Why can't I shoot short range?
The mercs seem unable to shoot short range. If an enemy runs right up to him, which happens often, the mercs will refuse to fire. They'll whine "I can't make that shot!" even when they are holding a shotgun and the enemy is right in front of them hacking them to bits with a machete.

WTF is up with that?!?!
This BiA feature is a "two edged sword" - knife, axe, machete - that improves the chance of a successful melee attack by enemies but also your mercs too! It "fixes" the difficulty of melee attacks in the old JA series games. See more below on that.

If you rush an enemy with one of YOUR mercs who has a melee weapon, the enemy soldier will not be able to "make the shot" either. You can rush from 40-50 feet away and they won't fire a shot! They will try to fight back with their rifle/pistol butt but will be no match for a good melee merc. Watch out for other enemies who can shoot you while you fight!

When one of your mercs says they can't make the shot when an melee enemy is rushing them, have your merc fight hand to hand or run away. It's good to have other mercs a little farther back who can shoot the attacker to help the attacked merc with melee combat.

So, "Can't make the shot" works both ways and you will like it when you learn to use it. I hired Bull early on. In one sector I put him in a dumpster with a door partially open, the closed end away from the enemies. As they came around the corner, he axed them easily. Since a melee attack is a silent attack, he just waited for the next enemy. He put down 11 mercs in one sector...admittedly a little unrealistic...but very helpful when you're first getting started. (Later on in the game, the enemies get better and even a good melee merc will take some damage.)

More on old JA games:
In the old JA games (which I played a LOT), turn-based melee attacks were almost alway a disaster. Limited action points and enemy detection distances would mostly cause your merc to get shot to pieces before they could get a stab in edgewise, so to speak. If you could sneak up real close without being detected could you count on a successful slash/chop kill. Or if you waited around a corner with good action points and the enemy came around the corner. But even with good stealth mercs, the set up had to be just right!

Maybe you already found this out by now but your post was kind of an orphan & that 's no fun.
Hope this helps, OneMug
(01-07-2012, 08:54 AM)OneMug Wrote: This BiA feature is a "two edged sword" - knife, axe, machete - that improves the chance of a successful melee attack by enemies but also your mercs too! It "fixes" the difficulty of melee attacks in the old JA series games. See more below on that.

If you rush an enemy with one of YOUR mercs who has a melee weapon, the enemy soldier will not be able to "make the shot" either. You can rush from 40-50 feet away and they won't fire a shot! They will try to fight back with their rifle/pistol butt but will be no match for a good melee merc. Watch out for other enemies who can shoot you while you fight!

When one of your mercs says they can't make the shot when an melee enemy is rushing them, have your merc fight hand to hand or run away. It's good to have other mercs a little farther back who can shoot the attacker to help the attacked merc with melee combat.

So, "Can't make the shot" works both ways and you will like it when you learn to use it. I hired Bull early on. In one sector I put him in a dumpster with a door partially open, the closed end away from the enemies. As they came around the corner, he axed them easily. Since a melee attack is a silent attack, he just waited for the next enemy. He put down 11 mercs in one sector...admittedly a little unrealistic...but very helpful when you're first getting started. (Later on in the game, the enemies get better and even a good melee merc will take some damage.)

More on old JA games:
In the old JA games (which I played a LOT), turn-based melee attacks were almost alway a disaster. Limited action points and enemy detection distances would mostly cause your merc to get shot to pieces before they could get a stab in edgewise, so to speak. If you could sneak up real close without being detected could you count on a successful slash/chop kill. Or if you waited around a corner with good action points and the enemy came around the corner. But even with good stealth mercs, the set up had to be just right!

Maybe you already found this out by now but your post was kind of an orphan & that 's no fun.
Hope this helps, OneMug

lol thanks for the detailed response. an interesting system for sure, but I do prefer the intuitive system where the closer an enemy is, the easier it is for the merc to make the shot with shotguns, pistols, and machine guns, but not with rifles. I don't mind the danger of being shot at close range by an enemy; that is what makes the challenge of a melee kill worth it. It seems somewhat cheapened by the peculiar inability to fire while being rushed -- undermines the believability of the combat for me.

I found that after I played the game for a while, I liked it less and less. Too slow and awkward. strangely slow rate of fire on many of the guns. I find when I shoot a pistol I'd prefer my guy do it more than once every 1.5 seconds. I didn't like having to micromanage every single action that my guys did because they didn't seem clever enough to figure it out on their own (open a door to get inside a room), and a great many times my guys would refuse to defend themselves while getting shot, even when I would activate the 'stand ground' shield button, or even command them to fire multiple times they would either only do it once or not at all and simply stand dumbly and die like they're afk. What's more, I found it unbelievable that such highly trained mercs would refuse to take a shot because a tree is in the way, and just whine about it and stand there idly instead of using intelligent ai to find the marked target.
In terms of marking a target, as well, the camera system was infernal. an over-the-head system with awkward rotation, and zooming in brings the camera in on an angle which, if your enemy is in a building and you're not, might allow you to see his feet and only shoot those, although you're completely visible to the view of the enemy who gets to see through their own eyes. And to pick nits, having my characters loudly shouting repetitive phrases whenever I selected or commanded them got old very quickly.

These were just a few of many reasons which, for me, turned what looked like it could be an interesting tactical shooter into a badly interfaced, badly executed, slow, awkward micromanaging babysitting fiasco. Not enough pros to balance out the cons. Some may like it, but me, I'll stick to the real-time-strategy like rainbow six, metal gear or call of duty where you actually have total, fluid control of one character at a time, instead of terrible control over many.

Thanks anyhow Smile
PistolSlap appreciate your feedback. I've played Medal of Honor, Call of Duty (not all), Half-life, series & brigade E5 & 7.62 with the "Blue" mods. I still have JA Wildfire & X-Com, UFO unknown (via DOS box) on my computer and play them once in a while. Each game has its own pros & cons. Some are better than others. I will probably play BiA in its various forms off & on, now and in future. My favorite? HL-2 w/episodes. Smile)

Anyway, you have some good things to say. Whatever floats your boat. Nice chatting with you. Best, OneMug