Tropico 3 PC Demo released!
Ok I've got the worst problem. I've downloaded it twice now from two different sites and it won't work.

I have windows vista home premium 32 bit or x86 whatever you prefer to call it.
Said my specs already.
This is gay.
I run it and it does absolutely nothing.
No windows pop up.
Nothing anymore. I'll keep trying but I've already restarted. So I can't even get it installed.

And just to clarify, when I say nothing I mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING now.
NO WINDOWS, no anything, no verifying, nothing!!!
Will not install because it doesn't even start to.
broderickhicks27@yahoo.com Wrote:On my demo i did not see any of the buildings? Or people?

http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=1723
ppl, make sure your graphics drivers are up to date.
How about 256MB ATI Radeon x1300pro?
Running on a 2.4GHz processor with 4GB RAM?

Will my system cope? (I'm not good with all this technical jargon!!)

What with my slow internet connection and all, I've still got 1.5hrs to go!!
i 've just install Tropico 3 demo...
My PC:
E4400 2.0 GHz
RAM 1,5Gb
VGA 9500GT

So laggggggggggggggggggggggg

i'm going to restart my PC to improve FPS
Unbelievable !!
My PC (#69) can't run smoothly even with minimum setting
I think this is some errors
A Core 2 DUo PC with nVidia 9 series and more than 1 Gb RAM can't get Tropico 3 over 30 fps ?!!?
anyone able to get "last on screen notification" working with the tab key? there seems to be NO way to scroll through old messages, this is a very important thing i can't seem to do. hopefully, this will be in the final version.

i am impressed by the audio, i have a 5.1 setup and i was pleasantly surprised when i heard the waves crashing distinctly on my rear speakers. the game automatically knew i had a 5.1 setup without me having to do anything.

i think the almanac is too small visually. my screen is 1680x1050 and the almanac takes a tiny portion of the screen, i wish it was bigger and visually more interesting.

not being able to zoom in/out while in building mode is a pain, and sometimes classic view doesn't work if you are in a certain view angle. i would also like to be able to scroll around the map using my WASD keys but it seems defaulted to the arrow keys with no option to change the bindings.

overall, i am pretty impressed with the game, seems like they stayed true to the original very much.

ps. it would've been nice if there was some sort of readme file for general info. i couldn't find any txt file in the folder.
duy1124 Wrote:Unbelievable !!
My PC (#69) can't run smoothly even with minimum setting
I think this is some errors
A Core 2 DUo PC with nVidia 9 series and more than 1 Gb RAM can't get Tropico 3 over 30 fps ?!!?

1GB ram isn't much. Are you on XP or Vista?
1GB will run most games on XP at a decent rate.
Vista..1GB is the bare recommendation. Wink

EDIT: How much more than 1GB?
minmaster Wrote:anyone able to get "last on screen notification" working with the tab key? there seems to be NO way to scroll through old messages, this is a very important thing i can't seem to do. hopefully, this will be in the final version.

i am impressed by the audio, i have a 5.1 setup and i was pleasantly surprised when i heard the waves crashing distinctly on my rear speakers. the game automatically knew i had a 5.1 setup without me having to do anything.

i think the almanac is too small visually. my screen is 1680x1050 and the almanac takes a tiny portion of the screen, i wish it was bigger and visually more interesting.

not being able to zoom in/out while in building mode is a pain, and sometimes classic view doesn't work if you are in a certain view angle. i would also like to be able to scroll around the map using my WASD keys but it seems defaulted to the arrow keys with no option to change the bindings.

overall, i am pretty impressed with the game, seems like they stayed true to the original very much.

ps. it would've been nice if there was some sort of readme file for general info. i couldn't find any txt file in the folder.

I found out you CAN zoom in and out while in build mode. Have to use the page up/page down keys.
Luwinkle Wrote:1GB ram isn't much. Are you on XP or Vista?

Something very strange
My RAM is 1,5 Gb
Very laggy when first launching in game
But when i quit the game, and relaunch it, everything became smoothly ?!?!

BTW, thank you for helping Big Grin
Lol people and their silly computers.

Works great on mine with highest settings. Love the graphics, love the new feel! Just wish I had the full game! Argh!
you can also hold the middle mouse wheel if you have one and while doing that scroll it and it will zoom in and out during construction, its a bit odd but it works

all works well for me on the highest settings, its a bit laggy in the beginning but I guess once everything caches or w/e its very smooth. Looks very amazing. cant wait to play the last mission and the full game Tongue

I have 4gbs of ram, amd phenom 9850 quad core 2.51 processor and ati radeon hd 4850 512mb running on win 7 x64.
i noticed you can highlight a person on the island and hit the space bar to sorta "lock" the camera from behind them and follow them around.

however, you can't do this with the el presidente, what's up with that?

also, the ALT key is the camera modifier key, like the mouse scroll button.
You can also number / bookmark people with Ctrl + #. Then when you click that number it goes right to them. Handy for being a stalker. Wink
minmaster Wrote:i noticed you can highlight a person on the island and hit the space bar to sorta "lock" the camera from behind them and follow them around.
also, the ALT key is the camera modifier key, like the mouse scroll button.

Bornswavia Wrote:You can also number / bookmark people with Ctrl + #. Then when you click that number it goes right to them. Handy for being a stalker. Wink

Wow, two excellent finds! Perhaps these warrant a new thread.
heh, these things should've been documented in some sort of a readme.txt file. i think this is the first demo i've seen that didn't contain a readme file.
Warinheim Wrote:Running with a Nividia 8800 Geforce GT card and when I try and run the demo it tells me I need a DX9 supported compatible video card. I can't find a list of compatible video cards on the website it takes me to... I can't even find mention of tropico on the website aside from the fact that it's being made. I'm running with DX10 as well... Any one have an idea or know where I can find a list of compatible cards?

The 8800GT is not only supported, it's a great card for the game - most of the machines around the office on which the game was developed, have 8800GTs in them. So it's something else... drivers?
duy1124 Wrote:
Luwinkle Wrote:1GB ram isn't much. Are you on XP or Vista?

Something very strange
My RAM is 1,5 Gb
Very laggy when first launching in game
But when i quit the game, and relaunch it, everything became smoothly ?!?!

BTW, thank you for helping Big Grin

No prob.

1.5GB isn't much in today's computing world. It's passable on a XP..but not much on Vista.
1 GB is enough for Tropico 3, if you don't raise the resolution and the "Textures" setting in the options too high.
With the suggestion from a few in this thread that the size is the result of multi-language voice overs and the like would there be any possibly of a demo release without sound, music, video or other auxiliary files so as to lower the size of the programme download without lessening the demands of the demo. With the size of it as it is a great many of us cant possibly download it due to dial-up internet or bandwidth limitations or costs and a game demo is damn handy in working out whether or not the final product will run on your system and therefore in securing sales of the game.
If not no worries but i for one and im sure a great many of us from those nations separate from the great continents would be deeply grateful of it.
Just would like to say that this demo was amazing. Much more than I expected and four hours just flew by on this gorgeous Saturday afternoon playing it!

Here are my specs for those of you who either can't download the demo or whatever:

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Quad-Core
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
4GB Kingston DDR3
Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 1GB GPU
Windows 7 Build 7100

I'm running the game on all of the highest settings without even a hiccup in play. Truly an amazing experience and a game well worth upgrading your box for. It's games like this that remind me why I enjoy PC gaming so much (although I do own all the consoles as well).

VIVA PC GAMING!
Great demo! I was a bit worried about having Haemimont Games develop this one since I didn't particularly fancy their last effort Grand Ages: Rome but the demo showed that they've done a great job with the license! I haven't yet been able to try out the quality of the graphics engine since I'm running on an old computer but I can't wait to get home to try it out.

Even this old rig I managed to get a decent performance and the game worked flawlessly even though the drivers in this machine are pretty old.

AMD 3500+
1 GB RAM
6800GT
Windows XP
moribund112 Wrote:Windows 7 Build 7100
That's interesting because a number of people are reporting problems with the Windows 7 RC.
Timo Wrote:
moribund112 Wrote:Windows 7 Build 7100
That's interesting because a number of people are reporting problems with the Windows 7 RC.

Indeed, when I tried to run the game from it's icon on the desktop it didn't work at all. I had to locate the icon within the installation directory and it ran fine that way.
Bummer for you guys who cannot get the game work with your computers. Hope the issue is fixed before release.

Anyway, I downloaded the demo, being relatively skeptical that this could work as I have little faith with new developers shoving their ideas into preexisting game franchises and turning the game into something different. But not these guys. Tropico 3 looks pretty darn close to the original with some gameplay tweaks I thought are for the better. Graphics were better than I thought, and a game that has both good graphics and great gameplay is awesome.

I hope there is more variety of music in the commercial release. I think I like original Tropico's music better. That is pretty much my only complaint so far, and it is not a big deal for me.
i think you have to get a real voice actor for upcoming releases, as the tutorial is the first thing that most players will check out. i really miss the old voice of tropico1
orinsul Wrote:With the suggestion from a few in this thread that the size is the result of multi-language voice overs and the like would there be any possibly of a demo release without sound, music, video or other auxiliary files so as to lower the size of the programme download without lessening the demands of the demo. With the size of it as it is a great many of us cant possibly download it due to dial-up internet or bandwidth limitations or costs and a game demo is damn handy in working out whether or not the final product will run on your system and therefore in securing sales of the game.
If not no worries but i for one and im sure a great many of us from those nations separate from the great continents would be deeply grateful of it.

Unforunately not; if this were the case, we'd go the (more confusing and inconvenient) way of releasing separate language versions. However, all the languages taken together are less than 150 MB of the total 1.1 GB (don't have exact number with me, but you can look around the folder structure). It's just that there's a lot of art in a citybuilding game, and the player has access to most of it right from the beginning, unlike a shooter where every level has completely separate art assets.
Most of the issues that people seem to be having are related to issues like inadequate hardware, Windows 7, outdated drivers, poor PC maintenance, none of which are the direct fault of Tropico 3 itself, nor the fault of Kalypso or Haemimont, but some people on this forum seem to insist on pointing the blame at them......Sad Sad Sad
Original Tropico and Tropico 2 player. Keeping the Military Junta going strong since 2001.
Geleihoofd Wrote:
Geleihoofd Wrote:Tried the demo and I have some problems with shadows. I have to turn shadows completely off or I get a lot of black lines/grids wich are really annoying. On the other hand, without any shadows it just looks weird. Is there something I can do to get it right?

Specs:
Intel Core2 CPU 6600 @2.4Ghz
2.9GB RAM
Radeon X 1950 Pro (256MB)
ATI Catalyst Display Driver 9.8
Display Resolution: 1024*768@32bit
WinXP SP3

Otherwise it runs really great, even with all options on high/ultra, no lag whatsoever... Cool

Now the black lines/grids has been replaced by thick text... Sad
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7562/tropico3.jpg

And I forgot to mention that there is no visible water. Saw in the German topic some answers about turning off AA, but that didn't do the trick.
Geleihoofd Wrote:
Geleihoofd Wrote:
Geleihoofd Wrote:Tried the demo and I have some problems with shadows. I have to turn shadows completely off or I get a lot of black lines/grids wich are really annoying. On the other hand, without any shadows it just looks weird. Is there something I can do to get it right?

Specs:
Intel Core2 CPU 6600 @2.4Ghz
2.9GB RAM
Radeon X 1950 Pro (256MB)
ATI Catalyst Display Driver 9.8
Display Resolution: 1024*768@32bit
WinXP SP3

Otherwise it runs really great, even with all options on high/ultra, no lag whatsoever... Cool

Now the black lines/grids has been replaced by thick text... Sad
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7562/tropico3.jpg

And I forgot to mention that there is no visible water. Saw in the German topic some answers about turning off AA, but that didn't do the trick.

did you try going into CCC and resting all the options that have to do with graphics settings back to default? if not id try that