Patrician IV Bug Reports Thread (Version 1.3 only!)
Okay, I've only just bought the game & I'm guessing this isn't really a bug but it is very annoying:

All of the really handy tool tips appear underneath my cursor! Just so perfectly placed as to be unreadable in some cases and very difficult to read in others.

Bug or not... It really ought to be fixed!
(09-01-2011, 11:37 PM)3vangelica Wrote: Okay, I've only just bought the game & I'm guessing this isn't really a bug but it is very annoying:

All of the really handy tool tips appear underneath my cursor! Just so perfectly placed as to be unreadable in some cases and very difficult to read in others.

Bug or not... It really ought to be fixed!

huh? explain a bit more, maybe a screenshot would be nice ^^
what you want isn't always what you need and what you get isn't always what you want, deal with it!
[Image: http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i92/NDebN/sig1.jpg]
Pretty please, Don’t you ever, ever feel like you're less than perfect
That should be a single problem of yourself (never mind! Wink ). Most of the people have played the game in the 1.0 version without any technical problems. May be some features are missing in the first version, but the developers deliver a lot of stuff with the patches. And "the worst software"? you haven't played any other pc-game before, have you? Big Grin (or using Windows as OS Cool )

There are a lot of people here, which would be glad to help you with your problem if you give us some more details, but i expect you as a "One-post-never-come-back"! Surprise me! Wink
Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
[Image: http://imghost4you.com/images/46.png]
HI, I bought my game from a store and have tried to update it on windows 7 - it asks if i want to download update of 162.73mb... goes through the whole download until 100% and then says can't install due to missing parts and nowhere to put the update (or something like that) I have gone through this process 5 or more times and am very frustrated now! Please help!
Bug - after Christmas update, during play, very early in the game, I currently have a log entry of pirates blocking access to Scarborough, but I cannot find any there after 4 game weeks looking. I did find another 3 Cog pirate guarding the entrance to the unyet founded Stayanger. Prior to the upgrade, always found pirate at the city being blocked.

Sail ON!
(18-01-2011, 06:35 PM)Man of the C Wrote: Bug - after Christmas update, during play, very early in the game, I currently have a log entry of pirates blocking access to Scarborough, but I cannot find any there after 4 game weeks looking. I did find another 3 Cog pirate guarding the entrance to the unyet founded Stayanger. Prior to the upgrade, always found pirate at the city being blocked.

Sail ON!

I had that Kornbrook pirate hanging around at Luebeck and suddenly, without any visible reason, he first moved to Flensburg (not founded yet) and after a while to Naestved (also not fonded at that time) and stayed there until I destroyed this convoy.

It's a known bug, the information about it is already given to the devs and I hope the next patch will fix it.
Enjoy the Night
Nachtschatten

Die letzte Stimme, die man hört, bevor die Welt explodiert, wird die Stimme eines Experten sein, der sagt: „Das ist technisch unmöglich.“
(Peter Ustinov)
ok this bug occured before 1.3 and still occuring in 1.3. A strange road will appear randomly when you delete a square and try to build anything. This road can stretch to the end of the map and I see the little people do walk on it. Also the AI will try to build their house on this road if there is a space. Why is that? Anyone had this happened to them? This road is not part of the 3 main roads in the city. It occurs randomly attached to an existing road and stretch to the end of the map , even through the wall. It looks like some sort of buggy road. Its very irritating cos the AI will find a space to build their house even OUtside the wall if the space near this road is available.
(26-12-2010, 06:31 PM)cybernike Wrote: The "low" setting for the pirate activity has no obvious change or is still too active. I still have to spend a lot of my time killing pirates and it is too repetitive.

Would it be possible to have an option to make roaming pirates disappear once and for all?

I concur and I will second that suggestion , firmly and strongly !!!!

For me then the frequent and far too difficult pirate activity is simply "killing the game".....
Let those that wants things as is have a game setting where they, after a fix, can set pirate activity and difficulty relatively higher - meaning that they can afterwards then have the choice to set the level up to that of version 1.30, which is at present (version 1.30) is considered "normal"/"low"(which it is not) or "v.130 easy" (which is not easy either)....
After accepting the terms on arson - a message appears on the money loan

[Image: http://i15.fastpic.ru/thumb/2011/0122/74...c9d74.jpeg] [Image: http://i15.fastpic.ru/thumb/2011/0122/f3...403f3.jpeg]
a stupid mistake of mine as I always suspected.
(22-01-2011, 03:47 PM)cepera Wrote: After accepting the terms on arson - a message appears on the money loan

The arson failed and the assignment now "hides" and you see a money loan assignment you accepted a while ago.

When you look into the list of assignments you will find the arson marked with a red X for "failed".

This is a known bug (already reported to the devs) and hopefully it will be fixed with the next patch.
Enjoy the Night
Nachtschatten

Die letzte Stimme, die man hört, bevor die Welt explodiert, wird die Stimme eines Experten sein, der sagt: „Das ist technisch unmöglich.“
(Peter Ustinov)
Why then video with a fire is?

(26-01-2011, 01:46 AM)Nachtschatten Wrote:
(22-01-2011, 03:47 PM)cepera Wrote: After accepting the terms on arson - a message appears on the money loan

The arson failed and the assignment now "hides" and you see a money loan assignment you accepted a while ago.

(22-01-2011, 12:54 AM)Patrician_Player Wrote:
(26-12-2010, 06:31 PM)cybernike Wrote: The "low" setting for the pirate activity has no obvious change or is still too active. I still have to spend a lot of my time killing pirates and it is too repetitive.

Would it be possible to have an option to make roaming pirates disappear once and for all?

I concur and I will second that suggestion , firmly and strongly !!!!

For me then the frequent and far too difficult pirate activity is simply "killing the game".....
Let those that wants things as is have a game setting where they, after a fix, can set pirate activity and difficulty relatively higher - meaning that they can afterwards then have the choice to set the level up to that of version 1.30, which is at present (version 1.30) is considered "normal"/"low"(which it is not) or "v.130 easy" (which is not easy either)....

I've found that if you hunt Pirates in the early game, and win, there seems to be a tipping point when they stop attacking your "protected" convoys. Those convoys with at least one "armed" ship.
I have a bug in my save game that causes the game to crash. It happens the same time every time (2nd of October - game time). Doesn't seem to be any way around the crash, and I think that it might have something to do with a siege event that happens in Stavanger.

Below is the save game in question, hopefully you can work out from this what is causing it to bug.

http://www.dastack.com/p4s68_30Sep1404.p4s

Steam Special Edition running on Windows 7
(26-01-2011, 09:40 AM)cepera Wrote: Why then video with a fire is?

(26-01-2011, 01:46 AM)Nachtschatten Wrote:

You're right, an assignment can "vanish" even when the sabotage (e.g. the arson) was successful.
Nevertheless it's a bug because you should see the result immediately without having to look into the assignment list.

Enjoy the Night
Nachtschatten

(Peter Ustinov)
Hi, not sure if this is a bug guys but I have a problem with some of my crayers having a speed of 7 and some a speed of 8. Is this normal?
Have a look if they have 0 or 14 cannons and how much cargo they have loaded.

[edit]
Ah yes, please have a look at the captains. Rating for navigation have an influence on the speed.
[/edit]

Hein
[Image: http://gamingmindsstudios.com/GM_Buddy/a..._buddy.png]
"There is nothing more horrible than a won battle. Except a lost one." (Wellington after Waterloo)
[quote='Bagaluth' pid='83970' dateline='1297337181']
Have a look if they have 0 or 14 cannons and how much cargo they have loaded.

[edit]
Ah yes, please have a look at the captains. Rating for navigation have an influence on the speed.
[/edit]

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't very specific. This was after the university upgrade to ship speed. I have some crayers in my harbor, all without cargo, that have a speed of 7 and others in the same harbor that have a speed of 8. these ships are all just loose ships 14 cannons each that are not in convoys.

What I should ask is should all crayers list 8 as there speed after the university upgrade?
A CTD in 1.3, retail DVD from amazon. "cpp...etc": "unknown citizen type". About a half-hour into the game I added a trade-route stop to "Riga", and, when the boat arrived there must have been someone strange onboard? -- an 'ausslander', upsetting the Rigardoons?

S.Q.Peut.

mike
Evidently only a one-time event. Also, this happened just after I'd reset the 'advice options' page.

(13-02-2011, 01:26 AM)mikemike Wrote: A CTD in 1.3, retail DVD from amazon. "cpp...etc": "unknown citizen type". About a half-hour into the game I added a trade-route stop to "Riga", and, when the boat arrived there must have been someone strange onboard? -- an 'ausslander', upsetting the Rigardoons?

S.Q.Peut.

mike

(11-02-2011, 06:29 PM)NovoLub Wrote: Thanks for the reply. I wasn't very specific. This was after the university upgrade to ship speed. I have some crayers in my harbor, all without cargo, that have a speed of 7 and others in the same harbor that have a speed of 8. these ships are all just loose ships 14 cannons each that are not in convoys.

What I should ask is should all crayers list 8 as there speed after the university upgrade?

Ships build or repaired after the research of shipsspeed have the new speed all ships that where build before the end of the research and are not jet repaied after the research was finished will have the speed befor the research. If such a ship is repaired once after the research is finished the ship will have the new speed.

Hein
"There is nothing more horrible than a won battle. Except a lost one." (Wellington after Waterloo)
Hi!

Just ran into a nice little bug after my graphics card burned out:

1. Before the card crashed, everything was working fine and the game ran without any problem. The system is a Win7, dxdiag reports DirectX 11, old graphics card supported 10.x as far as I can remember.

2. Graphics card crashed and I switched to the on-board chipset (Intel G33, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100) which supports only DirectX 9.0c. DxDiag reports 256MB total graphics card memory. This should be enough to run Patrician4 according to the system requirements on the box.

3. When I now start Pat4, the launcher appears, I can click on "Play Patrician IV" and then the following error message appears:
"D:\GMProjects\Patrician3\Services\Render\Device_Dx9.cpp(277): Error in 'Render:Big Grinevice_Dx9::setup': Could not create DirectX-Device! Please check your DirectX-installation and install the latest driver for your Graphikcard"
(Typos are as they appear in the message ;-) )
When I click ok in the error message dialog, the Patrician4 process ends.

4. I have removed the old graphic card drivers, have reinstalled the G33 chipset drivers, reinstalled Patrician4, reinstalled DirectX both from the game disk and the web. Checked everything and all tools report no error with DirectX. 3DMark06 (which apparently tests DirectX9 performance) worked albeit being a slideshow Smile. Pat4 still shows same error.

Now, I will survive the 3 days it takes until my new external GPU arrives without Pat4 withdrawal symptoms I hope. I just thought I report that problem. If you have any ideas or hints where else to look, that would be great. I don't think it's a general problem with DX9 and Patrician4 since I wouldn't be the first one to run into it, but I also can't find any problem here on my machine and Dx9 seems to work fine.....

Joebroesel
Without a dxdiag of your current system i can't realy help you.

But you may have a look in the Intel driver database library. Search for you chipset of your onboard and look for the newes driver available. Download it and install the driver.

P4 may work with a driver that is not older than 2010.

Hein
@joebroesel

Check the link below - The game wants Shader Model 2 support - but not all Intel Chipsets support it. You know which drivers you have
and the Intel page is reasonably clear - I think.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-014257.htm
@Bagaluth:
Here is a link to a shortened dxdiag summary with all driver details:DxDiag.txt
The driver is the most up to date one that Intel offers for the G33 according to their website. The drivers are from 2009.

@billyplod
The G33 (GMA 3100) chipset supports the Shader Model 2.0 (hardware support for pixel shaders and apparently software support for vertex shaders).

I think there might be a problem with backwards compatibility from Dx11 to Dx9 now but since Windows7 features Dx11 I'm not sure I could downgrade below Dx11 to test that idea....

Thanks to both of you for the quick answers! My new graphics card which might solve the problem anyway is going to arrive in 2 days. I just thought I throw that bug out there since it might affect other people at one point and I now have 2 days to reproduce it and maybe find an answer.....
the problem with this chipset is, that it doesn't have got dedicated video ram, only shared.
And shared 256 mb are not the same as origin 256 mb ram. so this is a bit underneath the requirements.
it could work, but if i'll have to guess...i would say "no" Wink

So i hope, you will survive until your new one arrives! Big Grin
Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
(28-02-2011, 06:39 PM)Dorimil Wrote: And shared 256 mb are not the same as origin 256 mb ram. so this is a bit underneath the requirements.

Yes, the shared memory could be a problem, but I would guess that it should not stop P4 from starting but lead to problems later on when I'm in the game. The error is thrown right at initialization and memory shortage should not be a problem, yet.

(28-02-2011, 06:39 PM)Dorimil Wrote: So i hope, you will survive until your new one arrives! Big Grin

If I don't answer anymore soon the answer is no Tongue

logically right, but what is logical within Windows? Tongue

by the way: using a .de-Domain and posting in the international part?
(28-02-2011, 06:53 PM)Dorimil Wrote: by the way: using a .de-Domain and posting in the international part?

Well, I have a .de domain because I'm German, but live in England and think that writing in English gives me a bigger audience! Wink I try not to confuse you next time and post from my .uk domain Smile

[Edit1] And about the shared memory: I don't think DirectX would abort on initialization. I'm not even sure the maximum amount of available RAM is available. It would only show when the memory is actually needed (out of memory or slow speed). So I don't think it would produce an error so early on.

[Edit2] Just tested another Dx9 game with almost the same requirements (X3:Reunion) which I had lying around and it also works fine. It is just very slow as expected. X3 claims it has 128MB minimum memory requirements but recommends 256MB, so it doesn't rule out the shared memory issue. But since X3 can initialize a Dx9 device, I would say there is a small bug in P4 somewhere....

[Edit3] And finally coming back to the Shader Model issue mentioned by billyplod: That could actually be the problem! Just found out that one has to specify whether to use Hardware/Software/Mixed shading when calling the d3dcreate command (to setup a dx9 device). So if the developers specified that only HW shaders are used, the software emulation of my G33 for the Vertex Shader Model 2.0 would lead to an error. In that case I would still call that a bug since there
a) is no mention that full HW support for the Shader Model 2.0 is needed,
b) no proper error message is thrown to let the user know
c) even SW support might be sufficient for what is needed since the driver offers SW vertex shaders? Might just be slower

Ok you have:

Driver Version: 8.15.10.1930

And it's from:

Driver Date/Size: 9/23/2009
driver from sep. 2009 will not meet the requirements for P4 i think

It is a WAG but try the Xp driver:

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows* XP (exe)

Installs graphics driver version 14.37.4.5218 (6.14.10.5218) for the integrated graphics controller of Intel® chipsets.

Its on the second page if you search for your GMA 3100

Hein
Hein, thanks for looking into it.

Intel are doing something strange with the version numbers here. The driver I've downloaded and that is currently running on my system is version 15.12.75.4.1930 from 2 Oct 2009. This is the newest version you can get for the GMA 3100 chip and Windows 7 it seems (and higher version but older than the latest XP version you found). The display driver version numbers in the dxdiag file don't change if I switch to an older version, so they seem to be unchanged over versions (guess also supported by release notes of the driver).

Why would P4 not support drivers from 2009? It specifies DirectX 9.0c as requirement which was introduced 2004 so for many chips I don't think you can expect newer drivers (except for bug fixing)

My best guess is still on the software accelerated Vertex Shader Model 2.0 in the G33 which might lead to an error while creating the device if the HW acceleration is explicitly set.

Already suffering from withdrawal.......had to fall back to flash games! Smile