So we know what is announced, but what does it all mean?
I got to thinking, with the new generational idea behind t5, what kind of changes are going to be in to what we think of as the core game.

The one thing i can see changed is rise to power... there has to be some major changes here.. especially considering half the choices did not even exist during the starting time frame.

things like CIA installed, for example.. It has me wondering what ways will this change?

what about government, How will this be effected, they talk about appointing people and family members to positions of power. Is it going to take on a crusader kings II style, where you have your heir that you can trust into position?

Or would you have some people in high positions that people can vote for..

This could lead to more styles of government, where the leader has stats or skills that effect your rule.. (and have a new take on the old rise to power) And let it deepen game play

In some ways that could really make the government side of the game play interesting.. Getting bonuses, or minuses by how you rule, and how your government shapes up over the many years

I know i'm being fairly vague, but it has me wondering just how much this new end of game play will be effecting the game
I hope they make a grander plot in T5 than T4, I only play T4 for the missions, I skip over sand box mode. already my 6th play through of the main campaign and 3rd on modern times
(17-08-2013, 01:01 PM)Tropije Wrote: I got to thinking, with the new generational idea behind t5, what kind of changes are going to be in to what we think of as the core game.
I know i'm being fairly vague, but it has me wondering just how much this new end of game play will be effecting the game.

It might involve just a soupçon of 19th century history. You know, "history" - knowledge of what actually went on in times past.

Maybe some other game has already covered it; maybe not. Learning history from computer games - an interesting concept.
I also wonder how the whole era concept will work for your towns. If it's simply like modern times... It would be kind of sad. I also wonder if you could maintain some part of your city with an older look. Something along the line of "old town".

There is really so much that could be done...
(17-08-2013, 05:15 PM)CoconutKid Wrote: Maybe some other game has already covered it; maybe not. Learning history from computer games - an interesting concept.

A lot of games i play you can learn things about history from them. in Age of empires, you learned stories of different events,, games like EUIII, and crusader kings II.. have lots of interesting things you can get into.. What nation states form, provinces that end up being sucked into new countries.. Or who ruled and when as they base much of it on historical rulers.

I wish there were more historically accurate games out there. It really does make learning fun! though to blend them well, is always the key..

(18-08-2013, 02:17 PM)Guidrion Wrote: I also wonder how the whole era concept will work for your towns. If it's simply like modern times... It would be kind of sad. I also wonder if you could maintain some part of your city with an older look. Something along the line of "old town".

There is really so much that could be done...

Yes.. this part i am really wondering about.. I really hope there is a way to upgrade old buildings, Or have to manually destory/rebuild..

It would be kind of sad if it just updated all on it's own. Give the player control for those that love to make interesting looking islands, or role playing the island to some extent.

Another thing i was wondering, if there is some sort of tech tree, perhaps gaining tech would be up to the player. Vrs the tech marching on time line thing.. I really did not like that feature in MT. Id much rather be in control of the tech.. If i wanted to keep my island stuck in the past, i really hope i can..
(17-08-2013, 01:01 PM)Tropije Wrote: The one thing i can see changed is rise to power... there has to be some major changes here.. especially considering half the choices did not even exist during the starting time frame.
I am not too concerned about that, after all you can choose yourself your own rise to power so you can ignore what you don't like.

(17-08-2013, 01:01 PM)Tropije Wrote: what about government, How will this be effected, they talk about appointing people and family members to positions of power. Is it going to take on a crusader kings II style, where you have your heir that you can trust into position?
Yes, that would be very interesting to know. It would be interesting if there would be a heir (for example like you said in Crusader Kings II) or if you would remain in power for hundreds of years (for example like in Colonization). Interesting would also be how you can influence friends and family. Will they behave like factions so depending on the way you rule they might react differently to you, even become enemies ? Will they be independently thinking characters (like in Crusader Kings II) or just your puppets (like the ministers/overseeers in the Caesar/Pharaoh series ?

(17-08-2013, 01:01 PM)Tropije Wrote: Or would you have some people in high positions that people can vote for..
Very interesting question. While I don't think people can vote for ministers etc (that should be your job) there can be some positions (chief of union, chief of police, mayor of town) which could be open for elections. And if you can ignore the votes and install your pals anyway against the will of the people. That would raise the question if you can appoint someone who is not your pal (like a faction leader) in order to please the faction or some people.

(17-08-2013, 01:01 PM)Guidrion Wrote: I also wonder how the whole era concept will work for your towns. If it's simply like modern times... It would be kind of sad. I also wonder if you could maintain some part of your city with an older look. Something along the line of "old town".
Good point, lets hope you can deselect eras you don't like at game start so if you want you could do a game solely in the same era (like a colony all the time) and another game where the time flows and everything changes over the years or even one where you start very late in the modern times already.
It would be nice if you could choose a building type, and then choose the building function. Highly unlikely to happen, but one can dream. That way we could build a city looking like what we would like it to. New eras would remove building types and add new ones. Naturally, some restrictions would be imposed - ie. building a shanty and defining it as your College, although it might be considered humourous by some.
(02-09-2013, 02:04 PM)Tablemat Wrote: It would be nice if you could choose a building type, and then choose the building function. Highly unlikely to happen, but one can dream. That way we could build a city looking like what we would like it to. New eras would remove building types and add new ones. Naturally, some restrictions would be imposed - ie. building a shanty and defining it as your College, although it might be considered humourous by some.
haha top class education right there

I can see the possibilities with such a system
hopefully t5 wont be buggy like simcity
(02-09-2013, 03:36 PM)Togfan Wrote:
(02-09-2013, 02:04 PM)Tablemat Wrote: It would be nice if you could choose a building type, and then choose the building function. Highly unlikely to happen, but one can dream. That way we could build a city looking like what we would like it to. New eras would remove building types and add new ones. Naturally, some restrictions would be imposed - ie. building a shanty and defining it as your College, although it might be considered humourous by some.
haha top class education right there

I can see the possibilities with such a system

Yes.. that would really add a ton to the Island builders that build purely for style..

Build your shanty island, or your covert military that lives in skyscrapers..

That would defiantly take some major engine design change i would think. And lead to problems i think with function differences, like for example buildings with garages attached. Make factories into apartments? Every apartment with a garage!!.

But how about this instead of the ability to choose ANY building skin, They give us a limited option to choose from. To me this would be a ton easier to do, as you would basically just be attaching skins to building function, really exactly how they give us a few options to choose from now on some buildings.

To take it a step further, What if Quality, and cost changed with the different buildings?

Normal clinic cost 4000, and give a 50 rating..

Poverty clinics in a shanty, the cost drops to 2000, but the rating drops to 30.

the private clinic.. Uses "House" Drops the number of slots by 1/3 increases quality to 60, and costs 5000.

the high end retreat, Uses a mansion, (think high rich folk only private hospitals.) Number or patients at -2/3's Rating 90, cost 10k.

this would be a very big change to the way the game could be played, and most likely need some major balancing, But it really could make for some interesting game play, and give island builders some real customization.. This way would also need a lot of time to implement and also game balancing/testing..

A even easier idea could be a limited number of edicts.. (think secret police)

Say you want to make a building into a clinic, You click on a new tab of edicts, and pick the option you want.. Be it clinic, bank, house, restaurant or what have you.. Use the edict for a cost to convert a building into another, with certain restrictions on each...

the cost of the edict could be dependent on the building.. and each building have it's own list of buildings that you can convert too.

I could see a police station inside of a fisherman's wharf for example
its not bad idea but players will confuse buildings with each other
(13-09-2013, 09:25 PM)Hayro252 Wrote: its not bad idea but players will confuse buildings with each other

I was thinking about that.. which lead me to a check box Option, that could flag the building type..

If you played Omerta, they use the exact same thing. Many buildings look exactly a like, But what sets them apart is a little sign above the building with a symbol. that way you can very easily see what the building function is..

I say a check box option, because turning it off for screenies for island builders would be important
floating sings?
Thats one of my worst nigtmares in tropico o_O
(16-09-2013, 02:28 AM)Hayro252 Wrote: floating sings?
Thats one of my worst nigtmares in tropico o_O

that is why i said, make it an option.. flagging that on and off would be a very simple script..

Either you have the ability to use the same building for multiple tasks, and get confusion, or you label it some how.. A sign,, (just like the mission signs now) are the easiest way to do that..

Added GUI options is always a plus, i would like to see many things able to leave flagged above tropicans heads.. as long as i can turn them on/off..

things like how much pollution a building is making, or job quality, or the quality of the business.. A simple Bar with say 4 pieces of info could go a long way into making things a lot easier verse clicking on the building every time.

Those that want the data, turn it on, those that don't turn it off..

Personally i think they should change the missions system though.. perhaps a simple ! icon on the GUI, with a number telling how many missions are available, and then use the almanac to get the info for the quest, and except, or decline it..
i think i will stick with current building system
(16-09-2013, 02:39 PM)Hayro252 Wrote: i think i will stick with current building system

well i'm not really suggesting they drastically change things, but i do think more build options, reusing art, is not a bad way to make things a bit more diverse.
well i want diverse buildings too like shady hospital but if we going to have shady hospital i want that to look like a shady hospital not like some other shady building
You got that?
I'm guessing you mean "shanty" though, I wouldn't mind seeing a "shady" clinic.. perhaps they have a setting of drugs with out a prescription! Increase happiness but some people die.. (Think of it as an earlier version of happy powder setting on water treatment)

But yes, with the game starting in the 19th century, i would have to think that there will be some earlier version of many buildings, and clinic i would think was one. I would have to think this would go with a more rustic, rural styling.. even a medicine hut would be an interesting building.

another thing, with proper modding support, we could do things like i am talking about.. We can already do major adjustments, such as cost, build time, and radial effects through the scripting. even locking them out all together. More power to this tool, could let us change entire functions.. So moders could do some really cool things..
i hope we will get steam workshop support...
Hi,
I want to play through T5 before I go to T6. I have not played for a while then picked it up again with T5 I love it but I have been playing Modern Times for a long time and there is no end. How do i win? I have a huge city every building there is and everything. I am making money, and my people are happy. Now what?
I would appreciate a clue.

Thanks
[Image: https://ci.memecdn.com/4540590.jpg]

Hi welthbilder,
as this thread is pretty old, it would make sense to create a new thread regarding your topic.
So please feel free to do so, while I will close this one.

cheers

Unerde