of Marque from spain.
2.And i conquered towns when war was still valid.
3.War ends - Frence still is atacking me.
AND here i spot gamebreaking lack of game mechanics.

You cant defend your own town becouse ... just becouse... even you have own HUGE fleet in town that is under atack...

Bah there not even notice that your town is under atack... imagine that... you went to traver all over on other side of map with one fleet and leaving in town large second fleet happy that it will defend it...Not a chance cos tiny small hostile fleet will atack town and take it like your fleet isnt there and you will get notice after town is taken...WTF?

Edit : Again to describe it better:
I have in town 6 wargalleons full health , max crew, max ammo ,and max small arms and such... still incoming French fleet that have galleon and 2 frigates takes it and i cant do shit...just becouse they forgot to add options to defend your OWN town... this is the point that breaks game for me.
(06-05-2012, 04:29 PM)Reod Wrote: I know he is correct.But read what i wrote or i wrote it again.

You cant defend your own town becouse ... just becouse... even you have own HUGE fleet in town that is under atack...

Bah there not even notice that your town is under atack... imagine that... you went to traver all over on other side of map with one fleet and leaving in town large second fleet happy that it will defend it...Not a chance cos tiny small hostile fleet will atack town and take it like your fleet isnt there and you will get notice after town is taken...WTF?

I have in town 6 wargalleons full health , max crew, max ammo ,and max small arms and such... still incoming French fleet that have galleon and 2 frigates takes it and i cant do shit...just becouse they forgot to add options to defend your OWN town... this is the point that breaks game for me.

Wow, that's a really bad oversight. MUST be fixed.
Add to this that when you want to stop them on sea you become pirate for all nations and its game over after 1 day of playing.Cant force myself to start again ...
(06-05-2012, 06:09 PM)TheDudeAbides Wrote:
(06-05-2012, 04:29 PM)Reod Wrote: I know he is correct.But read what i wrote or i wrote it again.

Wow, that's a really bad oversight. MUST be fixed.
can you upload your savegame here?
Here , atacks are going for Port St.Joe
reputation 99 Spain , 25% England and Holland , 1% for France after war in i had letter of marque, i never was pirate.
Code:
http://speedy.sh/T2rvS/pceg06620n16f34ub0.pr3

Try to defend town , without becoming number one enemy of all nations (on sea) .
Port itself you cant defend even you have fleet inside and i have inside 2 fleets that both consist 6 wargalleons so that mean 12 wargalleons.
yea, game's really broken
dont know what happened
tropico 4 was fun

but this game has so many bad design choices and gamebreaking bugs not fixed...
(06-05-2012, 08:33 PM)Reod Wrote: Here , atacks are going for Port St.Joe
reputation 99 Spain , 25% England and Holland , 1% for France after war in i had letter of marque, i never was pirate.
Code:
http://speedy.sh/T2rvS/pceg06620n16f34ub0.pr3

Try to defend town , without becoming number one enemy of all nations (on sea) .
Port itself you cant defend even you have fleet inside and i have inside 2 fleets that both consist 6 wargalleons so that mean 12 wargalleons.

The convoys in anchored in the harbour can't defend the town you need to build up land based defenses, and in this instance you don't have time. I have split your 2 convoys into 4 equal convoys and put them to sea - each one wins the first auto battle but France sends 7 attacking convoys - so the town gets attacked anyway.

I think the problem is that France has made peace with Holland and attacking French Military convoys when you country is not at war with them gets you a bad reputation all round, and you don't have much with Holland and England to start with.

Certainly you lose more when I attacked 4 Military convoys at once. Possible balance problem?

Though I did win it back straight away - but there is a bug in that because the French destroyed the Fortress towers - but when I attacked using "Enterprise" with 1 day - they were both fully rebuilt.
If you stop first french convoys and let other attack you will see that even you will have ready defense it wont do anything.

I conquered towns when war was valid short while after Spain and France sign peace.Short while after sometimes you can get notice to watch your port St.Joe

At this point - Im defending side and i have 2 options.

Let them conquer my towns (they dont stop after first ) or

Try to defend them by intercepting on sea and while doing that become enemy number one for all nations since each battle is like -10% rep and i cant see my self having 70% rep for all nations to avoid that.

SO : IF we players atack TOWNS fleet inside will come out and fight us but we dont have options to fight back if our town is under atack and our fleet is inside.

That mean 3 game mechanics are at this point broken :

1. Letter of marque - after war finishes nation that we fighted against in name of our nation will be still atacking us and when we will defend ourself we loss reputation even in our home nation so this mean that :

2.Reputaton gain and loss is broken

3.Town Defense options...we cant defend our town.
Wow really? This must be adressed... good thing i havent gone that far or i would be pissed off... Way to go, work your ass off to get something good, and then game prevent you to keep it by not allowing defense of any sort without throwing you at war with all nation...
Thanks for the heads up, but this is Terrible news. It ruined the game for me, and I haven't even completed the tutorial yet.

I was so excited about this release, too. Was hoping PR3 would hold me over until X-Rebirth releases....
Yeah i noticed this also ... i was pondering why my amount of soldiers stays at 30 when my defense is at 10+ (3 huge fortress) with 11600 town inhabitants ... this could be bug cos in port royal with defence 7 AI got like 1500 soldiers with 6400 town inhabitants...
(07-05-2012, 06:14 PM)Reod Wrote: Yeah i noticed this also ... i was pondering why my amount of soldiers stays at 30 when my defense is at 10+ (3 huge fortress) with 11600 town inhabitants ... this could be bug cos in port royal with defence 7 AI got like 1500 soldiers with 6400 town inhabitants...

I wonder if the makers ever tested a war game before releasing. Only way that seems to work OK is to stick with trading.

I found in the adventure campain that after I got at war with the French (Spannish letter of Marque) and they signed peace again, I could no longer just attack them (would cost reputation) but all the time they would keep attacking my trade fleets and did'nt end up enemy of all other nations as I would.

That was anoying, but reading on how the town defense works (or lack of) I doubt its worth playing anymore till a major patch is released

Edit: Hmm, I just read this in the "suggestion topic" on this forum:

Quote:10) One of the major flaws of PR2 (imho) was the fact that after a war a hostile nation was allowed to attack and loot my convoys, but that defending them was considered piracy.
Can't this be changed into no access to towns of hostile nations for the player and an immediate declaration of war by the other nations if any convoy attacks the player; while the only way for a player to gain access to a nation's towns is by paying a large fund to the vice-roy (as was already happening in PR2).

It seems that this flaw was already in PR2 and just got put back in PR3??
Not only that the game is buggy, but strategically to start with it's wrong.
#1 REPUTATION should increase with all nations as long as you do not attack any of them = PEACE = TRADING, if they have this option enabled for themselves, why should it be disabled for us???
#2 DEFENSE should be automatic, because theirs is automatic, therefore ours should be EXACTLY like theirs. If town get attacked, the only thing we should be able to do is to bring it more ships and supplies for rebuilding and only MAYBE. Otherwise if Town was defenseless when attacked, then it isn't anyone fault but YOUR OWN. Thats fair isn't it???
#3 ANNEXING a town with our own flag should eventually lower our reputation which means place it into a halt. Because if you do not attack anyoen your reputation goes +1, if you gained something from attacking then reputation goes +1-1=0. But still you should be able to enter a town to do MISSIONS for Viceroy to improve your relations with anyone you wish to at any point, And if you don't constantly improve it, your relations will eventually sink to EXACTLY the same amount which it was once you gained your first TOWN. Sounds fair???

Now something like this would match the real world events on a certain level. PHILOSOPHY behind it:
If no one loses by having you around, then why should relations be lowered? If no one gains from having you around, why should they be friends with you? And if you gain something just to lose it the next day, then what's the point of gaining? Now that's logic.. Who agrees?
(13-05-2012, 08:56 PM)Vadim Wrote: Not only that the game is buggy, but strategically to start with it's wrong.
#1 REPUTATION should increase with all nations as long as you do not attack any of them = PEACE = TRADING, if they have this option enabled for themselves, why should it be disabled for us???
#2 DEFENSE should be automatic, because theirs is automatic, therefore ours should be EXACTLY like theirs. If town get attacked, the only thing we should be able to do is to bring it more ships and supplies for rebuilding and only MAYBE. Otherwise if Town was defenseless when attacked, then it isn't anyone fault but YOUR OWN. Thats fair isn't it???
#3 ANNEXING a town with our own flag should eventually lower our reputation which means place it into a halt. Because if you do not attack anyoen your reputation goes +1, if you gained something from attacking then reputation goes +1-1=0. But still you should be able to enter a town to do MISSIONS for Viceroy to improve your relations with anyone you wish to at any point, And if you don't constantly improve it, your relations will eventually sink to EXACTLY the same amount which it was once you gained your first TOWN. Sounds fair???

Now something like this would match the real world events on a certain level. PHILOSOPHY behind it:
If no one loses by having you around, then why should relations be lowered? If no one gains from having you around, why should they be friends with you? And if you gain something just to lose it the next day, then what's the point of gaining? Now that's logic.. Who agrees?

The sad thing is it has been said in port royale 2 if i remember right, yet its not in 3, see how they dont really care? Devs wants im pretty sure, but say that to the black suit managing money.
i cant stress enough have i enjoyed the port royale 2 combat system, i wish they would of made pr3 combat system like the pr2, everything went smoothly in pr2, coming back to pr after such a long break and playing pr3 reminds me how much fun i had on pr2, i may just play pr2 again
Someting is wrong when you want to play a predecessor game because its better than sequel.... ( Ok tot play predecessor game for story but when you do for gameplay reason.... )
I actually already went back to playing port royale 2 gamebreaking things like this plus the enormous amount of bugs and errors are litterary destroying the experience of this game. I just cant keep playing the game knowing that it might suddenly crash or stop, and that if I continue playing I cant even defend my towns. So I bought port royale 2 on steam for 4 euros and Im immensely enjoying it.

The only thing I do not like more in port royale 2 than in port royale 3 so far is that a war in port royale 2 doesn't do anything. At least in port royale 3 the nations actively attack each other and take over towns. For the rest port royale 2 is better. Better trading system, nicer looking icons, less glitchy and broken, better combat system, more ship types, etc etc.

Its a shame that so far I just cant really enjoy port royale 3. It has tremendously high potential, but they really need go make some changes, with defending towns being the top priority. As lesser priorities I would suggest changing the ship icons we have now in ship icons which display the types of ships (actually go back to the icons of port royale 1 and 2, those were much better), and the name of the convoy, and in the overviee I eould also like to see a flag hovering above the ship to show the nation the ship is part of and better ship 3d models so uou can better see which ship the best ship of the convoy is (lets face it, the ship models are awfull in the world map)

Alas, it is back to port royale 2 for me, for now. Lets hope they listen to us and improve the game and Im sure that this game can become a suces on the worldwide release.

EDIT: sorry for the bad grammar, Im on my Iphone
Can someone tell me how do I increase defenses in my own annaxed town? Is it by expanding businesses or building residences or???
vadim u want to play mp with me? it's a lot more fun than normal free play
I don't understand that no matter what size town I annex, it's defense level at Manor seems to be at "0"??? Is it suppose to be like that?
do you know if this is being addressed? this is a big let down for me. i want to play "free play" coz i enjoy playing both adventurer/trader. but if this bug will not be fixed, i cant even return this game for Stream doesnt have return policy or u cant even trade it for another game.
Have a look here -> http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=14757

Looks like this will be addressed in a patch
(15-05-2012, 05:10 PM)billyplod Wrote: Have a look here -> http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=14757

Well it doesn't tell me much. Do they really expect that everyone in here have played Patrician 4 for so long that we know what "in town patrol mode is"?? Besides, my question is about outside town Fortress defenses and not inside town defenses. So what is it like? And are they addressing all defenses problem?
(15-05-2012, 08:49 PM)Vadim Wrote:
(15-05-2012, 05:10 PM)billyplod Wrote: Have a look here -> http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=14757

Well it doesn't tell me much. Do they really expect that everyone in here have played Patrician 4 for so long that we know what "in town patrol mode is"?? Besides, my question is about outside town Fortress defenses and not inside town defenses. So what is it like? And are they addressing all defenses problem?

well from the words i would guess it means you can patrol inside the cities(just like ai can) so when they attack the city they first have to deal with your ships just like you do when attacking a city...
"Outrigger" is a designated defender - in PAT 4 the town council pay you a small sum to provide a fighting convoy to defend the town. Just one convoy allowed. That convoy could not be used for anything else, though you could fight manually if the town was attacked.

From what Daan posted it looks like you would be allowed up to three defending convoys - now if these are designated or not isn't clear, I would prefer another check box on the convoy screen "Defend Town" so any convoy at anchor in the town harbour could be used to defend it (possibly in view of Multiplayer, limited it to three defending convoys in the harbour at any one time).