Vikings - Wolves of Midgard now available for Mac and Linux
Vikings!
We are happy to announce that Vikings - Wolves of Midgard is now available for Mac and Linux.
For sure you will be able to play the latest version 2.01 on both platforms.

cheers

Unerde
Right, but not on gog.com at this time. And we get no informations about this situation......
doppelpost, sorry.....
(18-08-2017, 02:32 PM)Unerde Wrote: Vikings!
We are happy to announce that Vikings - Wolves of Midgard is now available for Mac and Linux.
For sure you will be able to play the latest version 2.01 on both platforms.

Thanks, but GOG users still don't have access to the Linux version. Can you clarify please, is this caused by lack of GOG Galaxy libraries for Linux or some other reason? A growing number of games are missing Linux release on GOG because of the above.

Is there anything that you can do to release the Linux version on GOG in the future? Most Linux GOG users don't care about features like cloud saves and etc., so may be you can release the game without Galaxy integration?
Hi shmerl.
Yes, unfortunately Galaxy does not support Linux, and therefore games like Sudden Strike 4 and Vikings - Wolves of Midgard have not been released on GoG so far.

cheers

Unerde
isn't GoG Galaxy optional for playing, is it? So a Linux Version could be published on GoG...only without Galaxy "Support"?
Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
[Image: http://imghost4you.com/images/46.png]
(30-08-2017, 12:29 PM)Unerde Wrote: Hi shmerl.
Yes, unfortunately Galaxy does not support Linux, and therefore games like Sudden Strike 4 and Vikings - Wolves of Midgard have not been released on GoG so far.

Thanks for the confirmation Unerde. Is it because handling lacking Galaxy is extra programming work for the Linux version, or because you don't want to have versions with different features in the same store? If the later, it's probably shouldn't be a blocker, as I said, GOG Linux users would appreciate a version without Galaxy, rather than no version at all.

(30-08-2017, 05:10 PM)Dorimil Wrote: isn't GoG Galaxy optional for playing, is it? So a Linux Version could be published on GoG...only without Galaxy "Support"?

It should be optional, but it's developer's (not GOG's) task, to make the game in a way that it could work without Galaxy, if it's missing. If they make Galaxy mandatory in the code, they end up not releasing the game at all, which is unfortunately what happened with Vikgings: Wolves of Midgard.

I.e. consider other examples like Crypt of the Necrodancer. Initially developers also didn't release the game on GOG, because they made Galaxy a hard dependency, but after Linux users asked them to release it on GOG even without it, they updated the game (it took them one day), and released Linux version that handles lack of Galaxy just fine.

I guess if game is primarily multiplayer, it's a problem when Galaxy provides MP backend. But if it's playable as single player game, it shouldn't be a problem.
I couldn't care less about GOG Galaxy, tbh. I would like to play the game, but I will not buy it on Steam or Windows.

So I'll keep on waiting for a GOG Linux release, hope that it will be released someday.