I Have Had it up to Here with Fires.
Just putting that out there.
Look on it has an opportunity.

If you are getting too many fires then you are either neglecting wells and fountains or doing really well and the AI is giving you something to think about.

If I get a fire alert in one of the towns I'm looking to develop, then pause the game. Find the house or business that is on fire if it's mine demolish it, problem solved. A competitor, then see what's around it and you can normally see how far it's going to spread, you can let a competitors stuff burn, and build businesses or houses to take up the population that is going to be displaced. You may need to demolish some of your buildings to create a fire break but worth it.

If the fire is in a town you aren't invested in then a good market for your building materials and popularity in that town
(16-01-2017, 02:26 AM)billyplod Wrote: Look on it has an opportunity.

If you are getting too many fires then you are either neglecting wells and fountains or doing really well and the AI is giving you something to think about.

If I get a fire alert in one of the towns I'm looking to develop, then pause the game. Find the house or business that is on fire if it's mine demolish it, problem solved. A competitor, then see what's around it and you can normally see how far it's going to spread, you can let a competitors stuff burn, and build businesses or houses to take up the population that is going to be displaced. You may need to demolish some of your buildings to create a fire break but worth it.

If the fire is in a town you aren't invested in then a good market for your building materials and popularity in that town

I'm playing on maximum difficulty, but I've supposedly got 100% coverage for wells in all the sea ports.  It just doesn't seem to make any damn difference.  There are always a ton of fires in the summer, and the fires destroy the food production, which causes famines in the winter, which constricts the supply of building materials...
As I said it is either the AI because you are doing well or a competitor hiring an Arsonist in the Tavern. AI really but if you catch these fast enough they don't do much damage.
(16-01-2017, 03:05 PM)billyplod Wrote: As I said it is either the AI because you are doing well or a competitor hiring an Arsonist in the Tavern. AI really but if you catch these fast enough they don't do much damage.

Hmmm.

OK, demolishing the first flaming house does indeed do the job.
OK...

The buildings that are catching fire are... wells?
wells and fountains...the citizens use them to fight the fire.

with the harbour master addon/dlc you can build some kind of "fire department"...
Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
[Image: http://imghost4you.com/images/46.png]
@dorimil

I think you are thinking of Port Royal 3 - Harbor Master DLC - but wells and Fountains do help to stop fires starting. I have to say that I seem to remember that the fountains and wells in towns survive fires. Town infrastructure survives it's houses and businesses that are destroyed. I will dig out an archived game and see if I can get a screen shot sorted.
@Duke Leto

This is the aftermath of a fire showing a Fountain (Large Well) and a small well intact after the fire. I don't think that fires start in wells, usually a House or Business. The coverage of wells was 100%.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nope. I'm talking about fires starting in Small Wells.

Demolishing them just after a fire starts stops the fire from spreading.

I'll grab a screenshot next time I see it happen.

I've also seen fires start in the architect's office.
Image of a well that has caught fire.

[Image: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.co...036627A9D/]
Ridiculous idea:

Here's Bob Dylan's little known song with The Band: "Well's on Fire" :

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkbkkbicmYs]

If your enemy burns your well

You’ll remember you’re the one

That called on me to call on them

To get you your favors done

And after ev’ry plan had failed

And there was nothing more to tell

You knew that we would meet again