Tropico 3 PC Demo released!
very nice! even runs on my athlonxp 2400+ 2ghz, 1 gig ram with geforce 4 (128)

runs means it looks not good at all but it the camera moves barely sketchy, so thats very nice, keep it compatible. big up!

now 1 thing

in the options i klick ok, nothing happens, when i go back, old settings back again, but the options itself are accepted and correct ingame (could be my odd system, will check it on my other machine now)
Ran smoothly for me, beautiful look to it.

I enjoyed the secret police. Oh and that Mushroom cloud was neat.

My only problem with this demo is... it makes me want the Full Game Now more than ever.
Presidente Sine Wrote:I enjoyed the secret police. Oh and that Mushroom cloud was neat.
Wow, you really got a lot out of these two missions ... ^^
Timo Wrote:
Presidente Sine Wrote:I enjoyed the secret police. Oh and that Mushroom cloud was neat.
Wow, you really got a lot out of these two missions ... ^^

I did the most I could. I even almost had a run in with the rebels... almost...

ok, so the Island only had 2, but we had them.
New mirror: http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/15191/Tropico+3+Demo
omg, the music is even better than expected! Tongue sweeet
Any ETA on the 360 Demo?
Hahahaha, just finished playing the Tutorial.
The island is shaped like a foot!
Nice touch.
Buckshot Wrote:The game crashed for me about 5-10 mins into the campaign.. Just froze and the screen went blank forcing me to force shutdown. My graphics card has been stability tested thoroughly and is stable. And my CPU and ram has also been deemed stable (12hrs prime)..

Is this a known issue? Perhaps driver conflicts? I haven't gone back into the game to see if it'll crash again.

Also with my high clocked 4870X2 (along with a Q6600 @3.6GHz and 2GB ram) I am unable to run the demo smoothly on Ultra settings (1680 res), even without any AA. The fps averages in the high 30's/low 40's, often dropping down to the mid 20's.

By the way, I'm using the 9.8 catalyst drivers

I am also using the 4870x2, which I have overclocked, and using catalyst 9.8. I have 4Gb ram, and my processor is an AMD Phenom 9950 quad core, overclocked to 3.3GHz; my OS is Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

I have got all the graphics settings as high as they can go (Ultra), at a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080, using a HDMI cable. I have played both of the missions on the demo to completion, including the tutorial, a total of 4 hours gaming. The overall gaming experience during this time was smooth, with no noticeable slowdowns. No crashes and/or errors were experienced for the duration of gameplay.

Overall I was extremely impressed with the feel of the game, including the occasional humour here and there that was used to lighten the mood. Even though it is only a demo, you still feel a considerable amount of freedom to pursue your own course of action to complete the two missions provided. The in game music was fantastic, although I assume that in the actual game there will be a greater variety of music, as after 15 minutes of gameplay the music began to loop. In terms of detail, I cannot flaw Tropico 3; with the various flora and fauna being especially pleasing to the eye (watching snakes slither across a beach into a cave, or seeing dolphins swimming in the water are points of particular note). To conclude, very impressed!

p.s. You actually get a feeling that you genuinely have power on Tropico as El Presidente, and able to actively influence events in real-time, something that I personally have never experienced in a simulation game before, even though I have played the original Tropico, and Tropico 2.
Original Tropico and Tropico 2 player. Keeping the Military Junta going strong since 2001.
Tried the demo and I have some problems with shadows. I have to turn shadows completely off or I get a lot of black lines/grids wich are really annoying. On the other hand, without any shadows it just looks weird. Is there something I can do to get it right?

Specs:
Intel Core2 CPU 6600 @2.4Ghz
2.9GB RAM
Radeon X 1950 Pro (256MB)
ATI Catalyst Display Driver 9.8
Display Resolution: 1024*768@32bit
WinXP SP3

Otherwise it runs really great, even with all options on high/ultra, no lag whatsoever... Cool
Downloading...

Thanks. Smile
BlackXcalibur Wrote:
Buckshot Wrote:The game crashed for me about 5-10 mins into the campaign.. Just froze and the screen went blank forcing me to force shutdown. My graphics card has been stability tested thoroughly and is stable. And my CPU and ram has also been deemed stable (12hrs prime)..

Is this a known issue? Perhaps driver conflicts? I haven't gone back into the game to see if it'll crash again.

Also with my high clocked 4870X2 (along with a Q6600 @3.6GHz and 2GB ram) I am unable to run the demo smoothly on Ultra settings (1680 res), even without any AA. The fps averages in the high 30's/low 40's, often dropping down to the mid 20's.

I am also using the 4870x2, which I have overclocked, and using catalyst 9.8. I have 4Gb ram, and my processor is an AMD Phenom 9950 quad core, overclocked to 3.3GHz; my OS is Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

I have got all the graphics settings as high as they can go (Ultra), at a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080, using a HDMI cable. I have played both of the missions on the demo to completion, including the tutorial, a total of 4 hours gaming. The overall gaming experience during this time was smooth, with no noticeable slowdowns. No crashes and/or errors were experienced for the duration of gameplay.

Overall I was extremely impressed with the feel of the game, including the occasional humour here and there that was used to lighten the mood. Even though it is only a demo, you still feel a considerable amount of freedom to pursue your own course of action to complete the two missions provided. The in game music was fantastic, although I assume that in the actual game there will be a greater variety of music, as after 15 minutes of gameplay the music began to loop. In terms of detail, I cannot flaw Tropico 3; with the various flora and fauna being especially pleasing to the eye (watching snakes slither across a beach into a cave, or seeing dolphins swimming in the water are points of particular note). To conclude, very impressed!

p.s. You actually get a feeling that you genuinely have power on Tropico as El Presidente, and able to actively influence events in real-time, something that I personally have never experienced in a simulation game before, even though I have played the original Tropico, and Tropico 2.
Have you measured your fps at all? If so can you let me know the frames you've been getting at Ultra Detail?

I have had no more crashes by the way. Must have been a once off. I'd still like to be able to run the demo on full visual settings though.. Do you mean to say you have everything maxed incuding the AA setting? I can't understand how you could possibly be getting smooth gameplay at those settings while I can't. Running with everything on max with AA off completely is just about playable for me.

Could be my ram I suppose (as in not having enough)..

EDIT: Froze and blank screened again just there....
So far my only gripe (if you can call it that) is with the custom avatar thing. On the General set-up the pistol is on the left side. It would be nice to have an option to put it on the right side. Wink

EDIT: Also, I'm finding myself reading every single option on the custom avatar setup. Great comedy to be had.
New mirrors @ Gamershell.com: http://www.gamershell.com/download_50826.shtml
Downloading at 1.1Mb from JeuxVideo.

Thanks! :-)
The water is missing in my demo...
is this a feature?
This is probably a problem with your graphics card and the driver version. What are you using?
Radeon 3870, weird. It worked before
Edit:
I fixed the issue, it wasnt a driver but some weird ATI Catalyst seting
Are you also gonna upload the demo on Steam, that would provide more interest in the game.
Buckshot Wrote:
BlackXcalibur Wrote:

Have you measured your fps at all? If so can you let me know the frames you've been getting at Ultra Detail?

I have had no more crashes by the way. Must have been a once off. I'd still like to be able to run the demo on full visual settings though.. Do you mean to say you have everything maxed incuding the AA setting? I can't understand how you could possibly be getting smooth gameplay at those settings while I can't. Running with everything on max with AA off completely is just about playable for me.

Could be my ram I suppose (as in not having enough)..

EDIT: Froze and blank screened again just there....

Remember its not just about system hardware, I have tuned my system settings to give it much-improved performance, for example when playing Tropico 3 I only have around 25 background processes running, I also regularly optimize the registry (remove invalid entries, then registry defrag), plus defragging the hard drive. I have also optimized cache settings, as well as giving processor priority to the foreground application (Tropico 3 in this case). I also use 2 hard drives in a RAID configuration to maximize hard drive read-write times. Believe me my FPS is high, although I have not measured it yet, but the motion on the screen is smooth with no stutter whatsoever. I have AA maxed as high as it can go.
Original Tropico and Tropico 2 player. Keeping the Military Junta going strong since 2001.
Razael Wrote:Edit:
I fixed the issue, it wasnt a driver but some weird ATI Catalyst seting
Good to hear. Can you share the information on the Catalyst setting?
Buckshot,

First of all, I just have to give you "the speech": we don't support overclocked configurations, yadda yadda, system stability, you know :-)

Can you please try turning down the settings; especially the textures to "High" ("Ultra" doesn't actually give you high-res textures, but keeps more of them in memory so it runs smooth), turn off AA, apply the settings, quit the game, then restart it and see if it's smoother and more stable, and let me know?

The 4870X2 is a dual-GPU card, right, Crossfire on the same board? Can you try disabling one of the GPUs and see if it's smoother/more stable?
hiigar Wrote:Quastion. Are there cheat codes for this demo? )))))

You need money? Tongue
It's moments like this that you really curse a 60kB/sec internet connection! This is going to be the longest 5.5 hours of my life!
BlackXcalibur, That's an idea. If you think taking those steps improved performance for you then I may as well give them a go as well. Thanks.

assen, I'll try what you suggested and report back when I can. Thanks.
Whenever I click on a mine the 'ore' overlay vanishes and won't come back. Even when I use the 'overlay' button on the corner it still won't work. :\
I just downloaded it from filefront and it won't even run the install. I ran it and it said verifying files and then it finished and never did anything. I let it sit for 3 hours while I was away and still nothing . I restarted my computer and still won't work.

Now I am redownloading it from a different mirror.

My specs are:
5200 Athlon dual Core(Two 2.6GHZ cores)
8800GT Nivida Graphics Card
3GB ram
Plenty of hard drive space

PErhaps the file was corrupt. Thats why Im redownloading it.
Geleihoofd Wrote:Tried the demo and I have some problems with shadows. I have to turn shadows completely off or I get a lot of black lines/grids wich are really annoying. On the other hand, without any shadows it just looks weird. Is there something I can do to get it right?

Specs:
Intel Core2 CPU 6600 @2.4Ghz
2.9GB RAM
Radeon X 1950 Pro (256MB)
ATI Catalyst Display Driver 9.8
Display Resolution: 1024*768@32bit
WinXP SP3

Otherwise it runs really great, even with all options on high/ultra, no lag whatsoever... Cool

Now the black lines/grids has been replaced by thick text... Sad
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7562/tropico3.jpg
On my demo i did not see any of the buildings? Or people?