Suggestion/idea for future game
After playing Grand Ages: Rome, Port Royale 2 & 3, Rise of Venice and Grand Ages Medieval, I can see why people didn't like the current game as it wasn't what they were expecting.

I do like trading games though (And Port Royale 3 was my favourite due to it being a much larger map compared to Rise of Venice)

For a future game, a combination of Port Royale, Rise of Venice and Grand Ages Medieval would make for a great game

It would be a trading focused game for the player (PR4?)
There should be both trading AI and empire AI

If possible, a randomly generated map would be good
I haven't specified if its ships only or caravans or a mix of both

The game would start out quite empty with only a small handful of cities- all different empires (Perhaps 3 cities each empire or so), but would found new cities over time
Cities would need to have their own logic where they will send out their own ships/caravans to gather goods (Like RoV or PR)

As empires grow, there would be more cities for the player to trade with. Cities should also grow as goods are supplied to them, but this should be to an accelerated speed due to the map starting quite small

Empires could declare war on each other (Like the colonial wars in the port royal games) giving the player a chance to have privateering missions
Empires might close borders during this time or place embargos

As in Rise of Venice, there should be a number of major rivals competing with you. However the political/sabotaging elements should be removed
Instead work needs to be put into the game to make rivals compete with you by building a trading empire (Perhaps they get a profit margin bonus to compete with a human player depending on difficulty)
They should build businesses over time and more ships/caravans too

Winning conditions could be money, some sort of influence or first to maximum rank or something
(26-06-2016, 12:09 PM)mwyeoh Wrote: After playing Grand Ages: Rome, Port Royale 2 & 3, Rise of Venice and Grand Ages Medieval, I can see why people didn't like the current game as it wasn't what they were expecting.

I do like trading games though (And Port Royale 3 was my favourite due to it being a much larger map compared to Rise of Venice)

For a future game, a combination of Port Royale, Rise of Venice and Grand Ages Medieval would make for a great game

It would be a trading focused game for the player (PR4?)
There should be both trading AI and empire AI

If possible, a randomly generated map would be good
I haven't specified if its ships only or caravans or a mix of both

The game would start out quite empty with only a small handful of cities- all different empires (Perhaps 3 cities each empire or so), but would found new cities over time
Cities would need to have their own logic where they will send out their own ships/caravans to gather goods (Like RoV or PR)

As empires grow, there would be more cities for the player to trade with. Cities should also grow as goods are supplied to them, but this should be to an accelerated speed due to the map starting quite small

Empires could declare war on each other (Like the colonial wars in the port royal games) giving the player a chance to have privateering missions
Empires might close borders during this time or place embargos

As in Rise of Venice, there should be a number of major rivals competing with you. However the political/sabotaging elements should be removed
Instead work needs to be put into the game to make rivals compete with you by building a trading empire (Perhaps they get a profit margin bonus to compete with a human player depending on difficulty)
They should build businesses over time and more ships/caravans too

Winning conditions could be money, some sort of influence or first to maximum rank or something

I can tell you, that while the developers might read this, I would say it is not likely. Any suggestions I have had for them about their games over the past several years, met with the same response, and them ignoring all suggestions, and trotting out yet another retread of their previous title. Port Royale Series, Patrician series, Rise of Venice and Grand Age Medieval all use a nearly identical trade system, which what seems like fewer and fewer commodities from which to choose from. The games also seem to give players fewer and fewer options, making them more akin to a casual mobile game, not what is touted as a AAA title. People didn't like the previous several games that Kalypso has made because it indeed was not what people were expecting. They expected the company to take what they learned from the previous title, expand upon it, adding a lot of new features, but if you have played Port Royale 2 and 3 or Patrician 3 and 4, I think most people rated the game poorly because they seem more like get rich quick schemes, instead of a developer trying to make the next great game in the genre.

I wish Kalypso would look at their fans requests, and suggestions for games or simply as things they want to add to their next game. Their games have never been able battles or war, and I doubt they will make a game that puts much emphasis on that in any game soon. Their next project, a new IP (Thank god) looks to be developed by someone other then their internal studio, and I do not know how much creative input they will use for it. I really hope they take the free time they have now, with no games being developed by their studio, no major updates needing to be made, and maybe only a DLC needing to be made. I hope they take this time to look at Steam reviews, look at what their fans really want from their games. I for one, want more features, not less. Although some of the features you stated are a bit specific, I think everyone could get behind Kalypso creating a new game, not a sequel, that is trading focused, uses what they knew about this style of game from Patrician III, and expands on letting the player play the way they want. If a player wants to be king of his country like in Grand Ages Medieval or if he wants to be a Pirate of his town that he controls, including controlling his own fleet of ships, like in Port Royale series, giving the player tools to play in those separate ways would be great. Can they make the game as rewarding to play as a King, as well as ruler of your very own trading empire, or as the leader of a Pirate faction? It would not be easy giving tools to these different play styles in the same game, and maybe that is why they haven't tried, too much trouble when people seem to be willing to buy whatever game they release, regardless of the reviews.

I don't know that they will ever have a random map generator, as they seem fairly set in their historically viable maps, but larger areas, instead of small sections of 1 continent like in all their previous titles. Hell, I wish they would look at Empire Total War's map, really look at what they did to include the entire map, while not making it too much for the player.

Well with any luck, they will realize what they have been doing wrong the past several years, and will make a game we can all be happy to buy.
I agree with that
Unfortunately its the same with the Tropico series nowadays too

Although they have released patches periodically, the last one was for steam workshop integration (Which was good), but there have been no bug fixes since despite there being quite a few easily fixed bugs in the game

I thought Id just give my input anyway and hope for the best
I've only had a computer capable of playing GA:M for a week, and so have little experience with the game. I'm not even close to being bored with it yet, but I do wonder if a separate game set in China, based on GA:M, would sell well?

If the developers wince at twisting history, a China game would probably be best set in an era not dominated by an effectve dynasty. The aptly-named Warring States era comes to mind.