Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to improve liberty?
CarradiceFrench Offline

How to improve liberty?
Other than edicts and character traits, what buildings could I make etc.? I don't even have an army or police force, just palace guards and the Intellectuals are complaining I don't provide enough liberty...?
31-12-2009 07:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CoconutKid Offline
Has Been or Never Was?

Rolleyes RE: How to improve liberty?
Why worry?

Call an early election. Build Media buildings.
31-12-2009 08:28 PM
TheShanks Offline

RE: How to improve liberty?
You can try the following:
When you build a newspaper building, radio station or television station, you will notice when you click on the “overall” tab for that particular building, that the screen will appear green on certain areas of your map. It’s in these areas that you must pay attention to, as these green areas display where these building will have the most effect. For example, if you choose a channel at the radio station that promotes liberty, it will take effect in these areas that are highlighted in green when you click it; try to build house and useful buildings in these areas too. There are edicts that reduce and slightly increase liberty (you can look for those ones yourself). Try not to build army bases next to apartments where people live as they tend to reduce liberty.
What percentage of liberty have you managed to obtain so far?
31-12-2009 08:34 PM
CarradiceFrench Offline

I normally have around 30-40 liberty, which is a shame because I am fond of having quite a presence of military, but also allow same sex marriages. I, in real life, believe that if there is a lot of police and army around that it shouldn't limit one's feeling to do whatever they like (as long as it doesn't go against common morals etc.)
31-12-2009 08:41 PM
Rossignol Offline

The Sensitivity Training edict helps as well once you have a college. I generally skip the newspaper and wait until I can build the TV and radio. My liberty has usually dipped into the 30s by this time, but it doesn't take long at all after the stations are up and running (BBC/Radio Free Tropico) for it to shoot up into the 70s.
01-01-2010 08:05 AM
TheShanks Offline

(01-01-2010 08:05 AM)Rossignol Wrote:  The Sensitivity Training edict helps as well once you have a college. I generally skip the newspaper and wait until I can build the TV and radio. My liberty has usually dipped into the 30s by this time, but it doesn't take long at all after the stations are up and running (BBC/Radio Free Tropico) for it to shoot up into the 70s.

Cool...

Also, try to build your apartments where people live and get them to fall in the green area of the radio and television transmission (when you select a particular station it will show how much of an effect it having on the population in which it covers). This might mean knocking down a few building etc... I’m currently doing it and I’m approaching 80% so far, and I still have a lot of people to re-house.
Also, I noticed that when you knock down all of your clinics and just build only hospitals (in the right places) you can achieve 94%+ for healthcare as opposed to 80% (when clinics to accompany my hospitals).
01-01-2010 04:27 PM
CarradiceFrench Offline

This is all really helpful information, thank you guys so much. What else I want to know is that, you've got your city centre (palace, construction office, teamsters office etc.) which is the main hub and basically the centre of all my industry, if I were to build a suburb down the road, but too far to walk to the places of work where should I put the garage, by the suburb - or by the industry, or even - both?
01-01-2010 05:17 PM
TheShanks Offline

(01-01-2010 05:17 PM)CarradiceFrench Wrote:  This is all really helpful information, thank you guys so much. What else I want to know is that, you've got your city centre (palace, construction office, teamsters office etc.) which is the main hub and basically the centre of all my industry, if I were to build a suburb down the road, but too far to walk to the places of work where should I put the garage, by the suburb - or by the industry, or even - both?

Try putting them in both places as its is easily accessible for them to get to work and home. Just keep in mind that a few members of your population will always want to live in shacks, even if there are empty buildings condominums down the road; I tend to keep an eye out for this and delete them as soon as they appear...
01-01-2010 11:20 PM
Bob the Lethargic Offline

CarradiceFrench

I agree with a garage being located in both places but approach my industry placement a little differently.

Instead of placing my industries downtown, I place them close to the raw material areas instead. This allows the teamsters to walk from the farms and logging camps to the nearby factories instead of hauling the products back to the downtown area and clogging up downtown with trucks arriving with raw materials and leaving with finished products. Since a garage is nearby for the farms, teamsters will also use the garage to haul finished factory products to the docks instead of walking to the docks and the factory workers will use the garage when it's time to go home. (It also helps keep pollution out of the downtown area)

I reserve the downtown area for housing, garages and service plazas (hospitals, churches, resteraunts, marketplaces, etc.). When housing is close to a service plaza people will more likely walk there rather than drive. This also decreases traffic flow. The diplomatic minstry goes right next to the palace so El President can stop by one every six months to improve diplomatic relations with the superpowers. (And to get some CocaCola and Havana cigars from the ambassadors.Wink)

Buildings like armories, immigration office, police stations etc have their own garages and can be placed as needed outside the downtown area. I usually place any additional construction office and teamster offices scattered evenly over the island. This helps speed up the contruction workers getting to a nearby bulding project eliminating some of the wait time for them to start building something.

Once the downtown area is completed, the downtown Teamster office and Construction office is closed to make room for better housing or improved service buildings. Nothing on my island is fixed in stone - except for El Presidente's Palace. My people insist it remains there - just a stone's throw away for the nearest protester.Tongue

It works for me but may not be your style of play.Big Grin
02-01-2010 11:14 PM
TheShanks Offline

(02-01-2010 11:14 PM)Bob the Lethargic Wrote:  CarradiceFrench

I agree with a garage being located in both places but approach my industry placement a little differently.

Instead of placing my industries downtown, I place them close to the raw material areas instead. This allows the teamsters to walk from the farms and logging camps to the nearby factories instead of hauling the products back to the downtown area and clogging up downtown with trucks arriving with raw materials and leaving with finished products. Since a garage is nearby for the farms, teamsters will also use the garage to haul finished factory products to the docks instead of walking to the docks and the factory workers will use the garage when it's time to go home. (It also helps keep pollution out of the downtown area)

I reserve the downtown area for housing, garages and service plazas (hospitals, churches, resteraunts, marketplaces, etc.). When housing is close to a service plaza people will more likely walk there rather than drive. This also decreases traffic flow. The diplomatic minstry goes right next to the palace so El President can stop by one every six months to improve diplomatic relations with the superpowers. (And to get some CocaCola and Havana cigars from the ambassadors.Wink)

Buildings like armories, immigration office, police stations etc have their own garages and can be placed as needed outside the downtown area. I usually place any additional construction office and teamster offices scattered evenly over the island. This helps speed up the contruction workers getting to a nearby bulding project eliminating some of the wait time for them to start building something.

Once the downtown area is completed, the downtown Teamster office and Construction office is closed to make room for better housing or improved service buildings. Nothing on my island is fixed in stone - except for El Presidente's Palace. My people insist it remains there - just a stone's throw away for the nearest protester.Tongue

It works for me but may not be your style of play.Big Grin

You are correct... I find that it is more effecient if the teamsters (and you need a few), garages, farms and industrial building are placed close to each other...

Also, I prefer to keep industrial buildings aways from the towm centres and tourist areas.
03-01-2010 01:41 AM