Omerta - City of Gangsters - Future and Content Update
Timo Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

Omerta - City of Gangsters - Future and Content Update
Dear all,

as you may have noticed we have gone a bit silent over the recent days while we were busy collecting and evaluating your feedback and suggestions for the future of Omerta.

The result is an interim list of features which we are planning to provide via a free content update (PC and Xbox) for the game:

- New maps for multiplayer and sandbox modes
- Enemy gang for sandbox mode, operating independently and taking over businesses - can both attack the player and be attacked by the player
- Customizable game settings and goals for sandbox games
- Economy overview panel for current businesses with their efficiency, profit, ect.
- Visual representation of individual business types on the strategic map via icons
- Additional difficulty setting and "Iron Man" option (saving progress in strategic mode disabled)
- Massive overhaul of cover mechanics in turn-based combat
- Introduction of multiplayer chat and several other minor fixes/changes

Our goal is to make these features available some time between 4 and 8 weeks from now and I will report back with our progress regularly. As stated, the above list is still work-in-progress and subject to further additions and changes.

I would like to thank the community and everyone involved in the discussions about gameplay mechanics, suggestions and tweaks for their feedback and ongoing support.

On a side note, we have just released the DLC "The Bulgarian Colossus" (previously a retail preorder exclusive) for free to all owners of the game on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/215373/

El Presidente on Twitter | Tropico 5 Steam Community | Tropico on Facebook
(This post was last modified: 19-02-2013 01:42 PM by Timo.)
19-02-2013 11:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aexrael Offline

RE: Omerta - City of Gangsters - Future and Content Update
This sounds good on paper. I hope the features will be polished and meaningful enough to warrant many hours of Sandbox with Omerta.

Have any thoughts been given towards implementing some form of cooperative/adversarial Sandbox feature allowing 2 or more players to participate in the same city section? Or even to allow 2 players to cooperatively run the same empire/gang, splitting forces in combat ala the Dawn of War 2 campaign?
19-02-2013 03:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Timo Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

(19-02-2013 03:12 PM)Aexrael Wrote:  Have any thoughts been given towards implementing some form of cooperative/adversarial Sandbox feature allowing 2 or more players to participate in the same city section? Or even to allow 2 players to cooperatively run the same empire/gang, splitting forces in combat ala the Dawn of War 2 campaign?

Yes, but I'm afraid such a feature addition would require much longer to develop and be more in line for content that we would like to accomodate with a larger expansion or add-on.

19-02-2013 04:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pyrrhus Offline

Thanks for the information Timo. Looks like you really listening to the community and these changes will make this game even better!
19-02-2013 06:46 PM
igor7111 Offline

It sounds good. Happy to hear you haven't given up on the game.

Any help to the campaign? I'm playing it for the second time and it all seems rather boring second time through. The addition of rival gangs and some of the other sandbox modifications to the campaign would be nice so there's some replayability there as well.
19-02-2013 06:53 PM
Timo Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

We are looking into the possibility of having the enemy gang presence added to select campaign missions. Since the campaign is story-based and follows scripted events, the risk of breaking individual missions by introducing entirely new features is quite high and requires careful balancing tests. We are however, looking into that and may add enemy gangs in missions where they make sense.

19-02-2013 06:55 PM
BruThoL Offline

(19-02-2013 11:39 AM)Timo Wrote:  - New maps for multiplayer and sandbox modes
- Introduction of multiplayer chat and several other minor fixes/changes

That's great!
20-02-2013 03:32 AM
zzzombie1989 Offline

Quote:free content update
Quote:- Enemy gang for sandbox mode, operating independently and taking over businesses - can both attack the player and be attacked by the player
- Customizable game settings and goals for sandbox games
- Massive overhaul of cover mechanics in turn-based combat
Good news, thx! Cool
21-02-2013 09:42 AM
GFather Offline

Thats sounds great! It will be good to see economic model to seem like in Tropico. Where you can see overall balace, how much you earn, how mush you loose. To see information about every buisness: what it bring to us from opening, and how much it bring from last timeslot.
It is also better to have a timeline.
I believe it is better to make economic model little complicate. Our busness is require some investements for service, guards, crew and other. And we have to plan our busness to work well with profit. I guess it will be more interesting. Also is wanted to have in available bigger area.

Also it will be great to make interactive goods transporting. To see how our cagro is stored on manufacture, how trucks came and take it to stores or to bars and nightclubs. And why our boss is walking over all city to do some deal. Why not by a car?

Thank you.
22-02-2013 06:40 PM
igor7111 Offline

Something like this would make this a really good game. And the same developer too. It's interesting that they didn't think of putting something like this in the game in the first place. I love the "feel" of the game. But after playing through the campaign, there's just not much left.

(22-02-2013 06:40 PM)GFather Wrote:  Thats sounds great! It will be good to see economic model to seem like in Tropico. Where you can see overall balace, how much you earn, how mush you loose. To see information about every buisness: what it bring to us from opening, and how much it bring from last timeslot.
It is also better to have a timeline.
I believe it is better to make economic model little complicate. Our busness is require some investements for service, guards, crew and other. And we have to plan our busness to work well with profit. I guess it will be more interesting. Also is wanted to have in available bigger area.

Also it will be great to make interactive goods transporting. To see how our cagro is stored on manufacture, how trucks came and take it to stores or to bars and nightclubs. And why our boss is walking over all city to do some deal. Why not by a car?

Thank you.
22-02-2013 07:22 PM
BruThoL Offline

Actually the MP mode is a good strategy mode, and implies farming and thinking if you want to match with top gangsters.

I regret there isn't the management part though. I'd have loved some kind of monopoly with the ability to fight out territories Tongue
(This post was last modified: 22-02-2013 10:05 PM by BruThoL.)
22-02-2013 09:59 PM
Swixel Offline
Epic Member

(22-02-2013 07:22 PM)igor7111 Wrote:  I love the "feel" of the game. But after playing through the campaign, there's just not much left.

Short of another playthrough with a totally different character, agreed.

Thanks guys; I'm also looking forward to it.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know" ― Cicero.

"You had to hand it to the Patrician, he admitted grudgingly. If you didn't, he sent men to come and take it away." ― Terry Pratchett (Guards! Guards!)
22-02-2013 11:27 PM
GFather Offline

I forgot. It is strange decision to separate ActionPoints and MovementPoints. I noted my mobs can't be in ambush, or use defend tactic. I believe it brake all available tactic. Our soldiers can't sneak, can't run away etc. It is not fear when mob can't shoot once, change position and again.
23-02-2013 06:30 PM
BruThoL Offline

You can convert AP to MP if your gangster has the "sidestep" skill.
"Sprint" skill can also do the trick.

Then, you can use knuckles, they don't end movement.
23-02-2013 07:22 PM
GFather Offline

I believe close combat is no useful Sad
23-02-2013 07:35 PM
Ryot Offline

This is great news! I just ordered the game, because I've been anticipating it since the preview in GameInformer - after it was ordered, I started reading the reviews. They basically listed all the things that this update is going to fix, and said that the game would be fantastic without those problems - but they weren't willing to give it more than 3/10 WITH those problems.

Hopefully this update will make the game as great as it should be, and people will give it another chance; reviews included.
23-02-2013 08:08 PM
Rico- Offline

(19-02-2013 11:39 AM)Timo Wrote:  Dear all,

as you may have noticed we have gone a bit silent over the recent days while we were busy collecting and evaluating your feedback and suggestions for the future of Omerta.

One of the biggest most important pieces of feedback you seriously need to consider is that you really need to go take a look at Gangsters 1/2 on gameplay guidance. If you haven't done this and you are not implement basic and core features then you are just not listening.
25-02-2013 12:05 AM
Azalion Offline

That's a great news. Thanks Kalypso.
AI in sandbox, Customizable goals and new maps are awesome!
Hope that would make sandbox as interesting as single player campaign.

Still waiting and hoping for multiplayer sandbox mode.
25-02-2013 02:27 PM
igor7111 Offline

Well I'm up to Kentucky Avenue on my second playthrough and I think I'm going to stop and wait for the patch. Too much same old same old, even with different characters. A down the road new campaign would be really nice. So much to like about this game.
*sigh*

(22-02-2013 11:27 PM)Swixel Wrote:  
(22-02-2013 07:22 PM)igor7111 Wrote:  I love the "feel" of the game. But after playing through the campaign, there's just not much left.

Short of another playthrough with a totally different character, agreed.

Thanks guys; I'm also looking forward to it.

I'm playing Gangsters 1 right now. Fantastic game. Those who haven't tried it should give it a go. It has everything that SHOULD have been in Omerta. An Omerta "atmosphere with a Gansters 1
game play would have been an all time great.

(25-02-2013 12:05 AM)Rico- Wrote:  
(19-02-2013 11:39 AM)Timo Wrote:  Dear all,

One of the biggest most important pieces of feedback you seriously need to consider is that you really need to go take a look at Gangsters 1/2 on gameplay guidance. If you haven't done this and you are not implement basic and core features then you are just not listening.
(This post was last modified: 25-02-2013 04:36 PM by igor7111.)
25-02-2013 04:33 PM
FiatLux Offline

(19-02-2013 11:39 AM)Timo Wrote:  On a side note, we have just released the DLC "The Bulgarian Colossus" (previously a retail preorder exclusive) for free to all owners of the game on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/215373/

This free DLC ("The Bulgarian Colossus") has also been released, via game update, to those that bought the game at GOG : http://www.gog.com/gamecard/omerta_city_of_gangsters

Fiat Lux
28-02-2013 10:52 AM
WCC5723 Offline

Awesome!! I can't get enough of Omerta and with these new updates heading our way we are going to see some great new elements that are going to be great especially "Enemy gangs for Sandbox Mode – you’ll now have to fend of gangs that invade your turf and try to steal businesses out from under you" That is going to be crazy. Thanks for listening to the community and can't wait for the updates to land.
01-03-2013 02:07 PM
BruThoL Offline

Would you please tell us approximately when this revision will be pushed to production?
03-03-2013 09:10 AM
ferth Offline

Looks like were steering towards a decent game. I hope the AI for rival gangs in sandbox mode can be worked out properly in just 4-8 weeks. Last thing I want is to be promised everything that I was hoping for in the original release to fall flat in the update.

Quote:I'm playing Gangsters 1 right now. Fantastic game. Those who haven't tried it should give it a go. It has everything that SHOULD have been in Omerta. An Omerta "atmosphere with a Gansters 1
game play would have been an all time great.

That's what I was really hoping this game was. Let's hope were on our way there though.[/quote]
09-03-2013 05:35 PM
PegasusOrgans Offline

Thank you!!! I was so excited for this game that the lack of some of these features was really a blow! I hope Omerta can become a long running franchise with you guys giving the players the extra elements we all want/need. You are filling a void and I look forward to any news forthcoming in regards to new features.
11-03-2013 07:33 AM
Tropi'je Offline
Epic Member

that is a great list of additions..
12-03-2013 12:10 AM
Timo Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

Not to spoil anything but we're also working on adding a car mechanic for quick travelling on the strategic map. Overall the development of the free content update is coming along nicely and I'm excited for its release.

12-03-2013 12:42 PM
BodyBag Offline

(12-03-2013 12:42 PM)Timo Wrote:  Not to spoil anything but we're also working on adding a car mechanic for quick travelling on the strategic map. Overall the development of the free content update is coming along nicely and I'm excited for its release.

Sounds good.

Always thought it looked ridiculous with gangsters running to every assignment.

Use some of the cute little cars that are in the game. Sadly, most of the map are just window-dressing with no real purpose...
12-03-2013 12:58 PM
igor7111 Offline

Very much looking forward to this. Sounds very good.
You've got the basis for a GREAT game here, I hope
you don't give up on it.

(12-03-2013 12:42 PM)Timo Wrote:  Not to spoil anything but we're also working on adding a car mechanic for quick travelling on the strategic map. Overall the development of the free content update is coming along nicely and I'm excited for its release.
18-03-2013 02:41 PM
ici540 Offline

When can we expect some updates on multiplayer mode .. (new maps, lift perks limit, rank ladder, statistic win/loose) and very important - quit should be tolerated as a forfeit which needs to reflect on rank as that. Everyone is tired of players quiting and you dont get any points for its just ruining the game Sad
21-03-2013 09:24 PM
Mad Frankie Frasier Offline

UPDATE please Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinTongue
03-04-2013 01:32 PM