Tropico 5 Map & Challenge Editor
I know that I cannot create maps with my mac version of the game, because the editor is only Windows based. I would like to find out for sure whether or not I am able to use a map from steam (which was created with the Windows based editor) with my mac version of the game.
Yes you can. I would like to have that map editor on the Mac, though. :-(
I met Lulu Marie once, at the Tropico Cafe. Reggie's a twat!
I spent a while playng around with the map of an island, then clicked on Save & Test, then had to exit the game for a while.
But what has happened to the Save? I called the "mission" PlayTime, which appears nowhere, and if I click back to Edit Mission I'm back to its starting state, all my additions having vanished.
Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: I've found it, after doing another save. BUT I can only play on the amended island under the Mission Editor, and when I save my progress disappears except for those items which are available when setting up the changes. So I get roads going nowhere into unexplored areas. After clicking "exit and play" there is no "save" option for me except by going back to Mission Editor.
Bump.
No replies to my post above.
Have sent e-mail to Kalypso, nine days ago, stating this problem - which to me is serious. Got what is clearly an automated response acknowledging receipt: since then, nothing.
Please, somebody help me ! Please . . .
Hi Bushface.
I am sorry to hear you having problems with the game.
Be aware that our support is always busy getting back to each and every single ticket to all games within our portfolio.
So sometimes it might need a little longer.
Nevertheless could you share the ticket-number and I will have a look into this.

cheers

Unerde
I received acknowledgement on April 3rd of my e-mail to "support", quoting ticket 2016040310000091. Since then, nothing. Things have got worse: enter Mission Editor, set up the conditions I want, click on "confirm settings" - and it keeps loopong back to "confirm settings". So I can do absolutely nothing with the Mission Editor. It is specifically for the Map Editor that I bought the Steam version of this game (to which I am strongly addicted) as well as the boxed version which I already had: the latter has given me very many hours of amusement.
Based on my experience of "support" (not the inverted commas) I doubt that there is any point whatever in reporting this latest defect to Kalypso
Still no answer. Come on, somebody: I need help!
Hi Bushface.
Are you still having the problem described in your ticket?

If so feel free to contact me via PM and we will see how we get further.

cheers

Unerde
I've tried to create a map but when I play the test version, all the specs (Era, Money, etc) revert to the default setting (Colonial, $5000).
How do I get the Editor to accept my inputs.  I'm in Offline mode if that matters.
One thing I just noticed is the Steam Submission form in the screenshots, is different than the one I have in my Steam version of this game. I cannot seem to get volcanoes to work, or rain. In my submission form, there is no spot for the camera, atmosphere and particle settings. That may be why my editor made maps volcanoes and scattered animals are not working.

Are those screenshots from the steam version of this game? Why has the editor submission form changed to where I cannot set those items? I would love to set the starting camera angle atmosphere and particle effects. I have a service ticket into their support office as well as a couple threads asking why volcanoes are not working in editor made maps...well I just saw why, they removed it from this version Steam editor I have for this game. Here I am digging into LUA files to try and figure it out...thanks.

Why?

EDIT// I also see the Actor button on the sequence tab on the screenshot...that would be good for missions where we want Lord Oaksworth or whoever, to do a voice-over telling the player to build or trade...the ones that are built-in the game. I would think everyone would like to build proper scenario's inside the editor.
Back into this after a while on other things, I still have serious problems.

1. How do I access the Sequence Editor? I cannot find it. And must there actually be a sequence?

2. In the Challenge Properties panel, some items need to be filled in. The title is easy enough, but there's only room for a few characters in the description panel and what on earth is meant by "image path" and "image preview"?

Without being able to complete entering this information, I cannot upload my extremely easy challenge, and without uploading it I cannot do what I bought the Steam version for, which is to amuse myself building an attractively developed coverage of a big, big island with a very large amount of resources.

Furthermore, I cannot delete anything except trees and fishing resources. A building once placed, therefore, is a permanent fixture. So I cannot move the Palace, and if I extend the land to cover a marine oil deposit that deposit sits there uselessly in the middle of good agricultural land.

Again, HELP !
(30-07-2016, 05:59 AM)Bushface Wrote: Back into this after a while on other things, I still have serious problems.

1. How do I access the Sequence Editor? I cannot find it. And must there actually be a sequence?

2. In the Challenge Properties panel, some items need to be filled in. The title is easy enough, but there's only room for a few characters in the description panel and what on earth is meant by "image path" and "image preview"?

Without being able to complete entering this information, I cannot upload my extremely easy challenge, and without uploading it I cannot do what I bought the Steam version for, which is to amuse myself building an attractively developed coverage of a big, big island with a very large amount of resources.

Furthermore, I cannot delete anything except trees and fishing resources. A building once placed, therefore, is a permanent fixture. So I cannot move the Palace, and if I extend the land to cover a marine oil deposit that deposit sits there uselessly in the middle of good agricultural land.

Again, HELP !

Hi Bushface, the sequence editor is a top tab next to the special buildings tab. To remove any building, use the Demolish tab in either of the build menu's, that being the special buildings tab up top...or right clicking and using that build menu. To move the Palace...simply delete it, then inside the special buildings menu, the Palace will be highlighted so you can place it again in a new location. 

For the image in the editor...hit the F12 key on your keyboard, that will take a Steam screenshot of that game, you can take screenshots of all games and Steam will keep them in different folders and can be accessed from your game's menu. Well take a screenshot of your map, then in the Steam submission form, there is a button tab next to the screenshot location. Click that tab and it will open that screenshot folder Steam makes for this game...find your screenshot you want and load it to the submission form, it will do the rest and it should show you a small image of your picture for the map.

If you extend the landmass, all you need do is delete those fish and marine oil deposits, then in the special buildings tab there are three more tabs, I think the middle tab is for placing all the resources, fish and land and sea oil deposits. Also on that third tab is the agriculture Boosters.

Hope this helps...

Edit// often when I take my map's screenshots, I will hit the escape key then pause the map real fast...hit F12, then escape out of the editor and back to the main menu. Then I go back into the map in the editor and then edit the submission form. That way my screenshot shows the map's mini-map on the lower left hand of the image, plus it won't have the editor tabs showing that way.
Thanks, Lowell.

Yes, I can now delete things - whoopee! But only by luck did I find that the Demolish button on the Buildings panel applies to resources, which are on a different panel.

Haven't yet tried a screenshot, and still don't know whether or not a sequence is mandatory.
(17-07-2016, 09:53 PM)Lowell Wrote: One thing I just noticed is the Steam Submission form in the screenshots, is different than the one I have in my Steam version of this game. I cannot seem to get volcanoes to work, or rain. In my submission form, there is no spot for the camera, atmosphere and particle settings. That may be why my editor made maps volcanoes and scattered animals are not working.

Are those screenshots from the steam version of this game? Why has the editor submission form changed to where I cannot set those items? I would love to set the starting camera angle atmosphere and particle effects. I have a service ticket into their support office as well as a couple threads asking why volcanoes are not working in editor made maps...well I just saw why, they removed it from this version Steam editor I have for this game. Here I am digging into LUA files to try and figure it out...thanks.

Why?

EDIT// I also see the Actor button on the sequence tab on the screenshot...that would be good for missions where we want Lord Oaksworth or whoever, to do a voice-over telling the player to build or trade...the ones that are built-in the game. I would think everyone would like to build proper scenario's inside the editor.

Hi Lowell

The options are there but normally not accessible to players (only devs)
I found a bug which allows partial access to these tools (See http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=28504 for the steps)
It allows access to many other menus and options but be aware that many of them don't work properly for us

Included are all the sequences for the games scenarios and also access to many other lists

I put together a list of those normally not accessible to us, including those that allow the ability to manipulate particles, weather and camera settings, but I couldnt get them to work properly as the camera would usually hang or get stuck after they were executed and weather effects seemed permanent. The file is below
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlcze7lwjd7k3n...t.hpk?dl=0

Paste it into C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Tropico 5\Challenges to access it

I was even able to add extra characters into the mission using this editor (But be aware that adding portraits will only affect your local game and not those of others), so I could only add new names

If you browse through the missions and find any sequences you think are interesting, you need to 'copy' them, exit their scenario. Go into your scenario and then paste (You can only do it one line at a time)

I also found some other hidden 'varibles' which do not need access to this editor
c_Mandate - Colonial mandate register- Just add or minus numbers from it to add/minus months from
c_Independence - trigger for colonial independance granted

For the following 2, I couldn't really work out how to use them properly (If you ever work it out, Id like to hear about it)
c_RevolutionariesChange
c_RevolutionariesWeightChange

I never experimented with volcanoes so unfortunately I can't help you there

If you want to check out the scenario I made, its here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=626770827

I also had a discussion with some other budding modders a while back which have some helpful tips
See
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filed...686545768/

If you ever make any groundbreaking discoveries, I would really love to hear about them, please post them on the steam discussion forum above so everyone can get quick access to them
(01-08-2016, 09:20 AM)mwyeoh Wrote: Hi Lowell

The options are there but normally not accessible to players (only devs)
I found a bug which allows partial access to these tools (See http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=28504 for the steps)
It allows access to many other menus and options but be aware that many of them don't work properly for us

Included are all the sequences for the games scenarios and also access to many other lists

I put together a list of those normally not accessible to us, including those that allow the ability to manipulate particles, weather and camera settings, but I couldnt get them to work properly as the camera would usually hang or get stuck after they were executed and weather effects seemed permanent. The file is below
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlcze7lwjd7k3n...t.hpk?dl=0

Paste it into C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Tropico 5\Challenges to access it

I was even able to add extra characters into the mission using this editor (But be aware that adding portraits will only affect your local game and not those of others), so I could only add new names

If you browse through the missions and find any sequences you think are interesting, you need to 'copy' them, exit their scenario. Go into your scenario and then paste (You can only do it one line at a time)

I also found some other hidden 'varibles' which do not need access to this editor
c_Mandate - Colonial mandate register- Just add or minus numbers from it to add/minus months from
c_Independence - trigger for colonial independance granted

For the following 2, I couldn't really work out how to use them properly (If you ever work it out, Id like to hear about it)
c_RevolutionariesChange
c_RevolutionariesWeightChange

I never experimented with volcanoes so unfortunately I can't help you there

If you want to check out the scenario I made, its here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=626770827

I also had a discussion with some other budding modders a while back which have some helpful tips
See
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filed...686545768/

If you ever make any groundbreaking discoveries, I would really love to hear about them, please post them on the steam discussion forum above so everyone can get quick access to them
Sweet! Thanks.
This is what I have been looking for. Yeah I have several threads posted asking about the particles for volcanoes, waves, sounds scattered animals...no answer. I emailed tech-support asked them if they would add some of that back. Even just a partial set of the rocks would be fine. I will start digging through all this.
Thanks again mwyeoh
Alas, I'm still in trouble. All I now need to do is to find out how to set challenges that will give points. All sorts of other tasks can be set up (apparently: I haven't tried, because I don't want them) but not points-givers.
I have the map set up; I can find the screenshot, lurking deep within many folders and originally named not as I wanted but with a long number; I can upload, and have; the winning post is set at a modest 3 points; no challenges appear, so the game can never be won. The only reason for wanting points is for me to see how many I can accumulate in the various playthroughs I hope to make, competing with myself.
Somebody must surely know how to do this, so please will they help a poor old man?
(01-08-2016, 10:20 PM)Bushface Wrote: Alas, I'm still in trouble. All I now need to do is to find out how to set challenges that will give points. All sorts of other tasks can be set up (apparently: I haven't tried, because I don't want them) but not points-givers.
I have the map set up; I can find the screenshot, lurking deep within many folders and originally named not as I wanted but with a long number; I can upload, and have; the winning post is set at a modest 3 points; no challenges appear, so the game can never be won. The only reason for wanting points is for me to see how many I can accumulate in the various playthroughs I hope to make, competing with myself.
Somebody must surely know how to do this, so please will they help a poor old man?

Hi Bushface
Firstly, you would need to just make a variable to record 'points'
You would then need to set up the sequences so that on completion it increases the value of that variable by 1 every time
You would need another sequence to wait for the predetermined number of points and once achieved run the win condition. If this is set up as a task, you can even have it displaying on the screen
Remember if you want sequences to start automatically from the beginning, you have to set it to auto-start
(01-08-2016, 06:16 PM)Lowell Wrote: Sweet! Thanks.
This is what I have been looking for. Yeah I have several threads posted asking about the particles for volcanoes, waves, sounds scattered animals...no answer. I emailed tech-support asked them if they would add some of that back. Even just a partial set of the rocks would be fine. I will start digging through all this.
Thanks again mwyeoh

Hi Lowell

Unfortunately there were no rock formations in the 'extended editor' (Atleast that I found)
Let me know how you go
(02-08-2016, 02:37 AM)mwyeoh Wrote: Hi Bushface
Firstly, you would need to just make a variable to record 'points'
You would then need to set up the sequences so that on completion it increases the value of that variable by 1 every time
You would need another sequence to wait for the predetermined number of points and once achieved run the win condition. If this is set up as a task, you can even have it displaying on the screen
Remember if you want sequences to start automatically from the beginning, you have to set it to auto-start
How do I create a variable? How can I make a sequence that brings up tasks in groups of 3, which can be completed in any order - as in the base game - then repeat but with different tasks? Must I set up enough groups to give a possible 200+ points? Can the tasks in a group be picked at random from a list?
"Save and test" mode ignores the preset starting conditions and the map orientation I have used, and I see no "cheat" buttons whatsoever. So if I change the winning condition to $50 million, I can't whack loads of cash into the treasury to test that this is possible, and with only $4000 starting money in the Colonial era to get into the millions would take a very long time; that is what I want in the game, but definitely not while testing.
Hi Bushface

It seems that you're just starting out with Modding
Theres a guide on steam which covers the very basics of modding
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=489936325

Also there are 'cheat' codes on test mode. Go to the palace. It appears as a new menu on the bottom
(04-08-2016, 07:58 AM)mwyeoh Wrote: Hi Bushface

It seems that you're just starting out with Modding
Theres a guide on steam which covers the very basics of modding
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=489936325

Also there are 'cheat' codes on test mode. Go to the palace. It appears as a new menu on the bottom
Yes, I'm just starting to try making a mission in T5. Fiddling with the map is easy, but oh boy am I having trouble with the Sequence Editor. The guide is pretty good, but still leaves me with a stack of questions.

As I've said, I'd like to set up a game which can be won by getting just 3 points and then play on, getting more "challenges" in groups of 3 as in the basic game. I cannot see anywhere how to complete these challenges other than in a preset order, nor how to pick a set at random, nor how to display progress.. This I could do easily if I were to be writing a program from scratch, but I'm not, and must follow the Editor's syntax. If only I could ...

Cheat codes? Go to the Palace? I've tried that,using all possible click combinations, and get nothing: no new menu, no buttons, nothing.
(04-08-2016, 08:40 PM)Bushface Wrote: Yes, I'm just starting to try making a mission in T5. Fiddling with the map is easy, but oh boy am I having trouble with the Sequence Editor. The guide is pretty good, but still leaves me with a stack of questions.

As I've said, I'd like to set up a game which can be won by getting just 3 points and then play on, getting more "challenges" in groups of 3 as in the basic game. I cannot see anywhere how to complete these challenges other than in a preset order, nor how to pick a set at random, nor how to display progress.. This I could do easily if I were to be writing a program from scratch, but I'm not, and must follow the Editor's syntax. If only I could ...

Cheat codes? Go to the Palace? I've tried that,using all possible click combinations, and get nothing: no new menu, no buttons, nothing.

To complete a task, apart from the preset orders within the task, theres also the Tasks/Complete Task option which will allow you to manually set a task to complete/failed/abandoned/expired/outdated/skipped

To set the game to display random tasks, you will need to create a sequence for each one and ensure they have the same prefix then in another sequence, use the Effects/"Run Random Sequence" option

To show progress for a task, the easiest way is when you create that task, ensure it is an "In-view Task" (There are other ways of doing this, but this is the easiest way

The cheats list is only available from "Save & Test" while in the editor (It is not available from missions downloaded via the workshop)
No need for any click combinations. You just need to left-click once to select it
Just click on the palace. The default menus are Basic, Dynasty, Workers, Effectiveness, Upgrades, Description... but under that is a new option called "cheats"
Thanks, mwyeoh.

When I clicked on the Palace, I was expecting a set of cheat buttons to appear, not just an extra button beside the Palace panel - and that does not always appear; it's missing more than half the time. Then when it does show there are other buttons: one is "get resources", which adds $100,000 to the treasury, which is a meaning for "resources" quite different from that generally used in the game.

But alas I am still totally lost in the syntax of the Sequence Editor. What, for example, is the prefix you mention? There are at least 40 possible tasks during the Colonial era, so apparently I need to set up a sequence for each of these, and how can I prevent some of these from being selected again after being completed? Do I need a separate set for each era? And as before, how would I get these tasks to be selected in groups of 3 which can be completed in any order, as in the basic game?

Taking it all in all, I feel that my hopes of making a nice easy game for myself had better be abandoned. I'll stick to writing my own programs and playing in my sandbox, and perhaps other people's scenarios.
Hi Bushface

What I mean by prefix is how you name each sequence. So you could call colonial era missions, ColTocabboGoal, ColOperaGoal, ColMansionGoal
To ensure it doesn't run more than once, in the sequence settings, you need to set it to "once". Then [ONCE] appears next to the sequence name

To ensure 3 goals appear at any time, use the 'run random sequence' 3 times and set prefix to "Col" so it knows to pick sequences which start with "Col"

As for possible tasks, you only need to set which ones you want. You don't need to have one for every single possible item
Please consider that this post begins with a long string of violently obscene epithets and expletives.

Why? Because the Mission Editor invariably crashes when making the third or fourth save, after I have spent time titivating the geography of my island into the beginnings of what I want. No, I do not "save and test", which I understand does cause problems if any further tweaks are applied.

If only there was the option to "save as . . .", but no; each successive save overwrites the previous one, so after the inevitable crash there is nothing of my work available to reload.

And my intention is to do a great deal of modification, too much to do in a single session.

Is there some kind of cap on what changes can be made to the starting map? Is it to do with (more expletives!) Windows 10?
@bushface

Have you tried running in Compatibility Mode? (I may have suggested this before) ... or do a SAVE - and exit completely back to Windows, then go again?
It maybe a pain, but less so than losing lots of work.
@billyplod

Will try Compatibilty. Have tried exit and restart: that works sometimes, but not always.
@billyplod

Tried to use compatibility, but that needs an .exe file and apparently I do not have such a file! Drilling deep to the Tropico 5 folder, that holds only other folders and none of them holds an .exe file. It must surely exist somewhere , but neither Windows' Search nor my digging can find it.
So it's back to save and restart and, above all, hope.
Another query - I have managed to create a scenario but caannot upload it to Steam because that demands a screenshot and image path.

EDIT. Have a screenshot in .png format. Is that acceptable? Now, what must I enter as image and image path in order to be allowed to upload my map? The path on my computer to the file is, as usual, very long.
Hello Bushface.
Just use the "..."-Button at the end of the empty Image Path box. Now just guide through your storage until you have found the place where you have stored the picture you want to use in Steam Workshop, representing your Mission/Map.
There is nothing you have to add, as the empty box will just be filled with the file-path, which is only visible in the options and for you.

cheers

Unerde