IDEA: Random Village/Region Name Generator
Here's an idea for one thing I've missed in the Tropico series ever since the original Tropico: Randomly generated (and editable) village & region names!

If anybody hasn't played the original or doesn't recall, the game would essentially pop a white/yellow name on the screen for your starting city/area. "San Cristobal" for instance is one that's referenced from the first game. You could click and edit this to re-name your city whatever you pleased. As you built up Tropico and your starting city and, say, branched out to build a new farming area/region, or built a far-flung mine with a few support structures, the game would randomly assign another village/area name to this new collection of buildings or community you had built up. I believe this maxed out at around 6 "named" cites/villages you could have on Tropico. Here's an example, with "San Cristobal" as your starting area and "Suarez" to the southwest:

[Image: http://www.greatbitblog.com/wp-content/u...ico1-2.jpg]

This was a really unique and cool idea for a city-builder and gave each map/mission a very unique and organic feel. It also made you think about and prioritize how you built up an area, as you usually wanted to build up the necessary infrastructure/housing/community around new developments.

I would love to see this feature return in Tropico 6! What say you, fellow dictators? Does anybody else miss this feature?
George W. Bush: "A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier, there's no question about it." El Presidente agrees. Cool
(15-09-2017, 08:24 PM)Maximo Wrote: Here's an idea for one thing I've missed in the Tropico series ever since the original Tropico: Randomly generated (and editable) village & region names!

If anybody hasn't played the original or doesn't recall, the game would essentially pop a white/yellow name on the screen for your starting city/area. "San Cristobal" for instance is one that's referenced from the first game. You could click and edit this to re-name your city whatever you pleased. As you built up Tropico and your starting city and, say, branched out to build a new farming area/region, or built a far-flung mine with a few support structures, the game would randomly assign another village/area name to this new collection of buildings or community you had built up. I believe this maxed out at around 6 "named" cites/villages you could have on Tropico. Here's an example, with "San Cristobal" as your starting area and "Suarez" to the southwest:

[Image: http://www.greatbitblog.com/wp-content/u...ico1-2.jpg]

This was a really unique and cool idea for a city-builder and gave each map/mission a very unique and organic feel. It also made you think about and prioritize how you built up an area, as you usually wanted to build up the necessary infrastructure/housing/community around new developments.

I would love to see this feature return in Tropico 6! What say you, fellow dictators? Does anybody else miss this feature?

Was before my love affair with Tropico, but it sounds interesting. Especially if we are going to be connecting multiple islands. It would be good to be notified of "where" certain events are happening. Then knowing right away where there is at. I can imagine certain requirements would be needed, like a "town hall" or a church, etc, etc. So that villages can upgrade to towns to cities. Maybe thus giving the area a bonus of some kind like +5% home happiness or industry production.
(21-10-2017, 11:53 PM)TheBMT Wrote: Was before my love affair with Tropico, but it sounds interesting. Especially if we are going to be connecting multiple islands. It would be good to be notified of "where" certain events are happening. Then knowing right away where there is at. I can imagine certain requirements would be needed, like a "town hall" or a church, etc, etc. So that villages can upgrade to towns to cities. Maybe thus giving the area a bonus of some kind like +5% home happiness or industry production.

Exactly my thoughts TheBMT! With our nation of Tropico bigger than ever and spanning multiple islands/areas, I think it's a little strange that the "nation" of Tropico is really only one city, sort of scattered across an island. The original Tropico gave me much more of a sense of being an island nation, with multiple cities or villages spread across the island, each being a hub for industry or community.

I love the idea that you could have little town halls or community centers, as you say, that could lend bonuses to the surrounding area. This would make that far-flung coal mine feel much less like an isolated production building, and much more like a little village or community that you'd need to build up to support the populace.

Development may be too far gone, or this may be too tricky for the devs to implement, but I would LOVE to see this feature return from the original Tropico and think it would help add a lot of character to Tropico 6!
George W. Bush: "A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier, there's no question about it." El Presidente agrees. Cool