How to play online?
Hi all,

I have the Patrician IV original CD disk in my possession and I've enjoyed many hours of playing in single-mode on my own desktop and/or laptop, with few frustrating issues about totally disabling the pirates attacks which are an annoyance, but except that all looks good and I'm happy with the game.

However I'd like to try the online browser game version, so I would like more details, or few basic steps how to play online, so here are some basic questions:

1. where is the online browser game web address, I can't seem to find it?
- is it there?
- is it functional?

2. how do we play?
- I understand it's free, or at least for the owners of the game like myself, if not for everyone else out there, so if it's free and available, how can we in fact play?
- do we need to create an online account?

3. is there an active online community?
- are any other players?
- is the online version maintained? (I mean servers, basic coding maintenance, updates, etc.)

4. why is it so hard to find the online game and play it?
- if the online browser game is restricted to the owners of the game, yet if there are no online players, this is untapped potential, for growth and for real profits

from this point, here is just a suggestion for the game owners-developers-publishers
- the game in itself, the concept as a trading game, has great potential to grow and evolve, so making it "free for all" with eventually special premium features to purchase for real money will or could open new doors for the growth of the Patrician name-brand as a series, for the community of fans and not lastly for the game owners-developers
- thus a good team of PHP coders to secure maintenance and some good servers would do wonders, just have a look at other online enterprises with a similar theme - I know at least few other names (I won't mention here) with over 2 Million registered users-players - so, just do the math, 10% active users, 5% premium paying users spending over $20 per month...
- if you seriously contemplate to use this potential and expand the online presence of Patrician theme, please do not make it for mobile devices, for smartphones and/or tablets. or please do not focus on that, as it makes no sense to have such a trading game on a small screen that is offered by any mobile devices, however, is feasible for desktops and/or laptops use and players would love it

thank you for reading
@Ghiby

The base P4 game does not have a Multiplayer mode - but P4 RoaD (Rise of a Dynasty) does have a Coop mode so players can play together.
@billyplod,

thanks for your quick reply

@ the game developers and/or publishers

well, as I've said I have the original CD still in my possession and I still enjoy from time to time playing it in single mode, alone on my computer...

but, also, when it was released, it was advertised - on the package, in the media, in the press releases online on rating gaming sites that has a browser online feature as well - it was part of why some buyers, some of your valuable paying customers decided to spend their money to buy it, for this feature as well, "as advertised" it's a legal term and the legal team of the publisher, I assume Kalypso should be familiar with how it works in this area with brand promoting and advertising a product

also, on my CD, the autoplay has a built-in feature, option, button that clearly states "Patrician online - browser game" however when I click on it, it will initially route to a web address with a German name, that in itself is obsolete, then it will eventually point out to an online rating and news gaming website, gamigo, or something similar, however, it is clearly not a browser game where players can play

thus, this is something that can be considered "false advertisement" and again, this is a legal term, not invented by me...

so I assume the idea to have an online browser game was there, was somehow initiated, but for whatever reason, that side died in time, either due to lack of maintenance, or lack of funds, or lack of users or a combination of all...

but, if the lack of users-players was the main reason, then there is no wonder why there were no users, it's not easy to find and it's not "free-to-play" at the base, like any other online browser game out there.... an online browser game is not making money by making it by design "pay-to-play" type, but by keeping it free for all, while offering premium features" to players who are able and willing to pay real money for premium features... assuming those "premium features" are fun and entertaining...

now, on my end, I am OK to play alone, in single-mode, but the publisher has a reputation to maintain, especially if they want us - aka paying customers - to keep buying their products again and again in time...

as such, not having an online browser game for players to use - as advertised - it is a flaw at many levels... if it was one and it's disabled for whatever reasons, then it should be corrected...

it's also wrong from a business point of view, as a "for-profit" corporation, the owner-developer-publisher is losing money, by not taking advantage of a great potential of generating revenue...

yes, I know all too well it's not easy to design, engineer, create, implement and then maintain a web application as required to make a browser game like Patrician, under this concept and brand-name... however, with a good team of programmers in PHP and some Java and Flash and XML, SQL and similar languages and a motivated Project Manager crew, it can be done and with it, great revenue, profits can follow...

the budget to startup can be found from other "successful" projects - usually, a respectable corporation has some successful revenue streams too - by redirecting the funds and financing the development of the Patrician online browser game... not doing so, is just losing money by not making money from a source with great potential and that's just poor management at higher levels...

my point is, in fact, simple, I'm happy playing all by myself, alone, not online my Patrician IV as I have it on my CD, it's all good here and it provides me with hours of fun and entertaining...

but, also, as a user, with a good job, making relatively good money and with something that is usually called "disposable income" I could also play online and spend some money on some "premium features" like saying a bigger fancier ship, or a skilled captain for my ships, or for some kind of rare commodity to produce and trade, or some kind of a rare unique special building in my trading cities, and stuff like that...

sure, I don't think I could spend on a daily basis, but maybe on a monthly basis, I could spend some extra money for an online game that I like, assuming is still fun and entertaining... like I'm already doing on other online games, that I won't give names...

I am not ranting or anything, in fact, I like Patrician IV and I just think it would have great potential as an online browser game as well, that's all... not doing this, is simply put a poor business decision for the owners-developers of the Patrician series as a trademark

I myself I'm in the business of assessing, evaluating and rating video games, this is what I do best, this is what I know, this is what I'm good at and in this case, I see the great potential that is not used...

the basic game concept as a medieval trading game has great potential, less the pirates attacks and fights that are a "game-within-the-game" and not well done, but the basic game concept has great potential...

users-players would love a "free-to-play" online browser game, and premium paying users will pay for premium features to enjoy... the potential is there, the brand name is established with fans and followers, the math looks good at a first glance, so why not plan and launch such a project, if it can bring joy to the fans and profits to the owners...

just look around you in your own field market, as a video-game developer and/or publisher, others around you, in the same business field, are making millions with online browser games and some don't even have the potential of the Patrician series...

if I would be in the higher management over there I would soon organize a brainstorming meeting with capable people about this project, an online browser game based on the Patrician theme...

but, hey, for now, I'm just a user-player of the game, just voicing my opinions... hehe...

thank you for reading