Ask the Developers
MrAltF4 Offline

Ask the Developers
Hi Dollar Dash fans,

Feel free to speak with the Developers of Dollar Dash directly through this thread.
Ask them if they are a robber?
Ask them what they have had for breakfast?
Ask them what their favourite colour is?
Seriously, ask anything!

... just remember to be friendly Wink

Alien Spidy on Facebook | Dollar Dash on Facebook
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 05:08 PM by MrAltF4.)
30-01-2013 04:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MrAltF4 Offline

RE: Ask the Developers
actually i have a question!

What did you find the hardest task in the entire project?

31-01-2013 04:21 PM
Candygun Claus Offline
Developer

(31-01-2013 04:21 PM)MrAltF4 Wrote:  What did you find the hardest task in the entire project?

For me as programmer of Dollar Dash the hardest tasks were implementing menus and fixing bugs. Coming up with a new idea for a weapon, implementing it and playtesting was real fun, but fixing a bug somewhere in the menu was just hard works, but a necessity.
01-02-2013 09:55 AM
dAb Offline
Mr. Anstoss 2006

Kalypso announced the game for autumn 2012. Why do you release it later?

Alles rund um Anstoss inklusive über 300 Downloads und ein eigener Online-FM nur auf http://www.anstoss-jünger.de (Anmeldung erforderlich)

Der wahre Sacred-Nachfolger http://www.unbended.zone
01-02-2013 10:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Candygun Claus Offline
Developer

(01-02-2013 10:07 AM)dAb Wrote:  Kalypso announced the game for autumn 2012. Why do you release it later?

Hi dAb,

we simply underestimated the complexity of an online multiplayer game. We also added some xtra work with Drop-In-Out, Local Mulitplayer and the mix of local and online multiplayer (multiple local versus online player). It took longer to do it properly on all three platforms (pc, xbox, ps3) than we thought and that is what we want. As gamers we want games, which don't annoy us with bugs, connection issues, bad user interfaces,..., So we needed some more time to provide the best possible experience to you.

Claus
01-02-2013 02:51 PM
MrAltF4 Offline

(01-02-2013 02:51 PM)Candygun Claus Wrote:  We also added some xtra work with Drop-In-Out,

If you don't mind me adding some emphasis on the "Drop-in Drop-out" feature! its such a great feature!

Claus,

What was your favourite feature to create?

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 04:21 PM by MrAltF4.)
01-02-2013 04:20 PM
jonnyhales Offline

I read that Gaming Excellence voted Dollar Dash as best digital game from E3 2012. Was this a complete surprise and how did you feel?
01-02-2013 04:41 PM
Candygun Claus Offline
Developer

(01-02-2013 04:20 PM)MrAltF4 Wrote:  What was your favourite feature to create?

Hi MrAltF4,
One of my favourites is the Nuke. It is a big rocket which makes a really big explosion. I created it on my own. No one else in the team knew about it.
In our next playtest after creating it I picked it up (using a little debug cheat) and nuked the other candygunners Smile They looked really surprised and after a short state of shock a infernal nuclear war started and we had a lot of fun for the rest of the day. Yeah! Mission accomplisehd!

My tip: Disable all weapons and powerups except the nuke.
01-02-2013 10:57 PM
Candygun Andreas Offline
Developer

(01-02-2013 09:55 AM)Candygun Claus Wrote:  
(31-01-2013 04:21 PM)MrAltF4 Wrote:  What did you find the hardest task in the entire project?

For me as programmer of Dollar Dash the hardest tasks were implementing menus and fixing bugs. Coming up with a new idea for a weapon, implementing it and playtesting was real fun, but fixing a bug somewhere in the menu was just hard works, but a necessity.

From the art side the menus were also one of the hardest tasks in DD. Especially the multiplayer lobby was a challange to design - because it had to easily accessible and to look simple on one hand and on the other hand it's quite complex.

(01-02-2013 04:41 PM)jonnyhales Wrote:  I read that Gaming Excellence voted Dollar Dash as best digital game from E3 2012. Was this a complete surprise and how did you feel?

Being voted as best digital game of E3 was indeed a big surprise! We knew that Dollar Dash would be fun to play be we did not know how much they would enjoy the game! This vote gave us a big push while developing Dollar Dash.

One thing that also pushed me a lot was playing the game with people at the GamesCom expo last year in the Kalypso booth!
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 12:34 PM by Candygun Andreas.)
03-02-2013 12:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dAb Offline
Mr. Anstoss 2006

What was the latest time you left the work?

Alles rund um Anstoss inklusive über 300 Downloads und ein eigener Online-FM nur auf http://www.anstoss-jünger.de (Anmeldung erforderlich)

04-02-2013 12:23 PM
Candygun Claus Offline
Developer

(04-02-2013 12:23 PM)dAb Wrote:  What was the latest time you left the work?

I think the latest was 11pm, but only a few times. Normally we leave between 6 and 8 pm.
04-02-2013 01:24 PM
Candygun Andreas Offline
Developer

(04-02-2013 01:24 PM)Candygun Claus Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 12:23 PM)dAb Wrote:  What was the latest time you left the work?

I think the latest was 11pm, but only a few times. Normally we leave between 6 and 8 pm.

Yeah, the same for me (and for the rest of the team). We rather like to plan ahead rather than to work nights through for last minute changes... So far our schedules worked quite good...
06-02-2013 11:30 AM
JThayer Offline

How long did it take you to come with the idea of dollar dash?
How long did it take to make it?
What is your favourite part of the game?

Thanks,

ROBBER COMP!
14-02-2013 05:56 PM
Candygun Claus Offline
Developer

(14-02-2013 05:56 PM)JThayer Wrote:  How long did it take you to come with the idea of dollar dash?

When we started our first prototype of the game, the idea was to make a game, where you play a group of thieves with different abilities who have to break into a large bank and rob the money together. In the very first prototype we playtested here in our office, guards were patroling through a level with a lot of money in it, two weapons were available (tazer and beartrap) and multiplayer support. We started to play and soon realized that it wasn't that much fun to work together, because due to a bug it was possible to stun the other player with the tazer and the beartrap, which was way more fun! So we ended up running around and tried to pickup as much money as possible and stun the other players.
I think it took two to four weeks to change the concept.

(14-02-2013 05:56 PM)JThayer Wrote:  How long did it take to make it?

If I remember correct we started in November 2011 with the first prototype.

(14-02-2013 05:56 PM)JThayer Wrote:  What is your favourite part of the game?

My favourite part is the local multiplayer. Sitting next to the other players in this multiplayer mayham is a lot of fun. We had a lot of great matches during developing.
15-02-2013 10:51 AM
Jurjee Offline

I specially registered on this forum to ask you some questions. :3

How big is the team behind the game?
Will there be some kind of team multiplayer and/or more then 4 players?
Will we be able to create our own maps? Or even modding?
When can we pre-order?

Edit: I just saw there was also a compation here on the forums and I can't say no to a chance to win this awesome looking game. Though I asked more then just one question, I hope that won't be a problem? Tongue

ROBBER COMP
(This post was last modified: 15-02-2013 10:48 PM by Jurjee.)
15-02-2013 10:43 PM
Candygun Claus Offline
Developer

(15-02-2013 10:43 PM)Jurjee Wrote:  How big is the team behind the game?

We at Candygun Games are a small team. We are just five people in the core team: Andreas, who does most of the art stuff, Chris who is responsible for all animations, Jens who creates insane ideas and levels, Roger who takes care of all the additional stuff like localization, QA, PR, ... and Claus the lonely programmer. You can find a picture of us at www.candygun.de. Additional to these five people we had some help from Nick and Christoph, who did a great job in QA and Tobi, who helped to find some really really nasty bugs.

(15-02-2013 10:43 PM)Jurjee Wrote:  Will there be some kind of team multiplayer and/or more then 4 players?

No. We did playtests with more than 4 players, but it wasn't more fun. It just was more chaotic, too crowed and pure random who won the match. That's why we decided to support a maximum of 4 players and make great levels for 4 players. After this decision we also tried some team game modes. We tried something like a ctf mode and our normal modes in teams, but because of the 4 player limit the teams are really small, just two player. With only two player in a team you have only a limited choice of tactical possibilities, but you need a lot of options to make a great team based gameplay.

(15-02-2013 10:43 PM)Jurjee Wrote:  Will we be able to create our own maps? Or even modding?

I am very sorry, but I have to say no again. We are only a small team with one programmer. It is too much work to support these features for us.

(15-02-2013 10:43 PM)Jurjee Wrote:  When can we pre-order?

I don't know. Someone from Kalypso has to answer this question.
18-02-2013 10:25 AM
Inside View Gaming Offline

What was your inspiration for the game?

What was the most enjoyable part of creating the game?

"ROBBER COMP"
(This post was last modified: 19-02-2013 09:31 AM by Inside View Gaming.)
19-02-2013 09:28 AM
Candygun Claus Offline
Developer

(19-02-2013 09:28 AM)Inside View Gaming Wrote:  What was your inspiration for the game?

The danish film series "Olsen Gang" was one source of inspiration for the original idea of the game, later in development it changed a little bit, because the game mechanics changed. Also Bomberman and Worms Armageddon as great local multiplayer games have been an inspiration.

(19-02-2013 09:28 AM)Inside View Gaming Wrote:  What was the most enjoyable part of creating the game?

The most enjoyable part of creating the game was coming up with new crazy ideas for weapons and playtesting them Smile We had a lot of fun here in our office.
19-02-2013 11:27 AM
dAb Offline
Mr. Anstoss 2006

What are the similarities with Bomberman?

ROBBER COMP

(This post was last modified: 19-02-2013 11:55 AM by dAb.)
19-02-2013 11:53 AM
Candygun Claus Offline
Developer

(19-02-2013 11:53 AM)dAb Wrote:  What are the similarities with Bomberman?

Four player local gameplay in a level which fits on the screen and fighting each other!
19-02-2013 12:00 PM
MyNameIsMiro Offline

Do you plan on continuing support after the game comes out through patches and/or DLC?

Looking forward to this game!

ROBBER COMP!
24-02-2013 03:15 AM
Candygun Andreas Offline
Developer

(24-02-2013 03:15 AM)MyNameIsMiro Wrote:  Do you plan on continuing support after the game comes out through patches and/or DLC?

ROBBER COMP!

(18-02-2013 10:25 AM)Candygun Claus Wrote:  
(15-02-2013 10:43 PM)Jurjee Wrote:  How big is the team behind the game?

We at Candygun Games are a small team. We are just five people in the core team: Andreas, who does most of the art stuff, Chris who is responsible for all animations, Jens who creates insane ideas and levels, Roger who takes care of all the additional stuff like localization, QA, PR, ... and Claus the lonely programmer. You can find a picture of us at www.candygun.de. Additional to these five people we had some help from Nick and Christoph, who did a great job in QA and Tobi, who helped to find some really really nasty bugs.

(15-02-2013 10:43 PM)Jurjee Wrote:  Will there be some kind of team multiplayer and/or more then 4 players?

No. We did playtests with more than 4 players, but it wasn't more fun. It just was more chaotic, too crowed and pure random who won the match. That's why we decided to support a maximum of 4 players and make great levels for 4 players. After this decision we also tried some team game modes. We tried something like a ctf mode and our normal modes in teams, but because of the 4 player limit the teams are really small, just two player. With only two player in a team you have only a limited choice of tactical possibilities, but you need a lot of options to make a great team based gameplay.

(15-02-2013 10:43 PM)Jurjee Wrote:  Will we be able to create our own maps? Or even modding?

I am very sorry, but I have to say no again. We are only a small team with one programmer. It is too much work to support these features for us.

(15-02-2013 10:43 PM)Jurjee Wrote:  When can we pre-order?

I don't know. Someone from Kalypso has to answer this question.

You can preorder the Steam version now here. You will even save 15%: http://store.steampowered.com/app/214320/

(24-02-2013 03:15 AM)MyNameIsMiro Wrote:  Do you plan on continuing support after the game comes out through patches and/or DLC?

ROBBER COMP!

We cannot talk about details yet, but there will be definitely something...
(This post was last modified: 25-02-2013 03:10 PM by Candygun Andreas.)
25-02-2013 03:06 PM
linkenetworx Offline

Will there be leaderboards? What about maybe cross plattform multiplayer games?

best regards! Big Grin

ROBBER COMP
(This post was last modified: 25-02-2013 04:23 PM by linkenetworx.)
25-02-2013 03:38 PM
Candygun Claus Offline
Developer

(25-02-2013 03:38 PM)linkenetworx Wrote:  Will there be leaderboards?

Of course there will be leaderboards! We want to know who is the best of all thieves around the world!

(25-02-2013 03:38 PM)linkenetworx Wrote:  What about maybe cross plattform multiplayer games?

Sorry, no cross plattform multiplayer.
25-02-2013 04:01 PM
linkenetworx Offline

Are you thinking about porting the game to Android someday?

ROBBER COMP
25-02-2013 04:23 PM
icametokill2o9 Offline

How do you plan on supporting Dollar dash after it's release? How long do you plan on supporting it?

ROBBER COMP
26-02-2013 01:01 AM
Candygun Andreas Offline
Developer

(25-02-2013 04:23 PM)linkenetworx Wrote:  Are you thinking about porting the game to Android someday?

ROBBER COMP

Not yet, but maybe some day...

(26-02-2013 01:01 AM)icametokill2o9 Wrote:  How do you plan on supporting Dollar dash after it's release? How long do you plan on supporting it?

ROBBER COMP

As long as you challenge us we will battle you online... Tongue
(This post was last modified: 26-02-2013 06:00 PM by Candygun Andreas.)
26-02-2013 05:57 PM
Candygun Roger Offline
Developer

(26-02-2013 01:01 AM)icametokill2o9 Wrote:  How do you plan on supporting Dollar dash after it's release? How long do you plan on supporting it?

ROBBER COMP

This mainly depends on how popular the game will be. We'd love to add some new content via DLC and also patches to make the players happy. The more players the game will have, the more possibilities we have to support it in different ways.
27-02-2013 02:33 PM
linkenetworx Offline

Hey,

awesome game you made there Big Grin So have the winners of your competition been chosen yet?

Best regards,
Linke

Keep ob ROBBER COMPing Tongue
08-03-2013 09:23 AM
Zeothedeathgod Offline

(30-01-2013 04:51 PM)MrAltF4 Wrote:  Hi Dollar Dash fans,

Feel free to speak with the Developers of Dollar Dash directly through this thread.
Ask them if they are a robber?
Ask them what they have had for breakfast?
Ask them what their favourite colour is?
Seriously, ask anything!

... just remember to be friendly Wink

Really enjoying the game, having a blast with friends, especially local play. However i was thinking and wondering why you couldn't see how much cash you currently had in the bag. While i can see how it makes sense to keep that out, at the same time i can see why having it could make the games more fast pace or change who opponents online target when they are running. Hope the question makes sense and thanks for providing a fun game, hope to see updates in the future!
26-03-2013 07:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | kalypso media :: website | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication