Modding
Hi everyone. I have recently returned to playing Patrician and downloaded the RoaD expansion and also have the Mod tool. I have managed to learn some of the .ini file language but there are a couple of things I have read here that I don't see/understand yet.
1) The rate of reputation fall for the prince, is there a way to lower it? or slow the rate of fall...
2) What is the signifigance of starting with a population less than the default average of 2000?( or 2500)

As I have yet to reach the level of play where inland cities come into play, am I right that there is a bug that fails to let you get missions to build raods to them? and if so should I paste the .ini missions into the game folder?
I will be looking at the missions tonight and will post any questions that come up.
Thank you all for the great info already posted.
1) no but you can "fix" some missions to get an easier way to keep the prince reputation up
2) there are less AI buildings to start with -> less money to buy a city and it is slightly harder to get money by trading in the first years (less demand/production)

as far as i know there is no bug in getting road building missions
Thank you Falko, and if I had read the previous posts carefully I would have seen where you all have answered my questions before.
I have copied the mission data from Daan's post on page one and pasted it into a Notepad document which I then changed into a Configuration Settings document and named it "mission". (does it matter what I named it as long as the data is in the .ini folder?)
I studied the posts by Mr_Fraer, Cete, Daan and Falko again to get a better understanding of what to do.
I will take all of the missions identified as "Sovereign" and change the data to lower the Idle Time to "1", Min Rank to "1 or 0", and raise the DisplayDuration to "15" MissionDuration to "45" (I am assuming the durations are in days)
I will also copy mission LF09 multiple times like Falko suggested. Then change the "Name=LF09" to graduating numbers LF17, LF18 etc...
Should I also change the "09" in the Logic/Setup/Text lines to match the name number? I will also delete missions LF13 & LF14 as I have no desire to cause any bad events in my cities.

Thank you all again.

P.S. If I lower the goods production cost from like 33 to 16, is the sale price going to go lower?
"Should I also change the "09" in the Logic/Setup/Text lines to match the name number"
no
"If I lower the goods production cost from like 33 to 16, is the sale price going to go lower?"
no you have to reset the base price it is somewhere in the tradesystem.ini if i remember correctly
Hi tooslow,
tooslow Wrote:...does it matter what I named it as long as the data is in the .ini folder?...
Yes!
The folder-name must be "ini" not ".ini" and the file-name must be "missions.ini" not "mission.ini". If the folder-name is wrong all files will be ignored, if any file-name is wrong the respective file will be ignored.

Regards,
Cete
I bought P4 from SteamPowered recently and there are just .fuk files in P4 folder and I would like to change the game speed. Should I copy .ini files to P4 folder and delete all .fuk files. Will it work?
modding is only available with the Addon!

but the game speed is changeable by "+" and "-" speed 1x to 5x and Space 10x
Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
[Image: http://imghost4you.com/images/46.png]
I have addon and I want to slow down the game. So it will works when I replace fuk files with ini files?

Thanks for answer
dont replace, this would destroy the installation!

have a look in the very first post in this thread from Daan, there is everything basic explained

but with the addon there is also game speed x0 and x0,1 available without modding. so what do you want exactly to slow down?
Lebe jeden Tag, als wäre es Dein Letzter! / Live each day as it would be your last!
(31-08-2012, 02:48 PM)Dorimil Wrote: dont replace, this would destroy the installation!

have a look in the very first post in this thread from Daan, there is everything basic explained

but with the addon there is also game speed x0 and x0,1 available without modding. so what do you want exactly to slow down?

speed x1 is too fast for me and x0.1 is very slow. so something between that. x0.5 should be probably ok
Hi sekernicek,

The fuk-file contains the game-data, the ini-files parameters used by the game.

Create a folder called "ini" as subfolder of your P4-folder.
Copy the ini-files into the new folder.
Open the file "gameplay.ini".
Search for "[GameSpeed]".
Alter the value of GAMESPEED_0_1 (= 0.1 ingame) or GAMESPEED_1 (= 1 ingame) to 5.

Regards,
Cete
(31-08-2012, 09:35 PM)Cete von Holstein Wrote: Hi sekernicek,

The fuk-file contains the game-data, the ini-files parameters used by the game.

Create a folder called "ini" as subfolder of your P4-folder.
Copy the ini-files into the new folder.
Open the file "gameplay.ini".
Search for "[GameSpeed]".
Alter the value of GAMESPEED_0_1 (= 0.1 ingame) or GAMESPEED_1 (= 1 ingame) to 5.

Regards,
Cete

Thanks mate, you are great. It works Smile
where I have install this files.ini?

Im still have no idea how to change it, Im in lunbeck I want more money and resources in my city, could you help me?
Hello

Could you help me

My city is Lubeck, how you will modify the ini files in order to play in this city?
Hi!

Just have a look at the first post of this thread. It will explain everything possible regarding modding of PIV Wink

Best regards,
Daan
I created two new cities, everything is fine except their names.
In map cityview and logbook, their names are all empty.
Is there a way to fix it?
Thanks!
Modified quote from the first post of this thread:
Q: Is there a possibility to change texts like the [...] the names of cities [...]?
A: No, that not possible by editing *.ini-files.

Best regards,
Daan
(20-12-2012, 11:53 AM)Daan Hugo Wrote: Modified quote from the first post of this thread:
Q: Is there a possibility to change texts like the [...] the names of cities [...]?
A: No, that not possible by editing *.ini-files.

Best regards,
Daan

Ok. Thank you.
Hello,

I'd like to know if it's possible to disable the "Fire" event from an advanced/professional game.

I find it too exagerated to have to deal with 999 fires every year, and wells don't seem to help, not even when placed as recommended in this forum.

So again, is there a way to disable the event through modding?

Thanks
(23-12-2012, 08:39 PM)Spaz Wrote: Hello,

I'd like to know if it's possible to disable the "Fire" event from an advanced/professional game.

I find it too exagerated to have to deal with 999 fires every year, and wells don't seem to help, not even when placed as recommended in this forum.

Thanks

Looks like it - In the Gameplay.ini there is a section
[Verbrauch]
Pest = 100
Ratten = 100
Feuer = 100 ----- this is fire
Rattenstart = 10, 30, 50

try setting it to 0 (zero) - I think though you may have to start a new game - I'm not sure.
(23-12-2012, 09:33 PM)billyplod Wrote:
(23-12-2012, 08:39 PM)Spaz Wrote: Hello,

Thanks

Looks like it - In the Gameplay.ini there is a section
[Verbrauch]
Pest = 100
Ratten = 100
Feuer = 100 ----- this is fire
Rattenstart = 10, 30, 50

try setting it to 0 (zero) - I think though you may have to start a new game - I'm not sure.

I tried but it didn't work. Also I think "Verbrauch" means "consumption" in german, not sure though. Is there another way?
@Spaz
If that isn't it the not that I can see - I searched for fire (obvious) - event (fireevent) - spread - percentage (chance that fire speads) - in the ini files - in English and German but nothing came up.
Hi guys,

I am just starting out with Modding, I would like to know if there is a way to change parameters in .INI file to start out with custom ammount of $$$ Gold?

1. Can this be done?
2. What parameters to change and which .INI file?

Also, could someone provide a Text file explaining what parameters make what changes to the game... Ex.

Gameplay.ini
What changes have what effect on the game?

Thank you
Hi ! ,

I have with some interest read some of what is written in this (and other) thread's stuff regarding modding (scrolled and read thread) plus I have peeked into the ini files provided in the first post in this thread but have not found any answer to the question I have or as how to.

For those that have read some of my original posts (originally posted using user name "Patrician_Player") you might have noticed that I am very unhappy with the altered ships battle system in "Patrician IV" where it in my opinion have been altered from being a strategy game (ref: Patrician III) to some kind of 3 D shooter ships battle and ships sailing simulator. Also I have been unhappy with the great number of pirates in the game and the time one have to dedicate to them , that they in my opinion are too difficult to handle even on "easy" and that I at auto resolve ships battles either looses battle or atleast don't capture any ships. (Also I find it a bit annoying that system have been changed to only a limited number of ships in convoy can be fighting ships + ofcourse the obscene captains training fees).

Apart from the above mentoned then I have not had any dissatisfaction with changes in gameplay (as far as I have played the game! and I am e.g. not a critic of changes such as that building materials now have to be taken from market and not from warehouse , and so on)

However since I have read some of this modding information I would like to ask if there is anyone that know if one can mod the game so ones fleets in "auto resolve battle" will always win without loss and even capture a ship or two ???? (and will inform exactly how to do it)
In Patrician III I generally have no problems playing ships battles as they in my eyes are played purely strategically and though some may see the above modding request as pure cheating then for me it is only meant as a tool/means to escape what I hate about the game !!!!

I have ofcourse noticed that modding requires the expansion to Patrician IV so I am able to report that I ofcourse also have the expansion though I never play the Patrician IV game for the reasons given..... (In fact I have both Patrician IV and it's expansion as BOTH GamersGate version AND as SteamPowered version - so I have two copies of each though I never play the game - don't know , maybe I hoped that someday the game would be altered so it were more pleasureable playing for players such as myself that prefers leisure like strategy games over 3D shooter Sailing Sim batles + over difficult pirates that takes too much doing and energy)

Any modding script - if anyone have one - (with instruction of which ini file to put in) that would enable that ones fleets in "auto resolve battle" will always win without loss and even capture a ship or two would very much be appreciated !!!!
(That way I could play the "Patrician IV" game without caring about not liking the ships battle system or the too difficult pirates)
Also I would be interested in same type of MOD for "Port Royale 3" !!!
(03-04-2013, 01:24 PM)FiatLux Wrote: However since I have read some of this modding information I would like to ask if there is anyone that know if one can mod the game so ones fleets in "auto resolve battle" will always win without loss and even capture a ship or two ???? (and will inform exactly how to do it)
In Patrician III I generally have no problems playing ships battles as they in my eyes are played purely strategically and though some may see the above modding request as pure cheating then for me it is only meant as a tool/means to escape what I hate about the game !!!!

You do not need modding to reach that goal. a convoy with a captain with fighting skill 5 and three cogs (later hulks) fully equipped and you will win every battle! at skill of 5 the captain will also capture a ship. which one is random and can be changed by save/load.

what you can do with modding to ease the battles is a "real battleship"...give the kraveel 60 or more cannons and you will have more firepower than a british liner! Cool dont use a normal cog or hulk for that, because these ship types will be used by pirates also, so they could get the modded ones also.
the other possibility is to mod the ammo. the KI does not use chain shots, so you can mod that ammo in a way, that you only need one or two shots to sink a ship...

but what figures, lines or whatever has to be changed in the ini files...i dont know....probably billyplod, Falko or Cete could help here
(03-04-2013, 05:23 PM)Dorimil Wrote: You do not need modding to reach that goal. a convoy with a captain with fighting skill 5 and three cogs (later hulks) fully equipped and you will win every battle! at skill of 5 the captain will also capture a ship. which one is random and can be changed by save/load.

Thank you very much for your answer "Dorimil" ,
but I am afraid that that just leaves me right back where I started a couple of years ago because one do not start with :
"a convoy with a captain with fighting skill 5 and three cogs (later hulks) fully equipped "
and also even if I had had it and did it then they would probably just sink the pirate ships and one then do not get any ships by battle as in Patrician III.

Also I think that it will just be back to the many post like years ago about do this and do that to achieve this or that and all I am looking for is the same strategically controlled non b.s. trade game experience that Patrician III presented.....

I can see now that my question were in vain , because I only asked because I could not see any way myself to MOD the game to be easier with the pirates and battles per "Autoresolve" by the MOD possibilities I saw presented....
I think that it probably still would need a game engine fix to make the game more docile for those that prefer the strategic ships battles over the Sailing & shooting Sims one... (I won't carry on - dicussion will just be like a couple of years ago)

I just wish that Kalypso Media had understood the difference between a Sailing Sim 3D Shooter and a strategy game prior to making the game. I mean if one looks at "East India Company" then that at least offers "arcade mode" for ships battles which makes it quite nice to play and the battles a non hassle despite that the game has more flaws....

I guess that I will never really get to enjoy the Patrician IV and Port Royale 3 games that I have bought. But I think that it is sad cause there is a lot of nice and new stuff in the games that I appreciate , but in my opinion they are just not leisure like strategy games with respect to pirates and ships battles..

But thank you very much for the help and the kind response anyway...
@ FiatLux:

If not mistaken there are trainers present in the game. What you can do is to sail your battle-convoy to that particular town - I believe it was Reval, but not sure about it - and train your captain until he got lvl 5 battle skills.
Yes, I'm aware that'll cost you some money, however, there's a game flaw you can use.

In Pat 3 your promotion got achieved by increasing your movable and immovable assets as well as your reputation. Therefore you often increased rank after capturing a ship or buying a building in an auction.
In Pat 4 promotion is focussed at movable and immovable assets, meaning if you stop focussing at that, you won't increase rank.
Trainers in Pat 4 are unlocked at a certain rank. So all you need to do is to figure out when they are unlocked - I believe when achieving the "Wholesaler" rank - find that battle trainer and start training your captain(s) to become better fighters.
If you think it's too expensive: by using this "flaw", I was able to order 24 cogs, 5 crayers and 2 snaikka's before building my first industry. Considering I had to pay an average of 47.5K for a cog, 30K for a crayer and 19K for a snaikka, you can imagine the amount of money I made in the first ranks. And I play the game at "professional" level, meaning less profit to make.

Now, as for my own question about modding:

Has anyone ever considered to change the ships agilities?
I'm asking because I'm getting a bit sick and tired of simple snaikka's running circles around and being able to damage my crayers, while I'm unable to damage them.
IMHO the agility of the crayers is too low compared to the snaikka (100%) and cog (80%).
Another thing I'm curious about is: has anyone ever managed to adjust the ship's speed after all sails are destroyed? In theory a ship is subject to the wind and current, thus giving it a "top speed" of 1-2 knots. When playing the game, damaged ships are still able to get 5-6 knts speed and able to make sharp turns; which seems a bit too "unnatural" to me.

Thorin Smile
Hack seinen Kopf ab. Ich brauche einen Aschenbecher!
(16-04-2013, 01:11 PM)Thorin Oakshield Wrote: @ FiatLux:

If not mistaken there are trainers present in the game. What you can do is to sail your battle-convoy to that particular town - I believe it was Reval, but not sure about it - and train your captain until he got lvl 5 battle skills.
Yes, I'm aware that'll cost you some money, however, there's a game flaw you can use.

In Pat 3 your promotion got achieved by increasing your movable and immovable assets as well as your reputation. Therefore you often increased rank after capturing a ship or buying a building in an auction.
In Pat 4 promotion is focussed at movable and immovable assets, meaning if you stop focussing at that, you won't increase rank.
Trainers in Pat 4 are unlocked at a certain rank. So all you need to do is to figure out when they are unlocked - I believe when achieving the "Wholesaler" rank - find that battle trainer and start training your captain(s) to become better fighters.
If you think it's too expensive: by using this "flaw", I was able to order 24 cogs, 5 crayers and 2 snaikka's before building my first industry. Considering I had to pay an average of 47.5K for a cog, 30K for a crayer and 19K for a snaikka, you can imagine the amount of money I made in the first ranks. And I play the game at "professional" level, meaning less profit to make.

Hi "Thorin Oakshield"

Thank you very much for taking your time to advice me.
The problem however is that for me the Pirates are killing the game from quite early on so I think that the only thing that would really work for me would be a company MOD for the two games (Patrician IV and Port Royale 3) so that on say "Easy mode" with "always win against pirates" MOD in autobattle set to ON ( eventually with no public "acheivements" as "penalty" for chosen mode) then one could simply stop having to deal with the battle Sailing Sim 3 D shooter part of the game and play the games as the strategy games they ought to have been (reference : ships battles and rest of game in Patrician III and Port Royale 1) .

Also I think that this would only take very few lines of code changed in the games, like e.g.

In Game Setup Menu :
Mode switch setup choice for user to choose to set "always win against pirates" MOD in autobattle set to ON .
("always win against pirates" MOD in autobattle Variable Value set to true if chosen)

At internal program code execution entry to ships batlle with autobattle chosen by user then at entry to auto batle section of code then code like :
If "always win against pirates" MOD in autobattle set to ON then battle won + player wins X pirate ship(s) through boarding enemy vessel if having correct ammo for procedure.
Exit auto battle sub routine ...

Online Acheivements Program code :
If game menu game Mode switch setup choice for user "always win against pirates" MOD in autobattle set to ON then no gain in online Acheivements ..

I know that this is not written in proper program code , but I mean how many lines of code can it take to make an extra menu choice and to route any auto battle execution to "always win" through adding a in Variable Value that can be checked at entry to autobattles and then give the result "Battle won" or so....

I know to some that this will sound as I ask for a cheat , it is however under no circumstance meant as being a cheat but rather as a bridged solution to the problem that Pirates and Ships Battles has become both too difficult and a pest in Patrician IV and Port Royale 3 for those players that like I would like to play these games as leisure strategy and trade games and really hates all the Sailing Sim 3 D shooter battle elements and the hassle of dealing with the pirates (which were no hassle in Patrician III and Port Royale 1 as far as I am concerned).
There haven't been some "official" support for this game for quite some time, so I doubt that mod you're thinking of will ever be released.

I do however agree with you that the pirates are more of a PitA as they were in P3. I got one blocking Aalborg which basicly attacking every convoy passing that city. Meaning I've more or less provided him with enough goods to build 2 massive hide-outs by now, as I have routes visiting all cities.

I did a little test in my game and there is indeed a big improvement when using the trainer to get your battle-captains to lvl 5.
At lvl 3 I lost every fight and even manual fights were taking quite some time, or frustrating enough I decided to re-load.
At lvl 4 fights were easier, although they still were frustrating enough to make me re-load on a few occasions.
At lvl 5 fights were still tough, but the greatest improvement is the amount of damage done, meaning your chances to win are better.
It's still worth it to give it a try.

As for comparison the battles of P3 and P4:
in P3 the pirates always tried to board your ships and because of that you knew two ships were shooting at you, while the third tried to board you. Because of that, you also knew two ships were trying to flank you, while the third tried to approach you from the center behind. Not to mention there were underwater cliffs at the battle-map; which also had limited space, thus giving you the opportunity to flee when needed.
In P4 there is no boarding, so the pirates try to sink your ships instead. Because of that their tactics are less predictable, because all 3 ships now turn to get a shot at you. There aren't any underwater cliffs you can use to disrupt a pirate's ship's course and you can't flee.
This made the battle harder in general.

So, as I see it you got 2 options.
1) Create the mod you want yourself, as it's very unlikely GM/Kalypso is going to do it.
2) Abandon all naval-battles until you're able to build the right ships (big ones!) and train your captains up to lvl 5 without a problem. Disadvantage of that is that you're going to loose quite an amount of money and/or goods.

If you still want to discuss the naval battles, their pro's and cons and possible changes that should be made to them, I suggest we move to another topic and leave this one dedicated to Modding alone.

Thorin Smile
Hack seinen Kopf ab. Ich brauche einen Aschenbecher!
(16-04-2013, 05:50 PM)Thorin Oakshield Wrote: There haven't been some "official" support for this game for quite some time, so I doubt that mod you're thinking of will ever be released.

----Snip

If you still want to discuss the naval battles, their pro's and cons and possible changes that should be made to them, I suggest we move to another topic and leave this one dedicated to Modding alone.

Thorin Smile

Hi "Thorin Oakshield"

Thank you for a constructive answer to my post...

I will agree to not make any more comments I would like to make, regarding to what you wrote with regards to ships battles and pirates, in this thread to keep it on MOD topic.

However , with repsect to the MOD topic then I think that :
A) Gaming Minds could make the game a lot more enjoyable for a lot of people frustrated with the games by adding/altering very little of the program code.
and
B) While Patrcian IV is not exactly new then I suspect that if one pops the hood on Port Royale 3 then one would find a lot of the engine the same as Patrician IV so Gaming Minds could probably use the code alterations suggested in both games and Port Royale 3 is newer..
and
C) Gaming Minds ought not underestimate the value of making already made games more playable and enjoyable as I think that it would both make company look better and give a lot more people a potential better future joy of game play new buyers as well as present dissatisfied owners.

And my argument will remain that if Gaming Minds are skilled then it ought only cost a minimum of effort and very little added/changed game code to provide users/game players with the option of an alternative kind/version of game play through an optional altered ships battle autoresolve execution setting.. ....

P.S.
Even if I had the ability myself to program in whatever code language is used for the games then I could not make even such minor alterations/additions without full access to games source code. And even if one have access to the code of a program that could consist of many thousand lines of code then unless code were properly commented for easily maintanence then it could still be a major work for someone that have to start from zero though those that have originally have made the game ought to be able to implement minor code additions/alterations as suggested here with a minimum of effort... Apart from GUI (GUI are often build using a RAD drag and drop development like enviroment) Game settings alterations options then with respect to any actual written code changes/additions then they ought be able to be boiled down to very few lines as it ought to be a simple matter of setting a code flag for the mentioned user settting and then by the use of some simple "If..Then..Else" code at entry of autoresolve battle execution code part simply if mentioned code FLAG is ON then state battle result and then after that route code execution directly to Battle Auto execution subroutine EXIT....