Omerta - City of Gangsters PC-Demo available! Downloadlinks
Timo Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

Omerta - City of Gangsters PC-Demo available! Downloadlinks
Demo Available for Omerta – City of Gangsters

Kalypso Media is pleased to release a new single-player demo for Omerta - City of Gangsters today. The free demo, available at the mirrors listed below, features two levels from the upcoming Prohibition-era gangster game that mixes city conquest with tactical turn-based combat and heist planning. Grab the demo today to get a taste of Omerta, the game where it’s up to you to put together a crew of criminals and take over the city, block-by-block, through whatever means necessary.

Download the demo from the following mirrors:

Strategy Informer:
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/demos.../demo.html

Worthplaying
http://worthplaying.com/article/2013/1/24/news/87968/

GamersHell
http://www.gamershell.com/download_97529.shtml

http://31.25.101.99/~jeroeng/Kalypsomedi...EFIGSP.exe

El Presidente on Twitter | Tropico 5 Steam Community | Tropico on Facebook
(This post was last modified: 31-01-2013 04:20 PM by Timo.)
24-01-2013 11:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Redjevel Offline

RE: Omerta - City of Gangsters PC-Demo available! Downloadlinks
Yey :3 Thanks! downloading!
24-01-2013 11:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pyrrhus Offline

Thanks for the demo Kalypso! Downloading from the mirror from worthplaying!

EDIT:

Great demo! I really enjoyed it. Looks like you have made a great mix of Tropico and Xcom. The turn based combat is a bit simplistic and more chaotic when Xcom. But that suits the gangster theme nicely. The city management is nice and I like how you can buy and sell from the job menu. On the second mission I got rid of the competition by sending my henchmen doing drive-bys to close the other speakeasies and sent the Boss to take down the other brewery. Then I opened a new brewery and sold beer to the whole city. Good times! Cool

Can't wait for the release!
(This post was last modified: 24-01-2013 02:13 PM by pyrrhus.)
24-01-2013 11:23 AM
Timo Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

Have fun in Atlantic City and make sure to share first impressions!

24-01-2013 11:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the_samsquanch Offline

(24-01-2013 11:27 AM)Timo Wrote:  Have fun in Atlantic City and make sure to share first impressions!

GamersHell
http://www.gamershell.com/download_97529.shtml

Seems to be broken, takes me straight to their main page, also cannot see the game under their demos section.

For those in Aust the gamefront link seems the fastest atm, not seeing it on steam yet.

Thanks for the demo guys, cant wait.
24-01-2013 11:58 AM
Timo Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

Keep checking on the GamersHell link, they may be unlocking it later today.

24-01-2013 12:04 PM
the_samsquanch Offline

Just finished the demo, loved it, cant wait for the game release.
24-01-2013 02:07 PM
Timo Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

I'm dying for more impressions and feedback here, please keep it coming and share as much as you can!

24-01-2013 02:24 PM
XyonicS Offline

Played the demo, but got killed in the hidout fight in the first mission by a gang rush and not getting to cover fast enough. Sadly no autosave in the demo, not even one that removes it self after you are done so had to start again.
Other than that this game rocks!
So looking forward to the full game, for many reasons the no auto save in the demo is just one, lol.
I have it pre-purchased on Steam so will be into it the moment I have it downloaded.
24-01-2013 03:52 PM
Timo Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

Full version will support saving and - of course - autosaving. Due to technical reasons, the save system was disabled for the demo entirely.

24-01-2013 04:10 PM
BodyBag Offline

(24-01-2013 02:24 PM)Timo Wrote:  I'm dying for more impressions and feedback here, please keep it coming and share as much as you can!

Ok, here goes...

Strong points: Nice graphics overall, the enviroment looks really good with changes from night to day, rain to sun. Cute houses, interior and cars. I like the music, and the whole 1920' theme in the game.

Good voice-acting, your gangsters sounds beliveable.

I like the turn-based combat, reminds me of an old game "Silent Storm" from the 90'. Movement is very smooth, really good. I only wish that the blood would stay, and not be removed by the game.

Weak points: The management part seems very simplistic and easy. The player will be swimming in money, guns, and the other ressources in no time.

Also the combat is pretty easy. I played on Hard with no Perks, and still I finished without any losses.

Very limited replay because you only change some stats on your new Boss when you start up,- the rest of the game is the same, I presume.

Anyway, this is my first impression from the demo,- some of these things could be different in the finished game. And this is only the singleplayer part...

I still think it is a good buy for 34$, and I will preorder "Omerta" very soon.

Cheers,
24-01-2013 04:10 PM
Timo Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

(24-01-2013 04:10 PM)BodyBag Wrote:  The management part seems very simplistic and easy. The player will be swimming in money, guns, and the other ressources in no time.

Also the combat is pretty easy. I played on Hard with no Perks, and still I finished without any losses.

The difficulty for both will ramp up significantly with the third campaign mission. The first mission is really just a tutorial and the second mission allows you to experiment with the things you learned.

Quote:Very limited replay because you only change some stats on your new Boss when you start up,- the rest of the game is the same, I presume.

The full campaign offers more replay value as you can choose which district to tackle next, deciding which rewards and unlocks to go for and customizing your henchmen roster.

24-01-2013 04:14 PM
BodyBag Offline

(24-01-2013 04:14 PM)Timo Wrote:  
(24-01-2013 04:10 PM)BodyBag Wrote:  The management part seems very simplistic and easy. The player will be swimming in money, guns, and the other ressources in no time.

The difficulty for both will ramp up significantly with the third campaign mission. The first mission is really just a tutorial and the second mission allows you to experiment with the things you learned.

Quote:Very limited replay because you only change some stats on your new Boss when you start up,- the rest of the game is the same, I presume.

The full campaign offers more replay value as you can choose which district to tackle next, deciding which rewards and unlocks to go for and customizing your henchmen roster.

Sounds good.

It will be fun to play the full game.
24-01-2013 04:18 PM
IndustrialMind Offline

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought that the city management part of the game was fantastic: it's very easy to get used to, and incredibly user-intuitive, without restricting your ability to carry out a lot of different types of activities. I think it does a really good job of executing interesting game dynamics (i.e., the "Jobs" section you have access to, and the fact that different rackets earn money based on Like/Fear, etc., etc.). The relationships between each of the different variables and the different business types (like, loansharks boosting the revenue of bookmakers who boost the revenue of boxing rings and such) is very cool and something I'm going to look forward to messing around with.

The combat's pretty good, too, but I certainly prefer the city management gameplay more. Like some of the other people have said, it was pretty easy - but it was also pretty obvious that those first two missions were just there to get used to the game.

I can't wait to play the actual game! I stopped myself from "taking care of Louie's pest problem" in the second mission for a pretty long time so I could build a little empire and treat it as a sandbox mode. Lots of fun.
24-01-2013 04:42 PM
XyonicS Offline

(24-01-2013 04:10 PM)Timo Wrote:  Full version will support saving and - of course - autosaving. Due to technical reasons, the save system was disabled for the demo entirely.

Is cool, I am so looking foward to the full game.
The Demo is a very nice showcase for it, so people can try before buy, lol I bought mine the moment I saw it was on steam.

Also lets you see how well your system can run it and I am glad to say it runs great at max setting and looks very nice. Just curious as to the length of the days as they seem to fly by really fast.

Come on the first of Feb, some of us really want to play this one, sadly for me it will likely be the second due to being in Australia and having to wait for Steam to catch up in the US.
24-01-2013 05:17 PM
ZealousGuardian Offline

XBOX DEMO!! Will there be one?? I already pre-ordered the game but it'd be nice to have a demo in the mean time.

Awesome to see another strategy/turn based combat game coming to the Xbox! XCOM was pretty cool, but I think the combat mechanics in Omerta look even better.

Don't have a gaming PC so am limited to the Xbox, which is massively starved of strategy games like this, so it's great to see another one coming after XCOM! Would much rather be fighting AGAINST the gangsters instead of playing as them though, but hey, any strategy game is welcome on the Xbox!

A demo sure would be nice though! Any chance of one coming before release?
24-01-2013 07:50 PM
Timo Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

An Xbox 360 demo is planned, but we can't confirm any dates for it yet. It will likely not be ready before the full game hits retail stores.

24-01-2013 07:55 PM
tithian Offline

sharing my impressions Smile
The game is overall awesome, i love turnbased combat style and the economy system seems nice as well. Cant wait for it!
As mentioned before by mr bodybag, the difficulty, even on hard, is practically absent, so i hope it gets a little more challenging during further missions Smile Otherwise its quite balanced for people new to turnbased combat.
As for the combat itself, there is really nothing wrong, 100%! One thing though - maybe its just a demo bug or something - but when i have a pistol and toggle "aim" on for increased accuracy and then i click on the gun to fire (any of the three buttons for firing), the "aim" toggles off again and therefore no accuracy bonus and no extra AP cost occurs..
Another little thing - several typos ("you" instead of "your" etc...), otherwise the texts are great Smile
As for the GUI, it would be awesome if you could just right click on the "empty" part of screen to close ANY currently opened window, not just a building info window. You doubleclick on a portrait of a gangster to level him up, then you must click on "close" and suddenly a list of all gangsters appears and you have to click "close" again.. Irritating.. After a while of playing, this will get very annoying and its really not that necessary, since you can access all your gangsters via the gang button under the minimap Wink You know what i mean? Something like right-clicking out of any window in the current XCOM, it was brilliant and could fit in your game as well Smile Another GUI thing - the line on the bottom of the screen, where you see your money and liquor etc., is very tiny and could be doubled in height. Almost every time you move your mouse over it, it reaches the edge of the screen and strats scrolling the camera away Sad
Apart from that, its plain awesome Smile The graphics, the portraits, the level of detail, the combat system, the like/fear system and probably even the economy system, its all damn nice. Only the streets seem a little empty during daytime, but who knows, maybe people are drinking at their homes ? Big Grin
24-01-2013 08:41 PM
redScare Offline

OK, just played the demo.

Overall... just an OK game. Maybe 6.5 at most. Let me elaborate:

The strategic part of the game (city map) is great. Some GUI issues (no progress bar for gangster missions???) but great overall. Very good ideas, and plenty of things to do even in the demo missions. But the combat... man, it sucks:

-There is no reaction fire!! No way at all to put your guys "on guard" and let them shoot during enemy movement. Most tactical-turn-based-combat games have it for good reasons. Mostly that it makes sense. A tooltip says that revolvers do have reaction fire. But Doc has revolvers and didn't have any action for that nor did it automatically or whatever.

-Can't choose the order in which my gangsters act. Now don't get me wrong, the initiative order is cool. But you should have an option to make your current gangster wait and act later in the initiative order. For things like not being forced to shoot a 2HP-left enemy with the shotgun guy and being able to try it first with the pistol guy.or being able to move the melee guy away before blasting away with said shotgun.

-Line of sight doesn't work well. Sometimes you place a guy by an open door and you can see inside the room. Other times the game decide you don't have LoS inside the room (WTF??)

-Cover, although nicely marked by the game GUI, isn't consistent. Objects that should give cover (like being near an open door) seem to not give any cover (or the game doesn't mark it) even if the gangster have a nice animation for that exact placement (they peek around the open door).

-Infinite magazines!! WTF guys?? No reloads??? I could even live with this if at least we had an animation showing the gangsters reloading when you click "end turn" or something.

Verdict: The strategic part, although good, doesn't seem to be able to carry the game by itself. And the tactical combat sucks. If combat were a bit better, it would be a great game mixing "light strategy" + "light tactical combat". But the tactical part isn't good enough. A pity, cos the strategic layer seems quite fun.

So, IMHO, I'll probably buy it when it's on sale on steam, but I don't think it's worth paying full price for this game.
24-01-2013 11:50 PM
tithian Offline

i hear you there brother, no progress bars and lack of the ability to "wait" a gangster or put him "on watch", thats just wrong.. Im looking forward for the story though, i think its gonna be good to outweigh some of the minor issues, but lets hope that the combat gets a little improved in the final release..
25-01-2013 12:16 AM
XyonicS Offline

I had my boss knife a guy out of turn when the mobster moved into range while trying to hit Squigs. So maybe there is some sort of auto overwatch in there, but only works if the conditions are right. Also Squigs has a rest defence mode, not sure about other henchmen. The Boss also has his heal mode, there just is no auto end turn like in X-Com and I like that gives time to think.

Also the difficulty would not be in the first 2 tutorial and learning levels, Timo already said it will start ramping up in difficulty in the 3rd level.

For what the demo is (the start of the game) it is really just about right.

Reloads would be nice and some of the cover system is a bit naff (like chairs that could be cover, not showing as cover ect.), but I think the game is not based on combat like X-Com and is more about building an empire with some fun combat thrown in.

I for one am glad I bought it.
25-01-2013 12:40 AM
thebeasle Offline

I enjoyed the demo. I think this will be a good game.

I do hope the districts get larger in later missions, especially for sandbox mode. And I hope there are more challenges in sandbox. Once you are up and running, making $4k dirty money and paying off the police investigations at the end of the 2nd mission is easy. The combat is a nice break, but I enjoy the management more (personal preference I guess). The obvious comparison is X-COM, which did an amazing job with combat and I don't think Omerta meets that standard.

Still... running illegal businesses, laundering money, and bribing politicians is very enjoyable.
25-01-2013 04:34 AM
jztemple Offline

Well, my problem is that after three playthroughs of the demo I've yet to win the final combat at the end of the first mission, so since there is no autosave to load, I have to keep starting again from scratch. Therefore I have yet to see the second mission Sad
25-01-2013 06:40 AM
PeDaGaNG Offline

Great games.... Kalypso please take my money....more people please....we can do coop later?

Again Haemimont didn't disappoint me. Looking forward for Tropico 5
(This post was last modified: 25-01-2013 11:21 AM by PeDaGaNG.)
25-01-2013 11:13 AM
Matticus88 Offline

just downloading the demo now, but was wondering, Why is the demo not on the omerta steam page?
25-01-2013 05:16 PM
Walt Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

there is a news post about the demo including downloadlinks on the website.

Kalypso Media
Follow Kalypso Germany on Twitter and Facebook.
Kalypso Support: support@kalypsomedia.com
25-01-2013 11:21 PM
iwishicouldplay Offline

(24-01-2013 11:50 PM)redScare Wrote:  OK, just played the demo.

Overall... just an OK game. Maybe 6.5 at most. Let me elaborate:

The strategic part of the game (city map) is great. Some GUI issues (no progress bar for gangster missions???) but great overall. Very good ideas, and plenty of things to do even in the demo missions. But the combat... man, it sucks:

-There is no reaction fire!! No way at all to put your guys "on guard" and let them shoot during enemy movement. Most tactical-turn-based-combat games have it for good reasons. Mostly that it makes sense. A tooltip says that revolvers do have reaction fire. But Doc has revolvers and didn't have any action for that nor did it automatically or whatever.

-Can't choose the order in which my gangsters act. Now don't get me wrong, the initiative order is cool. But you should have an option to make your current gangster wait and act later in the initiative order. For things like not being forced to shoot a 2HP-left enemy with the shotgun guy and being able to try it first with the pistol guy.or being able to move the melee guy away before blasting away with said shotgun.

-Line of sight doesn't work well. Sometimes you place a guy by an open door and you can see inside the room. Other times the game decide you don't have LoS inside the room (WTF??)

-Cover, although nicely marked by the game GUI, isn't consistent. Objects that should give cover (like being near an open door) seem to not give any cover (or the game doesn't mark it) even if the gangster have a nice animation for that exact placement (they peek around the open door).

-Infinite magazines!! WTF guys?? No reloads??? I could even live with this if at least we had an animation showing the gangsters reloading when you click "end turn" or something.

Verdict: The strategic part, although good, doesn't seem to be able to carry the game by itself. And the tactical combat sucks. If combat were a bit better, it would be a great game mixing "light strategy" + "light tactical combat". But the tactical part isn't good enough. A pity, cos the strategic layer seems quite fun.

So, IMHO, I'll probably buy it when it's on sale on steam, but I don't think it's worth paying full price for this game.

I think that's a great assessment of the demo. I'd also like to see you be able to have more micromanagement over your characters.

-I think the game Gangsters did a good job in letting you choose who to recruit, not just giving the same characters and you pick who would be your current squad, but randomizing the game a bit.

- I'm surprised we had no control over purchase of vehicles or weapons.

- Will there be diplomacy with other gangs in sandbox mode? Diplomacy was such a key part of the criminal enterprise world and that being left out really hurts the historical accuracy of the game.

- Top down views are not good either-it would be good to press the middle mouse button and give a different perspective such as the street.

Truth be told, this game plays a lot like The Godfather II which became redundant after about 10 minutes. Get gang members, takeover a business and repeat. The only difference in this is that you just bribe the cops after you buy a few businesses and keep going. I hope the full version has a lot more variety/randomization or the last few months of anticipation and my scheduled Feb 1st vacation day will be for nothing.

+ side - graphics looks great.
(This post was last modified: 26-01-2013 03:24 AM by iwishicouldplay.)
26-01-2013 03:22 AM
stroppya Offline

Big Grin First off, Im loving the whole theme of the game so far. Also its great to have the development staff responding to comments on the forum so quickly it fills that there is less of just trying to take money and more about actually worrying about what you produce,,,, so credit there guys.... I take me hat off to you....

At the same time i must state the only concern i have has a player (PS i have already pre-purchased this game via STEAM) is that when i play the full version there will be a once only complete theme going on..... In other words i had this with XCOM .... Such has once i defeated the mother ship i felt there was nothing else to gain from the game and every time i started a new game it felt repetitious lacking the new experience each time.

I completly understanding just how hard it is has a gaming company to keep this going... There for i suggest you make the game Alot harder (ie nearly impossible) just so when you get to this stage of completing it. It takes a long time or maybe even making a never ending version of the game where you can build empire and keep going strength to strength...

PS thanks for reading Oh and im a supporter what ever happens
27-01-2013 08:37 PM
thebeasle Offline

(25-01-2013 06:40 AM)jztemple Wrote:  Well, my problem is that after three playthroughs of the demo I've yet to win the final combat at the end of the first mission, so since there is no autosave to load, I have to keep starting again from scratch. Therefore I have yet to see the second mission Sad

I had the same issue when I selected bare hands as the weapon during the initial stat/character build. Select something else during trait selection and that will be your initial weapon. Much easier when the boss has a knife or a gun.
28-01-2013 06:02 AM
haree50 Offline

Yeah! that is really amazing. I like it and appreciate to you for such a nice and valuable links.
Done for its downloading...
29-01-2013 04:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | kalypso media :: website | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication