The Eurogamer Review Is Scandalous
I have been enjoying the game since it was released in the UK on Friday.

In the past, too many stealth games relied on the player memorising a set route for success and simply reloading the previous save until you knew in advance where every enemy was going to be.

It's nice to play a game where you aren't restricted to trial and error until you stumble accross that perfect path.

So far I'm enjoying the variation of approaches and adapting and overcoming when I put a foot wrong.

Now I know that Realmforge isn't the biggest Developing Studio in the world and Kalypso isn't the biggest Publishing House in gaming either.

I wasn't expecting an "AAA" title that would raise the bar of stealth play to lofty heights but it certainly looked to be an interesting game.

I was actually pleasantly surprised that the game not looks pretty good but is fun to play as well.

So I was disgusted to see "Dark" getting what I believe to be an unfair review from Eurogamer who had the cheek to score "Dark" with a 3/10.

"Dark" is way better than that.

The visual style is consistent and the attention to detail is right up there with "Deadpool". The environments are as well rendered as the characters they house.

Gameplay wise this is an old school stealth game that does exactly what it says on the tin and I've already mentioned above how it's refreshing to play a game that doesn't just "boast" multiple paths but allows for a variety of different approaches.

The A.I. are diverse in their approaches with different characters acting in their own unique style. Some are lazy and just hang about. Others are more vigilant. Whatever their 'patrol paths' these all change if you alarm them and they abandon these paths to search for you.

I love how you can't simply hide in a very dark secretive place because some A.I. will refuse to go in there.

I love how if you spend too much time breathing down someone's neck they sense they're not alone and become alarmed.

It's a shame that a decent game company who made a decent effort on a decent game should get such unfair criticism from a site that's supposed to be there for gamers.

Thank you for making this game.

Az
thanks very much for your support and great to hear that you do like the game!
I also like DARK a lot Smile
Hhmmm... Seems as opinions on this game is rather divided...
Far from all users at Metacritic.com is happy about the game either : http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dark
Anyway , Eurogamer Germany is not the only one on Metacritic.com either where the game does not score that good (mixed , game score 50) , Hardcore Gamer Magazine gives same amount of points and Gameblog.fr is also negative (negative , game score 30) .
Now I can only comment from an XBox 360 perspective and on the XBox 360 this game is pretty good.

Now there are studios out there with massive budgets backed by massive publishers who are creating what we'd call "AAA Games". Your flagship titles like "Halo", "Skyrim", "Gears of War", "Uncharted".

To say that "Dark" is not in the same league as these games is a fair comment.

What's not fair is some of the sites giving the game ridiculously unqualified low scores like 1/10 from Game Informer and 3/10 from Eurogamer.

Larger Publishers will and historically HAVE threatened to pull their advertising if they don't get better reviews.

This is a smaller developer and a smaller publisher who have delivered a game that is punching way above it's weight class.

These harsh reviews are unprofessional and an insult to the people who produced the game in the first place.

Don't let someone else make your mind up for you.

Check it out.

Az
(10-07-2013, 04:35 PM)Azrael008uk Wrote: Now I can only comment from an XBox 360 perspective and on the XBox 360 this game is pretty good.

Now there are studios out there with massive budgets backed by massive publishers who are creating what we'd call "AAA Games". Your flagship titles like "Halo", "Skyrim", "Gears of War", "Uncharted".

To say that "Dark" is not in the same league as these games is a fair comment.

I don't know much about what constitutes an "AAA Game" as opposed to non-"AAA Games" . I do however have personal taste in PC games so I know what I like and what I don't like.

(10-07-2013, 04:35 PM)Azrael008uk Wrote: What's not fair is some of the sites giving the game ridiculously unqualified low scores like 1/10 from Game Informer and 3/10 from Eurogamer.

Larger Publishers will and historically HAVE threatened to pull their advertising if they don't get better reviews.

Well . if some publishers are "leaning" on sites and magazines to get "better reviews" then that of course is an unfair and dishonest way of behaving.
However I still don't think that that fully accounts for the low scores of the Dark game....

(10-07-2013, 04:35 PM)Azrael008uk Wrote: This is a smaller developer and a smaller publisher who have delivered a game that is punching way above it's weight class.

These harsh reviews are unprofessional and an insult to the people who produced the game in the first place.

Don't let someone else make your mind up for you.

Check it out.

Az

First up I would like to say that I have read that one in the Dark game is playing as a sort of Vampiric entity, if that is so then then I personally think that that sounds a bit "twisted" (I am aware of the popularity of Vampires in modern pop culture).
Anyway , as I expressed in the thread "Demo? " then I think that there either ought to be a demo or that Kalypso Media Digital otherwise ought to make some "play for free" time on Steam to, what you perhaps would describe as, help make the audience make up their own mind.....
Review are mixed, but on a close look, you can see why:

-Most part of the game are buggy, even worse actually some player cannot play at all. This reduce drastically the review.

-The graphics is good and the theme charismatic, but player feel too much restrained and this is a negative point for some people.

-RPG element are present, but when you go down for power application, choice are limited by the game restriction, only stealth can be boring, there are other role to play as a vampire that can be fascinating.

The game got a strong concept, but the final result can be more effective, otherwise will seem a unfinisced product.
(11-07-2013, 12:57 PM)Dark Bug Wrote: -Most part of the game are buggy, even worse actually some player cannot play at all. This reduce drastically the review.

Can you let us know which parts of the game are buggy? The bug reports thread we have set up here currently has no replies whatsoever and there are a number of solutions to the startup problem which fixed the issue for the people experiencing it.
(11-07-2013, 01:36 PM)Timo Wrote: Can you let us know which parts of the game are buggy? The bug reports thread we have set up here currently has no replies whatsoever and there are a number of solutions to the startup problem which fixed the issue for the people experiencing it.

Man i've even posted here: the main bug is preventing me to play. No solution, even using the new patch.
What solution are you talking about?
If you read my post i got only one suggestion: update the audio driver and clean up space of one disk... not a solution, that's certain.

Other issue i refer are those listed from metacritic linked by FiatLux.
They talk about bug of various thing that decrease the game playability.
So far 40 negative and 17 mixed describe the point.

Hope i can play soon.
(11-07-2013, 06:51 PM)Dark Bug Wrote:
(11-07-2013, 01:36 PM)Timo Wrote: Can you let us know which parts of the game are buggy? The bug reports thread we have set up here currently has no replies whatsoever and there are a number of solutions to the startup problem which fixed the issue for the people experiencing it.

Man i've even posted here: the main bug is preventing me to play. No solution, even using the new patch.
What solution are you talking about?
If you read my post i got only one suggestion: update the audio driver and clean up space of one disk... not a solution, that's certain.

Other issue i refer are those listed from metacritic linked by FiatLux.
They talk about bug of various thing that decrease the game playability.
So far 40 negative and 17 mixed describe the point.

Hope i can play soon.

We have just released a small Update:

* Failure to switch to fullscreen during startup with fall back to
windowed mode instead
* Grenade explosions were missing a sound effect
* Log file & error reporting improvements

Please try again and if you still are unable to play, send us the crash log to support@kalypsomedia.com please.

log.txt can be found here:

1. Click Windows Start Button.
2. Choose "Run" (XP)/Highlight "Search" (Vista/7).
3. Enter %appdata% hit Enter.
4. Locate the folder Kalypso Media -> DARK.

Thanks for your help.
Done, but...

i cannot, because the system stop, no activity is recorded or logged event in the system registry monitor or game folder.
I've tryed to use a record program like FRAPS but it stop also.

I'm annoyed and i dont' really like to crash and restart my system again and again to get no result at all. I'm not payed for this.
I will post again when you propose to your customer a patch, to give you a feedback, meanwhile i do other thing.
Your PC can handle the Game? (You won't believe how often that this basic question is answerd with no).
So, CPU, grapic card and ram are strong and big enoug?
You try to play it on a Notebook or on an DesktopPC. (Some games don't like Notebooks).
All Drivers (ok, not all but at last the driver for your graphic card) are not old.

In the technical Problems thread you should post your DXlog.
Just type DXdiag in the searchbar of windows. And post the Log in ["code"]["/code"]-Tags
Remove the "

You have a Firewall active? Its possible, that the firewall is asking you something but you can't see it because dark is fullscreen. May happen to with the UAC of windows but mostly with UAC style components of firewalls or antivirus software. Most of the time it is impossible to see the taskmanager then too.
Sometimes it help to bring the PC into sleepmode then (if you have such a button on your keyboard). And after waking up you will see, that the firewall or whatever is active. Sometimes it locks up the whole PC, sometimes an other programm is locking the PC preventing you from switching even to sleepmode.

Dark is in its standard folder. These folders got some special restrictions from windows. Some old games have trouble when installed in these folders. But sometimes on a single computer new games bugging because of this too.

You got an multi monitor system?
(13-07-2013, 03:52 PM)sauer Wrote: ...

Tnx ofr the help sauer, but all the point you mentioned are already taken into account.
The tech thread already got the DxDiag and other specification.

There is only one thing i can do: get a patch that fix the issue.
And also: as a customer i'm not the one who must fix the game.
Metacritic now talk about less than 50% of score, i cannot say they are wrong, can i?

Still' Hope i can play soon Sad
(13-07-2013, 12:32 PM)Dark Bug Wrote: Done, but...

i cannot, because the system stop, no activity is recorded or logged event in the system registry monitor or game folder.
I've tryed to use a record program like FRAPS but it stop also.

I'm annoyed and i dont' really like to crash and restart my system again and again to get no result at all. I'm not payed for this.
I will post again when you propose to your customer a patch, to give you a feedback, meanwhile i do other thing.

As far as I know then this were originally not a bug thread though it is turning into one , at least a "Dark Bug" one Wink .
Anyway , whenever one have a problem with a Steam game then the first thing that one must do is to go through the Steam troubles shooting suggestion to make sure that one is not facing a more basic problem ....
All this is taking time that one does not want to spend on it and it is annoying to have to do it - especially if it doesn't help - but it is standard trouble shooting procedure.
I leave these link for you if you want to use time checking standard trouble shooting means :

Windows 7 and Vista Troubleshooting - General Troubleshooting - Knowledge Base - Steam Support
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_arti...-IFHZ-2170

Programs Which May Interfere with Steam - General Troubleshooting - Knowledge Base - Steam Support
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_arti...-SFLZ-9289
(13-07-2013, 12:32 PM)Dark Bug Wrote: i cannot, because the system stop, no activity is recorded or logged event in the system registry monitor or game folder.

If there is no log file in the game folder, you are likely running an outdated version and Steam has not updated your version of the game. Make sure your machine is connected to the internet and you have automatic updates enabled. Updated versions of the game create a log file regardless of your machine crashing or freezing (that's the point of the log file to begin with).
I confirm you: no log after crash.
How many time i must ruin my system before you give me a patch?

http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=16231
(15-07-2013, 12:48 PM)Dark Bug Wrote: I confirm you: no log after crash.

Please do the following: Launch the game and write down the build version displayed in the bottom right corner of the Kalypso Launcher, then post it here. If there is no log created by the game, you are most likely running an unpatched version.

Quote:How many time i must ruin my system before you give me a patch?

See above: The problem is that you do not have the patch to begin with.
Yea, i was reading a bunch of reviews and thought some people were a bit harsh..

giving really low scores cause it is not there style game, vrs the game being bad.. Like for me, Oblivion, I wanted to like the game, but after 5 years to this day i may have 10 hours played. A game that i played that much to me would be a 3.. But the game is hardly a 3.. it is just not for me.

I read lots of the lower end rating, and almost all had the exact same issue.. It had something to do with not being able to fight back, and dying quick after being spotted.

To me, that is exactly what should be going on. If you want a fighting game, play one,, But to me a stealth game is all about that. Now i can understand the people that want the combo.. Stealth plus being deadly, But Just because it is not that, shouldn't mean the game is awful. It is just not for you.

I really wish people would start giving more reasonable reviews all around, vrs,, I don't like the game so it is a 0.. It helps no one make a good decision.
(20-07-2013, 12:41 PM)Tropije Wrote: Yea, i was reading a bunch of reviews and thought some people were a bit harsh..

giving really low scores cause it is not there style game, vrs the game being bad.. Like for me, Oblivion, I wanted to like the game, but after 5 years to this day i may have 10 hours played. A game that i played that much to me would be a 3.. But the game is hardly a 3.. it is just not for me.

I read lots of the lower end rating, and almost all had the exact same issue.. It had something to do with not being able to fight back, and dying quick after being spotted.

To me, that is exactly what should be going on. If you want a fighting game, play one,, But to me a stealth game is all about that. Now i can understand the people that want the combo.. Stealth plus being deadly, But Just because it is not that, shouldn't mean the game is awful. It is just not for you.

I really wish people would start giving more reasonable reviews all around, vrs,, I don't like the game so it is a 0.. It helps no one make a good decision.

Well its called Assassins Creed 1,2,3. A game with no stealth and full action.

I finished Assassins creed by just going straight up action mode. The reviewers says Assassins creed is the best stealth game ever. They dont even know what stealth means.

Assassins creed = 0,01% stealth and 99,99% Action games.
The modern gaming society is retarded and all they only care about are good graphics.
(07-08-2013, 06:45 AM)Xatsuna Wrote: The modern gaming society is retarded and all they only care about are good graphics.

Yea.. I honestly don't get this one.. Sure eye candy can be nice.. But i never look at a game and say.. this game would be incredible if it only had better shaders.. Sure a 10+ year old game i might wish for a modern remake.. But add nothing other than perhaps some new modern functions, and update graphics, but that almost never happens.. devs go different ways. Even take tropico.. though similar they are vastly different games.. all fun in their own right, and all different..

On a side note.. Metacritic really is a mixed bag..

Go read the reviews.. then click on the person and see what else they reviewed.. Most of the time, a review with a bad rating is the first review by the person.. these people i almost never listen to, as they just seem like they have a bone to pick, and most likely with themselves, as to not making a informed choice about their purchase. Like when someone says, a game is not worth a dollar.. come on.. it is worth a dollar to play a few rounds of pac-man, or eat a burger from a fast food join that gives you a stomach-ache.. But a dollar is to much to ask for a game? come on..

If it is not that.. then it is the... 0/10.. any game they like they give it a 9 or 10, and any game they don't like they give it a 0.. these are also people i don't pay any attention to, cause all it says to me.. I don't like they game, so you shouldn't either... also, look to see what people down grade games.. one guy i saw that gave dark a zero.. also gave mass effect 3, diablo 3, and dragon age II, a zero.. Yea.. that is really informative, and shows me you are just trolling for misery, and really have zero clue what metric is for.. Or like the guy that gave Dark a 0, gave UFC a 10.. Do i really want to take advice form a guy that thinks UFC a console fighting game is a 10?? Tongue sure they can be fun, but hardly a game i would think of as a 10, no mater how incredible

For me i read the critic reviews, as they tend to be a little more objective, but even these days, many really are not. they get hung up on a little thing, or they try to make things into something they are not, or rate things down for it. They also review games in launch states, which any game improves with a few patches, so often what they are taking off for is fixed a few months later

For me i try to find things i like in a game, and focus on that.. If i find something i don't like i will say why, But even a game that has many things i don't like, i normally would not say a game is as bad as many do. It is just not for me.. But hardly would justify me saying something is a 2..

I also read the reviews in the middle, as these people tend to be a little more fair and objective about what they like and don't like about a game..

even not being able to play it is not enough for me.. most likely it is my system.. and the game not being compatible. For example, crusader kings II, and Europa Universalis IV.. Both games will not make any sound on my computer. I have spent a month trying to get it to work, but my sound card is not supported by the game. (not sure why it is a soundblaster X-fi PCI card, with drivers that have not been updated since 2009, which is the last set of drivers from creative) the PCI express version works though. I'm not gonna go say the game is a 5.. It's my system.. eventually i will upgrade and the game will work.. but in the mean time i play with no sound, or not at all.. and typically it is been the later..