How to remove Wagon Attack SFX
Hello!  It's been a long time.  I've revisited Patrician IV and after many hours I am nearing my own perfect Hansa, with full production of everything except clothes because something has to give if you don't make regular expeditions.

I have run into one issue though: Land Combat.  There is no way whatsoever to stop wagon attacks from what I can tell.  I have finally removed pirates from existing by parking a convoy of hulks/crayers in every port and auto-resolving them away but land attacks never stop.  I have 100% satisfaction and 100% bought lands from every Prince but the land attacks do not cease.

This isn't really a problem for my Hansa, the ~200 goods they steal each encounter is not even making a dent either financially or to the wellbeing of my inland cities, but the noise is unbearable.  Supporting all 7 cities requires a monumental number of wagons, which means my gaming experience is utterly punctuated by the cannon sound of wagon attacks, identical to the pirate attacks.

My question is how can I stop this Sound Effect.  Modding the game files themselves is OK if I know where to find and remove this annoyance.  Reducing the in-game Sound Effects slider is not a good solution because that removes so many other useful sound effects.  

Of course, if anybody does know of a way to disable wagon attacks, that is good too.  Mercs do not work because they will die off no matter what and my goal is to have a Hansa which functions hands-off.

Thanks for your time and thanks for the game.
afaik there is no solution for the attacks to your waggons. only help i know is not to use guardians. then the landlord only capture a part of your goods (10% or 20%). if he has to fight the guardians, he will capture the complete delivery.

for the sound: have you see this thread? http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=9876 probably there is a solution within all the sites... Wink
Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
[Image: http://imghost4you.com/images/46.png]
I found the best way to deal with these attacks is.... not to. I don't use guards on Wagon Trains - yes you lose some goods but it also improves the Prince's happiness in the region.
This offsets the fact that I never accept the "Cause a famine ....." missions.
Undeterred I delved into the game files to see what can be done. I've found a few additional .ini files, one promisingly named "sound.ini"

Unfortunately, nuking that file only killed the music, rather than the sound effects, so I have delved deeper into the game's files, located the p4xxx.fsb files and extracted them. Unfortunately I still could not locate the battle sound, as some of the sound effects I could not play for some reason. Even so, I couldn't figure out how to rebuild the .fsb files after disassembling them.

The search goes on.
So I have nailed down the location of the wagon attack sound effect.

p4stream.fsb contains various sound effects which appear to be streamed into the game rather than cached. If this file is deleted before when the game is loaded then the game crashes before the main menu, right after the Kalypso Logo.

If the game is launched, main menu is reached THEN the p4stream.fsb file is removed, the wagon attack sounds are finally killed. Unfortunately, this kills all other sound from that file, all ~100Mb of it.

So now I am looking for how to rebuild this fsb file without the cannon sound effects, which I suspect is one of "sound_notice_01" to "sound_notice_03".

Getting there!
At long last, and with no shortage of help, the problem has been isolated and solved.

We have been able to unpack, alter and rebuild P4stream.fsb which no longer contains the irritating convoy-attacked sound effect.  Now the Lords, from atop their mountain of ill-gotten gains are free to keep attacking my convoys without disturbing me.

For the sake of others, I'll include the file right here

Download and extract the zip file into your Patrician4 directory, found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Patrician IV if you have the Steam version on a PC.

Open addon.fuk with unfuk.exe

Take all files from the addon folder and move them to the main directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Patrician IV  . If you have been modding and already have a root ini folder then you should merge these folders and not overwrite anything.

Move addon.fuk elsewhere or delete it.

Open Sound folder

replace p4stream.fsb with the p4stream.fsb included in the zip I have attached here.

Now run the game and enjoy no more convoy attack sounds.

Hopefully this will help others on their route towards a perfect Hansa!
just a question: is it possible for you to modify the attack itself? meaning, if ou own 100%, there are no further attacks (as with the towns)?
Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
(06-07-2017, 12:03 PM)Dorimil Wrote: just a question: is it possible for you to modify the attack itself? meaning, if ou own 100%, there are no further attacks (as with the towns)?

"Possible" is a troublesome word in the world of modoing.  Anything is possible with the right tools, enough time and determination. Sadly I lack the time and resourcefulness to find out how to remove wagon attacks entirely. Since my own Perfect Hansa is almost finished I will be closing the final chapter on my relationship with this game so I don't feel the need to mod further. 

All I wanted was to be able to run my hansa hands-off enough. I will have to auto-resolve pirate battles (a 100% win chance with 2 hulks or 3 crater for rivers) and very, very occasionally ship excess goods to the Mediterranean (about 380 barrels every 10 days are overproduced. I am considering underproducing slightly to this end) so the biggest removable annoyance was the constant sound of wagon attacks. Now that they are gone, I can finish with this game for good.
as mentioned, it was only a question, thanks for answering! Big Grin
Just a word of caution. If you remove the Wagon Train Attack Audio (the SFX) you have no way of knowing if an attack is taking place so........ be aware that if you save a game during a Wagon Train attack and reload it the wagon train becomes a "Ghost".

It still appears in the game but it won't continue any auto trade routes nor can you issue orders to it, and you can't delete it either.
Start here -->
http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread...#pid188649
(07-07-2017, 05:58 PM)billyplod Wrote: Just a word of caution. If you remove the Wagon Train Attack Audio (the SFX) you have no way of knowing if an attack is taking place so........ be aware that if you save a game during a Wagon Train attack and reload it the wagon train becomes a "Ghost".

It still appears in the game but it won't continue any auto trade routes nor can you issue orders to it, and you can't delete it either.
Start here -->

Interesting.  I have run many wagon trains for years now but not run into this issue.  I'll keep my eyes open for it, cheers!
(07-07-2017, 05:58 PM)billyplod Wrote: Just a word of caution. If you remove the Wagon Train Attack Audio (the SFX) you have no way of knowing if an attack is taking place so........ be aware that if you save a game during a Wagon Train attack and reload it the wagon train becomes a "Ghost".

Start here -->

Ghost trains "appears" only with auto-save in my experience.
@Xelaehtgre

It happens with any save - mostly people were reporting it with "auto - save" because you don't have control of when an auto save actually happens. (outside whatever you have configured for).
Manual saving tends to happen when there is a natural break in the action. So less chance of an attack being in progress when you save, and these are the saves you tend to reload from.
(11-07-2017, 11:21 AM)billyplod Wrote: @Xelaehtgre

It happens with any save - mostly people were reporting it with "auto - save" because you don't have control of when an auto save actually happens. (outside whatever you have configured for).
Manual saving tends to happen when there is a natural break in the action. So less chance of an attack being in progress when you save, and these are the saves you tend to reload from.

Okay, thanks Billy.

It happened, however, that I had to save the game manually - during a Prince's attack - and the ghost train bug did not appear. A couple of times I reloaded the game in this case. So the bug can be random.