Modding
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Patrician-IV-G...s/16537278 Retail Disk in Box. Gold Edition. USA

In Stock ships on August 30, 2011. Finally I can get the real version! I will really enjoy the update 2.04. Sadly my old box copy of the original American P4 is no good ($20 USD).

Another $30 USD. to get a combination that will work if you want retail in your hands.

Now I am taking advantage of Steam special this weekend (AUGUST 15 ends)for only 16 USD you get both original and add-on. I am going to try to see if the add-on will work with the retail American version first (since it will complain about their key only -maybe they are different cop protections). I wish in future not to have so many incompatible versions portals.

Customer needs to spend 100 USD trying to figure out what is compatible, not fun. I will let you know what I find, to save you money in USA.
Hi!
Downloadable and retail version may not work together.
You don't have to spend all that money, because Kalypso mentioned it several times before.
Regards,Daan
delete function not working

(15-08-2011, 10:33 PM)Xerxes712 Wrote: delete function not working

What excactly do you mean with that sentence?
Regards,
Daan
(16-08-2011, 10:01 AM)Daan Hugo Wrote:
(15-08-2011, 10:33 PM)Xerxes712 Wrote: delete function not working

What excactly do you mean with that sentence?
Regards,
Daan

I want to delete the message completely but it does not work.

I says click to delete, then click over on the right hand side. A message pops up saying you do not have permission to delete message.

It forces you to have at least and certain length message.

-----------------------------------------------------

"Delete Post
Delete? To delete this post, check the checkbox to the left and then click the button to the right.
Note: If this post is the first post in a thread deleting it will result in deletion of the whole thread. " ---------------- Delete Now
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now hit Delete Now on the right it says "you do not have permission to delete this post"
Hi guys

is there a minimum value for number of starting cities and starting population?

i changed that to 8 and 500 respectively but the game did not like it (crashed while it was creating the new game)
you need one town for each region
for each goods at least one starrting town should produce it (- spice)
you need at least one hanseatic town (you can only start in hanseatic towns -> select one of the first 8 as start town)
it is usefull to have the spice-impoirt towns in the first 8

you have to edit a bunch of lines to accomplish that
in my opinion the easiest way is to use the openoffice file from here http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread...8#pid99198
(27-08-2011, 09:59 AM)Falko Wrote: you need one town for each region
for each goods at least one starrting town should produce it (- spice)
you need at least one hanseatic town (you can only start in hanseatic towns -> select one of the first 8 as start town)
it is usefull to have the spice-impoirt towns in the first 8

you have to edit a bunch of lines to accomplish that
in my opinion the easiest way is to use the openoffice file from here http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread...8#pid99198

thank you

i adjusted the numbers but left the cities as they are in the ini files so i assume the 8 it picked made it crash
(15-08-2011, 10:21 AM)Daan Hugo Wrote: Downloadable and retail version may not work together.
You don't have to spend all that money, because Kalypso mentioned it several times before.
Regards,Daan

I am not a happy customer. I understand that there may be work-arounds and all that (more $), but I simply wanted to show up at a store (in this case, Amazon.com), drop $20 for Patrician IV, and be able to decide what is produced in each of the towns on my game map.

As an American, we were not told about the Europe-only version of the add-on. Hence, it was not sold in our stores. Had I known that an add-on existed and that it was required to modify the game, then I'd have kept my $20 in my pocket until a moddable version came out. And I sure as hell am not going to download some European product to patch over my American boxed version on a "no guarantees!" basis.

I have learned my lesson with Kalypso, and I am not going to waste my money again.

I did not get what I want. It is far less of a struggle to simply return the game and shop better next time. I have had poor experiences with Ubisoft and Paradox, as well, as it seems like European video game makers operate a bit differently than we Americans would. Thank goodness that Amazon.com is an American company and I got my money back for the troubles. We simply do and expect things differently over here, apparently. After all, we're paying for it; we should get what we want. If not, then give us our money back. Simple as that. No need to backdoor us, as we say.

Take care, Daan. It looks to be uphill for you guys until Kalypso comes out with a product that Americans actually want.

See you.

Snootch
Hi Snootch!

Sorry, but I can't understand you excactly and sorry, the game does not provide what you expect it to.
In addition, I think I've seen a RoaD-Version available in the U.S. on the internet (I think even at the store you mentioned)... Besides, I told you about the possibility of an import.
Kalypso and Gaming Minds are in Europe, so don't be sad if you had to wait a little longer for the availability of a product. That may be the only difference between European and American cusumers. I'm sure that it is not Kalypso's fault, that you haven't got what you wanted. We're sorry, that your expectations have lead you to another sight on things. I was always willing to help you with your problems and I still am! (Take a look at the other post you wrote today, I got you an answer there too.) Furthermore, modding is a special service provided by us (GMinds) additional to your product. So, I think it is kind of unfair blame Kalypso or us if you're not able to mod your game.

Kind regards, Daan
(30-08-2011, 11:23 AM)Daan Hugo Wrote: So, I think it is kind of unfair blame Kalypso or us if you're not able to mod your game.

Patrician III was such a good game, so I guess the bar was set kind of high. I came to expect modding as part of the games that I like to play. (Strategy, RPG, etc.) I don't view modification as a bonus for games. I see it as a necessary offering. (Especially when it is so basic for a game like Patrician IV, for example.)

Maybe things have changed over the years... Makes me feel old. But I used to only buy games if they specifically advertised on the box that they included a map editor. I guess the industry is changing now.

But I won't be. Wink My money goes where I want it to go.

Sorry that Patrician IV was not what I expected. Maybe we can blame the customers for wanting too much. You know how we can be sometimes... wanting stuff and paying for it, and all. If blame must be assigned, then please feel free to blame ol' Snootch here. I always seem to want things that I can never get, so that is surely my own darn fault. I won't hold it against Kalypso or Gaming Minds ever again.

Thanks again, Daan. See you.

Snootch

P.S.
I will research more for the Patrician IV:
Gold Edition
game, if that ever becomes
available. When that price gets below $20,
then I will consider reinvesting in your
companies. Wink
Hi Snootch!

Thank you for your understanding, I'm not going to blame you for anything Wink
The 'missing' map editor is a result of the development of graphics. In P III the map was a 2D element and now it is 3D. This feature has changed with P IV as a standard of nowadays.
I'll take your constructive suggestion as a hint for our future games (as this wasn't the first time somebody missed an editor), but I can't promise it will be possible for every product.

I'm looking forward to help you with modding soon, again Wink

Best Regards, Daniel
hi guys

just as a note on the excel file provided for modding

i created a game with only 8 cities and 500 pop. i had enabled all roads

when i could have a road the wagon was never functioning properly ( it was saying that the duration was gonna take ages) and everytime u changed its destination and back the duration was increasing. at some point the wagon was in the middle of the sea on the map (which looked funny)
New mods to be released. The mod tools translated into English.

1) Realistic Ship Combat : Damaged sails really do slow down ship to zero. Lost crew does really slow down reload time greatly. Makes grape and chain shot effective. Speeds up battles too. Finished, testing now.

2) Free Market Economy : Now you can optionally under sale your competition to force him out of the market. Instead of flooding market....sell at a lost. Think "China".

3) Improved Trade Ships : Gives a reason to buy one of those fancy Hanse Cogs. Armed Trade ships option. Testing.

4) Arson Slander Mod : Fires and other dirty deeds really do hurt the competition now. WIP*

5) More buildings : WIP* I want to build more building with my stack of gold.

6) Three Item Production Chain : Not only two items but three required to produce some top wares. Changes in price structure. Needs testing for balance. Does AI understand it.
What's meant to a new MODs?
We can do the above my doing MOD? or a new add-on stuff?

Seems all items are new features, do-able those .ini files only?
how do you want to mod 4) and 5) ? the rest is doable (never tested 2) )
4 and 5 are wish in progress. Not doable for now.
Hi!
Interesting ideas Pi-Xerxes... I'll be curious waiting for your results Smile

I just added the source code of the missions.ini-file.
For example, it can be used for adjusting the spawn times of missions of the lord, which can be really annoying in the late game.
You'll find the code in the first post of this thread.

Best regards, Daan
-------------------------------------------
usage may causes trouble with older saves, a new game should avoid it..
Thanks. i like to spice up the game more.

I am testing Combat Mod where if you use chain shot and destroy the enemies sails, they do not move at now. Plus if the crew is down to zero, it takes a long time to reload the cannon fire. Working good so far.

ASFAIK the AI does not use anything but cannon balls, so it would make it easier for the player to destroy pirates, and for me, more interesting. I wish the pirate AI would use chain shot and grape shot also.

As I go through a full game, thing I find annoying, boring or can be improved upon I try to modify. I also read other post about how they like to play the game too. I could even make a NO pirate mod for those who wish no pirate activity. I seen that request quite a bit in relation to auto combat.

My other economy mod is to make a bit more interesting in production chain. Clothes need Cloth and some Pelts. Cloth needs Wool and some Hemp. Pitch needs Wood and some Brick for the cooking pots. Honey needs some Clothes (beekeepers do not want to get stung by bees) or maybe some Pitch to burn to make smoke to calm the bees to harvest the Honey. Iron miners need Tools. Wood need Tools. Cheese needs Cloth? molds/(-Meat product Milk) and some Salt. Iron Smelter needs Wood and Iron. Wine needs some Spice. Meat needs Salt and Grain. Beer needs Grain, Hops (-some Spice), and Water. Mead needs Honey and Water (beer? since we have no Water in game). I think there is no way to make two wares from one as was P2. Such as Cow makes Meat, Hides, and Milk. Wood production needs axes and they like to wear pelt hats so Wood uses Tools also (maybe Pelts). Bricks need some straw to make them strong along with the clay, so Brick needs some Straw (-Grain by product) plus maybe wood too to fire the bricks. Grain needs some Fish for fertilizer....better yet cow and sheep dung... Wool needs some Grain to feed goat (Grass fed) and some Hemp to bind the bails of Wool.

Of course a lot of testing for prices and make sure a state of "no return" does not happen. I like the interdependency. The wealthier classes use the higher end products, but many people new to the game like me, (and a shrewd merchant) will not provide them without a reason, so I create a real need to supply these high end products (Wine- Spice- Mead- Meat- Clothes), which are consumed and put back into the chain of production.

I would also like to change the mission delivery of wares to cities to something worth while. 100 Tonnes of Salt to Olso by a given date should pay real good money -more than in game offers. But if delivery it not made, a reputation +cost hit is occurred.
"
"2) Free Market Economy : Now you can optionally under sale your competition to force him out of the market. Instead of flooding market....sell at a lost. Think "China""
It is working in game. In fact the AI will use it against me! I made it so the price can be sold for less than production cost. It really does start a price war where I can go out of business, and so can the AI.
----------------------------------------
Prince Nag Reduction

[+Mission]
Name = LF16 ; several missions so I do not know which one this is.
Category = MCAT_SOVEREIGN
Logic = MissionLogic_LF16
Setup = MissionSetup_LF16
Text = MissionText_LF16
DisplayDuration = 7 ; how many days the quest is offered. I wonder if making this larger means more time between prince asking for stuff too. It may mean if not taken within 7 days he will get more angry.
MissionDuration = 30 ; how long you have to complete the quest. Well if this is longer also, less time for prince to get angry at you -say if it took 365 days...
IdleTime = 20 ; ** how often this particular quest occurs --20 days? or 20 hours? between completion. Make big for less request. Though less chance in time to make prince happy again?**
MaxCount = 8 ; Maximum number of such request can be made, there are only a total of eight princes.
MinRank = 0 ; the players minimum rank to embark upon quest.
(25-09-2011, 05:07 AM)Pi-Xerxes Wrote: I could even make a NO pirate mod for those who wish no pirate activity.
how?
i dont see that option anywhere in the modding files

(25-09-2011, 05:07 AM)Pi-Xerxes Wrote: My other economy mod is to make a bit more interesting in production chain. Clothes need Cloth and some Pelts. [..] Wool needs some Grain to feed goat (Grass fed) and some Hemp to bind the bails of Wool.
iron needs tools and tools needs iron
as soon as one of these goods is selled out your hanseatic league is finished
(in your example are longer chains therefore if one good of approx. 10 goods is sold out you cant "restart" the economy)

a good way to make a simple check for usability of tradesystemcheck is that:
-change the speed setting of 5x to something like 500
-create a new game
-lets the AI plat for 20 years (needs ~10 minutes in the background)
and you could get something like this:
(population statistic for the hanseatic league (8 start towns/professional difficulty))
[Image: http://patrizier-forum.de/index.php?page...mentID=628]
but that does not replace a real test

(25-09-2011, 05:07 AM)Pi-Xerxes Wrote: The wealthier classes use the higher end products, but many people new to the game like me, (and a shrewd merchant) will not provide them without a reason, so I create a real need to supply these high end products (Wine- Spice- Mead- Meat- Clothes), which are consumed and put back into the chain of production.
good idea but i would prefer produxction trees instead of production circle-chains
in trees you have some goods that can be produced without raw materials
should you only have one good (wood) as a raw material free good you have to be sure that the material to build the buildings can be created to (e.g. to build a brick maker you need only wood)
(25-09-2011, 05:07 AM)Pi-Xerxes Wrote: I would also like to change the mission delivery of wares to cities to something worth while. 100 Tonnes of Salt to Olso by a given date should pay real good money -more than in game offers. But if delivery it not made, a reputation +cost hit is occurred.
is this again "wish in progress" - sorry it seems i cant distinguish clearly between "i did it", "i know how to do to it", "it should be possible" and "i wish i could do it" in your posts Sad
(25-09-2011, 05:07 AM)Pi-Xerxes Wrote: "2) Free Market Economy : Now you can optionally under sale your competition to force him out of the market. Instead of flooding market....sell at a lost. Think "China""
It is working in game. In fact the AI will use it against me! I made it so the price can be sold for less than production cost. It really does start a price war where I can go out of business, and so can the AI.
the base price "WareXX_SWP" is the production price
the other relevant mod part is "[Preisfaktoren]" where you can change the max and min prices and "breakpoints" where the green/red led switches from zero green to one green, from one green to two green,...
you could change both values that you can sell cheaper than the AI without loss (i am not even sure you need to change the values for that) but wouldnt that change make "earning money" too easy?

you can change/switch the setup setup/logic/text lines in the missions.ini
e.g. if you switch the setup line between the lf09 mission and the l15 mission you can buy shares under 90% and can give moneydonations above 90% prince-reputation
Thank you for your insights. I can see you have studied and played with the partial modding that can be done. Smile

Maybe I got a head of myself thinking I could actually make some neat new changes. WIP.

How does one get missions.ini code into the game? I tried to copy paste the code, but the game crashes upon a save game load. Does one have to start a new game?
(25-09-2011, 10:18 PM)Pi-Xerxes Wrote: Does one have to start a new game?

Might be true... :/

There is work-around that shouldn't crash:
- Edit file and start game
- Play until a point of interest and save your game
- Delete missions.ini
- Load game and go on Smile

Best regards, Daan
I should say it crashed only when I tried to access the Assignment button page up in the upper right hand corner. After I remove the missions.ini file, I could load the save game and access the Assignment screen fine.

I did find if I change the normal product price in tradesystem.ini for wood from 33 to 0, the price in game was zero. But if I removed the change, the game does place the price back to 33 upon reloading the save game. However, I could not click on the wood icon in the counting house to sell wood. So Either do not change those prices or do not set it at zero!

The normal price ranges should never be set to zero, plus maybe the normal price needs to agree with the real cost or the game gets confused? The only side effect which requires me to start a new game, was I set the price of wood to zero, and then no ability is allowed to sell wood automatically any more via the counting house occurs. It changes the game save permanently.

update edit:

You can set to other values of wood price, such as 30 from 33, no problem. It only occurs if you set it to zero. Maybe the computer math does a divide by zero.

So if you wish to changes product ware prices, do not set them to zero.
missions.ini updated:
- causes no more crashes
- bottle post works again
In mission.ini, what do IdleTime and MinRank mean?

Also, I think LF16 refers to the "build a road" mission, but when I switch its setup with that of LF09 (pay cash), the "build a road" mission doesn't show up. Any hint? or any way to make "build a road" show more often?

Thanks
Hi!

IdleTime = time of idle
minRank = required rank

"Pay cash" doesn't have any high restrictions in comparison to "build a road". Therefore you need e.g. a higher reputation (90+(?)) at the Lord. I guess that's why the mission doesn't trigger.

Best regards, Daan
Daan, thanks for your post..but..

What do you mean by a time of idle? is it How long you have to wait for this to appear?
What do you mean by rank? is it like a title "travelling merchant" or "patrician"?

Is there anyway to make the "build a road" mission show up more easily? more specifically, is it possible to get rid of the 90+ reputation restriction?
To answer both "What-do-you-mean-by"-questions at once: Yes!

You still have to satisfy the lord. You can't change mission details. I'd suggest to lower the idle time and the required (minimum) rank and higher the durations, if you want to make the lord's missions as easy as possible.

Best regards,
Daan
You can set the towntype on 3, but if I do that Scarborough. I can't play it.
But if I set the towntype on 3 by Aalborg I can play it.

What do I wrong??

Grt, Crius
Scarborough has to be in the first 20 towns there is a "List" entry that creates a town "order" .. if you start with 20 towns the first 20 towns in that list are used if you start with 26 the first 26 in that list are used .. start with more cities or change the order