Patrician IV: Rise of a Dynasty - Bug Reports Thread (Version 2.0.4 only!)
Yes - In the pre Add on version - I have just run that manually you can :-
Set up a One town trade route, with any values - park your ship and the commodity will be purchased each day, up to the limit.

Playing the Game with the addon RoaD that is no longer possible - any trade route with only one town cancels at the end of each day. That is now how the game mechanics work. Is a "bug", not really, its a change. To buy continually from a town it is probably cheaper in the long run to open a counting house.

I suspect that the developers though that parking a ship in the harbour was an exploit - I don't know, but I doubt it will be changed now.
(09-03-2014, 03:28 PM)billyplod Wrote: Yes - In the pre Add on version - I have just run that manually you can :-
Set up a One town trade route, with any values - park your ship and the commodity will be purchased each day, up to the limit.

Playing the Game with the addon RoaD that is no longer possible - any trade route with only one town cancels at the end of each day. That is now how the game mechanics work. Is a "bug", not really, its a change. To buy continually from a town it is probably cheaper in the long run to open a counting house.

I suspect that the developers though that parking a ship in the harbour was an exploit - I don't know, but I doubt it will be changed now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVAF691o6RI

(09-03-2014, 03:28 PM)billyplod Wrote: Yes - In the pre Add on version - I have just run that manually you can :-

Ohhh, if I knew that in addition to such a miserable route system, I would not buy this add - (((
Eneier,

When I first purchased the US boxed edition of P-4, it was so unstable I could not play the game and gave up. A couple months ago, I purchased the Gold Edition from the UK and am now able to play P-4.

Yes, it has a lot of changes, but there are work a rounds for many complaints. You can accomplish something near to what you are looking for in a couple of ways.

I have a meat route working that depends on, as Billyplod said, having a Counting House. Set the Counting House administrator to auto purchase from the town and place in storage. Then set your ship to load from your storage. Once you have a Counting House, you can acquire the privilege of producing your own meat and your storage will always have meat available if you set the administrator to not sell what ever amount you choose. My route is then set to go deliver the meat. It works great.

In addition to loading from your storage, you can put two stops, one right after the other, in your route and have the ship purchase from the town with the first stop and load from Storage in the second stop. You cannot just put the two stops together initially. You must first add some other stops and then the second stop in your target city. Then you can move the two stops together and delete the unwanted extra stops you added. This does work, I have done it for several routes. The unknown is whether or not the city will actually sell you the meat at the purchase price you set as maximum.

Another method is to set up an auto route between two or three meat producing cities and set your ship to only purchase in each of the cities. Eventually you should have a loaded ship if you did not set you max purchase price lower than the going rate. The problem I have with this sort of thing is that I am so busy dealing with the multitude of demands occurring in the game that any ship not on a totally auto route being neglected for long periods of time and becoming unprofitable.
@Eineier:
I watched your video and I got the mistake:
The route gets deactivated because you only got one town in that route. In order to make it work you should add a minimum of two more towns Wink

Best regards,
Daan
@Eineier: YES

You need to create a route with Two entries for the same town - then the convoy will sit in teh harbour and buy the commodity daily. BUT....

To create that route you need to
Create the route by Selecting Town 1 and then another town and then selecting town one again.
So Allborg the Malmo then Allborg again.

Edit route - move Malmo to end of route - then delete it.

Now you have a two town route both Allborg.

Set up your buy parameters as normal in first entry & copy to second entry.
Activate route - and convoy sits in harbor and buys commodity daily.
Not sure if this has ever come up before. I recently bought the Steam version of P4 + RoaD. I'm still in the P4 campaign, so none of the RoaD interior cities are showing as yet.

The recurring bug I get has to do with the Chronicle page. I'm not sure if it's a cumulative error (the longer you play, the more likely it is to crop up), or if it is when I try to open the Chronicle page while the Historical event or "New chronicle entry" message is still on the map. What happens is that upon opening the Chronicle page, it is suffering HUGE video tearing. (At least that's what we called it years ago when I was working in a TV station Control Room.) It's like the graphic interlacing is being pulled apart with all even-numbered line being pulled right and all odd-numbered lines are being pulled left. And it's not static; it's flickering as the lines keep sliding a little bit left and then a little bit right. The result is that the page is totally unreadable, and it looks like the game is about to CTD.

I'll try to get a screenshot next time it happens. Trying to describe what I'm seeing in words doesn't do the event justice. Sad
Here's the screen shot: Chronicle page, video tearing [furthest left screen shot]
Hi!

Please post your DxDiag (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...ostic-tool).

Best regards,
Daan
@CaptainPatch

Have you got 3D enabled on your Video Card? Need to set it at "Let Application decide"
or
Are you using RDS for anything, and have a Video Card that supports dual monitors - because I've seen this happen if you connect remotely to an app that uses dual screen output - if you have dual screens great it works - if you don't you get split screen - but the check for dual screen can activate the second port on your video card and that messes with .exes that don't expect it.
(28-03-2014, 11:34 AM)Daan Hugo Wrote: Please post your DxDiag (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...ostic-tool).
That link led to:
Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /en-us/windows-vista/run-directx-diagnostic-tool).
You know, running DXDIAG pops up a tabbed panel that _can't_ be Clipboarded (highlight, Control-C)?
Pertinent Dxdiag info:
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
System Mfg = MSI
Sys Model = MS-7592
Processor = Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs) ~2.3 GHz
RAM = 8192 Mb
Page file = 2720 Mb used, 13660 Mb available
DirectX 11
Display = NVidia GeForce GTX 650
DAC Type = Integrated RAMDC
VRAM = 4038 Mb
Current display mode = 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59 Hz)
Monitor = Acer AL2416W (Analog)
Main Driver = nvd3dumx.dll, nwgf2umx.dll, nwgf2
Version = 9.18.13.3523
DDI version 11
Driver Mode = WDDM 1.1
Sound 1:
Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
Driver HdAudio.sys
Sound 2:
Digital Audio (S,PDIF)(High Definition Audio
Driver HdAudio.sys
Anything else you need?

@billyplod
"Have you got 3D enabled on your Video Card? Need to set it at "Let Application decide""
Where and how do I do this?

"Are you using RDS for anything?"
I don't even know what RDS is, so if I'm using it, it was a system default.
Not sure if the system supports dual monitors because I _never_ use more than just the one.
OVERALL: I don't know why the game starts out with the Chronicle page working fine. But about 10-20 minutes in I discover that when I check a new entry, the page pops up that graphic garbage. Usually (but not always) it's after the Historical event video or "New ship in ____" video appears. Regardless, somewhere after 20 minutes of gameplay it WILL appear.
(28-03-2014, 08:47 PM)CaptainPatch Wrote: "Have you got 3D enabled on your Video Card? Need to set it at "Let Application decide""
Where and how do I do this?

"Are you using RDS for anything?"
I don't even know what RDS is, so if I'm using it, it was a system default.
Not sure if the system supports dual monitors because I _never_ use more than just the one.

RDS - that well know typo - RDC (Remote Desktop Connection)

To disable 3D - the easiest way is to :-
1) Right Click On Desktop
2) Click on NVIDIA Control Panel
3) Click on "set up stereoscopic 3D" (on the left)
4) The finally untick the "Enable stereoscopic 3D"

if it's there - and tick it to turn back on.

DXDIAG is here --> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windo...ostic-tool

but it may also help to run SFC (System file checker) --> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
Hmm. The box had NOT been checked. (But per your instruction, I checked it.) There is a problem in that I am technically unable to see in 3D. [I have a blind spot in my left eye right where the eye focuses. This makes me unable to have binocular vision -- I literally see the entire world in 2D. (This is also where "CaptainPatch" got his eyepatch, for awhile anyway, until the resulting lazy left eye got cosmetically straightened out.)]

BTW, that's how I usually pull up a dxdiag report. But as I said, you can't Clipboard the data, and I don't know where an associated file with that info can be found.

Ran the Windows Resource Protection (cmd/sfc/scannow) which "did not find any integrity violation."
To save the DXdiag info to hit the SAVE ALL INFO button and save it to a TXT file.
But run the 64 bit version and check the display tab to see if it reports errors.

There was a new driver for the 650GTX released on 10th March - if you haven't updated recently.
After that - I would clean my video card - reseat it, check it isn't overheating.

If you still get the problem - does it go away when you just reload the game or do you have to reboot your machine?
Attaching the dxdiag.txt file. This is the 64-bit version. No problems indicated.

As soon as I post this, I'll update the driver. (It might be that I already have it. (Checking.) This current driver was dated March 4th. Version 9.18.13.3523.

When the problem manifests itself, just Loading a different/last Save doesn't make it go away. I have to entirely quit the program and start it over. (I took this break to post because after having checked the "Enable stereoscopic 3D" box, the game glitched again somewhere between 10 minutes and 1-2 hours. (I just ran a Manual sea combat. Combat with more than one ship sucks; you can't pause the action and you can only hands-on ONE ship. Meanwhile, the AI-controlled ship(s) are stoooooooopidly handled and get themselves pounded to whale dreck trying to close with their targeted enemy ship.) When I finished Combat, I checked the Chronicle and saw it had glitched.

Going to Nvidia now to update.....Updated.

Attached Files
.txt   DxDiag.txt (Size: 35.08 KB / Downloads: 145)
Your driver is bang up to date - The only thing I can suggest you try is a work round to see if it fixes the problem in P4, but may cause problems in other games. Wierd but it maybe that slowing down the Direct 3D will help.

Look at this MS KB -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191660
It tells you how to fix D3D if it isn't working but if you set the slider at a lower level - half way first up, then completely left if the Chronicle still displays incorrectly.

If it works - then you may well (almost definitely) need to set it back for other stuff.
You may try to enable V-Sync (within ingame options) as this might help to avoid tearing.

Best regards,
Daan
I believe that the previous driver I had was a Windows generic-ish driver that supposedly worked well for my graphics card. (That's why it was dated March 4th instead of March 10th.) Once I had updated to the Nvidia driver, it initially seemed to clear up the problem. At least, I was able to play a continuous @3 hour session without a glitch. But today the glitch reappeared. So I'll try the V-sync and see how that affects things.

Another thing I noticed today (or at least paid attention to), it doesn't matter what current screen I may be looking at -- city view, navigation map, etc. -- the moment at which the Chronicle page goes all wonky, there is a flash, sort of like photographer's flashbulb going off. It lasts for less than an eyeblink, so it's easy to miss. But a couple times today, shortly after that flash I checked the Chronicle page and sure enough it was illegible.

I don't _think_ the problem has to do with the condition of the card. It's only @6 months old, and the case interior was cleaned not all that long ago. I don't have any overheating going on -- checking a system monitor... CPU is at 56 degrees C (@60 is the breaking point for overheating). I will open up the case tower and take a closer look inside, make sure the card is entirely seated properly and the interior hasn't gathered any dust bunnies.
This is looking more like a video memory issue - reason is that you get a visual indictation of when the issue occurs, rather like a light bulb 'flaring' just an instant before it fails. You have a system that uses shared memory and that does cause problems with any application. I have a reasonably new laptop intel i5, shared memory, that corrupts standard spreadsheet displays when I run conditional formating. But .....

You are using an MSI motherboard and they provide a "Live Update" that updates BIOS and all other drivers. Might be worth having a look -> http://us.msi.com/service/download/
(29-03-2014, 12:31 PM)Daan Hugo Wrote: You may try to enable V-Sync (within ingame options) as this might help to avoid tearing.
I checked and discovered that the game has had V-sync enabled all along.

So, today I updated all of the MSI Live 5 items. Then I thoroughly cleaned the interior of the PC case (not that it needed it). Made sure the graphics card and all of its connection were tight and secure. So now EVERYTHING I can think of is up to date and up to snuff. (As best as I can determine.)

Started the game and 20 minutes in, *flash*, and the video tearing returned.

That flash would seem to indicate it's something mechanical. ("Flash" as in, imagine that for less than 1/10th of a second, the entire screen turned white. You would have to be looking right at the screen without blinking to even notice it happened.) HOWEVER, if it was a hardware problem, it would be something that most likely would occur while playing other games (yes, I do that from time to time) or surf the Internet, watch a YouTube video, or something of the sort. But this is the ONLY program where that flash occurs. Ergo, it's something related to _this_ game.

Hmm. Might it have something to do with the framerate being too taxing? Overall, this is a fairly powerful rig with oodles of RAM and VRAM and a 1 Tb HDD. The weak link is the quad core CPUs running at 2.33 Hz (each).
The flash on screen tends to indicate a sudden display change - like you get just before a screen saver comes on.

I agree it will be related to the game - but the games interaction with your machine. I doubt that the game will change, but it may be possible to adjust your machine to cater for it - Is this an "off the shelf" box or did you get it made up?
I assume you play in fullscreen mode. Did you tried to play in windowed mode too? You might try this:
- Start the game
- Alt+Enter to go to windowed mode
- Resize the window as you wish
- Play a little and watch if this happens again

Best regards,
Daan
(31-03-2014, 02:07 PM)billyplod Wrote: Is this an "off the shelf" box or did you get it made up?
Well, unless it's a Dell, HP, Packard Bell, Microsoft, etc., pre-packaged mass market model, it's going to be a Rube Goldberg mix-and-match of components. This PC started as such an assembly @10 years ago. Over the years, components were swapped out for new-and-improved components. Replace the video card with something more powerful, which requires a larger power supply, which allows for a more powerful motherboard with better CPU(s), etc. And of course, as games became MUCH larger, the hard drives needed to be bigger and bigger to fit all of those larger programs, along with a LOT more RAM and VRAM. So, definitely NOT "off the shelf".

The whole setup looks like the dxdiag report (attached).

I'm going to try playing in windowed mode now and see what happens.

Attached Files
.txt   DxDiag.txt (Size: 35.07 KB / Downloads: 127)
(31-03-2014, 05:29 PM)Daan Hugo Wrote: I assume you play in fullscreen mode. Did you tried to play in windowed mode too? You might try this:
- Start the game
- Alt+Enter to go to windowed mode
- Resize the window as you wish
- Play a little and watch if this happens again
I went to windowed mode and played for a couple hours -- which is by far the longest I've been able to go without the glitch happening. So I'm willing to concede that this works to keep the glitch from occurring. However, this begs the question: WHY does this fix the problem? What are the differences between full-screen mode and windowed mode that cause full-screen to glitch, but not windowed mode?
Windowed mode in general takes up more RAM and System resource to render the video output in to a "Window" but you get a slightly decreased frame rate. How that works is in practice will depend on the machine and the game. In P4s case the game isn't that video intensive, compared to a First Person Shooter for example, so you won't see much, if any, degrading of video performance but probably a bit more CPU intensive.

With your machine you more than enough extra "machine power" to not notice. The major difference, I believe, is that the PC rather than the video card, now has to translate the pixel positions - so you get that "video tearing" rendered by the PC in the proper position.
Hi!

To be honest, my guess was that there might be a driver issue (I guess everyone have seen that windows pop up once Tongue ) and due full screen mode you might havn't been able to see it until it's gone again. (Often a 'flash'-like effect happens when the driver is restored). So, the fact that this is fixing the issue was not quite intended Tongue The WHY might be explained by billyplod's explaination about this.

Best regards,
Daan
Hmm. Billyplod's explanation would seem to suggest that the _windowed mode_ would be having graphic display problems more so than full-screen. The translation process, I thought, passes through the CPU (the PC motherboard) and it is then the video card that does the translation to the screen. Hmm. A limitation of the monitor perhaps?

As for the driver being restored, in my case, the flash event has consistently been a one-way trip; once the video tearing starts, it won't stop. (At least not for the duration of several multi-hour sessions where the flash occurred within 20 minutes of starting.) Further, the driver currently in place is the absolutely most recent from Nvidia -- and in full-screen I still get flashed.
Windowed Mode is more resource intensive but it allows the PC operating system to deal with the graphical representation on screen. So any 'glitch' between the game and the video system has more chance to be ironed out when you have to go through the OS to display a window.

Windows can be any size - see pic. So now the OS is dealing with the video feed rather than the game going directly to the video subsystem.

This is a simplified explanation, but it seems to work.

[Image: http://www.image-share.com/upload/2498/206m.jpg]
(01-04-2014, 09:06 PM)billyplod Wrote: So now the OS is dealing with the video feed rather than the game going directly to the video subsystem.
Not arguing; just try to understand what you're saying.
So we have several elements in the work flow.
First is the OS which determines _how_ a program may process info, run the binary calculations of pretty much everything.
Next we have the program, which does the necessary calculations and dictates what is happening from both the program's instigation and also the interpretation of the user's inputs. (Mouse, keyboard, etc.)
Next, the program concludes what needs to be displayed on the monitor. It sends its commands to the video card...

...or if I'm understanding you correctly, back to the OS-controlled hardware.

Finally, either the commands come through the video card to shape the picture on the monitor, or else I'm guessing the graphics adapter built into the motherboard which then sends the image to the monitor.

Windows mode uses the OS + graphics adapter while full-screen uses the graphics card -- and it's when the display commands going through the video card that something builds up to critical mass, causing the glitch to trigger.

Way off the mark, aren't I? Sad
Again simplified but....

The game (all games really) use some form of "Middleware" basically modules that sit between the game outputs - sound and video - RAD game tools are the one I know best - but GM uses Scaleform and Havok (they reference them in the credits). The programmers don't want to have to deal with all the moves and scaling dealing with different video cards and sound outputs and that's what the Middleware does.

So while the game program does all the calculations and logic - the middleware acts like a subroutine in old simple FORTRAN or COBOL speak. The game passes "parameters" to these engines and the engine or Modules, deals with the outputs.

Trick is these middleware modules interface directly with Video Card / Sound Card drivers - because it's quicker and the video card also process this information and cards will pass off some of the processing to the Monitor - the Pixel mapping for example.

So when the game runs full screen the OS is a background job you aren't actually running windows, per say - ALT TAB will bring you back to windows if you have a windows "application" running but effectively the game has control. The Middleware can and does cut corners for speed and efficiency.

With Windowed mode MS Windows still has control and MS Windows has to run in line with all its rules so any interface to the video is within the guidelines. Slower but more stable.

A good analogy is texting,
BTW CID. BYKT, LOL. (Middleware)
By the way, consider it done. But you knew that, Laugh out loud. (Windows)

As long as both ends understand then the Middleware works but with Windows there can be no misunderstanding.
Ahh! Slowly the light grows brighter.

If I understand you correctly, there is a LARGE potential that the Middleware will not necessarily interface 100% correctly with a video card created after the program with the Middleware was released. All graphic drivers are mostly alike, so there probably won't be a catastrophic crash. But if the card has some exciting new-and-improved feature that is outside the Middleware's understanding, some element of the display may "hiccup". (As indicated by the flash that I see when in full-screen mode.) OTOH (on the other hand, ;^D, 8^D ), if the Middleware instead of sending data directly to the video card, it filters into the OS, then it's the OS interfacing with the video card -- and if anything, hardware manufacturers jump through hoops to make sure they interface with Windows 100% accurately if they want to get the MS Seal of Approval.

[Ever hear of a "Cartesian Fallacy"? Logical thinking does not guarantee correct thinking. I have this feeling that my paraphrasing seems logical, it may still nonetheless be far from accurate.]
I have a problem with "Rise of Dynasty".
I tried to reinstall patrician 4 and Rise of dynasty because of some problems with saves.
I reinstalled patrician 4 and it's working but after I try to play "Rise" after this reinstallation only the window appear and nothing happens. Just black "Rise of dynasty" window. Game doesn't start. It happens after log in screen. I tried to block this with firewall but it's not the reason it happens after it also.
Anyone can help me?
Please?