Tropico 3 PC Demo released!
Luwinkle Wrote:Did yall try going to OLDER drivers?
Sometimes it works.

I originally played the game with drivers that were about a year old and had these issues, which prompted me to get the new ones.

Shame too as I tried to sign up for the Beta testing but wasn't asked to take part. Might have solved these issues had I been...unless they already knew X19xx graphic cards were shoddy and unfixable!!!
Geleihoofd Wrote:And that is user nr. 3 with a Radeon X19XX card with the same problem, I see a pattern developing here... Cool

And here is the 4th one. With a Radeon X1950Pro having major problems with weird shadows and no water. Tried to turn on/off AA and VPU Recovery, changed texture quality and updated ATI Driver to 9.8 but no improvement. I don't necessarily need shadows but water would be fine

System: AMD X2 3600+, Radeon X1950Pro, 2GB Ram
Everything runs fine on the highest settings available, but sometimes the game slows down for 1-3 seconds. Only noticed this when a sound is going to be played (so it slows down while searching for a specific sound?)
The only issue I'm having is the inability to Alt+Tab in and out of the game - whenever I Alt+Tab out, I can't get back in (shows the desktop, despite Tropico being supposedly active, I can hear the sounds, but no display) and have to terminate the game via the task manager. With very limited troubleshooting, I think this may be related to AA (or even to changes in AA settings). Other than that annoying bug (I do tend to Alt+Tab every now and then), it's been smooth sailing.

System specs:
Core i7 950@3.8Ghz - 6Gb RAM
Vista 64 bit SP2
2 x GTX 285 (SLI) @ default clocks - 190.38 driver version (tried newer driver, same problem, keeping .38 for compatibility with other software)
1680x1050 resolution @ max quality settings (AA off - see above)
mackintosh Wrote:The only issue I'm having is the inability to Alt+Tab in and out of the game - whenever I Alt+Tab out, I can't get back in (shows the desktop, despite Tropico being supposedly active, I can hear the sounds, but no display) and have to terminate the game via the task manager. With very limited troubleshooting, I think this may be related to AA (or even to changes in AA settings). Other than that annoying bug (I do tend to Alt+Tab every now and then), it's been smooth sailing.

System specs:
Core i7 950@3.8Ghz - 6Gb RAM
Vista 64 bit SP2
2 x GTX 285 (SLI) @ default clocks - 190.38 driver version (tried newer driver, same problem, keeping .38 for compatibility with other software)
1680x1050 resolution @ max quality settings (AA off - see above)

It's probably because you're running the game on Windows Vista 64 bit. Does using the Windows button work?
krell Wrote:Major graphics issues here as well. Strange 'bands' moving across the screen, no detail or water. Boot screen, after selecting the "bananas" mission goes weirdly pixelated.

I've tried playing with all settings (Lowering settings, turning shadows off etc), made sure VPU Recover is on etc etc. Scratching my head on this one as all other games on my machine work flawlessly.

Specs:
Dual 'Dual Core' Xeon 2.66Ghz
9GB RAM (Kingston)
ATi Radeon X1900 (512Mb)
Latest graphics drivers
Display Resolution: 1920x1200@32bit
WinXP

Krell

OMFG you are f*cking kidding me?? Why have NINE GIGABYTE OF RAM when you only have a mediocre 2.66 GHz dual core, and an outdated Radeon X1900?!?!?!? It is a waste of RAM! You will never use all that! Instead of spending money on RAM that you are never going to use, buy a new processor! And a new graphics card!!!!!

On another note, I agree with the earlier comment by minmaster, that people seriously need to upgrade their systems if they expect to run a new game at peak performance, with no graphical errors/slowdowns etc. If people don't want the hassle of upgrading their systems, or taking some personal responsibility for maintaining their pc, then get an Xbox360, and get Tropico 3 for that instead, cos at the end of the day, it is not the fault of Kalypso or Haemimont if your game doesn't run properly on an obsolete system.
Original Tropico and Tropico 2 player. Keeping the Military Junta going strong since 2001.
eagle Wrote:It's probably because you're running the game on Windows Vista 64 bit. Does using the Windows button work?

No. I mean, it works in the sense that it does show the desktop, but I can't get back in, just like with regular Alt+Tab. And it's definitely caused by AA, just did a bunch of testing and as long as AA is off, everything works fine. Weird that it'd be caused by 64 bit tho, I don't have these problems in other games.
BlackXcalibur Wrote:
krell Wrote:Major graphics issues here as well. Strange 'bands' moving across the screen, no detail or water. Boot screen, after selecting the "bananas" mission goes weirdly pixelated.

I've tried playing with all settings (Lowering settings, turning shadows off etc), made sure VPU Recover is on etc etc. Scratching my head on this one as all other games on my machine work flawlessly.

Specs:
9GB RAM (Kingston)
ATi Radeon X1900 (512Mb)
Latest graphics drivers
WinXP

Krell

OMFG you are f*cking kidding me?? Why have NINE GIGABYTE OF RAM when you only have a mediocre 2.66 GHz dual core, and an outdated Radeon X1900?!?!?!? It is a waste of RAM! You will never use all that! Instead of spending money on RAM that you are never going to use, buy a new processor! And a new graphics card!!!!!

If he has a 64bit OS than it ain't a big waste.
If his windows XP is 32bit, than it is a waste, since only a max of 4gb can be referenced.

Specs:
9GB RAM (Kingston)
ATi Radeon X1900 (512Mb)
Latest graphics drivers
WinXP

Krell

I have the same exact problem!I also have the same Ati Radeon
BlackXcalibur Wrote:

Specs:
9GB RAM (Kingston)
ATi Radeon X1900 (512Mb)
Latest graphics drivers
WinXP

Krell

On another note, I agree with the earlier comment by minmaster, that people seriously need to upgrade their systems if they expect to run a new game at peak performance, with no graphical errors/slowdowns etc. If people don't want the hassle of upgrading their systems, or taking some personal responsibility for maintaining their pc, then get an Xbox360, and get Tropico 3 for that instead, cos at the end of the day, it is not the fault of Kalypso or Haemimont if your game doesn't run properly on an obsolete system.

I'm sorry that your dog died but don't reflect that on other people. Granted, 9GB RAM seems a bit of an overkill but his rig is definitely NOT obsolete, it meets the min. specs. As you may have (or probably have not) read there are more people (i.e. Radeon X19XX users) who have problems with shadows, water and/or AA, so my best bet is that there are still some AA problems with the game that should be ironed out when the game is in store (or in a patch).
mackintosh Wrote:
eagle Wrote:It's probably because you're running the game on Windows Vista 64 bit. Does using the Windows button work?

No. I mean, it works in the sense that it does show the desktop, but I can't get back in, just like with regular Alt+Tab. And it's definitely caused by AA, just did a bunch of testing and as long as AA is off, everything works fine. Weird that it'd be caused by 64 bit tho, I don't have these problems in other games.

I said it's probably caused by your 64 bit system. I'm running the game on Windows Vista 32 bit with all settings maximized (which is equal to AA?) and have no problem at all. I guess it's now up to Haemimont to investigate and possibly resolve this problem.
Geleihoofd Wrote:
BlackXcalibur Wrote:

Specs:
9GB RAM (Kingston)
ATi Radeon X1900 (512Mb)
Latest graphics drivers
WinXP

Krell

I'm sorry that your dog died but don't reflect that on other people. Granted, 9GB RAM seems a bit of an overkill but his rig is definitely NOT obsolete, it meets the min. specs. As you may have (or probably have not) read there are more people (i.e. Radeon X19XX users) who have problems with shadows, water and/or AA, so my best bet is that there are still some AA problems with the game that should be ironed out when the game is in store (or in a patch).

'I'm sorry that your dog died'?!? Excuse me for being realistic when I say that using a dual core rated at 2.66GHz with 9Gb RAM and a 512Mb graphics card seems a bit unbalanced for a PC, especially in handling some of the newer games out there. Yes I have read the posts by other Radeon X19XX users, and am all too aware that there seems to be an endemic shadow glitch, as well as disappearing water, buildings, and even Tropicans Big Grin . The reason I am getting a tad annoyed with people on here is that some people are moaning about performance issues, when clearly the issue lies with the end user not having a decent enough PC. I do, however, accept that my comment regarding the Radeon X1900 being 'obsolete' may have been a bit harsh, but it is certainly heading in that general direction. Wink
Original Tropico and Tropico 2 player. Keeping the Military Junta going strong since 2001.
I seem to have a rather aggravating problem with the demo. I'm running an 8800 GTX with the latest divers on Vista, but it says I don't have a DX9 compatible video card and refuses to start. I'm completely confused on what could cause this, and I've never had an error like this before. Does anyone have any advice?
OK, we obviously have a problem on Radeon X1900 cards, we'll investigate.
Ditto for SLI and alt-tabbing; we briefly tested on a SLI config, and fixed a SLI scaling problem at the request of NVIDIA, but don't have one running at the office permanently.

Re: Vista 64: my work machine runs Vista 64, it's perfectly OK for the game, the problem is somewhere else.

I can only envy the gentleman with 9 GB of RAM... the more the merrier :-)
captain jesus Wrote:I seem to have a rather aggravating problem with the demo. I'm running an 8800 GTX with the latest divers on Vista, but it says I don't have a DX9 compatible video card and refuses to start. I'm completely confused on what could cause this, and I've never had an error like this before. Does anyone have any advice?

Unfortunately, this is the message the game displays when it fails anywhere in the (long and complex) rendering initialization process, so it doesn't bring much info. Do you have anything weird set in the NVIDIA Control Panel maybe? Do you have enough system RAM (at least 1 GB?)?
BlackXcalibur Wrote:'I'm sorry that your dog died'?!? Excuse me for being realistic when I say that using a dual core rated at 2.66GHz with 9Gb RAM and a 512Mb graphics card seems a bit unbalanced for a PC, especially in handling some of the newer games out there. Yes I have read the posts by other Radeon X19XX users, and am all too aware that there seems to be an endemic shadow glitch, as well as disappearing water, buildings, and even Tropicans Big Grin . The reason I am getting a tad annoyed with people on here is that some people are moaning about performance issues, when clearly the issue lies with the end user not having a decent enough PC. I do, however, accept that my comment regarding the Radeon X1900 being 'obsolete' may have been a bit harsh, but it is certainly heading in that general direction. Wink

My apologies for that comment but most (not everyone, mind you) on here have specs above minimum so they have a right to speak out. Even with min. specs the game should run, although not with everything on max. Furthermore, it isn't complaining, it's just telling the devs what kind of problems they encounter (it's still a demo) so they give them the change to iron them out.
So again, my apologies but shouting and ranting like you did wasn't exactly necessary and those kind of comments tickles my inner senses...

Wink
assen Wrote:Ditto for SLI and alt-tabbing; we briefly tested on a SLI config, and fixed a SLI scaling problem at the request of NVIDIA, but don't have one running at the office permanently.

Re: Vista 64: my work machine runs Vista 64, it's perfectly OK for the game, the problem is somewhere else.

My problems are definitely related to SLI. I never bothered checking with SLI turned off - lo and behold, no SLI, no alt-tabbing problems to be found. Not an elegant solution but it works. While it's not a dealbreaker, since it's just a demo, nevertheless I would hope for this to be solved in the final release though...
We'll try to fix it, of course, for the final release or (more likely) for the first patch.
assen Wrote:Unfortunately, this is the message the game displays when it fails anywhere in the (long and complex) rendering initialization process, so it doesn't bring much info. Do you have anything weird set in the NVIDIA Control Panel maybe? Do you have enough system RAM (at least 1 GB?)?

I have 2 gigs of RAM, and I'm pretty sure I haven't screwed with the Control Panel. What could have caused this?
does the game automatically update directx during installation? if not, i'd advise everyone having problems to update their directx.
Works great on my computer...I download first from fileshack but it didnt work...I went back to a different site fileplanet.com download it from there and the game works great. Only problem is after you finish doing the 2 missions on tropico it ends and you cant keep building or continue with the game. But the game is great. Game play is very much like other tropico just much nicer. I am going to buy the game. I think its worth it.
The demo lags very badly on my computer I believe it is my processor which I will be updating along with my motherboard and ram. I did play it on my laptop though and I loved the game although it had to be played on low settings, unfortunately.

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 4000+ 2.41ghz
3.00gig rams
ATI Radeon HD 4650
Windows XP 32bit
Ichisv Wrote:The demo lags very badly on my computer I believe it is my processor which I will be updating along with my motherboard and ram. I did play it on my laptop though and I loved the game although it had to be played on low settings, unfortunately.

3.00gig rams
ATI Radeon HD 4650
Windows XP 32bit

same problem with u
Low setting or High setting, have a same lag
BlackXcalibur Wrote:

Specs:
9GB RAM (Kingston)
ATi Radeon X1900 (512Mb)
Latest graphics drivers
WinXP

Krell

It's actually a dual booting MacPro (2x Dual Core 2.66), the 9Gb of Ram is for running massive sample libraries etc in Pro audio applications... Granted that the windows side, being 32bit will only 'see' 2Gb max. As mentioned though, it does meet minimum spec's for this game otherwise I wouldn't even try.
The demo is fantastic and is very stable, in my pc runs fine with a Quad-Core Phenom AMD 2,5, Nvidia 8800 GT 512 MB and 4 GB of RAM with maximum details! Rolleyes
NVidia 8800GT is just an awesome card I love mine.
I just have a dual core 2.8 amd abd 3 GB of ram, and I run everything at high or ultra.
I would recommend that card to anyone. Great price for the value.
duy1124 Wrote:
Ichisv Wrote:The demo lags very badly on my computer I believe it is my processor which I will be updating along with my motherboard and ram. I did play it on my laptop though and I loved the game although it had to be played on low settings, unfortunately.

3.00gig rams
ATI Radeon HD 4650
Windows XP 32bit

same problem with u
Low setting or High setting, have a same lag
Exactly but I am confident they will fix it soon eventually. My laptop isn't even made for gaming but it can still playit perfectly on lowest settings.
I suggest an idea for transporting:
each Agriculture building (Farm, Fisherman, Logging camp, Ranch,...) or Factory should have mini trucks, when their "store" reach limit; farmer,fisher,... can load their goods to truck and drive to Teamster office
The Teamster office have some Bigger trucks, and they will carry those farmer's goods and workers' goods to the dock

And in each Shanty /Bunkhouse/House/Tenement, each people will have a bicycle/Motorbike so they can ride to their work place; when they are resting, sight-seeing, they will walk on foot
In more luxury housing (Apartment Block, Condominium,..) each family have a car
krell Wrote:It's actually a dual booting MacPro (2x Dual Core 2.66), the 9Gb of Ram is for running massive sample libraries etc in Pro audio applications... Granted that the windows side, being 32bit will only 'see' 2Gb max. As mentioned though, it does meet minimum spec's for this game otherwise I wouldn't even try.

Your !!! post !!! needs more!!!!!!!

On a serious note, the demo worked fantastic on my machine (Vista64, Quad Core, 4650 I think) and my girlfriends (Vista64 Dual Core, 3850) ... Everything was incredibly smooth.

Only complaints are that building roads is pretty horrifying. They don't seem to snake properly at all. Almost all the buildings dont appear to connect properly, then I get tips that unconnected buildings slows everyone down. There isn't much I can do if the roads simply wont connect properly.

Bought day one regardless.
Thought I should pop in here and say that the game runs flawlessly on my machine, without any stutter what so ever. Gameplay is truly awesome, and it's nice to see the community live up again. =) Would be nice to see some mod support or similar in the future though! *cough cough*

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 2.6 GHz
4 GB RAM
8800 GTS 512 mb