Farming/Tree Removal/Mining Questions
spyfellow Offline

Farming/Tree Removal/Mining Questions
hello i got a couple questions on farming

when you build a farm do you want the building itself in the green area? -if you have an area that has lots of green and a spot of red should you place the farm on the red spot so the fields are around it in the green? or does the building itself need to be build on the green(to be most productive)

is there a simple way to clear land for fields? i often have to start a new construction site/cancel the construction site to remove trees so the farms make larger fields. anyone know of an easier way to accomplish this?

when i build a mine do i want the building directly ontop of the deposit or off to one side of it?

sorry for all questions, thanks in advance to everyone that helps out
22-02-2010 04:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LimeShoes Offline

RE: Farming/Tree Removal/Mining Questions
I usually place a farm next to the bright green areas, not directly on top.

As to removing wooded areas, I thought when farmers were planting a patch of crop it automatically removed the trees from where they are going to plant.

I also do the same for mines as what I do for farms, not directly over the deposite but next to.
(This post was last modified: 22-02-2010 07:26 PM by LimeShoes.)
22-02-2010 07:26 PM
The_Equalizer Offline

(22-02-2010 04:31 PM)spyfellow Wrote:  hello i got a couple questions on farming

when you build a farm do you want the building itself in the green area? -if you have an area that has lots of green and a spot of red should you place the farm on the red spot so the fields are around it in the green? or does the building itself need to be build on the green(to be most productive)

is there a simple way to clear land for fields? i often have to start a new construction site/cancel the construction site to remove trees so the farms make larger fields. anyone know of an easier way to accomplish this?

when i build a mine do i want the building directly ontop of the deposit or off to one side of it?

sorry for all questions, thanks in advance to everyone that helps out

According to the game as far as farms go you want to place the farm not directly on top of the bright green areas, but kind of on the side of it.

Not sure if there's a simple way to clear land for fields, perhaps someone else knows.

For mines, I use the farm technique where I place the mine slightly on the red, not overlapping any of the yelllow area. Not sure if that's the best way to do it, but it's worked for me so far.
22-02-2010 07:28 PM
Rodeonr20 Offline

I've seen farmers automaticaly plant their crops in the way of trees, so I don't think there is anything you need to do for actually clearing trees. I also place my farms next to the greenest areas, not directly on top of them.
22-02-2010 11:25 PM
mellie Offline

Place farms near green spots not on, as suggested above. You could always place a logging camp down with the cut all option. Obviously make sure the land is also suitable for farming and then once the land is clear you can farm on it and nothing is wasted.

I put my mines near not on deposits.
23-02-2010 12:24 AM
whybuybeta Offline

definitely build them to the side, on most maps the fertile area is very limited for cash crops like tobacco and coffee. only thing I don't like about this is how they are so inefficient with the places they choose to sow their crops. the plots and rotations should be as compact as possible to make the most use of the space, but they often scatter the fields and skip so many blocks to avoid roads and other buildings that are bright green, in favor of less fertile land. it's balanced so that you still get decent yields once they're up and running, but I'm pretty sure it puts a huge delay on the startup.
23-02-2010 03:10 AM
kccricket Offline

the manual says dont put them on the green. put them close by preferably by the red spot if there is one. its the crops that use the green spots not the building. same goes for mines
23-02-2010 03:25 AM
Adekyn Offline

Regarding placement of mines: I did a little experiment. Using a character with no production bonuses I started a small island from scratch, built a bauxite mine, roads to construction crew and dock, built nothing else, and watched the results for two years after the mine construction completed. For each test I restarted the mission.

Test 1: mine directly on the yellow (middle) of the deposit.
Initial resources available: 6125
After two years: 5279
Bauxite mined: 846

Test 2: mine on red (to one side) of the deposit.
Initial resources available 6125
After two years: 5507
Bauxite mined: 618

A third test placed the mine adjacent to but outside the deposit area (just outside the red). This test produced the same available resources, but less bauxite mined than test 2 even though the results were tainted by El Presidente who sneaked in there and sped up production.

A fourth test was to place the mine ridiculously far from the deposit. This yielded 0 available resources.

These few test results indicate that:
1) the total amount of available resources will be the same as long as the mine is placed in proximity to the deposit and
2) mines should be placed directly on the deposits (yellow) to maximize efficiency.

I wonder if experienced players have seen similar results.

Adekyn
Grand Ages Rome Training Grounds
23-02-2010 06:39 AM
dragondog Offline

i usually place mines directly on top of the yellow area and have had little problems with them

Oops brain fart um......................damn it......................... what the hell was that noise?...........................HOLY SH@#!!!
23-02-2010 06:45 AM
kccricket Offline

ill have to keep that in mind
23-02-2010 07:36 AM
spyfellow Offline

good info! thanks everyone, thats what i figured building could be on red(and it not matter) and whybuybeta is right i wish they would compact there fields. i think that is what confused me in the first place, they would plant their fields a couple of squares away from the farm even though the area was just as green, with the square fallow i was thinking i had to remove the trees that grew for them to plan there...
(This post was last modified: 23-02-2010 01:39 PM by spyfellow.)
23-02-2010 01:38 PM
Mike Langlois Offline

I was wandering if someone could help me and explain crop rotation? I'v heard it said a few times, but not sure what it means :$
23-02-2010 05:07 PM
WilberDaForce Offline

Norfolk Crop Rotation -finally my history class from when I was 10 comes in handy. It is er... hmmmm.... I think it is the process of planting crops in one area for two years and then leaving it fallow (unplanted) for one year before then using it again. It gives the nutrients a chance to recover. This was especially important in the time before fertilisers as with fertilisers you can replenish the nutrients artificially. I think that modern organic farming must use rotation as they are very limited in their use of fertilisers (although I did read that they are not fully banned as one might think).

On the mining issue: weird that the test differs from the manual. Interesting. Maybe they altered it after the manual was printed?
23-02-2010 08:14 PM
Presidente Gerardo Offline

A good test regarding tree removal would be-

Run two farms at the same spot on the same island in a heavily forested area. 1st test without removing trees, second test knock down all trees in the area by placing and then destroying buildings in the crop area prior to placing the farm.
See if you get more production from the farm that started with cleared land.
23-02-2010 08:38 PM
dragondog Offline

that's correct WilberDaForce but there are more aspects to crop rotation, like what crops can be planted to enrich the soil and also the importance of soil science and nutrient levels. many farmers test the soil regularly to determine the best crops to plant that year and what will give them the most yield per acre, and also what type of fertilizer to use, because the field could be deficient in some key nutrients. Moreover some farmers do plant different crops in a year for example in my area (Mississippi) one might plant Cotton, harvest it then plant Soy Beans. they do this because cotton takes a lot of the nutrients from the soil and soy beans actually give back to the field some of what cotton took out, because they have nitrogen fixing bacteria in there roots which helps soil nutrients get back to normal.

Oops brain fart um......................damn it......................... what the hell was that noise?...........................HOLY SH@#!!!
23-02-2010 08:47 PM
CoconutKid Offline
Has Been or Never Was?

There are some previous threads which are specific about the "in-game crop rotation \ soil depletion" issue. Search for author 'rebel yell' if my memory serves correctly.

Be cautious about making assumptions that logging camps "clear" ground for farming or building. Lumberjacks generally leave "stumps" which farmers and builders still have to remove. Observe what happens in the game, eh?

WinkShyWink
23-02-2010 09:02 PM
dragondog Offline

don't the farmers and miners remove trees automatically.

23-02-2010 10:19 PM
JimboJones Offline

How many mines can you place around one deposit, for some reason I was operating on the assumption you can only place one mine per deposit but I do not know where I got that from.
23-02-2010 10:35 PM
spyfellow Offline

im not sure about the mines, farmers do remove trees though they're not very smart about it. often build fields/cut down trees squares needlessly away from the farm
23-02-2010 10:37 PM
mellie Offline

(23-02-2010 10:35 PM)JimboJones Wrote:  How many mines can you place around one deposit, for some reason I was operating on the assumption you can only place one mine per deposit but I do not know where I got that from.

There are no restrictions on how many mines per deposit. I put down one on either side of large deposits. Just make sure there is a teamsters office nearby
23-02-2010 10:46 PM
dragondog Offline

do you guys think oil wells should make a lot more money than they do now within the game. because i have on one of my maps 2 or 3 oil wells plus a oil refinery and although i am making money with them I should be making billions of $$$$

24-02-2010 12:59 AM
Hightoy Offline

(24-02-2010 12:59 AM)dragondog Wrote:  do you guys think oil wells should make a lot more money than they do now within the game. because i have on one of my maps 2 or 3 oil wells plus a oil refinery and although i am making money with them I should be making billions of $$$$
I think, that they should make more money. I had a lot of campaigns where i would lose money over the years. Or is the crude oil delivered to a refinery once it's build? Well anyway, the normal export price for crude oil is to low in my opinion.
24-02-2010 01:44 AM
Adekyn Offline

(23-02-2010 08:14 PM)WilberDaForce Wrote:  Norfolk Crop Rotation -finally my history class from when I was 10 comes in handy. It is er... hmmmm.... I think it is the process of planting crops in one area for two years and then leaving it fallow (unplanted) for one year before then using it again. It gives the nutrients a chance to recover. This was especially important in the time before fertilisers as with fertilisers you can replenish the nutrients artificially. I think that modern organic farming must use rotation as they are very limited in their use of fertilisers (although I did read that they are not fully banned as one might think).

On the mining issue: weird that the test differs from the manual. Interesting. Maybe they altered it after the manual was printed?

Hi WilberDaForce:
The only thing I saw about mines in the manual:
Mines and Oil Wells
Mines will exploit the mineral deposit on your island. They have to be placed near a resource, which they will exploit. You can see the Resources in the Overlays menu.
Unlike Mines, Oil Wells need to be placed directly over a resource in order to operate.

I don't think the tests contradict the manual at all. The manual just says to get the mine to operate it must be near the deposit. It doesn't talk about optimal placement.

Is there another reference in the manual I missed? Very possible since I have a hard time reading through manuals for games; I'm too anxious to play them.

Adekyn
24-02-2010 02:53 AM
Hightoy Offline

(23-02-2010 06:39 AM)Adekyn Wrote:  Test 1: mine directly on the yellow (middle) of the deposit.
Initial resources available: 6125
After two years: 5279
Bauxite mined: 846

Test 2: mine on red (to one side) of the deposit.
Initial resources available 6125
After two years: 5507
Bauxite mined: 618
Thanks for this test and sharing the info, i used to place my mines next to the yellow spot and will change this in my next games.
24-02-2010 02:57 AM
dragondog Offline

this may sound ignorant but what is Bauxite anyway is it some kind of mineral?

24-02-2010 04:13 AM
Adekyn Offline

(24-02-2010 04:13 AM)dragondog Wrote:  this may sound ignorant but what is Bauxite anyway is it some kind of mineral?

Bauxite is a mineral that is used in the production of aluminum. I suppose our tropical country exports this to Alcoa.

Adekyn
24-02-2010 05:26 AM
Grim Offline
Banned

(24-02-2010 04:13 AM)dragondog Wrote:  this may sound ignorant but what is Bauxite anyway is it some kind of mineral?

you are correct, that does sound ignorant.
24-02-2010 05:30 AM
dragondog Offline

thanks Adekyn. oh and Grim i suppose you know everything then must be nice.

24-02-2010 06:02 AM
Grim Offline
Banned

(24-02-2010 06:02 AM)dragondog Wrote:  thanks Adekyn. oh and Grim i suppose you know everything then must be nice.

I know you have the AIDS.
24-02-2010 06:09 AM
dragondog Offline

no dirty needles for me man, only kind of dirty.

24-02-2010 06:13 AM