Omerta Modding Options
I changed the first post to be more... contributing.

I've redone 9 weapons, including some uniques.

Problem with the uniques is that they use the name of the normal version behind it like:

Sir Jury (Pistol)

Which thus turned into Sir Jury (Luger P08). To solve this I looked for a special version of the Lugor P08 (Artillery Model) and now it looks like this:

'Artillery' Model (Luger P08).

Looks good in my opinion. This means the Browning M1900 is cut, and the Exceptional Pistol will be the Colt 1911
Is it possible to mod the 3D Mesh?
For anyone having trouble with unpacking, you need to use 'Tropico 4' mode if you are using Ford's tool.

(04-02-2013, 08:46 PM)Brumbär Wrote: Is it possible to mod the 3D Mesh?

Yes. But not easily. You need to unpack their 'baked' format and re-'bake' it. As it's Granny3D, you'd also need 3DSMax or similar, and the plugin (which isn't free and you'd have to get from RAD Game Tools).
"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know" ― Cicero.

"You had to hand it to the Patrician, he admitted grudgingly. If you didn't, he sent men to come and take it away." ― Terry Pratchett (Guards! Guards!)
(03-02-2013, 12:22 AM)Swixel Wrote: It's Lua ... it's not as if it's hard.

Are you talking about the attributes as in numbers, or the bonus HP, accuracy, damage buff type things?

Swixel, I can't send you pm I guess you've disabled it but I really would love to know how to use the cheat codes in sandbox mode or campaign please. You seem to know a lot about this great game Smile
Is there any difference in between unpacking as Tropico 3 or Tropico 4 .HPK?

Ive been using the default (Tropico 3) for a while now and had no problems.
(04-02-2013, 10:15 PM)gfella Wrote: Swixel, I can't send you pm I guess you've disabled it but I really would love to know how to use the cheat codes in sandbox mode or campaign please. You seem to know a lot about this great game Smile

I disabled PMs sometime in early 2012 ...

I know there are cheats, I know they can be used, but I haven't looked into the activation. I'm still primarily interested in maps; besides, if I wanted to cheat I'd just do something crazy like edit the map settings Tongue

(04-02-2013, 10:17 PM)Fireman Wrote: Is there any difference in between unpacking as Tropico 3 or Tropico 4 .HPK?

Ive been using the default (Tropico 3) for a while now and had no problems.

I think Ford made a comment on it somewhere; my on un/packer only work on Tropico 4 and Omerta. It has to do with datestamps. I never needed to unpack Tropico 3, so I never patched it to find out specifically what broke. (And my earliest method used a detour/trampoline to get Lua to copy out the files ...)

"You had to hand it to the Patrician, he admitted grudgingly. If you didn't, he sent men to come and take it away." ― Terry Pratchett (Guards! Guards!)
Ooh I understand Swixel... wish you could help out with your knowledge Smile
I don't understand why there are cheats if there wouldn't be a way to use them... if they are already in the game they were ment to be used to spice the game up a little Smile
(04-02-2013, 10:24 PM)Swixel Wrote: I think Ford made a comment on it somewhere; my on un/packer only work on Tropico 4 and Omerta. It has to do with datestamps. I never needed to unpack Tropico 3, so I never patched it to find out specifically what broke. (And my earliest method used a detour/trampoline to get Lua to copy out the files ...)

Aha so he said that the Tropico 3 unpacker didn't work on Tropico 3 itself. I thought you ment that you couldn't use the Tropico 3 Unpacker on Omerta, because that seems to work just fine (both ways).

I'm still working on the easiest part that has nothing to do with LUA (text and icons editing), for you it might seem easy to edit .LUA files, but for me it's just some readable words and the rest are symbols I've never seen before Tongue
(04-02-2013, 11:54 PM)Fireman Wrote: Aha so he said that the Tropico 3 unpacker didn't work on Tropico 3 itself. I thought you ment that you couldn't use the Tropico 3 Unpacker on Omerta, because that seems to work just fine (both ways).

I'm still working on the easiest part that has nothing to do with LUA (text and icons editing), for you it might seem easy to edit .LUA files, but for me it's just some readable words and the rest are symbols I've never seen before Tongue

Ignoring my typo (on should be 'own' early on), no, his works on both, you just choose the right one. My un/packer didn't work on T3 because I never had a need. T3 mode shouldn't work on Omerta, but if it does, great.

And the Lua is in bytecode form.

The cheats were most likely put in so that beta testing of the game could be more easily done that is usually the main reason developers put cheats in their game. Also the way to activate cheats has been posted on multiple sites such as on the steam forums and I think even a post on this very forum has it. Here is the one that is on steam forums http://steamcommunity.com/app/208520/dis...480938313/
Has anybody figured out how to unlock all the weapons yet? I'd like to use the in the sandbox mode since it's impossible to acquire new ones apart from the weapons that you can buy from the Crime Lords and Deputies.
The cheat codes mentioned earlier should be able to unlock all the weapons in sandbox mode.
(05-02-2013, 03:05 AM)GodlikeSoldier Wrote: The cheat codes mentioned earlier should be able to unlock all the weapons in sandbox mode.

The instructions in that post on the Steam forums isn't particularly helpful. I have no idea how to create a .lua directory.
(02-02-2013, 01:17 PM)Fireman Wrote: But no luck, I've made a list of cheats on GameFAQ's. In the .LUA all these cheats have ch in front of them like: chfullhouse. But since that's only to define the code during entering it's probably left away.

All of the cheat codes start with "ch". You don't remove the "ch" prefix when you type them in. You can enable cheats by activating "developer mode" (which Swixel clarified on Steam as more of a pseudo-developer mode) or by modifying CheatCodes.lua like so.

Change:

Code:
AreCheatsAvailable = function()
  if Platform.developer then
    return true
  end
  if Platform.demo then
    return false
  end
  if Platform.xbox then
    return false
  end
end

To:

Code:
AreCheatsAvailable = function()
  return true
end

And then repackaging CheatCodes.lua into Lua.hpk.

(05-02-2013, 03:15 AM)TwwiX Wrote: The instructions in that post on the Steam forums isn't particularly helpful. I have no idea how to create a .lua directory.

If you know how to create a directory in Windows, you know how to create a directory for .lua files.
Or ...

1. Make a folder called "Data" in the Omerta directory.
2. Put the following into a file called "cheatfix.lua":
Code:
AreCheatsAvailable = function() return true end
3. Play.

I didn't even think of doing that... Thanks, Swixel!
No problem.

The easiest solution to *most* modding questions revolves around: "what's loaded first?"

In my case what I want it loaded a long way upstream, and exists in files which luadec couldn't give a clean read on. Now that I've reversed a few thousand opcodes into actual logic flows (into Lua, in this case), I'm working with what I have. Unfortunately even the full developer mode in the engine won't be of much use to you even if you trigger it -- the pseudo-mode will bypass checks on things like that, but it's usually easiest to get around it by rewriting the function code, or storing then overloading the function or file you need. All of that said, at the moment Omerta doesn't really exhibit much potential for modding, save in map editing, and extensions to maps. (Notably Tropico had potential due to the existing map editor; first steps first here though...)

(05-02-2013, 04:00 AM)Adraeus Wrote: If you know how to create a directory in Windows, you know how to create a directory for .lua files.

As in, a folder? Yes, i do. If that's what you are referring to.

I created a folder in the main directory of the game and then placed the text file in said folder with the contents as per your instructions. None of the cheats work for me nor do i see a frame rate counter in the game.
Download this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgvkiv70gec2bnz/cheatfix.lua

Put it into the "data" folder.

Try again. I quickly tested "chbigdeal". It won't give you an FPS counter, but you also don't trip other nasty things.

(05-02-2013, 04:40 AM)Swixel Wrote: Download this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgvkiv70gec2bnz/cheatfix.lua

Try again. I quickly tested "chbigdeal". It won't give you an FPS counter, but you also don't trip other nasty things.

That worked like a charm! Thanks a lot, man!
(05-02-2013, 04:25 AM)Swixel Wrote: In my case what I want it loaded a long way upstream, and exists in files which luadec couldn't give a clean read on. Now that I've reversed a few thousand opcodes into actual logic flows (into Lua, in this case), I'm working with what I have. Unfortunately even the full developer mode in the engine won't be of much use to you even if you trigger it -- the pseudo-mode will bypass checks on things like that, but it's usually easiest to get around it by rewriting the function code, or storing then overloading the function or file you need.

Oh, I tried all sorts of things to get loose files to load. I tried wrapper functions, recompiling CheatCodes.lua, creating a Lua0.hpk package, etc., but I had no idea about the "Data" folder. I ended up modifying CheatCodes.lua, repackaging Lua.hpk, and then creating a binary patch so I wasn't distributing all of the game's scripts. The developer mode discovery came after that when I saw the mode toggles were being printed to the log file.

(05-02-2013, 04:25 AM)Swixel Wrote: All of that said, at the moment Omerta doesn't really exhibit much potential for modding, save in map editing, and extensions to maps. (Notably Tropico had potential due to the existing map editor; first steps first here though...)

I don't understand what you mean by "Omerta doesn't really exhibit much potential for modding." All of the game rules are stored in Lua.hpk. Not all of the scripts decompile perfectly, but enough of them do that I can see the potential for some meaty mods. If Luadec worked on every file, the entire game could be changed or the various bugs, balance issues, and wonky design decisions could be fixed.

Also, I know that there's Omerta DLC out there. I don't have it, but I'd love to know if you can get mods to load like DLC.
(05-02-2013, 05:03 AM)Adraeus Wrote: I don't understand what you mean by "Omerta doesn't really exhibit much potential for modding." All of the game rules are stored in Lua.hpk. Not all of the scripts decompile perfectly, but enough of them do that I can see the potential for some meaty mods. If Luadec worked on every file, the entire game could be changed or the various bugs, balance issues, and wonky design decisions could be fixed.

The rules are there, sure. But basic (or even extended) modding doesn't get you very far unless you understand what's in most of the files you can't get. Classes and Threads are a heap of fun to reverse by hand, and they tell you what you need to know about appropriately injecting data.

What you're mostly looking at is the data going into the system. Tables, small functions, and tiny fragments of logic. A lot of the heavy lifting is much the same as Tropico 4's codebase, but even then, a lot isn't used. There are references to things which the devs didn't end up employing but which work fine when isolated and repurposed.

But it's not so much that. There aren't "buildings", as such; instead you have collections of entities and logic for a placeholder/dummy. The units aren't that interesting, and the entities are limited. You could easily create new building 'types' to fill the placeholder, but what effect does it have elsewhere, in terms of balance? Then you'd need to start playing with the UI (which, again, yes, is in Lua), and expand out. Yes, you're modding, but who benefits from most of that? As the maps are small you're limiting potential, so, you need a place to use them first ... hence the sequence.

(05-02-2013, 05:03 AM)Adraeus Wrote: Also, I know that there's Omerta DLC out there. I don't have it, but I'd love to know if you can get mods to load like DLC.

Also, DLC loading in Omerta ... you'd either find it, or you wouldn't. If you've got a DLC-enabled copy, you have the 'Dlc' folder in the game's root, which has an HPK. But it's just data, put it in your own HPK, put it in the packs folder, or, better still, just distribute .lua files to go into Data/Mods/MyMod or similar, with a loader file: Data/modloader.lua

Could you mod an opposing AI into the game?

Sorry if that sounds a bit ignorant, but it's because I am where this is concerned.
On paper, everything is doable. In terms of manhours, probably not easily.

At the moment I'm working on a map which is four times the size of the current ones. It's going to take a while.

(05-02-2013, 04:00 AM)Adraeus Wrote: All of the cheat codes start with "ch". You don't remove the "ch" prefix when you type them in. You can enable cheats by activating "developer mode"

I figured that much, but I didn't know how to activate Developer mode. I went for the usual, make shortcut -devconsole, because I really had no clue where else to look Tongue
(04-02-2013, 06:07 PM)Fireman Wrote: Use the Tropico Archiver
You need the unpack the following HPK:

Local/English.hpk (not the English.HPK in Voices!)

It should unpack into:

<where you unpacked it>/CurrentLanguage/Game

Hello thank you for help thats work for me i just checked compression and it works
(05-02-2013, 04:42 AM)TwwiX Wrote:
(05-02-2013, 04:40 AM)Swixel Wrote: Download this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgvkiv70gec2bnz/cheatfix.lua

That worked like a charm! Thanks a lot, man!

How did you find your Omerta directory? I search in windows and steam and find nothing but a picture folder that's empty. I am using windows 7.

Thanks for any help!
For x64: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Omerta
For x86: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Omerta

(05-02-2013, 11:48 PM)Swixel Wrote: For x64: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Omerta
For x86: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Omerta

Brilliant! Thank you!
Thanks man! I can now get almost all the codes to work Big Grin It should be a lot more codes though...
I'm looking forward to play you 4 times bigger map Swixel exactly what I was wishing for... the maps in the game are way to small! I like to play it for hours so I really want to try your map out when it's finished!

btw... is it possible to change the the cunning, guts, smarts etc specialties somehow?