Kalypso Launcher: Information and FAQ (EN)
Last updated: 05-10-2012

Kalypso Launcher is a proprietary game launcher used by most (if not all) current and future titles published by Kalypso Media.

Kalypso Launcher offers the following functionality:

- Product key verification
- Online account registration
- Online multiplayer functionality/matchmaking*
- Online community features/leaderboards/user profiles*
- Display of game specific news and content updates for your games
- Delivery of automatic content updates and patches*
- Delivery of optional DLC purchased via external sites and partners*

*) Features marked with an asterisk require the aforementioned registration of a Kalypso Media online account. Your product key will be tied to this account. During account registration, you will be asked for an Email address and personal password. No other private information will be stored.

How the Launcher works ...

... if your PC is internet enabled:

- After install and when starting the game for the first time, you will be asked for your product key.
- You will be asked to register a Kalypso Media online account or log in to your existing account
- Logging in to your account is required each time you start the game (you have the option to store your credentials on your machine)
- Your game will check update servers for any available updates, download and install them if you accept

... if your PC is offline:

- After install and when starting the game for the first time, you will be asked for your product key.
- The game will start, but you will not receive updates or news. If you have downloaded the updates via the Launcher previously, they will be available to play.

FAQ

Q: Does Kalypso Launcher require an internet connection for activation?
A: Plain and simple: No. You can install and play your games without any kind of internet connection.

Q: Which Kalypso games will use the Launcher?
A: Kalypso Launcher will be used for both internal studio titles (such as Patrician IV and Dungeons) as well as external productions (such as The First Templar and Tropico 4).

Q: Does Kalypso Launcher require my game disc to be in the drive during gameplay?
A: This depends on any additional copy protection used for individual titles. Please ask in the game-specific subforum for more information. Most current games do not require a physical disc being present in the drive.

Q: Why is Kalypso Launcher required?
A: The Launcher is part of a copy protection scheme that we deem fair to honest customers. By delivering game updates exlusively via the Launcher, we ensure that only registered users will receive free bonus content. The user account is also required for online functionality if available.

Q: Am I allowed to install the game on multiple machines and start it with my online account?
A: Yes you are. However, you won't be able to log into a single account from multiple machines simultaneously.

Q: Will I be able to use my existing Kalypso Launcher from an older game with my new game?
A: Yes you will. If you have previously registered for Kalypso Launcher, you can use your credentials to log in to your new game. You will only have to enter your product key for verification once.

Q: Will I be able to sell the game along with the product key?
A: Yes! However, you will need to contact our email support (see game manual) in order to release the product key from your online account so it can be used for a new registration.
Nice *o* great job guys >.o
what you want isn't always what you need and what you get isn't always what you want, deal with it!
[Image: http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i92/NDebN/sig1.jpg]
Pretty please, Don’t you ever, ever feel like you're less than perfect
where is the launcher installed? i cant find it anywhere to run it. Its not in the same directory as the game i installed (Dungeons), whats the point having patches and stuff available through a launcher, if your stupidly forget to put it on the disc to install?
From the other thread, Cheers timo but that is not cool why to games companies feel it is ok to penalise those customers stupid enough to pay for the product.
I'm stuck for a couple of months without internet access, just moved and broke so I end up with an inferior product that wasn't coded properly in the first place
well found a steam copy along with the patch on a torrent site and it all works, so thank you for forcing me to use a pirate copy as it works better than your product, I'm guessing no payment will be forthcoming for my time you have wasted so I will deduct it from the next titles I buy by merely using the same torrent site

strange how giving you money results in a worse product but like they say fool my once shame on you fool me twice shame on me
So if you did have internet access to download the pirated copy, why haven't you been able to download the patches before? You're not making any sense here, but then again, I won't waste my time arguing with you.

Good luck keeping your game updated without a valid registration. Please do us a favor and don't ask for support here if you feel like you're missing out on new maps, content, etc.
(12-02-2011, 11:14 PM)Kraftsman Wrote: Hi Kalypso

I just bought DUNGEONs from Steam and press "PLAY" and am stuck at the dungeons launcher product key window, using the letter "A", my product key looks like "AAAA-AAAAA-AAAAA-AAAAA-AAA..." I try to put that in the product key field (excluding the ... which i've never seen in a product key before anyway) and I get "This product key is invalid" and cannot proceed. Advice please
please disregard my above post, product key issue is resolved thank you

Yes that was what I had and I was stuck for some time until I realised that the Steam pop-up window is not big enough to display all of the key number and I had to slide the top of that section along to the left so that the section expanded sufficiently to be able to see all of the number....

HTH Smile

You know, you can just copy & paste the product key from the Steam window to the game launcher window.
has there been any sort of fix for those costumers that have purchased the game 'Dungeons', and are then unable to get the verification email sent? thus far i have sent an email to the support address, and the only thing i have received is an automatic response saying my email was received.

i have checked my spam folder repeatedly, and have tried to re-verify my email.
Is there anyway to change the email address that i have registered with? Or to de-authorise a product key and move it to another account?
yes, please contact kalypso support via email support@kalypsomedia.com
(28-05-2011, 09:00 PM)admin Wrote: yes, please contact kalypso support via email support@kalypsomedia.com

I have, but haven't had a reply... will give it a few more days then
Will tell our support team tomorrow to get back to you asap.
(29-05-2011, 01:24 PM)admin Wrote: Will tell our support team tomorrow to get back to you asap.

Thanks!
Please note we now have a website in place that allows you to register a new account and redeem product keys:

http://launcher.kalypsomedia.com/

If you are planning to purchase any of our future titles, you can get the registration process out of the way now and use your credentials to log right into the game one release day.
(24-07-2011, 06:06 PM)Timo Wrote: Please note we now have a website in place that allows you to register a new account and redeem product keys:

http://launcher.kalypsomedia.com/

If you are planning to purchase any of our future titles, you can get the registration process out of the way now and use your credentials to log right into the game one release day.

Since i purchased my Patricians 1V Rise of a Dynasty online through STEAM why am i being required to confirm my ownership of the product via Kalypso Launcher? Since i need to login to steam every time i play a game and confirm my steam password why then do i need to confirm my ownership of the product to 2 organisations.

I Purchaced the game for STEAM.. not from kalypso... Therefore i should only need to have my credentials and ownership of the product Confirmed by STEAM.

All game upgrades come through STEAM automaticaly Anyway.

So again why do i have to go through 2 different confirmation processes to play 1 game..

Sorry, Kalypso Launcher is built into the game, it has nothing to do with where you purchased the game from. Also, you do not have to confirm anything. By registering for Kalypso Launcher, you gain access to automatic game updates and additional content.
(21-08-2011, 10:21 PM)Timo Wrote: Sorry, Kalypso Launcher is built into the game, it has nothing to do with where you purchased the game from. Also, you do not have to confirm anything. By registering for Kalypso Launcher, you gain access to automatic game updates and additional content.

Ok fair enough, if thats the way it has to be. Pity it cannot be removed from the game sold through Steam.

Thanks for the reply.

I have been having a lot of trouble getting Tropico 4 to start from the Kalypso Launcher. After i make a new account I try logging in with it and I keep getting the same message that says "Wrong login or password" everytime. I know for sure that I am not entering my stuff incorrectly, and I also never recieve any confirmation that my account has been created. I also used the account i have for this, and Steam, neither of which worked. Any suggestion?
@Natwit17: Make sure you registered with the correct email address, check your spam folder, email client settings and make sure your ISP doesn't block emails. Activation emails are sent automatically through our server within seconds. You can not use your registered account without confirming the registration via the activation link sent to you via email.
Much as I can't stand Steam ~That's where I paid for [access to] Disciples 3:Resurrection. Does this mean that no updates will appear via Steam for the game?

* And why is registration not optional if the purchaser decides they do not want future updates? (Why even imply that it's a free choice to register for updates if the intent is to withhold the game from valid clients who elect not to submit registration after having already tendered the money. Steam is its own DRM and this seems very slippery IMO ~regardless of fair intentions). This would not be so onerous if registration was an optional / opt-out customer choice.

Anyone who has managed to acquire a pirated copy (shame on them), has already opted out and is playing the game.
(29-08-2011, 12:41 PM)targetbsp Wrote: I want to change my Kalypso Launcher email address so I emailed support as suggested earlier in this thread. They've emailed back asking for a list of games and serial numbers. Why? Every other company says support won't ask for your cd key so I'm not going to start sending them now! Smile
Agreed; and also I would ask how would it affect legitimate users should that database be compromised/ corrupted, or otherwise stolen?

Would Kalypso stop accepting valid logins because any login could then pose as valid? (Even RSA's database was hacked.)
(03-12-2011, 12:44 AM)Gizmo Wrote: Much as I can't stand Steam ~That's where I paid for [access to] Disciples 3:Resurrection. Does this mean that no updates will appear via Steam for the game?

For every Steam title, updates will be delivered via the Steam client software.
(04-12-2011, 07:23 PM)Timo Wrote:
(03-12-2011, 12:44 AM)Gizmo Wrote: Much as I can't stand Steam ~That's where I paid for [access to] Disciples 3:Resurrection. Does this mean that no updates will appear via Steam for the game?

For every Steam title, updates will be delivered via the Steam client software.
That sounds really good.

* but why then do I need to register for updates via the launcher? (and in order to play.)
(and... considering that my purchased access to D3:Resurrection is linked to my Steam account and I have already registered with them, and have to login to play. Doesn't this actually mean that I am expected (required) to have pre-registered and needing to login to two separate companies; using two usernames, and their associated passwords, to play a singleplayer offline campaign?)

**I'm not at all questioning the publisher's need for DRM; but why implement two forms of it on the Steam version? Its a bit like padlocking one's car door; and still needing a key for the lock in the door. There's no sense to it... or is there? Is there an underlying reason for this or was it a mistake that the Disc version's DRM was also installed on the Steam version?

I ask because it gives the impression of wanting to compel registration to create an email list either for sale for future marketing. That's not cool if it's accurate.
The login in the demands an email address, not an account username.

I got the game as a disk and ive typed in the product key (the one on the back of the booklet although i dont know- the booklet doesnt even mention any of this stuff), and it keeps saying its invalid. I tried downloading it from kalypso and then that stuffed up but im pretty sure i deleted the old game.
If you deactivate your online connection, then the launcher will not connect to the system.
(11-12-2011, 02:54 PM)Walt Wrote: If you deactivate your online connection, then the launcher will not connect to the system.

Thank you Walt! Cool
This works wonderfully. I'm still not to the end of D3:Renaissance, but I was able to run D3:Resurrection for the first time since buying it (on release day). It looks fantastic.
Habe mir Tropico 4 gekauft und sofort installiert. Habe wie vorgeschrieben, meine E-mail und mein Passwort eingegeben
und außerdem den Produktschlüssel. Nach mehrmaligen Versuchen bekomme ich immer wieder den Hinweis:
"Ihr Produkt-Keyist berteits in Benutzung! " Ich komme einfach nicht weiter?

Bedanke mich für die Hilfe!
War das Spiel original verpackt?
Bitte wenden Sie sich an den Kalypso Support unter support@kalypsomedia.com

Für weitere Supportanfragen bitte in das Tropico 4 Forum (deutsch) posten.
Please tell me that you guys are attempting to increase speeds for updating games via the Kalypso Launcher. I just purchased Tropico 4 and it has taken me almost 2 hours to download 137 mb patch, that is ridiculous. I downloaded the whole 4gb game from Amazon in 45 minutes this is just frustrating.
And what about playing with Internet OFF? Most of games just want to get Serial Number then and you do not have to register.