Patrician IV Bug Reports Thread (Version 1.3 only!)
I often build businesses alongside the three main roads as far as I can so I only need to expand the city wall once. However, the furthest businesses are often blocking the way so the AI does not build new walls at all. This is ok as I will move to the city and be elected mayor. Afterwards I can demolish my businesses so the new wall can be built. The real problem is when I build businesses far away from the central but *not* alongside the three main roads, in which case new roads will be extended to connect these businesses to the three main roads. If the new road is in the way of the new city wall, the city wall cannot be built. These roads do not disappear even if I demolish the businesses, nor can I demolish the roads. Therefore I cannot expand the city wall any more. See Boston for example in the save file below.

http://ywang.serveftp.org/p4auto.p4s
The trick is to have a look at the gates and the beach.

If you have build up one city wall to the max, you have a feeling where the gates will stand, when such a wall is build.

So you build one farm at the road where the gate will be in your opinion.

Than you let space for one additional farm and a road and build the next farms for the option of a 4x2 block on both sides of the road but only 2 farms on each side of the road leading out.

Than you remove the first set farm.

Do that for the 3 gates and the beach on each side of the town.

Than try to make the councel build a new wall. it will be the max. possible wall in one out of 2.

Hein
[Image: http://gamingmindsstudios.com/GM_Buddy/a..._buddy.png]
"There is nothing more horrible than a won battle. Except a lost one." (Wellington after Waterloo)
@joe: not confusing, just wondering about! Wink

DirectX and graphics driver are different things! So the driver should be as actual as possible. Just to know, that this is not the reason for your problems...
My systems is not high-end and i do not update all drivers as often as i should. But once a year i check all drivers for update. So far i haven't had any technical problems with games, that was caused by my system..

that's the reason why i want to eliminate these possibilities for causing the problems. if there is nothing left, only kalypso and GM could help! Wink
Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
[Image: http://imghost4you.com/images/46.png]
I am talking about the situation where you can build businesses outside of the max. city wall. If you happen to build those businesses first, not alongside the three main roads, the game will extend new roads to connect those businesses. These roads do not go away even if you demolish all your buidlings, but the max. city wall cannot be built as it will go accross the new road (wihtout a gate).

(01-03-2011, 09:12 AM)Bagaluth Wrote: The trick is to have a look at the gates and the beach.

If you have build up one city wall to the max, you have a feeling where the gates will stand, when such a wall is build.

So you build one farm at the road where the gate will be in your opinion.

Than you let space for one additional farm and a road and build the next farms for the option of a 4x2 block on both sides of the road but only 2 farms on each side of the road leading out.

Do that for the 3 gates and the beach on each side of the town.

Than try to make the councel build a new wall. it will be the max. possible wall in one out of 2.

Hein

First it can't be the max wall because than you would not be able to build a bigger one.

So it is the first or one that is between the start wall and the bigges extension.

The problem is, that if you build outside a wall, that is not the biggest possible, that you may block a gate or the wall with a building or a road.

So use the trick i stated from the start, as i sugested.

Quote:"Than you let space for one additional farm and a road and build the next farms for the option of a 4x2 block on both sides of the road but only 2 farms on each side of the road leading out.

Do that for the 3 gates and the beach on each side of the town."

And after that start at the existing wall to build new farms, till the new wall is build.

If you have allready a problem with roads. You ahve to try a bit with a saved game. If you remove the last building that is responsable for a road the road will be eliminated too. (since Patch 1.3)

But you may have to remove a lot of farms and some AI farms could be necessary to be removed too if the game was started and played some time before Patch 1,3 was installed.

Hein

"There is nothing more horrible than a won battle. Except a lost one." (Wellington after Waterloo)
This is another bug in my opinion. If you build businesses to the extreme boundary, sometimes the road is not eliminated even if you remove all your businesses (no AI business is ever built along the road). This is exactly my problem.

I appreciate your help but frankly if you simply download my save file and check the city of Boston, it would save both of us some time.

(01-03-2011, 08:04 PM)Bagaluth Wrote: If you have allready a problem with roads. You ahve to try a bit with a saved game. If you remove the last building that is responsable for a road the road will be eliminated too. (since Patch 1.3)

May take some time, but i will do it.

Hein
(01-03-2011, 08:22 PM)alexwy Wrote: This is another bug in my opinion. If you build businesses to the extreme boundary, sometimes the road is not eliminated even if you remove all your businesses (no AI business is ever built along the road). This is exactly my problem.

I appreciate your help but frankly if you simply download my save file and check the city of Boston, it would save both of us some time.

(01-03-2011, 08:04 PM)Bagaluth Wrote: If you have allready a problem with roads. You ahve to try a bit with a saved game. If you remove the last building that is responsable for a road the road will be eliminated too. (since Patch 1.3)

Exactly, we should name the issues by their real names - BUGS. Bagaluth and other Kalypso stuff, help us to go around them in 1001 ways but they are still exists and they are greatly spoil the gameplay experience. That's why I tkink that P4 can't hold a candle to P3.

It's nearly impossible to actually select a city in the Edit Trade Route window, the only thing you can do is move the stupid city markers. And if it moves the wrong way, it gets deleted from the route and you have to go back and move all those stupid sliders again.

Lose the sliders. Let me enter a number. Or let me click on a little dot and
say "sell until you get to two green dots, buy until you get to one green dot".

Give us a way to lock the city list so we can select the city instead of moving it within the list.

This is not rocket science, guys.
(06-03-2011, 08:41 PM)ayanac Wrote: Give us a way to lock the city list so we can select the city instead of moving it within the list.
or implement the PageUp/Down keys to go up und down in the list without touching the city-stop-list
Please explain "computer is not reading CD". If the autorun isn't working, you can try to manually execute autorun.exe from the disc (using My Computer/Explorer). If that doesn't help either, try in a different computer/drive before returning the disc to the store just in case.
(26-03-2011, 12:32 AM)Timo Wrote: Please explain "computer is not reading CD". If the autorun isn't working, you can try to manually execute autorun.exe from the disc (using My Computer/Explorer). If that doesn't help either, try in a different computer/drive before returning the disc to the store just in case.

Perhaps trying to run the disc in a DVD drive also might be an option. Wink

Thorin Smile

Hack seinen Kopf ab. Ich brauche einen Aschenbecher!
Here is an interesting thing I ran into yesterday. I was sitting in Lubeck when I noticed the red blob on top of the Town Hall. I went in and saw that it was for new notices being posted. I looked and saw that Bremen was in need of 40 Salt which needed to be purchased in Lubeck. I accepted the job and took it to Bremen. I delivered the 40 and nothing happened. I then delivered another 50 and at the top of the window it said 40 salt/ 40 salt sold. But I never got the job completed message. Eventually time ran out and I got the Job Failed notification. I know the notices are working as I picked one up in Edinburgh to deliver wood there. I went and got the wood and when I got back I sold it and got the job completed notification. Back to Lubeck and this time I saw that Bergen wanted salt. I accepted and took the salt to bergen and again no job complete notification just 2 game days later I got the job failed. It looks to me like those events/notices in Lubeck are broken.

Gaetlan
did you buy the salt in lubeck or did you take it from your own production?
some jobs include the buying in a specific town.
(30-03-2011, 12:00 AM)Falko Wrote: did you buy the salt in lubeck or did you take it from your own production?

I did notice that it wanted me to buy it both times in Lubeck. I have not gotten to the point where I can produce anything so I was buying it off the market. THanx for the reply
(30-03-2011, 02:57 AM)Gaetlan Wrote:
(30-03-2011, 12:00 AM)Falko Wrote: did you buy the salt in lubeck or did you take it from your own production?

I did notice that it wanted me to buy it both times in Lubeck. I have not gotten to the point where I can produce anything so I was buying it off the market. THanx for the reply

did you buy it AFTER taking the mission?

when it is properly registered, you'll have the same message for buying as you have for selling, that is "40 /40 salt bought" or something.

if not, you fulfilled the "sell part", but not the "buy part".

the fact that the buying condition doesn't seem to appear in the description of assignments also doesn't help, but when you know you have to buy the goods and receive a message for it, it works better Smile
(30-03-2011, 01:42 PM)toasteur Wrote: did you buy it AFTER taking the mission?

when it is properly registered, you'll have the same message for buying as you have for selling, that is "40 /40 salt bought" or something.

if not, you fulfilled the "sell part", but not the "buy part".

the fact that the buying condition doesn't seem to appear in the description of assignments also doesn't help, but when you know you have to buy the goods and receive a message for it, it works better Smile

Hmmm, good one. May have to try that one again as I may very well have purchased the salt prior to accepting the missions as I do not remember getting the bought message.

Thanx

Gaetlan
Hi! I just downloaded Patrician IV from the internet and installed it. The problem is, it is REALLY SLOW except when in the Main Menu. I can't play it because the response time is very late. Like, when I hover the mouse over a button, it takes 4-6 seconds to light up. I really want to play Patrician IV but I get really irritated because of the problem.

Oh and my OS is Windows 7.

Help please.

PS. I also changed the graphics level from Very High to Very Low. And it is still as slow as ever. Sad
@heytricia
please post a dxdiag log of your system. But please contain the dxdiag log in a # box, so the post will not be so long.

THX

Hein
(03-04-2011, 08:30 AM)heytricia Wrote: Hi! I just downloaded Patrician IV from the internet and installed it. The problem is, it is REALLY SLOW except when in the Main Menu. I can't play it because the response time is very late. Like, when I hover the mouse over a button, it takes 4-6 seconds to light up. I really want to play Patrician IV but I get really irritated because of the problem.

Oh and my OS is Windows 7.

Help please.

PS. I also changed the graphics level from Very High to Very Low. And it is still as slow as ever. Sad

I noticed real slowness when I played while also copying 100 GBs of files from the same drive (wanted to play in the middle of a backup). Mine seemed more related to loading graphics for cities and the map than clicking buttons though, but it was very slow.
I don't know if this is a bug or just politicians being awkward. I had three options for the Council at Malmo - Mint, Chapel or Defensive Tower. I paid to vote Mint to the top but then noticed the % had reduced later. I then started watching it closely - I paid a million to get Mint well over 50% then gradually the % fell, I did the same for Chapel and the same happened, then I did it for the defense Tower and that worked fine. I'm quite well on with 22 cities, most at 10,000 but I desperately need to get a new wall at Malmo.

As an aside - wow what a great game, I wish I had discovered it earlier - it is delaying the onset of Alzheimers but how on earth do people who are not retired find time to play this?
Well they put every free minute they have in a basked and collect till they have another hour to play Wink
(22-04-2011, 05:42 PM)haxbydave Wrote: As an aside - wow what a great game, I wish I had discovered it earlier - it is delaying the onset of Alzheimers but how on earth do people who are not retired find time to play this?

I don't know because I'm retired...

You have to have a vision before you can define your strategy.
(22-04-2011, 05:42 PM)haxbydave Wrote: I don't know if this is a bug or just politicians being awkward.

Thanks for not answering this question - it IS the politicians being awkward and I've just worked out what I have to do about it. So many depths to this game. Rolleyes
Hey !
I started a trade route, all was good, i'm taking Grain from My town to sell it...
i tried to sell it in an other town ( added a town ), buy i just found BUY, when i click trade to change, i can't find SELL, there's just unload to store, not to their market...
I tried to do it with an other ship, a new trade route, but always same problem, i got the " Buy Mode ", but when i come to sell, it chane to Unload to store ...

[Image: http://img11.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini...stitre.jpg]
@M2Net

If you click on the Warehouse ICON - it alternates between "Store" and "Trade with Town"

[Image: http://www.image-share.com/upload/651/166.jpg]
(11-05-2011, 10:43 PM)M2Net Wrote: Hey !
I started a trade route, all was good, i'm taking Grain from My town to sell it...
i tried to sell it in an other town ( added a town ), buy i just found BUY, when i click trade to change, i can't find SELL, there's just unload to store, not to their market...
I tried to do it with an other ship, a new trade route, but always same problem, i got the " Buy Mode ", but when i come to sell, it chane to Unload to store ...

[Image: http://img11.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini...stitre.jpg]

In the right side you have selected picture 'building', which means "unload into my warehouse". If you like to sell to the city with prices and quantities pre-defined, change it as a 'city' picture and give your selling terms.

If you don't want to pre-define your selling terms, put "Grain" picture (in the midle section) to the "Automatically trade" and your captain decides what are good selling/buying terms (usually he knows those quite well).

P.S. And Billyplod was faster...
You have to have a vision before you can define your strategy.
1. PC freezing or crash occurs when switching from general view to town:
http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=9381

2. Hemp fields 'blinking'
Just before spring arrives, hemp fields sort of flash on and off, as if two images of the field (the 'dull' wintry one and a brighter, spring one) were interchanging very rapidly. When spring arrives, this blinking is gone.

3. Ship data updated with delay
When hiring more crew or repairing ships, the information box gets updated with a delay. It can show the number of seamen as it used to be, as if no one was additionally hired. A second click on the ship updates the information.
Is this a bug or is it my computer? I've noticed that the citizens in my towns walk like they are marching and walk through each other. Maybe my game settings are off?Sad
Any ideas for correcting this? I find it hard to believe that Kalypso would design the game this way.
Living the butterflys' dream.
Zhuangzi
Does it stay the same if you reload the save?
it could happen by random, that a lot of the citizens got the same starting point and then "marching on". i reckognize this in my game, too, but after reloading ths "bug" dissapear...
Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
[Image: http://imghost4you.com/images/46.png]