Patrician IV Bug Reports Thread (Version 1.3 only!)
(24-12-2010, 04:42 PM)Ertaan Wrote:
(22-12-2010, 07:44 PM)billyplod Wrote: Very minor issue but it has been flagged elsewhere.

Blutch Wrote:
Same problem.
I launch the game in 1.3, I can see Kalypso and Games minds video.
I can see the home page but behind the menu I have go a square with 'img" inside.

I think the Rainbow square with :IMG is a graphic call gone wrong. I have it too - no game effect at all. Looks like a place holder for a image that the code can't find or is mis spelt.

Hello,

I have the same "IMG:" thing above the main menu options (after all patches are installed). What could be the problem? Is any solution?

Thx!

Most likely it has to do with what's already reported in this post, found at the first page of this thread.

Thorin Smile
Hack seinen Kopf ab. Ich brauche einen Aschenbecher!
(24-12-2010, 05:41 PM)Thorin Oakshield Wrote:
(24-12-2010, 04:42 PM)Ertaan Wrote:
(22-12-2010, 07:44 PM)billyplod Wrote: Very minor issue but it has been flagged elsewhere.

Blutch Wrote:
Same problem.
I launch the game in 1.3, I can see Kalypso and Games minds video.
I can see the home page but behind the menu I have go a square with 'img" inside.

I think the Rainbow square with :IMG is a graphic call gone wrong. I have it too - no game effect at all. Looks like a place holder for a image that the code can't find or is mis spelt.

Hello,

I have the same "IMG:" thing above the main menu options (after all patches are installed). What could be the problem? Is any solution?

Thx!

Most likely it has to do with what's already reported in this post, found at the first page of this thread.

Thorin Smile

Ok Wink So the fix will be in the next patch...BTW: Merry Christmas! Smile
(22-12-2010, 03:09 AM)bottefede Wrote: No, I think that the problem with this patch, regarding automatic trade route, are these:

1 - this is the biggest problem in my opinion. With this patch I can't save trade route. It is very very annoying. Nobody of you has this problem?

2 - when you plan a trade route and your convoy isn't in the first city of the route should appear the error and the trade route doesn't work. I've noticed that the convoy try to do the action formulate for the first city of the route in the city where it is at the start of the trade route (when you click on the checkbox).
For example: my convoy is at Visby. I order it to do a trade route starting from Aalborg, boarding 50 salts. Now, when I click on the checkbox to start the trade route there are two possibility
A) if there are 50 salts in visby, the convoy board them and then it starts to do the route in the correct way (boarding salts at Aalborg).
B) if there isn't any salts in visby, the game give the error and the trade route doesn't start, in spite of there are 50 salts in Aalborg.

I hope I've been clear in my explanation, in spite of my bad english.

Please tell me if these are only my problems or if you have the same ones.

I've encountered the same problem.
I got a ship at Lubeck, planning a route starting from Stettin to Stockholm, after clicking the square, it load the goods at Lubeck instead of Stettin. Sad
The "low" setting for the pirate activity has no obvious change or is still too active. I still have to spend a lot of my time killing pirates and it is too repetitive.

Would it be possible to have an option to make roaming pirates disappear once and for all?
I believe that this has not been previously posted. When I send an expedition and it returns, the location that I have explored is indicated on the expedition map. So now I know what has been explored and what has not. At some point during the game, this information is lost, and I do not have a record of where I have previously been (ie. the map is completely blank, except for the 'active' trading ports). I have restarted the game several times (and by this I mean from fresh beginning) and it is always happening to me... Anyone else find this?
Installed the 1.3 hotfix from Gamersgate and the issue with the "colored box + img" above the menu is fixed.
However I still get the error shown in the screenshot at the first page of this thread.

And yes, game still can be played after clicking OK at that screen.
So it's not a "biggie", but it's anoying.

Thorin Smile
One I just remembered, though have seen it shortly after patching with the GG 1.3 hotfix:

- Pirate fleets are "still" able to sail up river using Cogs.

Thorin Smile
Not sure if it's a bug/glitch or if it has something to do with this newest patch, but one of the cities got the plague and the picture of the plague displaying(video on the left) wouldn't leave even after the plague was gone. It went away after I restarted the game, but still it was strange seeing a death man laying under a cover all the time.
what you want isn't always what you need and what you get isn't always what you want, deal with it!
[Image: http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i92/NDebN/sig1.jpg]
Pretty please, Don’t you ever, ever feel like you're less than perfect
Is an NVidia 6150SE nForce 430 known to have any problems with the game? My game is a bit slow to react, but, otherwise, runs fine. I'd like to speed it up a little, if I could.
If it helps, I've got: Vista 64-bit PC with AMD Phenom 9150e quad core, 3966 MB RAM, DirectX 11 with DirectX 9 installed alongside. Video driver dated 10/16/2010 version 8.17.0012.6099.
I've turned down the graphics options from high to low and I detect no performance change and don't really notice a change in graphic quality, strangely enough. Any advice?
Edit: It's the Steam version.
(31-12-2010, 06:17 AM)bellagoth Wrote: Is an NVidia 6150SE nForce 430 known to have any problems with the game? My game is a bit slow to react, but, otherwise, runs fine. I'd like to speed it up a little, if I could.
If it helps, I've got: Vista 64-bit PC with AMD Phenom 9150e quad core, 3966 MB RAM, DirectX 11 with DirectX 9 installed alongside. Video driver dated 10/16/2010 version 8.17.0012.6099.
I've turned down the graphics options from high to low and I detect no performance change and don't really notice a change in graphic quality, strangely enough. Any advice?

Microsoft may disagree but VISTA is a bit system resource intensive, so is "slow" in some respects. Slow being a comparative term, the Operating System response can cause applications to appear to run "slower" on occassion. Particularly "real time" - Patrician qualifies has the action is linear and not turn based, these applications are mostly games.
Things that may help.
Tidy up:-
1. Run the STEAM application that defrags game files. Go to your game library on STEAM and right click Patrician - select properties - LOCAL FILES tab and then the DEFRAG option.

2. DEFRAG your local hard discs.

3. If you can, move your Windows pagefile to a different harddisc to the one where you Operating System is installed. If WINDOWS is on C: move the page file to a different HD (harddisc). One that isn't C: - typically put it on your "fastest" drive.

4. Automatic pagefile management will allocate 1.5 x your installed RAM - so yours should be 6 Gb - you can put it up to 8GB - or twice your installed RAM.
I agree about Vista, but my XP Pro computer is a laptop that won't allow more current drivers than 2007 (proprietary rights on the GPU?, must be installed from manufacturer, good customer service, bad attitude about video performance needs). I'm stuck using Vista for this game, for better or worse.
1. Steam says the game is 0% defragmented.
2. C is defragged weekly and D checks out OK.
3. It's over my head, but in checking the properties of D, it says "this device does not have the required performance characteristics for use in speeding up your system" so I suspect it's too slow to move the pagefile to D. Since I don't know what I'm talking about, though, I could be wrong. Thought I should answer back before I try it anyway and break something.
4. I tried manually setting the pagefile management. Would the size I set for minimum cause any issues? I have 4 GB RAM, so I'm putting the max at 8000 MB, and minimum at 100 MB - until someone slaps some sense into me and tells me what I've done wrong.

I don't notice any performance change. For example, the time it takes for a button to become active when I hover the mouse, when I grab the city to rotate and move around, when I scroll down in any interface, etc., it's not instant. I have set all graphic options to off except full screen is on, shader and decoration on low, and changed the detail setting to compare, assuming the detail level is what is causing the lag.
Very high detail: 6 seconds before the camera moves, and unplayable due to impossible wait times for button clicking, even longer wait time for interface windows to respond.
High detail: 4 seconds to move, 6 seconds for buttons to become active when hovering, and playable but not enjoyable
Medium detail: 2 seconds for camera movement, 4 seconds for interface windows to respond, the first playable setting but the lag is annoying
Low detail: 1.5 seconds, still takes longer for interface windows to respond
Very low detail: 1 second to move around the city or buttons to become active when hovering, looks blurry and still takes >2 seconds for interface windows to respond.

Are any of the settings likely to cause a conflict with my NVidia software? I had assumed it would be shaders or shadows, but tweaking those didn't seem to matter.
Also, the RESET only resets to my last chosen settings. How do I reset to where the computer and game automatically decided the best settings for my system?
Thank you very much for your help.
If your VISTA machine is a laptop then check to see if you have an external monitor configured on it -VISTA had a problem in that it trys to access external video devices before the in built screen which gave the type of delay you describe. If your using an external monitor with the laptop try the game using just the in built laptop screen.

On the pagefile question -that's fine -
Pagefile size will expand up to maximum depending on how much you have running. I assume that when you play it's the only "application" you are using - except a STEAM client.

One other thing to look at is the mouse configuration - the old "do you have the latest drivers" is relevant - BUT check the mouse configuration in Control Panel to see if you have any in built delay settings that are causing problems - unlikely but worth a quick look.

Then the last thing I can suggest is that you use NVIDA CONTROL PANEL to "Tune" your system.
If you right click the desktop you should have an OPtion "NVIDA CONTROL PANEL" - if not go to the Nvida web site and download it, for your system. There are various options to tune the "system" for the video card / output.

It's a PC. I checked the monitor settings when I was trying to tweak the system settings and NVidia control panel settings. Hadn't checked on the mouse, but that looks to be okay too. It's the only application I have running, and everything nonessential is disabled at startup. I even tried running the game with Steam shut down, just to see if it made a difference, because I saw in Steam's support forums a problem with other NVidia cards and "some games". Having Steam running or not in the background didn't matter. I do have Norton Internet Security running (always-on internet connection) and don't want to disable that, but I've never had a problem with this before running other games. There's always a first, I suppose. Any known problems with P4 vs Norton?
Thanks again for all your good suggestions and help. Smile
Trade route convoys skips ports blockaded by the player.
I would to show you this problem (it isn't a bug, but an imperfection of the gameplay.. a big imperfection I think)

I'm Lubeck's mayor. I've built about 12 tower to defend my city. They work very well (with the upgrade) and the treasure of the city is very rich.

So, why mayors of the other cities don't use this useful defending instrument? When these cities are under a siege they always are defeat. I know that I can suggest to the council to build a tower, but why they don't take the initiative on their own?

And moreover, in the next patch, it would be possible to try to attach the duke ruler of the area, in order to not be subjected to his attacks anymore?
This is a really awkward bug and there appears to be no workaround that I can find - here is the scenario.

If I produce wood in location A, and need use it in location B as raw materials in a production facility, then the trade ship is setup as follows:

Load 101 items of wood from A, travel to B and unload 99 items of wood.

The result is that the ship picks up 101 items from A, travels to B drops everything off momentarily then picks up 101 items and travels back to A - the result of which is that I never actually transport from one storage facility to another!

Furthermore, I also have a ship moving wood, raw metals and brick (in that order on the trade window) from A to B and the raw metals and brick are dropped off correctly.
(03-01-2011, 10:14 PM)ma8yr Wrote: This is a really awkward bug and there appears to be no workaround that I can find - here is the scenario.

If I produce wood in location A, and need use it in location B as raw materials in a production facility, then the trade ship is setup as follows:

The result is that the ship picks up 101 items from A, travels to B drops everything off momentarily then picks up 101 items and travels back to A - the result of which is that I never actually transport from one storage facility to another!

Furthermore, I also have a ship moving wood, raw metals and brick (in that order on the trade window) from A to B and the raw metals and brick are dropped off correctly.

Question: Have you checked if you aren't accidently loading goods at B as well??

It could be the amount is set to load, since the routes are unloading / selling first, and buying / loading after that.

Thorin Smile

When configuring a ship to "load" from here and "unload" there, the interface dialog doesnt correctly display.

ie. If you tell a ship to travel between Lubeck and Oslo, click the trade window and tell it to "load" 100 items of wood, then click Oslo and toggle the "trade mode" to unload 100 items of wood. If you then click back on Lubeck it's trying to "unload" there too! (ie. do the same as Oslo, almost as if the dialog is not updating with the Lubeck instructions).

Additionally, it would be great if the unload/load aspect was on a per resource basis because its currently impossible with the current interface for one ship to load resource 1,2 and 3 and drop off resource a, b and c at the same port/city.
(03-01-2011, 10:24 PM)Thorin Oakshield Wrote:
(03-01-2011, 10:14 PM)ma8yr Wrote: This is a really awkward bug and there appears to be no workaround that I can find - here is the scenario.

Question: Have you checked if you aren't accidently loading goods at B as well??

It could be the amount is set to load, since the routes are unloading / selling first, and buying / loading after that.

Thorin Smile

Thanks for the suggestion, however (afaik) the interface doesnt allow you to "load" in the same city as you're "unloading" so I dont believe this is the issue.

It's almost as if the storehouse is "global" rather than on a per city basis. so the rule whereby it picks up 101 items from storage (when the ship is at A) is also causing it to pickup 101 items from storage when at B.

(03-01-2011, 10:29 PM)ma8yr Wrote: When configuring a ship to "load" from here and "unload" there, the interface dialog doesnt correctly display.

ie. If you tell a ship to travel between Lubeck and Oslo, click the trade window and tell it to "load" 100 items of wood, then click Oslo and toggle the "trade mode" to unload 100 items of wood. If you then click back on Lubeck it's trying to "unload" there too! (ie. do the same as Oslo, almost as if the dialog is not updating with the Lubeck instructions).

Additionally, it would be great if the unload/load aspect was on a per resource basis because its currently impossible with the current interface for one ship to load resource 1,2 and 3 and drop off resource a, b and c at the same port/city.
(03-01-2011, 10:24 PM)Thorin Oakshield Wrote:

Thorin Smile

Thanks for the suggestion, however (afaik) the interface doesnt allow you to "load" in the same city as you're "unloading" so I dont believe this is the issue.

It's almost as if the storehouse is "global" rather than on a per city basis. so the rule whereby it picks up 101 items from storage (when the ship is at A) is also causing it to pickup 101 items from storage when at B.

Ah - I've been an idiot. Thanks for making me look closer "Thorin". The interface does indeed allow you to unload the load the same good in a city, it was my understanding that it just did what the dialog showed last.

And you were correct that I had goods loading in city B also...

.. I think I should sheepishly back away from raising "faults" ;-D

(03-01-2011, 06:57 PM)bottefede Wrote: ...
And moreover, in the next patch, it would be possible to try to attach the duke ruler of the area, in order to not be subjected to his attacks anymore?

No.

This is a feature I wanted to have ("I want to knock at the ruler's gate with a battering ram, just to say "Thank You" for his last visit in my city." Big Grin ), but it was canceled because this game would rather become a warsim than a tradesim. Another reason was that there would have been too many things to be implemented (e.g. places for the rules to live at, including graphics, sounds etc.).
Enjoy the Night
Nachtschatten

Die letzte Stimme, die man hört, bevor die Welt explodiert, wird die Stimme eines Experten sein, der sagt: „Das ist technisch unmöglich.“
(Peter Ustinov)
(03-01-2011, 06:57 PM)bottefede Wrote: I'm Lubeck's mayor. I've built about 12 tower to defend my city. They work very well (with the upgrade) and the treasure of the city is very rich.

So, why mayors of the other cities don't use this useful defending instrument? When these cities are under a siege they always are defeat. I know that I can suggest to the council to build a tower, but why they don't take the initiative on their own?

You can go to the townhall and vote for the tower. If you spend enough money, the city will build one tower...
Of course it will take a lot of time to let the citiies build each 12 towers in that way, but it is possible.imho it does not make sense to start this before the wall is on max size, even you have got too much money! Wink

Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
[Image: http://imghost4you.com/images/46.png]
Big Grin
(04-01-2011, 02:14 AM)Nachtschatten Wrote: This is a feature I wanted to have ("I want to knock at the ruler's gate with a battering ram, just to say "Thank You" for his last visit in my city." Big Grin

LOL@Nachtschatten
I will be chuckling to myself all day after reading this. Coworkers will wonder what I've gotten up to.Big Grin

I'm glad I was able to light up your day!

Big GrinCoolBig Grin
Enjoy the Night
Nachtschatten

Die letzte Stimme, die man hört, bevor die Welt explodiert, wird die Stimme eines Experten sein, der sagt: „Das ist technisch unmöglich.“
(Peter Ustinov)
(31-12-2010, 06:17 AM)bellagoth Wrote: Is an NVidia 6150SE nForce 430 known to have any problems with the game? My game is a bit slow to react, but, otherwise, runs fine. I'd like to speed it up a little, if I could.

Saw you mention this card and sluggish game play in another thread and thought it'd be best to reply in this one. Simply put steam's broad claim that '6' series cards are good enough for this game or any other is pretty unreliable. Nvidia and ATI release various designs in series but within each series is a whole hierarchy of 'power' going from low to high and the over all abilities of each card are better compared to others of different series in the same rankings. Ie a geforce 6200 is comparable to a 7200 but both would still be smoked by a 6800. The lower end of each series is more meant for very basic graphics displays for office computers and the like (no matter what nvidia's marketing team tries to say) meanwhile the higher end *800s are the premium gaming versions of the series. So a 6150 falls pretty low on the pole so I wouldn't consider it a valid gaming card at all even when it was brand new.

Now P4 doesn't strike me as the sort of game that really needs that much horsepower but it could benefit from a more gaming inclined card then the 6150. However: The 6150 is 2005 tech, how'd you end up with a computer that uses it and a phenom? I'm skeptical that both would or even could end up in the same hardware configuration. Either way if its a desktop you have then there is a good chance its got a PCIe or even an AGP port that you could install a real video card and even a much older/cheaper gaming-grade card could run laps around this one and not cost a whole lot of money.
@BumpInTheNight
Thank you for the good explanation. Wish I'd talked to someone like you about a year and a half ago. I bought this PC new in July 2009 when Sims3 came out, and mainly for that reason. I trusted my friend who builds computers for a living, and he insists I don't need anything better, even though I protest. Guess I'm going to have to buckle down and take this thing apart myself one of these days. Hope the explosion doesn't zap the whole forum when I do it! Thanks again.
(06-01-2011, 06:10 AM)bellagoth Wrote: @BumpInTheNight
Thank you for the good explanation. Wish I'd talked to someone like you about a year and a half ago. I bought this PC new in July 2009 when Sims3 came out, and mainly for that reason. I trusted my friend who builds computers for a living, and he insists I don't need anything better, even though I protest. Guess I'm going to have to buckle down and take this thing apart myself one of these days. Hope the explosion doesn't zap the whole forum when I do it! Thanks again.

You're welcome, I do want to say though that the rest of the computer sounds like its built with pretty good parts, a phenom with 4gb of ram running a vista/64 is a solid platform(ignore the hater-fud, vista 64 is perfectly fine as a gaming OS and I used it for years), you just need a dedicated video card and it'd be quite the gaming rig. From what I gather the 6150 is the integrated video solution on nforce 4 based motherboards and fortunately it looks like they typically do have a PCIe slot for adding in video cards. So really you're only limit is budget vs power supply's max ability (usually not a big factor) vs any potential size restrictions from the PC's case (low possibility but it can be annoying to discover one just won't quite fit due to a particularly compact design). If it puts you at ease the act of installing a video card is pretty straight forward, its picking one to buy that's tricky.

Btw I'm familiar with The Sims 3 since I recently got it for my girlfriend and yah its an even more video hungry game then P4, her computer has two 7800GTXes and they can't play it at its best settings so yah you'll want something reasonably more modern to let it shine.

Drop me a PM if you're looking for any particular advice on the topic, building systems is also what I do for a living and as an avid gamer I try to keep in touch with all things relevant to my trade. Wink
When doing constructions, can I use my own woods and bricks stored in the warehouse?? Why should I buy them from the market everytime?
(06-01-2011, 08:39 AM)modelsmall Wrote: When doing constructions, can I use my own woods and bricks stored in the warehouse?? Why should I buy them from the market everytime?
The short answer is no, you can't use your own, the game is designed in such a way that we must sell our wood, bricks, etc. to the market in sufficient quantity to cover construction needs. Here is the post about this, with all the information you could ever hope to learn about it, and a poll if you want to express your opinion. Smile http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=6636
(06-01-2011, 06:29 AM)BumpInTheNight Wrote: You're welcome....you just need a dedicated video card and it'd be quite the gaming rig. From what I gather the 6150 is the integrated video solution on nforce 4 based motherboards and fortunately it looks like they typically do have a PCIe slot for adding in video cards. So really you're only limit is budget vs power supply's max ability (usually not a big factor) vs any potential size restrictions from the PC's case (low possibility but it can be annoying to discover one just won't quite fit due to a particularly compact design). If it puts you at ease the act of installing a video card is pretty straight forward, its picking one to buy that's tricky.

Btw I'm familiar with The Sims 3 since I recently got it for my girlfriend and yah its an even more video hungry game then P4, her computer has two 7800GTXes and they can't play it at its best settings so yah you'll want something reasonably more modern to let it shine.

Drop me a PM if you're looking for any particular advice on the topic, building systems is also what I do for a living and as an avid gamer I try to keep in touch with all things relevant to my trade. Wink

Thanks for the offer, I will PM you. However, might not be for awhile. I've been window shopping ever since I read your response 3 hours ago, and it looks like a very expensive project, even if I don't blow up my PC.

p.s. I have built very crowded cities and worlds packed full of things in Sims 3 at quite high settings, but it works great. Only just ran into trouble with P4. Your girlfriend's gonna have a great time with it!Smile
(06-01-2011, 09:23 AM)bellagoth Wrote:
(06-01-2011, 06:29 AM)BumpInTheNight Wrote: You're welcome....you just need a dedicated video card and it'd be quite the gaming rig. From what I gather the 6150 is the integrated video solution on nforce 4 based motherboards and fortunately it looks like they typically do have a PCIe slot for adding in video cards. So really you're only limit is budget vs power supply's max ability (usually not a big factor) vs any potential size restrictions from the PC's case (low possibility but it can be annoying to discover one just won't quite fit due to a particularly compact design). If it puts you at ease the act of installing a video card is pretty straight forward, its picking one to buy that's tricky.

Thanks for the offer, I will PM you. However, might not be for awhile. I've been window shopping ever since I read your response 3 hours ago, and it looks like a very expensive project, even if I don't blow up my PC.

p.s. I have built very crowded cities and worlds packed full of things in Sims 3 at quite high settings, but it works great. Only just ran into trouble with P4. Your girlfriend's gonna have a great time with it!Smile

You know a new video card doesn't have to be so expensive, well a store close to where I live they build computers and so on. They can install a good card for not that much money and I'm sure there will be such a store close to you too(they are everywhere o.o) the biggest problem is what do you want from the card and how long do you want to use it. Because if you are fine with how things are running now then you don't have to update the card much, but do you want a long term thing then I suggest spending more money XD But what can I say I'm no expert ._.;
what you want isn't always what you need and what you get isn't always what you want, deal with it!
[Image: http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i92/NDebN/sig1.jpg]
Pretty please, Don’t you ever, ever feel like you're less than perfect
I have read elsewhere in the forums that a captain WILL NOT gain experience from fighting pirates on "automatic" mode and I believe strongly that this is dead wrong. I would like to see in patch 1.4 this corrected. Otherwise patch 1.3 makes the game much more playable and realistic--a good job done by all!! And kudos to Steam for getting the patch out in a very timely manner!Wink
Basically in patch 1.3 I will improve the combat skill by the trainers at Reval, in the early stage of the game.
The cost of raising skill from trainers depends on ur rank and wealth, so if you pay them at early stage of your game, the money is minimized.

For example, I will buy as soon as I can a crayer after starting a new game, then creat a convoy. (Here you can see the combat skill of your new captain, it will be perfect if he already got "3" for combat, but it's really rare, I will take the captain if he got "2" for combat. If "1" or "0", I will re-load the game and build the convoy again until I got better combat captain.)

Then take the convoy to Reval to sit, normally for a coupon of days, the trainer appears at tavern and the cost of improving your captain could be less than $10000. Hey it's really cheap for raising the captain! Then 4 days again (Not sure if it's exactly 4 days, but should be around 4-5 days), the trainer appears and the cost to upgrade from combat 3 to 4 could be less than $20000.

I keep doing this at EARLY stage of the game to train 3-4 captain with combat skill 5, then it's enough for later stage of the game already. The most important thing is, with a combat skill 5 captain, I can (not a must, but some probability) use 3 fully-armed crayers to beat Holgerson and capture a Cog! With the first Cog easily, you can hunt the pirates and capture their ships and win every auto battle. So I normally set pirates activities to highest, so that I have pirates to hunt Smile

But afterall, I set "normal" difficulty of the game, will try other levels later.