Is there any way to Mod the Game?
Hello All,

So far I love the game. It is diffidently a economy simulator, but I have not had this much fun with the economy since Railroad Tycoon 3.

My big question is can you have mods for the game and if so how/where would I start.

I see mentioned in a couple of places hinting to the fact that you can make mods for the game.

in this thread:http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=28108

It mentions under "Will there be a Steam Workshop integration?" it suggests there are mods for this game?

Thanks,
Bob

P.S I do see the appdata file and a appdata.exe thinking this may have something to do with decompling the data file, just not sure how to work it. Anyone have any ideas?
I believe that the game data complied with a GM's own version so to edit that data you would need access to that and the it's packed, compressed into the .Fuk files.

Some wrote, found an extractor for those files used in Patrician 4 - so that may work to decompress the game data but to extract it to some thing like XML format to be able to use it you would need GM's tools.
Not sure I understand, but what I did gather is basically no there is no official way to mod the game atm?

Does anyone know if there are any other games released right now that use the same engine?

What is with the FAQ I posted was it just a mistype to say feel free to mod the game, yet there is no way to do so?

Thanks for the help so far,
Bob
http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=14872
(06-10-2015, 10:26 AM)TradeCart Wrote: http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=14872

Cool thanks for the heads up.

It seems to extract them fine. But I cannot seem to get the game to load the extracted files so not sure what is up with that.

Also it would seem all of the data no matter what format for this game is in binary. Even the .txt files and the .xml files. Maybe it is encrypted?

In the FAQ I linked they said it was not encrypted so not sure. Anyone else have any luck?
Have anyone had any success on modding the game yet?
The "PortRoyale3_Extract" and "p4pr3_unfuk_1.0" is not for Grand Ages: Medieval.
It will extract error file.
(the tools can extract,but actually the extract file was wrong.)

I recently research how to unpack/repack the fuk file for Grand Ages: Medieval.
But I am lack of ability about decomposition files.

I hope here will some awsome guys can make a new unpack/repack tools for Grand Ages: Medieval fuk file.
You can pack the files from the .fuk compressed data stores but the .HPK files are not in the standard VB format, you need the Gaming Minds proprietary (their own special in house version) extractor to edit these. Which I doubt that they will part with.
I have updated my extractor to be able to deal with Grand Ages: Medieval's FUK files (I merely had to add support for decompressing the zlib streams), see here. It does not allow any form of repacking, though from what I have seen I'd guess that any repacker for PR3 should work fine (you could even try the ones for P4). I am not familiar with HPK files (and I presume that VB is short for VisualBasic, but that does not really help me at all). I am not promising anything, but I would (in general) be willing to take a look at that file format.
VB is Visual Basic.

The HPK files are what hold the data. If you want to to change the game then these are the files you need change. The HPK files formats were used first by PopTop Software (Railroad Tycoon and Tropico 1) and there are applications that say they can unpack these and extract the data - typically to XML format so they can be edited, but if they can save these edits is unclear.

The HPK files used by GM for GaM is in a different format, I haven't seen any data extractor's or save file scripts for these files. Even if you do manage to decipher teh format and extract data - save will be problematical unless you sort out any Checksum issues.
I still fail to see the connection between this rather obscure HPK format and the general notion of programming in Visual Basic (and a quick search on google does not reveal any obvious connection). Also, none of the FUKs from GAM that I have seen up until now (which are probably not all of them, since I do not own GAM) contained any HPK files. If you have any samples of such files, you can send them my way and I will gladly take a look at them.
(07-07-2016, 03:20 PM)billyplod Wrote: You can pack the files from the .fuk compressed data stores but the .HPK files are not in the standard VB format, you need the Gaming Minds proprietary (their own special in house version) extractor to edit these. Which I doubt that they will part with.

Thank you for your reply.

I have only research "Port Royale 3" & "Grand Ages: Medieval" file.
There is no HPK file in "Patrician IV" & "Port Royale 3" & "Grand Ages: Medieval".

(It's seem only in "Tropico 3", "Tropico 4", "Tropico 5", "Grand Ages: Rome", "Omerta: City of Gangsters")
(and FordGT90Concept have make a Tool for HPK file)

(08-07-2016, 06:45 PM)cope Wrote: I have updated my extractor to be able to deal with Grand Ages: Medieval's FUK files (I merely had to add support for decompressing the zlib streams), see here. It does not allow any form of repacking, though from what I have seen I'd guess that any repacker for PR3 should work fine (you could even try the ones for P4). I am not familiar with HPK files (and I presume that VB is short for VisualBasic, but that does not really help me at all). I am not promising anything, but I would (in general) be willing to take a look at that file format.

The extractor work great !!
Thank you cope !!  You are awesome !!  Big Grin

I haven't seen there has repack tool for PR3.
(Could you give me a keyword or hint?)
I am not even sure whether there is a repacker for PR3; I am not really involved in the modding scene for PR3/P4. I might look into writing a small repacker some time next week, but no promises on that (the format is not that complicated, but there is a single field that I have no clue about as of yet; furthermore I do not own GAM, so I can't really test it).