Warehouse Raw Material Issue
I am very new to Port Royale 3 and I need some help and advice concerning my warehouse in Port Royale. I was instructed to build two distilleries in order to produce rum. This I did in the hope of amassing profits to help with my financial progression. However, after erecting this building there appeared a hovering barrel over it and was told by the steward I hired that the warehouse lacks resources. It has been this way ever since and I not been able to solve, or understand what it is I need to do to rectify this problem.

I have established a trade route to pick up wood and other materials but they are always ransacked by pirates and thus return nothing. I am not sure if this is the only reason for my current problem but it sure as hell is not helping. I keep getting notifications that my convoy is under attack - it has a count down to commencement of the battle, but what can I do about this? Am I to take over control of this convoy in order to defend it? I have tried and can't access it, but don't know if it's even possible when out at sea. This has become a vicious circle I have not been able to break - even with my own convoy (the one I actually control) I constantly lose badly to all and any pirates that show up. It's actually got to the point that, whenever a battle is imminent I reload to a save-point and start again.

So I guess what I need to know is what do I actually need to do to satisfy my warehouse raw material demands and, do all my problems stem from interference from pirates? Or is there something else to do that I'm not doing? If it's the former then I'm in a lot of trouble.

Any help or pointers would be very welcome indeed - there is not enough in-game help for me to know or understand what I am required to do.

Many thanks

Jules.
Rum production needs Wood and Sugar (0.5 wood and 1 Sugar per day = 1 Rum) - the Barrel symbol means your missing one all all of the raw materials.

So you need to buy Wood and Sugar - Trinidad produces both, but the best way is to set up a trade route, in simple terms use the "My Strategy" (You can use Procure Raw Materials, but that won't make you as much money)
You need the materials in the list BUT have a look at what else can be brought and sold. Rope needs Hemp; Tools needs Raw Metal and Wood; Cloth needs Cotton.

Port Royale unload Wood and Sugar - load Rum
Port Au Prince - Buy Sugar
Tortuga - Buy Sugar
Isabella - Buy Wood
Santiago - Buy Wood
Trinidad - Buy Wood and Sugar
Cayman- But Sugar

Sell your Rum at each Port.

Then has you progress you can build Warehouses in the towns and produce your own Raw material.
(12-10-2017, 07:29 PM)billyplod Wrote: Rum production needs Wood and Sugar (0.5 wood and 1 Sugar per day = 1 Rum) - the Barrel symbol means your missing one all all of the raw materials.

So you need to buy Wood and Sugar - Trinidad produces both, but the best way is to set up a trade route, in simple terms use the "My Strategy" (You can use Procure Raw Materials, but that won't make you as much money)
You need the materials in the list BUT have a look at what else can be brought and sold. Rope needs Hemp; Tools needs Raw Metal and Wood; Cloth needs Cotton.

Port Royale unload Wood and Sugar - load Rum
Port Au Prince - Buy Sugar
Tortuga - Buy Sugar
Isabella - Buy Wood
Santiago - Buy Wood
Trinidad - Buy Wood and Sugar
Cayman- But Sugar

Sell your Rum at each Port.

Then has you progress you can build Warehouses in the towns and produce your own Raw material.

Hi Billyplod and thank you for your suggestions. I do have a convoy visiting some of those places but not all. I will definitely try opening up a new route and this time using the "My Strategy" option instead.

But...and this but is big. What do I do if and when my trading convoy gets attacked by pirates? It happens all the time and I don't know what to do about it.
Well . . . I did what you suggested but unfortunately my ship got acquisitioned and now several countries have declared war on me for some reason best known to themselves. The crazy thing about it all is that I haven't done anything - all I've been trying to do is trade.

Man! This game is difficult to understand.
@Cannonfodder

Have you run through the Trader & Adventurer Campaigns these give you all the basic information you need to start a reasonably successful game. BUT

Attacked by Pirates - do you have a Warship in your convey? In port select the Red ring symbol and organise at least one warship in your convey. Sailors and Swords with ammo for the guns. This way you can stop the attacks and win ships.

Annoyed countries - look in the Chronicle  you may find clues there. The one that is tricky with PR3 is - if you do go to war with a Country you will it almost impossible to make peace.
But you can help both issues you have by destroying Pirates -> http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread...ht=battles
Check this thread
Thanks BillyPlod, I will certainly check out that link you supplied and thanks for your help and advice.

Yes; I have warships as such - all loaded with maximum crew, cannon balls, guns, and swords.

I have decided to wipe my previous game because it's an absolute mess and it's getting me nowhere. Everything was going great until those damn pirates showed up and totally ruined everything I tried to set up. Not one of my shipping convoys has successfully returned to port without being looted by pirates...not a single one! I know it's going to happen again but this time I will have a better idea what to do so I can be better prepared for it.

Games like these have a huge learning curve and I'm only now starting to grasp it, but there are still many things that I'm too sure about.

I will probably post again in my confusion with this game.

But until then, here goes another attempt in getting my sea legs.

Thanks again.
Yeah the pirates are a big unknown. On one of my games they took ages to appear - I literally had 10+ Ships of the Line just sat around waiting for the first pirate ship to dare show itself. On a different game: the very first trade mission I set off to and there's a pirate ship parked outside of where I want to go.

Also I find that if you are proactive at looking for pirates and hunting them down fast then they never seem to become a threat at all. But then if they appear early before you've got a decent anti-pirate convoy ready then things could get rough.
I am right now proactively hunting down pirates. I am getting better at combatting them and I find it easier to use just one ship and run rings round them - that works for me with the occasional perfectly aimed exploding barrel.

I am not too sure yet how to set up a convoy dedicated to hunting pirates, I am still trying to get to grips with all the mechanics in this game. But I'm getting there.
(15-10-2017, 07:13 PM)Cannonfodder Wrote: I am not too sure yet how to set up a convoy dedicated to hunting pirates

Basically all I mean is that I'll have 3 Liners sat in Port Royale, Havana and a couple of other big cities so when pirates appear I just nip a manual-controlled convoy into the nearest one of those cities, pick up the 3 Liners and off we go pirate hunting. If I were in a rush I could form them up into a new convoy instead but that would mean my main captains missing out on some experience.

tbh I am just not a huge fan of the manual combat option, so I play the game in a way that lets me avoid it. If you like the manual combat then yeah grab yourself a barc or military corvette or something and go for it. Big Grin