Stuck at the launch screen (Steam Version) won't let me 'proceed' or log in.
marcelteaching Offline

Stuck at the launch screen (Steam Version) won't let me 'proceed' or log in.
I bought P4 from steam, and am stuck at the launcher stage.

At first I tried to register with an incorrect email (I spelled it
wrong),
I obviously did not get an activation email.
I then went forgot password and tried to get it sent to me, but it
'could not find' my email, obviously because I spelled it wrong.
I registered a new account, this time with the correct email, and
activated it successfully, but it is stuck at that screen, with the 'forgot password' still white, and the 'register new account and 'proceed' grey. It just sits there. Sad

What am I doing wrong, or does it not work because I first spelled my email address wrong I I have thus tried to use the serial number twice? Or should it not be happening as steam purchasers are not meant to be using the whole register for auto-updates thing?

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know, I am really looking forward to playing.

Edit : I did just 'validate the game files, ' via the local files tab in steam, and it tells me '1 files failed to validate and will be reacquired'.
It does so, and then the launch screen pops up again. It has Kalypso Launcher 1.1.0.0 at the bottom and has 'install update' and 'skip' at the bottom, but the 'skip' is blacked out, forcing me to install the update. It disappears, then returns as Launcher 1.1.1.3 and Patrician 1.1.3.2 with 'news' and a changelog, but there is no way to get into the actual game. When I put in my email and password, it blanks out 'register new account' and 'proceed' and just sits there. Then Steam has the nerve to tell me I have been playing for '93 minutes so far' lol! Any suggestions?

I also uninstalled / deleted / reinstalled, still no joy. In my mind, it seems to be a failure to accept my username and password, although they are RIGHT - so what does that leave? A key that doesn't work / is registered to the wrong (non existing) email address?!
(This post was last modified: 24-09-2010 10:45 AM by marcelteaching.)
24-09-2010 09:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Basvv85 Offline

RE: Stuck at the launch screen (Steam Version) won't let me 'proceed' or log in.
Try deleting C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Kalypso Media. The launcher gets your login details from that location.
24-09-2010 12:10 PM
marcelteaching Offline

RE: Stuck at the launch screen (Steam Version) won't let me 'proceed' or log in.
Thanks Basvv85, but that directory does not exist on my PC. Perhaps because I have the steam version? Thanks for trying though.
24-09-2010 01:10 PM
pshawny Offline

It's a hidden folder. Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders
24-09-2010 01:13 PM
marcelteaching Offline

"Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders"

Already set. Definitely not there, no such directory.

Windows XP, GT8800 Video Card, latest Nvidia drivers
24-09-2010 01:20 PM
Bagaluth Offline
old patrician addict

If you don't use the c: root, have a look at the other discdrives.

I don't use c: for the user/appdata and some other user related folders. That first confuses the software of P4, but after two attempts i found it. And it was not on the partition it should have been.

[Image: avatar_gm_buddy.png]
"There is nothing more horrible than a won battle. Except a lost one." (Wellington after Waterloo)
24-09-2010 02:32 PM
Timo Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

Just use Windows-Key+R, enter "%appdata%\Kalypso Media\Patrician 4" (no quotes)

You should also contact support@kalypsomedia.com, state your registered E-Mail address and Product Key so we can investigate the issue.

El Presidente on Twitter | Tropico 5 Steam Community | Tropico on Facebook
(This post was last modified: 24-09-2010 04:58 PM by Timo.)
24-09-2010 04:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
marcelteaching Offline

Yes, I found the directory and the launcher configuration file, thank you Timo, that did the trick.

It prompted me for the serial, which I put in, then asked me for my email and password and presto - I'm back where I started. Sad

Still no fix. I have sent 3 emails so far to kalypso support, including with my serial email and the whole story, still no answer.

I don't want to cause trouble, I just want to sail and trade and maybe blow some pirates up. Sad HHHEEEEEELLLLPPPP Kalypso! It's been 3 days since I emailed and no response and steam confirm it is a Kalypso issue not a steam issue, help me! Sad((
26-09-2010 01:13 PM
Timo Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

Are you getting an error message after logging in? Did you create a new account already and confirmed your email address via the activation email sent to you?

(This post was last modified: 26-09-2010 01:30 PM by Timo.)
26-09-2010 01:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
marcelteaching Offline

If logging in is meant to do something (like I guess proceeding to the game) it does not happen for me.

Account was created and confirmed.

I also tried changing the password.
What I think MAY have happened is that when I INITIALLY registered, it prompted me for my CDkey. This Wrong email address (although it was never activated) was then 'attached' to the cdkey. So when I registered a new account, it thinks I am doubling up on the cdkey. Is this possible?
(This post was last modified: 26-09-2010 09:45 PM by marcelteaching.)
26-09-2010 09:32 PM
Jacqvern Offline

(26-09-2010 09:32 PM)marcelteaching Wrote:  If logging in is meant to do something (like I guess proceeding to the game) it does not happen for me.

Account was created and confirmed.

I also tried changing the password.
What I think MAY have happened is that when I INITIALLY registered, it prompted me for my CDkey. This Wrong email address (although it was never activated) was then 'attached' to the cdkey. So when I registered a new account, it thinks I am doubling up on the cdkey. Is this possible?

Hi Marcel,

Let me suggest something. When at launching screen, click on Forgot Password and see what the e-mail that you'll receive says. (If you can't click on it, cause it keeps password from memory, delete the dots and click "forgot password" afterwards) Maybe that e-mail, will provide more info about your account. Then we'll see.
Smile
26-09-2010 10:44 PM
marcelteaching Offline

Yes. Already done that. My account is FINE. The issue is with the fact that my cd-key is registered to the first account and that Kalypso apparently links the keys to emails before they are even activated successfully. Either that, or I am barking up the wrong tree and it is something different.

But I can change the password etc.. without a problem.
26-09-2010 10:48 PM
Jacqvern Offline

(26-09-2010 10:48 PM)marcelteaching Wrote:  Yes. Already done that. My account is FINE. The issue is with the fact that my cd-key is registered to the first account and that Kalypso apparently links the keys to emails before they are even activated successfully. Either that, or I am barking up the wrong tree and it is something different.

But I can change the password etc.. without a problem.

Well, I hoped that maybe the e-mail with the password, would state something through which you could check if the CD Key is associated with your current e-mail.

The CD Key is written in the Documents and Settings/"username"/Application Data/Kalypso Media/Patrician 4/launcher (configuration settings file)
Open it by double click and check the CD Key
Also in the and Settings/"username"/Application Data/Kalypso Media/Launcher there is a file "launcher" which states e-mail account, forgot that.
(This post was last modified: 26-09-2010 11:00 PM by Jacqvern.)
26-09-2010 10:59 PM
marcelteaching Offline

Thanks Jacqvern. I wish there were some way to see if the key is associated with the address. Unfortunately, I think Kalypso 'linked it' with the dodgy one, even though it is of course, not activated. I'm thinking that it won't let me proceed because 'the key is already registered'. bah. How annoying.

In this case of course, there is nothing anyone can do. Kalypso will need to manually attach my key to my email or assign me a new CD key (As I have no way of accessing the original email anyway).

Unless there is another reason why it won't let me continue?
26-09-2010 11:29 PM
Jacqvern Offline

(26-09-2010 11:29 PM)marcelteaching Wrote:  Thanks Jacqvern. I wish there were some way to see if the key is associated with the address. Unfortunately, I think Kalypso 'linked it' with the dodgy one, even though it is of course, not activated. I'm thinking that it won't let me proceed because 'the key is already registered'. bah. How annoying.

In this case of course, there is nothing anyone can do. Kalypso will need to manually attach my key to my email or assign me a new CD key (As I have no way of accessing the original email anyway).

Unless there is another reason why it won't let me continue?

But I just told you the way in the previous post Smile That is why I told you to check those two files. The first states the CD Key and the second states the e-mail and Password. And there you have your answer.
26-09-2010 11:34 PM
marcelteaching Offline

Obviously the cdkey and the connected account details are held by Kalypso.

I do have a Steam version, so C:\Documents and Settings\Marcel\Application Data\Kalypso Media\Patrician 4 contains launcher.ini it contains
[styx user]
cdkey=The CDKey

Kalypso, as a copy protection issue likely prevented anyone just putting an a valid cd-key, forcing a single cdkey to link to a single email account, which must be logged into. The issue is not on my PC it seems, but rests with the Kalypso database.

Perhaps your right, but I have not found a file that holds my email.
26-09-2010 11:43 PM
Jacqvern Offline

(26-09-2010 11:43 PM)marcelteaching Wrote:  Obviously the cdkey and the connected account details are held by Kalypso.

I do have a Steam version, so C:\Documents and Settings\Marcel\Application Data\Kalypso Media\Patrician 4 contains launcher.ini it contains
[styx user]
cdkey=The CDKey

Kalypso, as a copy protection issue likely prevented anyone just putting an a valid cd-key, forcing a single cdkey to link to a single email account, which must be logged into. The issue is not on my PC it seems, but rests with the Kalypso database.

Perhaps your right, but I have not found a file that holds my email.

The C:\Documents and Settings\Marcel\Application Data\Kalypso Media folder where you found the Patrician 4 folder, should have another folder called Launcher. In that folder, there should be a file, with the same name, "launcher". That should state login="e-mail account" and Password=whatever the password is stated.
So the 2nd file "launcher" should be in C:\Documents and Settings\Marcel\Application Data\Kalypso Media\Launcher
27-09-2010 12:05 AM
marcelteaching Offline

Nothing there I'm afraid.
C:\Documents and Settings\Marcel\Application Data\Kalypso Media contains one directory only, patrician 4, in which is a single joyous file. Smile - launcher.ini

lol
27-09-2010 01:30 AM
Timo Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

There appears to be nothing wrong with the launcher, but the game just wouldn't start. You can click 'Play Patrician IV' in the launcher and then it crashes, right?

27-09-2010 08:28 AM
marcelteaching Offline

'Play Patrician IV' never even appears. It stays stuck on the login page. The only thing that seems to suggest moving forward is proceed, which does nothing when you click on it.
27-09-2010 08:38 AM
Timo Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

Please disable any software running in the background as it appears that some application is meddling with the launcher.

27-09-2010 08:44 AM
marcelteaching Offline

OK. I'm now playing.

Thanks to your message Timo, I reinstalled it on another machine, that rungs Windows 7. I put in my email and password. I then just hit enter. It worked. I hated you for being right. Now I had to try and find what program was interfering on the other PC.

I went back, and did exactly the same thing, entered my email and passwork and then just hit enter. Guess what? It worked.

Why? It was because I JUST HIT ENTER after putting in the email and password and not entering my email and password and then CLICKING PROCEED.

That horrible proceed button. If you push it, even with the right email and password, it just sits there.

WHY?

At least I'm playing. Smile
27-09-2010 12:33 PM
Timo Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

I'm still convinced that there is some software conflict preventing the launcher from functioning normally.

27-09-2010 01:14 PM
marcelteaching Offline

I think you may be right. I wish we could narrow it down a little more. The 'play' button never appears, it launches straight from an enter stroke, but that is it.
27-09-2010 02:07 PM
Timo Offline
Kalypso Media
Administrators

Do you have any buttons at all in the launcher window? Did you check if the required version of .net Framework 3.5 SP1 is properly installed?

27-09-2010 03:28 PM
marcelteaching Offline

'Forgot Password' 'Register New Account' and 'Proceed' are there. When I hit proceed, after a few seconds delay, the 'Register New Account' and 'Proceed' are darkened out.

As said, if I just hit enter, although the 'Play Patrician' button never appears.

I have just upgraded to and installed the .net framework 4.0
27-09-2010 09:25 PM
toasteur Offline

(27-09-2010 09:25 PM)marcelteaching Wrote:  I have just upgraded to and installed the .net framework 4.0

doesn't work that way sadly Smile

framework 4 is a new runtime like installing vc++2008 runtime when vc++ 2005 are needed.
if the application is targeted at 3.5, the best you can have for it is an up-to-date 3.5 version (3.5 SP1 + hotfixes provided by windows update)
29-09-2010 08:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | kalypso media :: website | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication