Battles - Not controllable?
I've played Patrician 3 and earlier.  A lot of micromanagement (not auto trade lol) but fun.

Just got Patrician IV and auto trade makes the game so easy... but I cannot seem to control battles for my ships that are on auto trade.  Three times a pirate has attacked a trade ship, but I have no way to enter the battle.... then its over and my ship gets away, I guess?  No idea what happened beyond that.

Does P4 only allow payer control of non-auto trade battles?  Am I missing something?  Or is there a mod to force it to allow player control?

I just want to control all my battles. lol
@Seddrik

Auto trade means auto fight. But the way I deal with Pirates is to use a couple of actions. First I create two or three "Pirate Hunting" convoys or actually single ship convoys just to attack Pirates these slowly build a Captains fighting experience once they get to Five (5) I swap these into trading Convoys. Patrol in areas where Pirates are appearing from. You tend to get a feel for these areas as the game progresses. The other action is with the trading convoys themselves and have a single fighting ship, you normally can see Pirates approaching your trading convoy in enough time to take control and manually fight the battle.

I use SNAIKKAS fully extended for Pirate Hunting, the extra maneuverability always wins in the end. Helps to research the fighting tree in the University as well to get extra speed and firepower.
after the hide-outs are detected you can see in the tavern when a convoy will appear on the map and where.
using 1-3 hunter convoys with a captain with fighting skill 5 (trainer in Reval) will stop them before they can catch one of my convoys.

i prefer crayers for manual battle! Wink
Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
[Image: http://imghost4you.com/images/46.png]
(28-11-2016, 04:32 PM)Dorimil Wrote: i prefer crayers for manual battle! Wink

... and later in the game when the Pirates get really fast you need a smaller faster ship Smile
I'm an old hat at P3.  I've used crayers mainly and hulks to fight pirates, but I did read there are differences in battles now.   That they just try to kill you, not capture.  Will see as I play further in P4 how big the differences are.

Thanks for the replies.  While I wish I didn't have to micro manage just to get into ship battles... at least there is a way to do it.

Any randomizer mod for resources in P4?  Found one when I played P3 and it made for nice variety.
Patrician III was great. The trading was detailed. You could set up a trade route (tedious to set up, but once done it worked fine). You had to work hard to get weapons for your crew and cannons for your ship. And THEN Battles! You could control your ship and fire whenever you want to. Your skill and timing against the pirates. FUN!

Patrician IV ROAD. Auto trader. Cheesy easy. Weapons and cannons? Automatically there. Battles? The ship wants to steer itself... often contrary to your directions. You cannot fire cannons directly. It autofires when it thinks it has a shot. Which means you miss good shots and go for the stupidly close, let me get shot back position I have worked so hard avoiding...

I'm going back to Patrician 3. I am looking for a steam refund.
you could choose at the start if you want a traditional/realistic productions in town, or sort by random...look at the options at the beginning.

within the battles you could shoot by yourself (right mouse for direction, left mous for shooting)! the ship begins to steer itself after some time you are inactiv.
Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
[Image: http://imghost4you.com/images/46.png]
@Seddrik

..... and the game can be modded --> http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=9876
so you can set up various parameters to suit yourself.