Why do my people leave?
ajedrez Offline

Why do my people leave?
I apparently am missing something here. Its early in the game, my people need church and health care. I build the church and the clinic. I do not have a high school or college yet obviously.

I thought I was supposed to buy a foreign expert to run the place, but they regularly leave. I do not know where they go but you look back at the building after a few months and its empty again with that lovely man with the slash through it and my people are back to complaining about no church and health care. It is expensive to fill the clinic up in the beginning.

ty for help
25-05-2010 06:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IronFist Offline
Religious Zealot

RE: Why do my people leave?
(25-05-2010 06:13 AM)ajedrez Wrote:  I apparently am missing something here. Its early in the game, my people need church and health care. I build the church and the clinic. I do not have a high school or college yet obviously.

I thought I was supposed to buy a foreign expert to run the place, but they regularly leave. I do not know where they go but you look back at the building after a few months and its empty again with that lovely man with the slash through it and my people are back to complaining about no church and health care. It is expensive to fill the clinic up in the beginning.

ty for help

Do you know if they are dying, emigrating, or switching jobs?

Capitalist (+++) Leader
Religious (+++)
Intellectual (++)
Nationalist (++)
Militarist (+)
Communist (-)
Environmentalist (--)
Loyalist (--)
25-05-2010 06:16 AM
ajedrez Offline

(25-05-2010 06:16 AM)IronFist Wrote:  
(25-05-2010 06:13 AM)ajedrez Wrote:  I apparently am missing something here. Its early in the game, my people need church and health care. I build the church and the clinic. I do not have a high school or college yet obviously.

ty for help

I do not know how to check why they left only I see that they are gone. Since its early in the game I'm guessing no to death? This has happened quite a few times to me Sad. I am failing on the back to the past mission in particular. Would like to know what are the factors that go into lowering population or losing that person from a job.
25-05-2010 06:24 AM
Turjan Offline

Different reasons are possible. Your wages might be too low. The experts might have to live in a shack if you didn't pay attention. They might be very religious, and your one early priest never has any space for them in the church. Healthcare might suck. Generals need a Cabaret. Your standing with their main factions might be too low.
25-05-2010 06:28 AM
ajedrez Offline

(25-05-2010 06:24 AM)ajedrez Wrote:  
(25-05-2010 06:16 AM)IronFist Wrote:  

ty for help

I do not know how to check why they left only I see that they are gone. Since its early in the game I'm guessing no to death? This has happened quite a few times to me Sad. I am failing on the back to the past mission in particular. Would like to know what are the factors that go into lowering population or losing that person from a job.

Hmm... I just checked and I have one college educated farmer now! Farmer is making $5 doctor was making $20. But clinic only hires males and this is female college educated farmer.

The thought panel shows that she just switched jobs to be a farmer like her father and that shes upset she cant get health care!
(25-05-2010 06:28 AM)Turjan Wrote:  Different reasons are possible. Your wages might be too low. The experts might have to live in a shack if you didn't pay attention. They might be very religious, and your one early priest never has any space for them in the church. Healthcare might suck. Generals need a Cabaret. Your standing with their main factions might be too low.

BTW thanks everyone for fast responses.

In this example I have built one farm, then I get option to build clinic so I built clinic, and immediately purchased the worker.

The educated farmer says shes homeless.

You suggest that if there is no church they may leave - does that mean I have to first build a church before the clinic? How does everyone else get it up and running? No one has the school in the beginning or the diplomatic deal to get foreign expert.
(This post was last modified: 25-05-2010 06:32 AM by ajedrez.)
25-05-2010 06:29 AM
Turjan Offline

(25-05-2010 06:29 AM)ajedrez Wrote:  The educated farmer says shes homeless.
You should always have at least some space in a nearby apartment building open before you hire the expert. If they have to live in a shack, they will be quickly gone.

Regarding the church, you have to look at what the expert wants when he arrives (btw, if you hire an expert for the clinic, this expert will be male). You have to look how important this aspect is for him. El Presidente can read minds, after all Smile.
(This post was last modified: 25-05-2010 06:54 AM by Turjan.)
25-05-2010 06:52 AM
Brendon Offline

One of the first things you should do is set up a diplomatic ministry so that you can get the aid camp, which gives out free food and healthcare and doesn't require any workers. This takes care of a lot of things in the beginning and is very helpful.
(This post was last modified: 25-05-2010 08:17 AM by Brendon.)
25-05-2010 08:17 AM
BlackXcalibur Offline
Generalissimo

You should expect a large number of emigrations early in the game, as it is hard to reach a decent level of overall happiness until the mid 1960's. However, there shouldn't really be any deaths occurring during this period of time (unless you are having them shot by your soldiers of course!). You should have a High School and College up and running by the mid 60's at the latest.

Original Tropico and Tropico 2 player. Keeping the Military Junta going strong since 2001.
26-05-2010 02:58 AM
Turjan Offline

(26-05-2010 02:58 AM)BlackXcalibur Wrote:  However, there shouldn't really be any deaths occurring during this period of time (unless you are having them shot by your soldiers of course!).
My Presidente likes to kill people by excruciatingly boring speeches. That's always a risk when trying to increase your reputation.
26-05-2010 03:07 AM
BlackXcalibur Offline
Generalissimo

(26-05-2010 03:07 AM)Turjan Wrote:  
(26-05-2010 02:58 AM)BlackXcalibur Wrote:  However, there shouldn't really be any deaths occurring during this period of time (unless you are having them shot by your soldiers of course!).
My Presidente likes to kill people by excruciatingly boring speeches. That's always a risk when trying to increase your reputation.

Same here! Big Grin

Original Tropico and Tropico 2 player. Keeping the Military Junta going strong since 2001.
26-05-2010 03:08 AM
daft Offline

Keep a roof over their heads(preferably not shanties), food in their bellies, medicine in the veins, and a place to call work(relatively close to their homes) and you SHOULD be fine, but things comes up. I have recently started with the starting farms(be sure to check almanac for farming grid), some form of cheap housing, and a clinic. I hire abroad to make sure and the doctor usually fills in w/in the year. Being that my settlement is still small the health problems are minimal if not there at all.

I'm not claiming the 'greatest way to start the game', but I have had a 100%, or really close, chance of Tropicans staying at home. I lose more settlers to old age early on..it's always been a mini-game for me to find the 'passed on' Tropican's..once I hear "argh!!" Big Grin

cheers daft
(This post was last modified: 27-05-2010 07:04 PM by daft.)
26-05-2010 07:06 PM
Sent by Royalty Offline

If your emigration is becoming too much of a main problem enough to affect your growing economy. I might suggest two things.

Go to your immigration office and select the "no one gets out of here alive", at least for a short time it should help you give you time to fix the solution, better for your citizens to work in an oppressive environment than being shot for trying to leave in the short run.

If food and health care(which due to an often low education beginning population) is also a problem and also money prevents you from hiring overseas professionals to work in your clinics, go to your diplomatic edicts and issue the Foreign Aid Camp, in the short run at least you have food and medical supplies being delivered while you work on trying to get those vital buildings set up. Try to do so quickly as the nationalists probably are only 2 or 3 years away from eventually turning into rebels.

Hope that helps
Sent by Royalty
(This post was last modified: 22-06-2010 03:42 PM by Sent by Royalty.)
22-06-2010 03:42 PM