Tropico 3 PC Demo released!
Hello anyone ??

I don't have any WATER in the demo. HELLO ???

Seems there is the sea in the edge. But there is no sea near the coast.

My specs :

CPU : i7
Graphic : ATI 4870x2 (1Gb)
RAM : 2Gb

Any idea ?
goldenknight Wrote:Hello anyone ??

I don't have any WATER in the demo. HELLO ???

Seems there is the sea in the edge. But there is no sea near the coast.

My specs :

CPU : i7
Graphic : ATI 4870x2 (1Gb)
RAM : 2Gb

Any idea ?

Your problem is solved, if only install this:
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_cataly...radeonx-xp
Try playing the demo, I have the DX9-compatible card problem too. It seems there is no solution to this problem yet. Please if someone can help me. I love Tropico but now Tropico 3 looks grim for me. I have Dell XPS with GeForce 8400M GS and using Vista ultimate. I have installed latest nvidia drivers and Directx9 but to no avail. I'm not sure if this card is not supported but I just can't find the info in the website. My gaming rig has died of old age! I'm not in the position to buy any new rig soon too!
As much people like to think Crysis is THE mother of all benchmarks. It really isn't. I too have tonnes of games that do not run as well as Crysis and this is because the game simply does not have as much for the CPU to process as some other games out there. If you find Tropico 3 is laggy on a top-end system, then there is something wrong with your set-up. It's buggy drivers, fragmented drives, or failing hardware. Don't just assume because one game runs well, and the other doesnt, it's poor optimisation. All games work very differently from each other.

I have a fairly mid-range rig and the game runs totally fine. Tropico 3 is very well optimised in my opinion, but I hear people say it is very CPU heavy.
duy1124 Wrote:my PC
E4400 2.0 GHz
RAM 1,5 Gb
VGA 9500GT
WinXP SP2

The strange thing is the game have sudden lag (sometimes lag, sometime normal), although i set minimum or maximum setting (!?!)
I have no background program running when i run Tropico 3 (just turn on my PC, go to Win and play)

Well, your CPU is not very powerful.. Maybe try upgrading just that so some C2Q? Thier price dropped now, so it won't be expensive. Check your motherboard for compatibility.
Also, try patching your Windows to SP3, or at least see if you have these patches installed:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909944
Hello,

I'm new to Tropico and I just downloaded the Tropico 3 DEMO from Steam last week.

I've been trying to play this game since last week but I am having almost IDENTICAL issues as the user 'Buckshot' did. (unfortunately he never posted if he got it to work or not)

TROPICO KEEPS FREEZING and/or CRASHING and RESTARTING my computer.
I get to play for about 15-20min then it suddenly freezes to a black screen or a screen filled horizontal or vertical lines.

I would love to buy this game but if i can't even get the demo to work, i definitely won't.

I have tons of games (BF2, C&C, Prototype, Assasin's Creed, FEAR, FarCry, Crysis etc) and this is the ONLY game I have a problem with.

Am I the only one with this issue?!
Do the updates(1.04 and 1.09) apply to the Demo or solely the full released version?
If I buy the game will my issues be resolved????

Background Info:
I'm running a new upgrade to Win7 Pro from Win7 HomePrem (the game crashed on HomePrem as well).
I've completely uninstalled my display driver and re-installed a fresh downloaded copy, as well as updated my BIOS and nothing has worked.

My build:
Win 7 PRO 32bit
Gcard: ATI radeon 4850 (w/latest driver,8.661.0.0)
Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Mem: 3GB of RAM
proc: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.40GHz
The updates apply just to the full version, not the demo.

Unfortunately your problem sounds like a hardware issue, probably the full version will exhibit the same behavior.
Normal applications, like Tropico, can't freeze or restart the PC without some "help" from faulty hardware or drivers.
The "other games work" argument means less than you think, every game pushes the hardware in a different way. Tropico 3, for example, pushes way more geometry than the games you listed.

You can try leaving the game running for a while with "low" settings (especially "View distance: Low" and "Shadows: Off"), and see if it happens less frequently.
(15-11-2009, 09:59 AM)assen Wrote: The updates apply just to the full version, not the demo.

Unfortunately your problem sounds like a hardware issue, probably the full version will exhibit the same behavior.
Normal applications, like Tropico, can't freeze or restart the PC without some "help" from faulty hardware or drivers.
The "other games work" argument means less than you think, every game pushes the hardware in a different way. Tropico 3, for example, pushes way more geometry than the games you listed.

You can try leaving the game running for a while with "low" settings (especially "View distance: Low" and "Shadows: Off"), and see if it happens less frequently.

Thanks for the reply Assen, I'll keep trying to isolate the problem and will post if i ever get it working.
Problem solved.
It looks like my video card was over heating.
I turned the on-board GPU fan up to 100% and removed my case cover and the game works flawlessly, finally ^_^.
Glad to hear that.

In some cases, removing the case cover can make things _worse_, not better, if the airflow in the case is carefully designed and removing the cover messes with it. If your case is pretty old and stuffed with dust, it usually helps :-)
(17-11-2009, 09:19 AM)SirHandle Wrote: Problem solved.
It looks like my video card was over heating.
I turned the on-board GPU fan up to 100% and removed my case cover and the game works flawlessly, finally ^_^.

Why not add another fan to the case?
This signature has performed illegal operation and will be shut down. No charges has been filed yet. The attorney did not respond for comments, apparently he crashed while counting his potential earnings.
My case is a full ATX Thermaltake Armor...so its not that old.
I've already maxed out the fans. I had even replaced the clear side panel with the one that has a 25cm Fan in it when i got it. o_o
I've heard (and felt for myself) how hot these 4800 Radeon cards can get. Although, I haven't measured the temp yet.
Well, if it happens again I might just see if I can warranty it out with XFX.
Hi everyone, i've just started playing tropico 3 and its very laggy. Do you all have a solution to this problem? Kindly share it with me, thanks.

For those who are wondering, here's my com's specs,

Processor - Intel Pentium 4 3.06Ghz single core
RAM - 3G
Graphic - Radeon HD 4770 512MB
Monitor - 19"
(27-11-2009, 12:29 PM)crimsontactics Wrote: Hi everyone, i've just started playing tropico 3 and its very laggy. Do you all have a solution to this problem? Kindly share it with me, thanks.

RAM - 3G
Monitor - 19"

The CPU is a bit slow; turn shadows off and reduce view distance to low in the options.
(27-11-2009, 01:01 PM)assen Wrote:
(27-11-2009, 12:29 PM)crimsontactics Wrote: Hi everyone, i've just started playing tropico 3 and its very laggy. Do you all have a solution to this problem? Kindly share it with me, thanks.

RAM - 3G
Monitor - 19"

The CPU is a bit slow; turn shadows off and reduce view distance to low in the options.

Thanks for your advice ^.^ The situation improved by quite alot. However,
there is still a consistent lag when i play it. I'm playing the demo version currently, will patching the game or buying the full version helps?
(27-11-2009, 03:36 PM)crimsontactics Wrote: Thanks for your advice ^.^ The situation improved by quite alot. However,
there is still a consistent lag when i play it. I'm playing the demo version currently, will patching the game or buying the full version helps?

Correct me if I'm wrong: the framerate is relatively high, but the walking units periodically stop for a moment? This is somewhat improved in one of the patches - the framerate is artificially lowered a bit, but the movement is smoother.
(27-11-2009, 03:54 PM)assen Wrote:
(27-11-2009, 03:36 PM)crimsontactics Wrote: Thanks for your advice ^.^ The situation improved by quite alot. However,

Correct me if I'm wrong: the framerate is relatively high, but the walking units periodically stop for a moment? This is somewhat improved in one of the patches - the framerate is artificially lowered a bit, but the movement is smoother.

i dunno about the framerate thing but the units are lagging. Its like they'll walk a step and stop. Things have improved after your recommendation but its still quite bad. To worsen things, im already on the lowest setting T.T
Is there anyway you can help me?
No, I can't help you beyond what I already did in the patch: tradeoff framerate for smoothness on single-core CPUs.
(27-11-2009, 04:02 PM)assen Wrote: No, I can't help you beyond what I already did in the patch: tradeoff framerate for smoothness on single-core CPUs.

How do you trade off framerate for smoothness?
Basically great demo - just about everything I was hoping for with Tropico 3 (original Tropico with tweaks, prettiness, and polish). I especially like the pretty intelligent individual AI which makes people decide where to work, where to live etc. There's little micromanagement of kicking your professors out of your tenement blocks so they actually move into those swanky new houses. Everything new seems to have been implemented really well too, though I've obviously not played it all. I will definitely be purchasing.

I still don't quite understand garages yet - I'm just putting them in at seemingly strategic places and hoping for the best. Some people use cars without any garages aparently though.

Game runs 100% fine on my system, a core2 duo E6850(3.0), 8800GT (I share the view with the team about that card... that's why I bought it Smile), 4gb RAM, Vista 64, 2 cheap 500gb maxtor drives fake striped. I didn't check the options before playing. Just checked now, turned out AA was off, but I don't rate AA that much anyway. I just went up to ultra everything, and it runs ok - It's noticeably running at less than 30fps with long views, I'd guess about 20, but that's only a vague estimate.

For those having weird problems... you may want to try keeping an eye on your CPU and GPU temperatures. evga precision is good for nvidia cards imo, realtemp is an ok general tool. I haven't got an ATI card, so I know little about them. My 8800GT runs hot - it's got a little diddy fan on it which I've been meaning to replace since I got it, but never got round to. Sometimes it runs hot enough to cause problems - ie over 100C. When it gets too hot, it never dies or forces reboot (thus far), it just generates artifacts, slows down to a crawl, or dumps you out of the game/application with an error. Thus it can look like the application's fault when in fact it isn't.

Anyway, I'm not doubting people's problems here - It looks like there may be some specific problems with some ATI boards. However, if you are experiencing problems that aren't easily explained, my advise is check your temperatures.
Just thought I would say thank you for the XBOX _and_ PC Demo. Oddly enough I grabbed the demo from Live the first time and tried it on the console. It was good aside from the low resolution and the oversized interface. So I headed over to the PC to grab the demo and see it in all it's glory. After trying the demo on the PC and realizing it was a keeper I purchased via STEAM. STEAM wasn't my first choice as I hate using 3rd party applications but 50% off and extra content is hard to pass up. Especially when there is apparently no retail version in my country or area.
I just downloaded the game and just took a review of hte game and thought about thanking you guys for providing us with the link to get a preview of the game. I must say that this is a good game and I'm sure it is going to be one of the most popular ones after its official release. I'm just waiting for it's release.
(27-01-2010, 03:11 PM)arran5 Wrote: I downloaded the demo off of fileshack.com. Once it finished i tried to play the game but when i click it, it comes up with "choose programme to open with" eg; word, paint, etc but i just want to play the game how do i just make it play?
thanks

Have you installed the game? If not, you probably have to extract the downloaded file first (WinRAR should work).
I tried the Tropico 4 demo on steam and it's awesome, I can't wait for the full game to come out! Since it will be a while yet, I decided to give the Tropico 3 demo another try. Last time, it had some pretty bad performance issues, but I've updated my hardware since then. I ended up not buying Tropico 3 when it was released because of the horrible performance issues in the demo, even though I loved Tropico and Tropico 2. I thought it was just my hardware at the time, but it still runs very poorly even on the lowest settings.

I searched and found some of the patch notes saying that Tropico 3 had a performance bug fix. I realize updating the Tropico 3 demo is hardly a priority what with Tropico 4 about to be released, I'm not asking for that. Smile My only question is, was the Tropico 3 demo not updated with the performance fixes? Is that why I see it lagging when Tropico 4 works flawlessly?

If that's the case, I'll probably get Tropico 3 to play while waiting for Tropico 4 to be released. Also, please remember to update your game demos when you apply bug fixes to the full game. Like I said, that kept me from buying Tropico 3 on the day it was released. Users use demos not only to see if a game is fun, but also to see if it will work right.

Edit: Tropico 3 just went on sale for $6 on steam, lol. It was $20 earlier today. I think I can spare $6 to find out if it works. Wink
thanks for your good information!!!!it's really useful..Fiber optic adapter