Gamebreaking lack of options to Defend Towns.
still see a potential problem with this tho... usually when one of your towns get attacked its by 5-10 convoys stacked in the 130+ range.... so unless you have a convoy of 10+ liners at EVERY city ready to defend it your gonna lose the city anyways... in the early stages this will not be possible to do... later on maybe... but very messy to keep track of IMHO.
(16-05-2012, 12:32 AM)jaddynnstarr Wrote: still see a potential problem with this tho... usually when one of your towns get attacked its by 5-10 convoys stacked in the 130+ range.... so unless you have a convoy of 10+ liners at EVERY city ready to defend it your gonna lose the city anyways... in the early stages this will not be possible to do... later on maybe... but very messy to keep track of IMHO.

No kidding, you think this time they will spend more than 5min on testing it before releasing it? Smile Pathetic...
If you plan on taking over a town you have to recon with a reaction.
I dont know about what period in the game you are talking.
But if you attack a whole nation they will react accordingly.
This patch just brings the solution for beeing considered a pirate while just trying to defend your towns.
I know this is a bump but at the same time, this problem has really started to grind on me. They're talking about adding patrols but that won't be enough. I've got France down to all of 5 fleets/ships and they send ALL of them at the town. And since the game doesn't auto-max the fleet you put into combat, it'll wipe out my fleet despite the fact that it has 10 ships that could be used in the battle. I'd rather they just offered a way to hire more guards, whether that's a one time expense or a continuing expense that you have to shoulder for owning the town. Just give me something.

That whole cycle:

1) War is declared
2) Get letter of marque
3) Lower your rep with Nation X as you use that letter of marque
4) War is over - yet you still have 0% rep with that nation
5) That nation proceeds to hunt you down and attack your towns
6) They send 5-7 fleets at 100-140 power at your town that your two fleets that are costing you millions of gold to staff can only partially intercept
7) Town is inevitably taken over because you can't stop the fleets, can't send your fleets into town to engage them, can't explicitly upgrade the defenses, etc.
8) Your newly acquired (or NOT!) town is taken by that nation.
9) Go to step 5 and repeat

It seems like everything is about creating a challenge by cheating (the AI, not the player). Our nation just got kicked around and we lost a ton of ships but it's okay, we can manufacture 5 in about 2-3 real time minutes and invade your town. Want your town back? -5 rep across the board.

How about this? How about you just treat each nation's rep as an isolated relationship. If I'm at war with France, so be it. But stop penalizing me because any action against a nation without a letter of marque MUST be piracy.

So frustrating. Here's a game ABOUT economics and sailing around in the age of piracy where you can't manage your businesses (can't use the steward to buy), can't manage your towns (no tax rate setting, no defense management), can't manage your trade routes (18 city limit when the main trade route dialog clearly supports more towns??), and can't defend your interests without it pitting every nation against you. That and your rep bleeds out faster than a hemophiliac despite you clearing the seas of pirates, handing over towns to your nation, and you benefiting their towns with all the goods you're delivering to them.

I just wish that Patrician 4 had Port Royale's ship combat (specifically the ability to capture a ship without having to kill off every other ship in a fleet and kill ever man on board the last ship and get that ship down to 25%--like some sort of generic formula for "success"). Then I'd have at least ONE game I could enjoy without running into something someone should've seen before either game went gold. Maybe it's time to go back to Patrician 3...

::off my soapbox::
(05-07-2012, 09:12 AM)LoneGunman Wrote: That whole cycle:

3) Lower your rep with Nation X as you use that letter of marque
4) War is over - yet you still have 0% rep with that nation
5) That nation proceeds to hunt you down and attack your towns
9) Go to step 5 and repeat

dont get under 25% rep und you will not get hunted. so if you start war at 100% rep you can attack two towns with no defense or up to one convoi in it, without getting in trouble...
Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
[Image: http://imghost4you.com/images/46.png]
(05-07-2012, 09:22 AM)Dorimil Wrote: dont get under 25% rep und you will not get hunted. so if you start war at 100% rep you can attack two towns with no defense or up to one convoi in it, without getting in trouble...

You're absolutely right, that's the best you can do to avoid being hunted after war BUT you've got to ask why it's not possible anymore to "buy" back 25% reputation. I mean in PR2 the viceroy (or was it the gouverneur?) offered you a pardon for a certain amount of money.
I mean, i dont have a problem doing what you proposed to do but i like the pardon thing better.

LoneGunman said it:
Quote:So frustrating. Here's a game ABOUT economics and sailing around in the age of piracy where you can't manage your businesses (can't use the steward to buy), can't manage your towns (no tax rate setting, no defense management), can't manage your trade routes (18 city limit when the main trade route dialog clearly supports more towns??), and can't defend your interests without it pitting every nation against you.

There's just too much that you can't do in this game to be okay with the game. There're things missing from it's predecessor and general things you supposed to do solely based on common sense.

At least that's my opinion.

Ahoy.
"Merchant and pirate were for a long period one and the same person. Even today mercantile morality is really nothing but a refinement of piratical morality."
(05-07-2012, 10:16 AM)legein Wrote: You're absolutely right, that's the best you can do to avoid being hunted after war BUT you've got to ask why it's not possible anymore to "buy" back 25% reputation. I mean in PR2 the viceroy (or was it the gouverneur?) offered you a pardon for a certain amount of money.
I mean, i dont have a problem doing what you proposed to do but i like the pardon thing better.

i just want to show, how it is possible.
i would like the option to sell for freedom also (never used it in PR2 Cool ).

to all:
a lot of people said, what you cannot do in this game, but there are a lot of posibilities. Probably uncomfortable, or not the best solution for the specific problem, but they exists!

So imho you can defend your towns:
- a convoy with 3 active warships (liner, war galleon) can fight up to 5 seafights against enemies without being sunked. depends on the ships in the enemy convois, but i would say, in average it is enough for 3 fights. so with 3 own convoys you are able to beat 9 convoys of the attacking nation. thats my experience.
and as long your convoys are on patrol mode, there is no problem with the reputation.
Yes it is expensive! Hey...you are at war with a nation, this is always expensive...and at the point you are allowed to annect towns you should have a stable income by trading and producing.

dont get me wrong, i see also the other side:
- there is a bug with the soldiers in annected towns
- i would like to have the possibility to build defense on my own
- i would like to have ships for "town patrol"
- ...and many other ideas for town defense
but there will be a patch soon and i will wait until it is released to see what will be fixed and what not.
Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
[Image: http://imghost4you.com/images/46.png]
@ Dorimil

Bottom line is, if i get it right, that we're on the same page which is that we figured out how to do things (like defending your towns) but we sure like it do be easier or say less complicated?
I mean, i know what's not possible or possible anymore but since i can't do anything about it, i try to figure out a way how do deal with it. I just state it here in order to make Kalypso think about those things and maybe changing it with upcoming patches, just like you said.

By the way...

Quote:i would like the option to sell for freedom also (never used it in PR2 :Cool: ).

I used that option only when i cornered one nation and the viceroy offered me a full pardon, in order to get the "friendly"-status immediately. I was thus able to start to annex for that nation right away to get the whole building terrain in my own cities.

But that's not important . Big Grin

Ahoy.
"Merchant and pirate were for a long period one and the same person. Even today mercantile morality is really nothing but a refinement of piratical morality."
I have a similar problem with the defense of cities. When I take over a city that after the war, and even sometimes in the middle of it, a hostile military convoys abundance overwhelm me. For example, after the acquisition of Spanish cities, comes to me at least of twenty fleets (maybe more) How do I defend against something like that?
The developers likely only tested the trading aspects of this game since its a trading simulator, nothing more.

Sad i know, the most boring and dull feature is the only thing viable to do, while combat is the most neglected feature, i mean, they shouldn't have even bothered to implement it.
Can anyone tell me if this really annoying bug has been fixed? - it passed 3y already? Or these guys are interested with their own vision on this game?
(06-05-2012, 03:32 PM)Reod Wrote: Its so broken that its not even funny...Did anyone tested it before releasing game??

I mean as a Spain privateer and being in war with France and having rightfully letter of marque to fight them i conquered couple towns...war ended with peace ...but it began ... France raids to conquer my Towns  even war ended... and i cant defend them in any way ... my fleet is in town but cant do shit...it isnt just bug but gamebreaking mechanics ... French small fleet enter town WHERE IS MY HUGE fleet and just take it... and when i try take them on sea ...all other nations declare me as a Pirate ... i mean WTF?? Did  just combat mechanics developing stoped in mid and town defense got forgoten???

All that was in adventures campaign...

EDIT : And what with politics?Peace treaty or something?How to reedem my self with nation after becoming pirate becouse defending OWN city...

Edit 2: Changed name of topic to better describe problem.
The year is now 2017! And I can confirm that this problem has been fixed for the most part! All you have to do is buy the expansion for this game called "Harbor Master"! It allows you to, but money towards YOUR city defenses, and in regards to having your fleets guard your town, all you have to do is anchor your fleet in the town and put them in guard mode! It looks like a shield, just check mark the square it has and your set! Cool
(06-05-2012, 03:32 PM)Reod Wrote: Its so broken that its not even funny...Did anyone tested it before releasing game??

I mean as a Spain privateer and being in war with France and having rightfully letter of marque to fight them i conquered couple towns...war ended with peace ...but it began ... France raids to conquer my Towns  even war ended... and i cant defend them in any way ... my fleet is in town but cant do shit...it isnt just bug but gamebreaking mechanics ... French small fleet enter town WHERE IS MY HUGE fleet and just take it... and when i try take them on sea ...all other nations declare me as a Pirate ... i mean WTF?? Did  just combat mechanics developing stoped in mid and town defense got forgoten???

All that was in adventures campaign...

EDIT : And what with politics?Peace treaty or something?How to reedem my self with nation after becoming pirate becouse defending OWN city...

Edit 2: Changed name of topic to better describe problem.

it is simple mathematics - you must not ever unless you are prepared to defend, let the status indicator of any nation fall below 3.00 o'clock ie anything counter clockwise of the hand showing your nation status. You must not attack under those circumstances or if you do, you need to defeat pirates and destroytheir hideouts to regain your status.

i , in settings, set the pirate threat to max. That way, there are plenty of pirates to defeat, and you then get your good status back with all nations - you even get a welcome as a new friend from a nation that once hated you when you get the indicator to 9.00 o'clock.
winning battles with pirates or any boat is another matter. if you want some tips let me know in these comments.

If you get a letter of mark it stops all the other nations except the one you are attacking from losing faith with you. It also means the nation you are attacking will eventually hate you if you overdo it. good luck. go and find some pirates to defeat, then this will get you back in the good books cheers