Technical FAQ
Technical requirements for Tropico 3

Minimum:

* CPU: 2,4 GHz Single-Core
* RAM: 1 GB
* Video Card: 256MB DirectX9c, Shader Model 3.0 (Geforce 6 Serie, ATI X1300)
* HDD: 5 GB
* Soundcard: DirectX9-compatible

Recommended:

* CPU: 2,4 GHz Dual-Core
* RAM: 2 GB
* Video Card: 512MB DirectX9c, Shader Model 3.0 (Geforce 8 Serie, ATI HD4800)

Supported Operating-Systems:

Windows XP (with SP3)
Windows Vista (with SP2)
Windows 7 (RC officially not supported)

Current DirectX-9-Version:

You will find DirectX9 on your Tropico-3-DVD. Due to continuing revolution you can also use the official DirectX WebInstaller to keep your DirectX-Version up to date.

FAQ

Please make sure you have installed the latest drivers, especially for your video card, your soundcard and your mainboard.

Q: I can't see any buildings or people in Tropico 3, why?

A: Your graphics chipset does not meet the technical requirements for this game and is not compatible with Tropico 3. Please note that Tropico 3 requires a fully DirectX9c-compatible graphics adapter with 256 MB of dedicated memory and support for Shader Model 3.0 hardware functions as stated on our official website (http://www.tropico3.com) and the back of the retail box. Your graphics card does not meet these criteria and will not work properly with your game.

Q: Where can I get the latest driver for my video-card?

A:
Nvidia
AMD/ATI

Tropico 3 does not start, crashes or runs very slowly:

Q: You can not start the game or it crashes while playing?

A: Does your pc meet all technical minimum-requirements?
* CPU: 2,4 GHz Single-Core
* RAM: 1 GB
* Video Card: 256MB DirectX9c, Shader Model 3.0 (Geforce 6 Serie, ATI X1300)

Q: I use Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME or Windows 2000.

A: Tropico 3 does not support these operating systems.

Q: Where can I find my save game files?

A: Push windows-key + R, enter "%APPDATA%\Tropico 3" (without quotation marks), the folder „saves“ contains your save game files.

Q: How to make screenshots in Tropico 3?

A: With the „Print“-key on your keyboard you can create screenshots in TGA-format which are automatically are saved in „My pictures“. To create screenshots in other formats you can use external tools like fraps (http://www.fraps.com).

Q: The main menu does not appear after watching the intro-movie, why?

A: Possibly your game-configuration got corrupted by a system-crash. Please delete the game-configuration-folder in %APPDATA%\Tropico 3 completely (the "Saves"-folder contains your save-games, you may copy this and paste it back there after deleting the complete folder). After this your game-configurations should be resetted and your game should start without any problems.

How to report an error

If you discover any errors in Tropico 3 please report to support@kalypsomedia.com.

Q: Does Tropico 3 update automatically?

A: Tropico 3 uses an integrated automatical update-function. If you start Tropico 3 while being connected to the internet the game will download new updates automatic.

Q: Which kind of copy protection is used at Tropcio 3?

A: Tropico 3 does not use a online-activation-system, all you need to play is a legal serial which is delivered with your game. If you want to use the online-features like uploading and sharing of custom maps you have to create an online-account.

Q: Does Tropico 3 benefit from using from multicore-processors?

A: Tropico 3 highly benefits from using multicore-processors.

Q: I have problems (Download, installation, updates) with the download-version of Tropico 3.

A: Please contact the Kalypso-Support and at the same time the support of your download-provider.

Questions to the console-version of Tropico 3

Q: Will there be a Tropico 3 demo for Xbox360?

A: Yes, there will be a demo for Xbox360. The exact release date is not sure yet.

Q: Will there be a PS3-Version of Tropico 3?

A: Currently there is no PS3-Version planned.

To be continued!
Walk the Line

Kalypso-Bob says:
Thank you for the technical FAQ Dennis, you are my saviour! When I got up this morning I asked myself "Why?!", but now all is fine, you made my day! Hail to the whole Kalypso-Crew!
Great thing you did there !
You just forgot something ! Very important !
Will there be an expansion pack ? Or will we have more content by the upgrades !
(I'm a allowed to post on that threat I'm not shure)
Thanks and good job Wink
Kalypso-Bob says:
Of course you are allowed to post here, this is a free forum! Smile
Im running windows vista ad my system surpasses what it needed to run the game, but everytime I try to open the game it tells me an error has occured and it refuses to open
Hi nostart, your original thread was moved here: http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=3045

I would appreciate if we could keep the troubleshooting to individual threads.
I have a very newbie question.

I have a AMD 64 x2 TL58 1.9GHz processor. I also have a NVIDIA GEforce 7150M /nforce 630m that sufficient to play the game? I am most confused on the dual core vs single core issue. Is a dual core 1.9GHz sufficient if you only need a 2.4GHz single core processor.

thanks in advance.
(06-12-2009, 03:59 AM)captainalex Wrote: I didn't even know this game was coming out. Nearly screamed out in joy when I saw it in the computer aisle at Target.
Hah, same thing happened to me when I spotted it at Target.
I had played the original Tropico on my PC.

I just want to make sure it will work on the notebook I'm using.
It'd be a shame if I bought it and couldn't run it smoothly.

I'm using a HP Pavilion dv9000 notebook.
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-64 (2 CPUs) Processor
- NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150
does tropico 3 will work on my computer?

I'm not a big gamer and i don't know a lot about computer, but i would like to play this game without having any problem. This is my computer :

"Intel Core2 Duo T9600 2.8 Ghz with 4 Go ram(4 Go DDR3 1066 MHz), 320 Go(320 Go - Serial ATA - 7200 rpm). Video card : ATI Mobility Radeo HD 3650 256 Mo."

On the topic with the recommended configuration it says that i need 512 mo of video card, but is it exagerated?

And by the way i have windows 7, "Windows 7 (RC officially not supported)" what is RC ?

Sorry for my english, i'm french.
Please allow me to guess --

This thread is NOT the place to ask the experts to guess in advance how your personal machine/platform will respond if you buy the game/program and load it onto your machine.

Do you suppose that they have already provided as much "advance" information as they can about the requirements for a machine/platform which will run the program?

I see at the bottom of the original, offical post -- To Be Continued.

Perhaps if your questions based on owning the program are not answered, you should simply ask for the continuation.
according to the box, you only need 515meg ram not 1 gig and since my system only has 1 gig ram I would not have bought it if it was labeled as needing 1 gig ram.
(17-02-2010, 01:00 AM)stevewearp Wrote: The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

This is a typical error message for a corrupt download. Please try re-downloading and installing again.
Not being a hardcore techie, so I'm sorry for display the right amount of info. But how do I get the right video card?

When I look at mine it says
Accelerator in Use: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family

Is that it? Whats the deal?
It is not even a Videocard just a chip. I think you use a notebook?
And like all Intelgraphicchips, it is to slow for newer 3Dengines. And even if some would be fast enough, the drivers are crap.
But your won't be fast enough and it don't have Shader Model 3.

Its Simple. You don't have a nVidia or an ATI graphicchip or card it won't be fast enough to play games.
And in the first Post you see, you need an nVidia 6xxx (7xxx, 8xxx 9xxx, gt xxx, gts xxx, gtx xxx (x= random number)) or an Ati x1300 (2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx, 5xxx) to play the game. There are mobileversions of these chips to, mostly weaker then the brother in name, but they will work.
But you can't upgrade a notebook.

Sorry
(25-04-2010, 07:20 PM)sauer Wrote: It is not even a Videocard just a chip. I think you use a notebook?
And like all Intelgraphicchips, it is to slow for newer 3Dengines. And even if some would be fast enough, the drivers are crap.
But your won't be fast enough and it don't have Shader Model 3.

Its Simple. You don't have a nVidia or an ATI graphicchip or card it won't be fast enough to play games.
And in the first Post you see, you need an nVidia 6xxx (7xxx, 8xxx 9xxx, gt xxx, gts xxx, gtx xxx (x= random number)) or an Ati x1300 (2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx, 5xxx) to play the game. There are mobileversions of these chips to, mostly weaker then the brother in name, but they will work.
But you can't upgrade a notebook.

Sorry

Right thanks. Thats useful. Are they free to download? The weaker mobile ones?

I have an Inspiron 6400 with 3g RAM.
I tried installing a new mobile geforce thingy but i dont see it in my device manager. I then uograde the current version of my card and still no luck.[/align]
Argh. Downloaded the right driver for my Vista but now it says I have the wrong hardware.
I think you misunderstod (or my english is to bad).
In your Notebook a litte microship is attached for calculating the graphic (GPU). And there is the CPU and mostly a microship for calculating the sound.
Sometimes GPU and CPU are on one chip.

They are hardware not software and I don't know any notebook where they can replaced.
Your GMA950 is not suited for games and can't be replaced.

If you want to play the game, you need a new PC or Notebook.

Mobile weaker ones was related to the normal GPUs wich are obstructed on graphiccards.
There are mobile versions of these chips wich are used in notebooks. Often they got there own ram (your graphicchip uses some memory of your 3GB main memory, a function that is called shared memory) and they are based upon the desktop varriants (the ones on graphiccards) but they often a little bit weaker. As I said, you can not replace them.

That is why I own a desktop PC for games (its sheaper to upgrade then to buy a new notebook) and a notebook for work when I am not at home. But it can handle some older games to because it has a x700mobile (but T3 won't run on it because the x700 don't supports Shader Model 3.0 and is not fast enough, its old Wink) which is mutch faster then your chip.

The IntelGPUs are just for working with office and not for gaming.

Sorry, but I think if you want to play a Tropicogame on your notebook you have to play Tropico 1 or Tropico 2.
Hi i just bought a copy of tropico 3 and it keeps on having what i call strokes, what happens is the game will stop at random times for a second or two then go back to normal, i know what u are thinking but its not what it looks like, or maybe it is, thats why i am asking. you see i just setup a brand new rig that should and for the most part has no problem with the game.

RIG specs:
AMD phenom II x4 965 3.4ghz
Muskin 1600 DDR3 (x2/4gbs of ram)
powercolor HD 4670 (memory-1gb/core-750mhz/shader model 4.1)
ASUS M4A785T-M

now u see my problem, i tried the lowest and highest settings but it still happens, i love this game please help me!
thanks for the tip but i figured out the problem, turns out my internet security program, Kaspersky, was causing the problem. it thought that tropico 3 was a keylogger. dont ask me but it seamed to cause the problem. after fixing that, it ran without a problem. thanks again.
I'm buying a new laptop this week with an ATI RadeonTM HD 4330 graphics card - 512MB dedicated video memory, will tropico 3 run on this???
Many thanks, R
Hi.
I have Windows 7 HP edition and successfully installed Tropico3 ok.
I started the game a few times and all was well.

The last few times I tried to start it flashes the screen black then says the program could not run.
I have tried uninstalling and then reinstalling it, but this does not help.

To try and solve a different problem I made some changes to the UAC settings, but have since set them back to the initial settings.

Any suggestions on how to fix ?

Update: Do I need permission to write to a folder under the Tropico3 directory ? It appears that the folders are read-only so I wonder if that may be causing the problem. Perhaps if it is trying to create a saved games folder there ?

thanks.
They should not re-download every time you start the game. It's likely you are missing user privileges so the game can't store the updates permanently. Make sure to launch the game with administrator privileges and the user data folder is accessible.
(11-11-2009, 03:54 PM)Dennis Wrote:
[snip]

Q: Does Tropico 3 update automatically?

A: Tropico 3 uses an integrated automatical update-function. If you start Tropico 3 while being connected to the internet the game will download new updates automatic.

Q: Which kind of copy protection is used at Tropcio 3?

A: Tropico 3 does not use a online-activation-system, all you need to play is a legal serial which is delivered with your game. If you want to use the online-features like uploading and sharing of custom maps you have to create an online-account.

[snip]
I did the underline.

It seems not to be entirely intuitive how to find the "in-game" link to the site where one is to establish the "online-account" as mentioned above. Would it be possible to publish here an explicit, step-by-step description of how to use the ONLINE-FEATURES ??
You are being asked to register an account before you can access the online features. It doesn't get any more intuitive than that. You are creating the account directly in the game, there is no web link you have to follow.
(04-01-2011, 04:40 PM)Timo Wrote: You are being asked to register an account before you can access the online features. It doesn't get any more intuitive than that. You are creating the account directly in the game, there is no web link you have to follow.

So somewhere as a player uses the in-game menu to select the various features, the "on-line" features appear in some manner or other and when the player tries to select one of them, he is prompted to register an account.

Yes, that is not especially intuitive unless the player is so naive as not to know about the on-line features. May I introduce you to ezwip
http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/member.php...&uid=12845

Perhaps you could kindly describe where the "on-line features" may be encountered in the game menu.

Wink
(04-01-2011, 05:44 PM)CoconutKid Wrote: So somewhere as a player uses the in-game menu to select the various features, the "on-line" features appear in some manner or other and when the player tries to select one of them, he is prompted to register an account.

Correct. Features such as the user created challenges and leaderboards require internet access and registration of an online account.

Your link just takes me to a user profile.

(04-01-2011, 05:56 PM)Timo Wrote: Your link just takes me to a user profile.

Yes. I thought you might provide a little special help to that user who seems unaware of the "on-line" stuff -- and he might give you an insight to how to improve the marketing of the benefits of the on-line features.

Just as game players are advised to study the characteristics of the "Tropican citizens" -- perhaps you should or could occasionally make yourself acquainted with a random game owner.

Wink
Did that user post anything hinting at him or her being unaware of the online features? I've looked at the user's post history briefly but couldn't find anything suggesting that he or she needs help with this.
(04-01-2011, 09:36 PM)Timo Wrote: Did that user post anything hinting at him or her being unaware of the online features? I've looked at the user's post history briefly but couldn't find anything suggesting that he or she needs help with this.

(04-01-2011, 03:26 AM)ezwip Wrote:
(03-01-2011, 04:17 PM)CoconutKid Wrote: The Game site was also supposed to be the homestead for the fan community, and you don't know anything about it?

I coughed up 6 bucks for the whole shebang and installed the 3rd party back door on my computer. If there is such a site I'd like to know as well. I did find a Steam forum for Tropico which is more active than this.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/fo...sc&page=11

http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread...8#pid75538

I guess I misled the poor person with the wrong terminology. I hang my head in shame. Of course, whilst you are hanging my head plus body from a nearby tree.

Wink
Is there a way to retrieve your password in the game. I shelved the game for a while and now when I use my password it doesn't work. I would like to browse the challenge games for scenarios. I bought the game through Steam at release so there is no question about owning a legal copy.